Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat question

• 30-01-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to ask from experiences of others with cats has anyone tried crate training with them. I know some say you cant train a cat like you can a dog but I think you can and so far my new cat understands when I say up on your chair and no and so on. My problem is when I leave for an hour to visit my Gran I always have cleaning to do when I get home as she wont stay off the counter tops at all. She always does it after using the litter tray and I cant have this continuing as I wont put my baby's health at risk. So can it be done or does anyone else have something that worked for them?
    My last two cats I had from kittens and they learned from day one so I never had this problem with them and right now its too risky for this to be happening.
    She sometimes does it when Im here and I say no and she gets down right away and goes to her chair but Im not always here to catch it and she wont settle in any other room in the house plus there not set up for her to be in as Im doing the house up and not unpacked yet (moved here few weeks before christmas)

thanks for any advice you may have

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Double sided tape. Have it up around 5cm around the ledge were she'd jump up for 2 weeks and she'll never try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've read on some cat forums about a thing called Ssscat. Its an unscented,cat safe, motion sensored aerosol that sprays when a cat passes it. The idea is that after a couple of scares the cat will see it as a hostile area and stop getting up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

thanks for your reply's i will try both as it isn't hygienic and is down right annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think the best thing to do is close the kitchen door altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Its really just about getting up high for the cat. They love to be able to survey the area. We have a shoe cabinet in our kitchen and a huge scratching post beside it. One of our cats loves to run up the post, swing himself sideways and then land on top of the shoe cabinet. He'll sit watching whatever is going on in that room and he knows where our other chap is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I think the best thing to do is close the kitchen door altogether.

She's in the kitchen so door been shut wont change anything, she doesnt like any other room in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is there something higher than the counters that she can get up on? Maybe combining the above suggestions with a tall scratching post thingy that she can sit on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

I don't have this problem myself unless the cat is looking for attention, but I've heard of people putting a strip of tin foil on the landing area of counter.

Advertisement