Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm interfering with Vodafone Broadband?

• 30-01-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post. Just wondering does anyone have experience of their house alarm "using up" broadband speed? recently moved in with the otherhalf and her house is on a country road so naturally the broadband isnt the best. Its supposed to be a 3MB line - not that i expect to get 3mb out of it but 1mb would be nice.

The thing is there is an alarm on the house that calls out to certain numbers if the alarm goes off (kinda like eircom phone watch). The alarm doesnt ring out anymore as the numbers have been taken off it but its still connected to the phone line. i want to disable the call out feature altogether but still have the alarm as i believe it is slowing the internet down in the house. Is there any way to do this without getting out an electrician?

Sorry for the long winded post

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Basically , if its done correctly the phone line will be going to the alarm first & then back to your house phones. To check if the alarm is at fault disconnect the line in & line out from the alarm & join the line in to the line out.
    If the line improves then you need an alarm filter like this one/:
    B6-ACT431-2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭jones

KoolKid wrote: »
    Basically , if its done correctly the phone line will be going to the alarm first & then back to your house phones. To check if the alarm is at fault disconnect the line in & line out from the alarm & join the line in to the line out.
    If the line improves then you need an alarm filter like this one/:
    B6-ACT431-2.gif

Cheers koolkid I'll take a look tomorrow. Where would the alarm be connected to the phone line? I'm not home tonight but I'll try find it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the dialler in the alarm panel. The terminals will be Marked either AB CD or line in /Phone etc.

Just an update: Vodafone are calling out on wednesday as the broadband just gave up last week and seems to be some major problem. hopefully they can sort out this alarm issue too (if there is one)

It seems like the broadband connection is the problem not the alarm.
    It's not likely that Vodafone will look at the alarm connection. They are more likely to disconnect it regardless in my experience.

• Advertisement

that'll be perfect if they do that as its not being used anyway and i've a sneaking feeling its robbing me of valuable mb's haha!! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

KoolKid wrote: »
    It seems like the broadband connection is the problem not the alarm.
    It's not likely that Vodafone will look at the alarm connection. They are more likely to disconnect it regardless in my experience.
    Can we see your Vodafone line statistics?

I'm in work at the moment so no can do!! do you mean logging onto the router?

jones wrote: »
    I'm in work at the moment so no can do!! do you mean logging onto the router?
    Yes sir, we'll be able to see your current sync and noise margin as well as any CRC errors which can be caused by interference.

Excellent stuff i'll do that later so! Cheers for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I too have a very similar issue ?
    I got in touch with the engineer who installed the alarm and he said he would be shocked if the alarm was causing the issue.

The engineer ran through what needs to be done to disconnect the alarm from phone line but didnt want to go down that route but may have to.

And i was with vodafone, moved to Sky and still seeing crap speeds.
    My sky hub says 6mb but I am lucky to get 2mb

Will follow this with a keen interest.

I too have a very similar issue ?
    I got in touch with the engineer who installed the alarm and he said he would be shocked if the alarm was causing the issue.

The engineer ran through what needs to be done to disconnect the alarm from phone line but didnt want to go down that route but may have to.

And i was with vodafone, moved to Sky and still seeing crap speeds.
    My sky hub says 6mb but I am lucky to get 2mb

Will follow this with a keen interest.
    Can we see your line stats too please?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

i am in work aswell.

i am in work aswell.
    Will follow this for later so :)

Ok i logged onto my router which weirdly enough seems to be connecting to the internet now (??) which stats will i send on?

Is this it?

Ok i logged onto my router which weirdly enough seems to be connecting to the internet now (??) which stats will i send on?

Is this it?
    That is the correct page but can you paste the screenshot into paint, save it as .JPEG or .PNG and upload it to imgur.com and paste the link in.

