Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It'll be interesting to see how they get on with Tonic and the 40 Foot. Haven't lived that side of Dublin for about 5 years but can't remember either place ever doing a good trade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Sleepy wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how they get on with Tonic and the 40 Foot. Haven't lived that side of Dublin for about 5 years but can't remember either place ever doing a good trade...

Jack O'Rourkes the nicest boozer in Blackrock, The Breffni's boring, while Tonic's hit and miss regarding the beers they have on tap which seem to change quite frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

They only have a selection if you like ales, which I hate!! Otherwise, they sell fosters, carling, Stella, Guinness. Not exactly a selection either

Its the ales on draft that I like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seems Wetherspoons aren't the only chain that are looking to expand into the Irish market.

Article here says that Greene King and a third unnamed group are also looking to open premises in this country:

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/british-pub-giants-compete-to-open-bars-in-ireland

Green King make ****e beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Seaneh wrote: »

Do they have guest (or non-Greene King) beers in their pubs though?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lucena wrote: »
    Do they have guest (or non-Greene King) beers in their pubs though?

most of the beer sin their pubs in greene king stuff.

They are a very average brewery and it's evident that they don't care much about the quality of the beer they make, seeing as they bottle it in clear glass bottles.

If greene king open here, I won't be going to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Seaneh wrote: »

I had one recently for the first time. There was a Greene King IPA included in the Dunnes world beers 5 for a tenner offer.

It was alright but not a patch on the O'Hara beers that were also part of the offer.

Is there a chance that these home produced beers from smaller Irish brewers will be available in places like Wetherspoons or do they only sell their own stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

As far as Greene King goes, Abbot Ale and Strong Suffolk are decent enough, but I wouldn't be dashing out to one of their pubs either.

I'd hope the unnamed chain is either a Brew Dog, Nicholson's or Fullers. I've always found that Nicholson's have a fantastic range of cask ales

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Links234 wrote: »
    As far as Greene King goes, Abbot Ale and Strong Suffolk are decent enough, but I wouldn't be dashing out to one of their pubs either.

I'd hope the unnamed chain is either a Brew Dog, Nicholson's or Fullers. I've always found that Nicholson's have a fantastic range of cask ales

You're not wrong! More beer on offer and food is better (though still nothing to right home about)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

“People can come into our pubs, enjoy a couple of pints of real ale and ham, egg and chips..." http://i.imgur.com/3wRab3L.gif

Could the other pub chain be Marston's? Never heard of them, but they're mentioned with the other two in this article.

U.K. Pub Chains Grow in Recession Even as Closures Hit Record

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Only rumours that they're looking at premises

They said on twitter a while ago that they were actively looking at premesis in Dublin.

They are really expensive though. It is possible to get a pitcher of Punk IPA in Dublin for 15 euro at the moment. It works out almost cheaper than their beer in off licences. I fear it is a mistake and will get corrected unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What harm can they do in Dublin City?

Theres too many rip-off pubs there.

Why does an English Cricketer keep posting that? Like a Rick Roll? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This is the worst thing to happen to Ireland since the Black and Tans. Why isn't the Vintners lobbying against this?

Will you please stop posting complete nonsense already? Seriously, greatest threat to Ireland this, worse thing to happen that... Stop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

:D need 50 posts for the football forum

Ah, so you're the beardy guy behind the goals at Lissywollen! ;)

:D need 50 posts for the football forum

Sucks to be you :)

Don't spam this forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

cant wait to see what effect this will have, particularly if one opens in templebar! People need to understand that even if you dont want to ever step foot in a spoons if its near a pub you frequent, it is likely they will have to drop prices somewhat to compete. Its like Ryanair and AerLingus, you might not want to every fly with Ryanair, but do you think Aer Lingus fairs would be so competitive if it werent for Ryanair... competition is great for consumers! They are a sort of aldi and lidl of the pub market :) where will they be sourcing their alcohol?

Sucks to be you :)

Don't spam this forum again.

I just realised what you did..

