Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband without Eircom Lines

Options
  • 30-01-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I thought this would be an easy find, but its proving more difficult than i thought.

I'm currently paying €17 a month for O2 Broadband (15gb limit), but I'm looking to see if there is anything else out there under €25 a month and that doesnt rely on Phone lines and has a higher download limit (15GB can be a bit small especially with on demand tv).

We are locked in a 12 month contract with Sky and dont have an eircom phone line.

I see wimax is €25 a month, but there is an intial charge of €150 to get going and I'm worried about putting an ugly aerial up on our old Victorian house.

I vaguel remember a friend a few years ago having a wireless router like the O2 router that connected to a local mast.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭jc77

I signed up with meteor before Xmas, 18month contract, €25/month reduced to €15/month for first 12months, 50GB allowance

[edit] cant find the deal on the site, but had to buy the mobile wifi thing.
    The plan is: Mobile Broadband Unlimited 18 Months

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky are doing broadband now & have an unlimited package.AFAIK initial signups are closed for now but worth giving them a call,some posters got it for €10 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was just coming to post the same question.

I need always on, unltd broadband at a good, reliable speed. No wimax or mobile please.

Heard about sky and saw a billboard from vodafone saying somehing along the lines of "Don't use your home phone? Simply broad band from €30 a month"

I'm paying €52.63 a month with Eircom now. The service and speed is fine, but am hoping there's better out there now?

I have that VF broadband package,averaging 10Mb speeds & I got 150gb limit added on which brings the price up to about €35 per month.

Eircom told me I'd get "up to 8mb"

What package is that zerks? Do you not pay landline etc so? Is it done like regular DSL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

cormie wrote: »
    What package is that zerks? Do you not pay landline etc so? Is it done like regular DSL?

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/broadbandonly/

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

I got smart broadband for €29.99 which includes 350GB usage and still have a phone line which is included. But i dont use it.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Thanks for the input. Sky i think need a phone line so you need to ad rental on top of that figure?

Smart telecom at €30 is a bit too expensive. Its nearly double what I'm paying now.

Meteor offers 20GB for €20 a month which is only €3 more than O2 but an extra 5GB which seems worthwhile. Only issue is, the smarthub they offer seems to be wifi only, whereas i have two devices connected with ethernet on the O2 router i have at the moment.

Regular DSL,I see now on their site that if you are a VF mobile customer you get it for half price for 6 months.

It is inclusive of rental & vat.I have a phone but it's not used as we are both on bill pay with the mobiles.Signal is flaky here so the landline is backup in case of an emergency.

Sky also don't charge line rental although people who posted in the threads about it were charged €1 but had it credited back to them due to some bizzare Comreg ruling about having to charge something for line rental.

Eircom have amongst the highest line rental fees in the world.

Remember that DSL speeds are determined by line quality & distance from the exchange,best to have a look in the broadband forum for more info & advice.

Fixed wireless is also an option depending where you live,the aerial is small & barely noticeable too.I had it before I switched to Vodafone & never had a problem with my provider (Permanet)

zerks wrote: »
    Regular DSL,I see now on their site that if you are a VF mobile customer you get it for half price for 6 months.

It is inclusive of rental & vat.I have a phone but it's not used as we are both on bill pay with the mobiles.Signal is flaky here so the landline is backup in case of an emergency.

Sky also don't charge line rental although people who posted in the threads about it were charged €1 but had it credited back to them due to some bizzare Comreg ruling about having to charge something for line rental.

Eircom have amongst the highest line rental fees in the world.

Remember that DSL speeds are determined by line quality & distance from the exchange,best to have a look in the broadband forum for more info & advice.

Fixed wireless is also an option depending where you live,the aerial is small & barely noticeable too.I had it before I switched to Vodafone & never had a problem with my provider (Permanet)

Thanks for that. If I'm getting decent speeds on Eircom next gen 8mb bb, I guess I can assume the line will be ok and I'll still get good speeds with VF? Just not sure about the usage allowance, 15GB is very low these days what with youtube, netflix etc being so popular.

