Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I understand now why it's important to use the smilies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strongly disagree.
    has a creamy white head is absolutely delicious. Problem is that 90% of
    A Guinness that is fresh, and poured correctly through a clean beerline and places don't serve that.

Diageo clean the lines so there's rarely a problem with dirty ones. "Correct pouring" is totally irrelevant to the taste. And if 90% of pubs selling a product don't serve nice pints of it then the beer can not be deemed to be good.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Also, most of the beers ATG/Porter house/Bull & Castle sell are not Irish, so on top of duty excise is paid, driving the price even higher.

It's nearly 50% Irish on the B&C menu now. Volume wise the vast majority of what they sell is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

While true, the production costs are a LOT higher per litre.

Also, most of the beers ATG/Porter house/Bull & Castle sell are not Irish, so on top of duty excise is paid, driving the price even higher.

Most of what PH sell are their own brews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

stimpson wrote: »
    Most of what PH sell are their own brews.

They stock s lot of American. British, belgian and German stuff too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't know why i have this image, it's a mixture of posts i suppose, but i am imagining a massive open space area, with minimal furniture, kinda cold, and no music. People mostly standing around with fixed tables/shelves to put your drinks on..

Converted Supermarkets/Cinema shells/Warehouses/Post Offices.. They don't sound too appealing. Unless it was to have a few cheap drinks before you went 'out'.
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/gallery/915-pub-page.jpg

That's a bit of the inside of the one in Belfast (I think)- the seating layout etc is pretty typical of any Wetherspoons I have been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

They stock s lot of American. British, belgian and German stuff too.

Yep, but if you look at what most people drink it's pints (in PH Central anyway).

They used to have a daily special for €4. And the Gingerman used to do €3.50 Rebel red (€3.25/pint in a 4 pint pitcher!) So much for higher production costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Tink yew misd de sarkasmm..

Why are you talking like a Lolcat?

awec wrote: »
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/gallery/915-pub-page.jpg

That's a bit of the inside of the one in Belfast (I think)- the seating layout etc is pretty typical of any Wetherspoons I have been in.

I wouldn't be mad keen on that. It looks like a canteen or, one of the Supermarket restaurants in the 80's.
    Bit weird everyone sitting around in groups of 4. Obviously you can stand, but wouldn't really appeal to me if that's what they will look like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

chopper6 wrote: »
    There used to be one in Grafton St which closed in the mid-80's.

Where HMV is now....and for useless information,the McDonalds across the road was a restaurant called the Pavillion :)

Remember there was one in Killarney, looking at wiki they were all shut in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I wouldn't be mad keen on that. It looks like a canteen or, one of the Supermarket restaurants in the 80's.
    Bit weird everyone sitting around in groups of 4. Obviously you can stand, but wouldn't really appeal to me if that's what they will look like here.

That'll be one part of the pub. I've not been to the one in Belfast but I'm sure there's booths and various other seating options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

irish_goat wrote: »
    Diageo clean the lines so there's rarely a problem with dirty ones. "Correct pouring" is totally irrelevant to the taste.
    Inb fairness to Diageo I've seen the guy come in testing the line and the pint to make sure it's up to standard. I've found guinness pretty reliable in Ireland. Different story altogether in other countries though, I don't think they have the same quality control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ScumLord wrote: »
    Inb fairness to Diageo I've seen the guy come in testing the line and the pint to make sure it's up to standard. I've found guinness pretty reliable in Ireland. Different story altogether in other countries though, I don't think they have the same quality control.

I think that is the reason why it tastes nicer in Ireland, there's just more care put in to it.

Hmmm...

It does seem to attract a certain crowd..

Hmmm...

It does seem to attract a certain crowd..

There are 900 wetherspoon pubs, but people are judging them all because of a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

reprazant wrote: »
    The guy from Porterhouse was on the radio yesterday and he was of the opinion that they have changed their model, moving away from the cheap drinks market, but that may be just in London.

The guy from the Porterhouse sounded like a bitter scared fool on the radio. He knows they will probably open near all his pubs and people will catch on fairly quickly that they've been ripped off. It will definitely affect them as their Temple Bar pub has no late licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    The guy from the Porterhouse sounded like a bitter scared fool on the radio. He knows they will probably open near all his pubs and people will catch on fairly quickly that they've been ripped off. It will definitely affect them as their Temple Bar pub has no late licence.

I didn't hear the guy on the radio, but, based solely on my knowledge of their Temple Bar pub, Porterhouse won't be worried by Wetherspoons as they cater to different crowds.

The Porterhouse have a ton of different beers on tap or in bottles, and people tend to go there for that reason. When I go there on the rare occasions that I'm in Dublin, I know I'm paying more than elsewhere, but as I enjoy discovering different beers and I probably won't have more than 3 or 4 anyway, I don't really mind the price. I'd say the pubs that don't have a specific niche would have something to worry about.