I couldn't help laughing.. :o

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Idbatterim wrote: »
    cant wait to see what effect this will have, particularly if one opens in templebar! People need to understand that even if you dont want to ever step foot in a spoons if its near a pub you frequent, it is likely they will have to drop prices somewhat to compete. Its like Ryanair and AerLingus, you might not want to every fly with Ryanair, but do you think Aer Lingus fairs would be so competitive if it werent for Ryanair... competition is great for consumers! They are a sort of aldi and lidl of the pub market :) where will they be sourcing their alcohol?

This will not happen.

This will not happen.
    how do you reckon that? value for money is everything to people at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Compared to an average Irish carvery lunch and pint of lager what are WS's dinners and beers like?

how do you reckon that? value for money is everything to people at the moment!

The Wetherspoons in Belfast has no affect whatsoever on the price of pints for example. And you could get pints for 99p in that place at one point I'm pretty sure.

As has been said in the thread a few times - other pubs know that the vast majority of people will not spend the entire night in Wetherspoons - one or two pints is generally it. People are generally happy to pay the extra to go to a better bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I would hope we don't see them. Whatever about the argument of the price of alcohol in pubs I would even trade that bit extra we pay currently for NOT having them around.

The great thing about the majority of Irish pubs is that they have character, an individuality. Some are better then others but Id seriously hate to see us go the way of chain pubs. They all look the same, inside and out. Zero character, no atmosphere, crappy music, same (****) menu, same ****ty beer.. the beer in Weatherspoons in the UK is **** btw... and I cant speak much for the staff(ing).. anytime i've been where its been anyway busy and i've always been in a Q for an eternity and they don't seem to hire based on how useful you might be or if you know the meaning of the words efficient or hurry the **** up for that matter. .

Already any high street in this damn country is like a plastic identikit flat pack soulless replica of UK dullness... Boots, Burger King / McD, Subway, Star****s, JD Sports blah blah... lets go the whole hog and welcome Weatherspoons, a **** bar that will put good bars out of business who might just not be able to compete due to price. If I want just to get hammered on a budget id stay at home and drink cans.. if I want to go to a good bar for a nice vibe.. good clientele etc. (weatherspoons is a **** scum magnet) price would be a consideration but not an overriding factor... I would never consider Weatherspoon and Id consider it a sad day were they to open here.

Choose between saving 50 cent on a pint ? or choose going to a decent bar.

Choose between saving 50 cent on a pint ? or choose going to a decent bar.
    I'm assuming the pints will be around half the "normal" cost?...

I'm assuming the pints will be around half the "normal" cost?...

am I missing something at this odd hour or do you reckon now that they would be selling pints at 2.50 or something.. I guess you might as well dream here as in bed.. or both.

Strumms wrote: »
    am I missing something at this odd hour or do you reckon now that they would be selling pints at 2.50 or something.. I guess you might as well dream here as in bed.. or both.
    I'd expect at least 40% off current prices.

If they are roughly the same price, minus atmosphere, i can't see what the attraction would be.

Mind you, after most of the posts in this thread, i already have a horrible picture of them in my head..

They actually don't look that horrible inside - just a bit bland.

They look like a cross between a cheap hotel bar and a café.

awec wrote: »

Bland, cheap hotel bar and cafe = horrible... With all the great bars in this city... Seriously !

To be honest I think as a poster said very early on in this thread it would be so hard for them to break into the market.. Cheap booze will attract a 'certain element' which no matter what door policy or otherwise will ultimately get you a reputation of sorts.. And most of he right thinking people will avoid a place like that like the plague...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Wetherspoons in Belfast has no affect whatsoever on the price of pints for example. And you could get pints for 99p in that place at one point I'm pretty sure.

As has been said in the thread a few times - other pubs know that the vast majority of people will not spend the entire night in Wetherspoons - one or two pints is generally it. People are generally happy to pay the extra to go to a better bar.
    How ironic it would be if in Ireland, with its famed and unique pub atmosphere/culture (c), it turned out that people were happy to spend the entire night in one, just because the prices were cheaper.

• Advertisement

I don't know why i have this image, it's a mixture of posts i suppose, but i am imagining a massive open space area, with minimal furniture, kinda cold, and no music. People mostly standing around with fixed tables/shelves to put your drinks on..

Converted Supermarkets/Cinema shells/Warehouses/Post Offices.. They don't sound too appealing. Unless it was to have a few cheap drinks before you went 'out'.

Advertisement