Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Allyall wrote: »
    Advertising Christmas Day lunch on their website..

I don't know, i understand many people will be away from, and many more don't celebrate Christmas. Just seems weird.

They use old Supermarkets/Warehouses/Cinemas/Post Offices/Banks etc. to setup.

Madness i say.:rolleyes:.

They also buy pubs and convert them as well.

Pubs opening Christmas lunch Time is very common in England and a lot of restaurants open as well. Going out for a pint while the turkey is cooking is great, as is going out for Christmas lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, but 30 to start with. Their website says "opening new pubs every day".

1 to start with - 30 is their long term plan for the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

MYOB wrote: »
    1 to start with - 30 is their long term plan for the entire country.

That wouldn't be too bad. But would they stick to that?

I suppose, why not...

That wouldn't be too bad. But would they stick to that?

I suppose, why not...

Probably. Their business model does not work unless there is a sufficient, huge, amount of trade as they make a very small profit margin on everything. You simply don't get that amount of trade in small towns.

The only non-city areas I can see ever getting them are the former boroughs (Sligo, Drogheda, Kilkenny, Clonmel) and maybe the larger student towns (Dundalk, Athlone, Carlow, Maynooth). I'd be delighted with one in Maynooth even though I'd probably never drink there.

MYOB wrote: »
    Probably. Their business model does not work unless there is a sufficient, huge, amount of trade as they make a very small profit margin on everything. You simply don't get that amount of trade in small towns.

The only non-city areas I can see ever getting them are the former boroughs (Sligo, Drogheda, Kilkenny, Clonmel) and maybe the larger student towns (Dundalk, Athlone, Carlow, Maynooth). I'd be delighted with one in Maynooth even though I'd probably never drink there.

Swords and Tallaght too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I could see them taking somewhere like the Palace Bar in Athlone and doing a roaring trade. Large, empty pub in the middle of a large town with a kitchen. Would be the perfect location for them.

Swords and Tallaght too.

They're "Dublin" in my eyes. The first one they're likely to get is outer suburban too - Blackrock. Wrights might keep them scared off Swords but they'd have to slash their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wetherspoons bringing a bit of "essex culture" to Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It'd be full of scumbags and winos pretty quick though if they came here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Augmerson wrote: »

They are coming here....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

fryup wrote: »
    Wetherspoons bringing a bit of "essex culture" to Ireland

What's your fascination with Essex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

MadsL wrote: »
    Which Dublin pubs apart from the Porterhouse as it IS a brewery, have those brews on tap?
    The Lotts has Hooker on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Why are so many people assuming that a pub serving non rip off prices will suddenly become an antisocial type magnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Stojkovic wrote: »
    All American beer is piss.

Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada?? But you've obviously tasted them all.

P_1 wrote: »
    Why are so many people assuming that a pub serving non rip off prices will suddenly become an antisocial type magnet?

It's not going to become a 'Drones Club', except in name, maybe.

Because if you drink in a JDW in the UK, its fairly obvious they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't remember the name of the pub but 10 or 15 years ago a '2 euro per drink' pub opened in Salthill Galway. Started out ok but wasn't very long before it was taken over by the scumbag/whino element.

Lasted no length after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can't remember the name of the pub but 10 or 15 years ago a '2 euro per drink' pub opened in Salthill Galway. Started out ok but wasn't very long before it was taken over by the scumbag/whino element.

Lasted no length after that.

I've been in a few bars in Dublin that do pints for €3.50. They were fine.

The negativity in this thread is funny, finally getting value in pubs and people can't handle it.
    Haters gonna hate!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

When i've been to them I've had lovely veggie curries and my friends seems to love their food too. Today I would be having their Lentil, Portobello Mushroom, Chickpea & Pumpkin Seed Roast served with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, vegetables and gravy, oh yes.

Their drink is cheap and they had nice whiskey when I was there and you get a double for 1£ more, it's so cheap and people saying they have bad beer, when its exactly the same as here apart from the actually have more range and nicer ones too.

Even if you hate them, like ryanair, they force those around them t be cheaper, so I dunno why anybody would be unhappy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

An English measure is only 25ml where as an Irish one is 33ml. Drinks are often served in 440 ml glasses.

When comparing prices its always important to compare like for like

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    An English measure is only 25ml where as an Irish one is 33ml. Drinks are often served in 440 ml glasses.

When comparing prices its always important to compare like for like

I presume they'll be using Irish measures when they open here?

If the british retail outlets aren't arsed printing euro tags and still label clothes with GBP prices I wouldn't assume anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Was in one last year and the english guys I was with thought it was deadly getting a pitcher offer they had of shots and mixers for next to nothing.

Problem was with the quantity in it each of us was getting less than a shot each, with the volume of mixer the alcohol content must have been nothing.

The brits fall for this kind of thing, the Irish don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Augmerson wrote: »

Isn't Dublin already like that? But with Guns and shooting.

Isn't Dublin already like that? But with Guns and shooting.

Finglas isn't a fair representative for all of dublin

pippip wrote: »

I don't think it's a case of 'falling for it' or not.

1 Irish unit of acohol is worth 1.27 British.
    The standard value of a unit of Alcohol in Ireland is 10 grams or 12.7ml, whereas in the UK it's 7.9 grams or 10ml

Irish measure is 35.5ml (Metric) or 1/4 of a gill.
    It's 25ml - 35ml in England, the choice of the Landlord, but as a rule of thumb the further North of England you go, the larger it is.
    So, usually 25ml South, and 35ml North.

ted1 wrote: »
    Finglas isn't a fair representative for all of dublin

I was thinking of Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Herself is overjoyed, she really likes Wetherspoons. We'll see if one opens up here in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

pippip wrote: »
    Was in one last year and the english guys I was with thought it was deadly getting a pitcher offer they had of shots and mixers for next to nothing.

Problem was with the quantity in it each of us was getting less than a shot each, with the volume of mixer the alcohol content must have been nothing.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a haven for low lifes...before you know it Temple Bar will look like any British city centre with plastic bottles everywhere

Some of them are a magnet for lowlifes, but the same can be said about pubs in general. It depends on a lot more than who owns the place.

Advertisement