I love craft beer and used to frequent the Porterhouse, Black Sheep, Against the Grain etc until I realised it was absolute nonsense paying their prices. Wetherspoons can offer me the same choice of craft beers at a reasonable price. People are not completely stupid and will cop on fairly quickly that they are being taken for a ride by pubs like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I love craft beer and used to frequent the Porterhouse, Black Sheep, Against the Grain etc until I realised it was absolute nonsense paying their prices. Wetherspoons can offer me the same choice of craft beers at a reasonable price. People are not completely stupid and will cop on fairly quickly that they are being taken for a ride by pubs like them.

Any Wetherspoons I've been in in England haven't had a great selection of craft beers.

A decent selection, but not great by any means.

Lucena wrote: »
    Any Wetherspoons I've been in in England haven't had a great selection of craft beers.

Sounds fairly decent from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I imagine they would use Irish ale? English people I know are delighted they are coming for their selection of drinks.

Most irish pubs blare shiit music and have football on tv, wetherspoons doesn't, and they generally look nice. I don't see this character you speak of apart from in a few. I'd say wetherspoons actually look nicer, and have a better atmosphese than most where people sit around not hearing each other and watching ****e on tv, do that at home. And their drink selection is very good imo. You don't realise a lot of pubs here are a chain, and JDs is less like a chain than many of them, with each having it's own flair. SOme are good and some are bad, I've only been to a few but I've loved some of them. I'd be more concerned abotut here being a fecking mcdonalds in temple bar tbh

To be honest you might be going to the wrong pubs over here if that's the case.. Plenty of great bars with good music including live music over here and a great vibe. Take the Long Hall as an example... Great atmosphere, no TV and its still one of the best pubs in Dublin and plenty more to compare and i could add many more outside of where i live. While there may big big time owners of several bars we have so far avoided the identikit plastic ikea soulless type chain pub which is a good thing. I always look forward to drinking in a place with atmosphere, an ambience and its own identity.. Somewhere interesting... Certainly over a place populated by nob heads which Weatherspoons is almost certainly a magnet to.

As for McDonalds in Temple Bar ? Who cares, why worry ? it's a dive mostly and only an addition to several fast food places in the vicinity. Cultural it ain't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don't know why people are calling wetherspoons identikit pubs. Each wetherspoons would have different décor, furniture, paraphernalia etc. Its not like a starbucks, mcdonalds, burger king where every unit is decked out the same.

As for ale - each to their own - I personally don't like it, but it seems to be getting more popular. My local for example sells Oharas pale ale, and its one of the most popular draughts their for tourists and occasional drinkers. They also sell peroni lager and hoegarden which flys out.

I do agree that Irish people are not drawn totally on price. Scotts in dun laoghaire is one of the cheapest bars around at €3.30 a pint but wouldn't be that busy.

When I had my pub and sold beer for €2.80, we were packed every day but none of the other bars around changed their prices. A representative from the VFI came and asked to change our business model but was told to leave. They are a toothless organisation that serve no definite purpose apart from providing soundbites on the state of the pub industry to the press. They do nothing for their members and as a result their membership is falling drastically (Not just from pubs closing down, but from existing publicans as well).

There are lots of polar arguments on here about scum of the earth drinking in wetherspoons and worst beer ever. We will just have to see what effect it will have on the market. But in my experience change is good.

joeguevara wrote: »

I do agree that Irish people are not drawn totally on price. Scotts in dun laoghaire is one of the cheapest bars around at €3.30 a pint but wouldn't be that busy..

In fairness though, no pub in Dun Laoghaire is busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lucena wrote: »

But still easily better than anything we currently have here!

Fancy a taster mate? http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3398/3201990631_d1571875bb_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

joeguevara wrote: »
    There are lots of polar arguments on here about scum of the earth drinking in wetherspoons and worst beer ever.

A lot of it boils down to basic anti-English sentiment (JDW and blanket perceptions about English pubs) and a sepia-tinted view of what now constitutes the Irish pub scene and what they sell.

As if there are no kip pubs in Ireland and that the overwhelming majority of Irish people are not paying through the nose for average drinks supplied by a monopolistic multinational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

LordSutch wrote: »
    But still easily better than anything we currently have here!

Fancy a taster mate? http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3398/3201990631_d1571875bb_z.jpg

Tbf, that is no different from any of the pubs that do craft beers here.

Oh, I see people who don't like WS are now anti-British. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Theres no pub in Ireland with six cask Ales on at the same time. Well, maybe the Wetherspoons in Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I don't think the issue is whether or not you can get decent beers here, rather the prices at which they are sold.

If JDW or anybody else can provide decent beer at a lower price, I think they'll do very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Didn't realise they were cask. My apologies.

In fairness though, no pub in Dun Laoghaire is busy.

And Scotts is not the nicest of places anyway, have only been in there twice ever and felt uncomfortable both times. I often walk by it on the way home from work and on many occasions have seen heavily pregnant women with a pint in one hand and a smoke in the other outside the place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Cant see where the negativity is coming from? Its new jobs in towns and cities all over Ireland. Surely thats welcomed? The only reason I could see why people have a problem is because they are a British brand.

Advertisement