PS: Regardless of internet access, you will always be able to access the internal Vodafone router since its local.

how about this: i'll try your way now also

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2
    Line Coding: Trellis On
    Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin (dB): 8.2 22.3
    Attenuation (dB): 63.0 39.3
    Power (dBm): 0.0 12.8
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 472 448
    Rate (Kbps): 211 124
    MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 11 11
    B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 26 17
    M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 4 1
    T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 1
    R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16 0
    S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 15.7460 4.3636
    L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 63 33
    D (interleaver depth): 2 1
    Delay (msec): 7 1

Super Frames: 231711 215403
    Super Frame Errors: 1102 4294967246
    RS Words: 984776 0
    RS Correctable Errors: 300973 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors: 2969 N/A

HEC Errors: 644 7
    OCD Errors: 48 0
    LCD Errors: 0 0
    Total Cells: 1928359 66646
    Data Cells: 1511854 9372
    Bit Errors: 0 97

Total ES: 4812 1
    Total SES: 1108 1
    Total UAS: 25579 0

here's the imgur link

http://imgur.com/c5aNhSQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

They look like terrible stats tbh. Have you plugged a filter into every phone socket being used in the house. Yes this includes the alarm. Trust me a filter makes all the difference in the world.

here's the imgur link

http://imgur.com/c5aNhSQ
    You are syncing at 452kpbs, that's not even a valid profile (512, 1024, 2048, 3072 etc) and your attenuation is 63dB - that alone means your line could maybe hit 1MB. Attenuation can be compared by saying 1dB is 100M so you are about 6KM from your local exchange. What speed have Vodafone got you on?

Also, make sure your broadband is connected through the DSL side of the filter. How many phone points have you got in your house? Where is the BB connected?

• Advertisement

I know its terrible speed wise! :-( First world problems.

The line is 2mb (so vodafone told me) it was originally quoted as being 3MB by Eircom though. There is no phone in the house at all and there are two telephone points in the house, the BB is plugged into the main eircom point and there is nothing in the second point at all. Only other thing that could be interfering with the line in the house is the house alarm.

This is why was thinking there is something majorly wrong with the line or alarm interfering as the speeds are just so slow when really I should be seeing faster than this. A Vodafone engineer is coming out tomorrow morning so hopefully I’ll have some sort of answer regarding the speed then. As for the distance from the exchange this could obviously be an issue too but the neighbour right beside us 'apparently' gets 2/3mb speeds so surely it can’t be that?? confused.com

I know its terrible speed wise! :-( First world problems.

The line is 2mb (so vodafone told me) it was originally quoted as being 3MB by Eircom though. There is no phone in the house at all and there are two telephone points in the house, the BB is plugged into the main eircom point and there is nothing in the second point at all. Only other thing that could be interfering with the line in the house is the house alarm.

This is why was thinking there is something majorly wrong with the line or alarm interfering as the speeds are just so slow when really I should be seeing faster than this. A Vodafone engineer is coming out tomorrow morning so hopefully I’ll have some sort of answer regarding the speed then. As for the distance from the exchange this could obviously be an issue too but the neighbour right beside us gets 2/3mb speeds so surely it can’t be that?? confused.com
    Well in that case, it's definitely the monitored alarm doing the dirty on your phone line :P If your technically able, I would disconnect it myself or be patient for Vodafone tomorrow. Because of the current setup, it doesn't matter if you had the best filter connected to the phone point, the alarm is connected before the point itself so it would be grand for a phone call - nightmare for a DSL connection since it's so susceptible to interference. Keep up updated :)

PS: Your neighbours line could be on a completely different exchange believe it or not but I have a feeling that the alarm is affecting the attenuation as well so check and post up the stats first thing after it's disconnected to do a comparison.

Thats what i'm hoping anyway. Will Vodafone actually go near the alarm though? would they not tell me its something i'd have to sort out myself? I dont want the alarm going anywhere near the phone line especially if its effecting speed.

Cheers for all the help guys much appreciated

Thats what i'm hoping anyway. Will Vodafone actually go near the alarm though? would they not tell me its something i'd have to sort out myself? I dont want the alarm going anywhere near the phone line especially if its effecting speed.

Cheers for all the help guys much appreciated
    Think that will depend on the chap that comes out, he might suggest you get an electrician to do it or be sound and do it for you.

haha with any luck!

I'll let you know tomorrow...hopefully

Advertisement