Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Passport

Options
  • 30-01-2013 6:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Ok, basically I need some help regarding applying for the Working Holiday Visa!

I'm currently in possession of a British Passport, have had it 8 years now, been brought up all my life in Ireland but I was born in England & my parents sorted out my first passport for me (which I'm still using).

I know in order to apply for the WHV you need to be an Irish Passport holder, today I've begun the process of getting one, but first I need to need for citizenship etc. I've rang Usit & explained my position & asked them Is there a possibility I can apply for the Visa while waiting for my Irish Passport to come, which could take up to 4 weeks & even they didn't know & advised me to email an embassy which I have but got an instant email back explaining it will take up to 3 days for my email to be answered.

I'm just wondering has anybody been through the same thing or knows anyone who has or even anybody have any advice for me please? Starting to think I'm going to miss the boat on this years programme!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

You can't apply for the visa while waiting for a passport to come through. You need to have a valid passport at the time of applying. So it says anyway in the FAQ section of the IEC website. Why don't you just apply through the British IEC website using your British passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Jeez i dunno mate are your parents Irish? if not would you be even eligible for an Irish passport? since you have a British passport would you not just wait and apply for your visa with them? from what i am reading there iec has not opened yet and it will do today or tomorrow as this will be your best bet. the irish iec has only 2,287 left with 4000 going in the first 48 hours so i cant imagine there will be to many left in 4 weeks. and tbh i cant see your application for your Irish passport going through in 4 i would say more like 8 weeks at least i dont think its as simply as heading in the British one and getting an Irish :( Let us know how ya get on mate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

You can't apply from Ireland with a British passport (I know, I had to get an Irish one), cos they have a habitual residency condition on their applications that was removed from the Irish ones this year. That means you must prove your primary residence is in the UK. If you were born in Ireland (even to English parents - I was) you are an Irish citizen and are entitled to an Irish passport. You would have an Irish birth cert, which you need to apply for the passport, as well as photo ID, proof of name and proof of address then the stamped photos from the guards

EDIT: Just seen the OP was born in the UK. OP are either of your folks Irish? If so you are entitled to an Irish passport, if they are both British I think you may have a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

hdowney wrote: »
    You can't apply from Ireland with a British passport (I know, I had to get an Irish one), cos they have a habitual residency condition on their applications that was removed from the Irish ones this year. That means you must prove your primary residence is in the UK. If you were born in Ireland (even to English parents - I was) you are an Irish citizen and are entitled to an Irish passport. You would have an Irish birth cert, which you need to apply for the passport, as well as photo ID, proof of name and proof of address then the stamped photos from the guards

EDIT: Just seen the OP was born in the UK. OP are either of your folks Irish? If so you are entitled to an Irish passport, if they are both British I think you may have a problem.

Both my folks were born in England too but both have Irish Passports. I've applied for my Irish Passport, there's no problem in me getting one it's just I've left it too late for the Canada Visa I feel! It will take up to 4 weeks for me to receive my Irish Passport, I don't think there's going to be Visa's available by then, nearly 5,000 gone already!!

why don't you apply for the England one since you have an English passport? there iec is not open yet:D

• Advertisement

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    why don't you apply for the England one since you have an English passport? there iec is not open yet:D

No can do! I've lived in Ireland all my life, have to have proof of habitual residence in the UK to apply for there visa when it opens! I'm well & truly f*cked I think this year.

jeez that's a bollix lad.all the best anyway and the Irish one might come good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

gstack166 wrote: »
    Both my folks were born in England too but both have Irish Passports. I've applied for my Irish Passport, there's no problem in me getting one it's just I've left it too late for the Canada Visa I feel! It will take up to 4 weeks for me to receive my Irish Passport, I don't think there's going to be Visa's available by then, nearly 5,000 gone already!!

It's not actually that nearly 5,000 visas are gone, it's that nearly 5,000 people have been conditionally accepted i.e. passed the first stage of the application and moved on to the second. A lot of those could still get denied a visa and places will become available again. So don't give up hope just yet!

I didn't realise they still kept the habitual residency rule for UK applicants, that is unfortunate!

Couple of noseys (tell me to f off if ya want). How come if both your folks were born in UK they have Irish passports? Were their folks Irish? Also how come it is gonna take your passport 4 weeks. I was first time applicant for an Irish passport and it took less than 10 working days for me?
    bopper wrote: »
    It's not actually that nearly 5,000 visas are gone, it's that nearly 5,000 people have been conditionally accepted i.e. passed the first stage of the application and moved on to the second. A lot of those could still get denied a visa and places will become available again. So don't give up hope just yet!

I didn't realise they still kept the habitual residency rule for UK applicants, that is unfortunate!

It is isn't it. I'da loved to have applied on the Brit passport I have instead of going through all the rigmarole of getting an Irish one, but meh tis done now

hdowney wrote: »
    Couple of noseys (tell me to f off if ya want). How come if both your folks were born in UK they have Irish passports? Were their folks Irish? Also how come it is gonna take your passport 4 weeks. I was first time applicant for an Irish passport and it took less than 10 working days for me?

It is isn't it. I'da loved to have applied on the Brit passport I have instead of going through all the rigmarole of getting an Irish one, but meh tis done now

My Grandparents on both sides are all Irish, they lived & worked in the UK since there early teens from the 50's, they all saw to it that there kids were brought up Irish in every way possible, but it takes up to 4 weeks for me because I've only ever used an English passport (I had to get one quick for a school tour years ago) it was the easiest & fastest to get at the time so I just kept renewing that Passport, but now to apply for an Irish one, I first have to fill forms in to become a citizen of Ireland etc. load of b*llix but has to be done! Hopefully, hopefully I end up getting one in time, my own fault really, I've known for a few months I had to get this done but as always, I left it till the last minute!

• Advertisement

My Grandparents on both sides are all Irish, they lived & worked in the UK since there early teens from the 50's, they all saw to it that there kids were brought up Irish in every way possible, but it takes up to 4 weeks for me because I've only ever used an English passport (I had to get one quick for a school tour years ago) it was the easiest & fastest to get at the time so I just kept renewing that Passport, but now to apply for an Irish one, I first have to fill forms in to become a citizen of Ireland etc. load of b*llix but has to be done! Hopefully, hopefully I end up getting one in time, my own fault really, I've known for a few months I had to get this done but as always, I left it till the last minute!

Ah the citizen thing must be what pushes the time out. Bit of a bugger. I was the same with leaving everything to the last minute, then panickin that the passport wouldn't be back with the visa process opened! Good luck

Advertisement