I'm on a mobile plan but the broadband only plan says €29.99 compared to €31.99 for existing vodafone customers, nothing about half price anywhere?

I wonder what's going on with SKY? I've never been a sky customer or never shown interest in being one either. Can I just sign up for broadband only I wonder?

• Advertisement

AFAIK Sky broadband is just for tv subscribers at the moment.

VF do have add-ons to the 15gb limit,you can add on an extra 30gb or 150gb for a small bit extra.I pay €4.99 extra & now have 165gb limit per month.

When I upgraded,my speed was also increased even though I'm paying a few euro less per month now.

Have a chat to one of the VF reps in the Talk To Vodafone forum.

The half price offer is on the site,you need to be a bill pay customer on mobile to avail of it.I was on prepay when I signed up & still got a discount.

Thanks again for the info.

Gave them a ring anyway and it would be 29.99 a month for me, but to avail of the half price, I'd need to enter into a 24 month contract so I don't know if it would be worth doing to save €90, especially considering sky may be upping the broadband game very soon.

I think I might leave it until SKY is up and running properly and then see what the story is. Paying €52 a month now which is crazy just for broadband, but I'll see what happens I guess.

Looks like the sky package info has been released and the basic broadband with realistic usage cap is going for €40 a month. It also includes some calls, but I wouldn't be using them anyway so actually Vodafone is still looking like the best choice at €36 a month for 150gb cap with up to 24mb speed! It is an 18 month contract however but if I move address, then it will move with me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Nial Quinn has launched his own broadband company.

Its called Q-Sat.

http://www.qsat.ie/

No lines needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

paddy147 wrote: »

Its called Q-Sat.

No lines needed.

55 quid for 15gb? Seems awfully expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Its called Q-Sat.

No lines needed.

€149 installation fee ??
    Router extra if needed.

Its called Q-Sat.

No lines needed.

Useless for gaming or skype as pings are far too high,prohibitive download caps are a problem too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just saw the tall plank (Mr Quinn) standing in a field in County Cork promoting his new venture.

So I thought Id post it here.

Think hes aiming at parts of the country where its hard to get a good broadband signal/connection.

Prices do seem a tad on the dear side allright.

€35 is pretty affordable for someone just looking to check their mail and the likes. Considering the cheapest some people may be able to get is eircom at €52 a month..

I think I'll be going with Vodafone anyway, doesn't seem like SKY is as competitive as I was hoping for just broadband..

€35 is pretty affordable for someone just looking to check their mail and the likes. Considering the cheapest some people may be able to get is eircom at €52 a month..

I think I'll be going with Vodafone anyway, doesn't seem like SKY is as competitive as I was hoping for just broadband..

Vodafone's Simply Broadband is €29 a month,Sky missed a trick by upping their prices a bit too much-compared to UK pricing we are getting ripped off.

• Advertisement

Sorry, of course, I guess if someone can get eircom, they can get vodafone for the €29, I think I'll sign up for it myself now in the next day or two :)

Sorry, of course, I guess if someone can get eircom, they can get vodafone for the €29, I think I'll sign up for it myself now in the next day or two :)

Download cap is 15gb a month but you can add a higher cap for a couple of quid more,I added 150gb for less than a fiver extra,you can get a lower cap for around €3 extra.

Yeah, I'll probably just go for the 150 extra too just incase! Thanks :)

Signed up to simply broadband today with Vodafone. They checked my line and said it should be good for 15mb and it's non congested too.

The half price for the first 6 months is only available on the call packages which start at 38eur a month and it's a 24 month contract so it's:

6 x €19 + 18 x €38 = €798 for 24 months (40gb monthly allowance)
    versus
    €29.99 x 24 = €719.76, but I can get out after 18 months of course having only paid €539.82 so made the most sense to go with that considering I don't use the landline at all.

That's only 15gb allowance per month so add an extra €4 per month for 45gb allowance total and it'd be €612 for 18 months or €816 for 24 months to compare like for like but again.

Advertisement