Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Yakult wrote: »
    Cant see where the negativity is coming from? Its new jobs in towns and cities all over Ireland. Surely thats welcomed? The only reason I could see why people have a problem is because they are a British brand.

Maybe people have been to them in the UK and didn't like them?

Is that allowed or does it all have to be because people just don't like the Brits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

reprazant wrote: »

Oh, I see people who don't like WS are now anti-British. Fantastic stuff.

It's true though.

Maybe not on this thread specifically, but from looking at social media and even talking to colleagues and friends, the faction bemoaning JDW seems to boil down to:
    Dublin In The Rare Old Time boozers set to be stealthily replaced by Brit establishments that look like Tesco concourses; are full of football hooligans; stock weird Brit ales for 2p a pint and the Jaysus barman doesn't even know how to pour a decent pint of plain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tbf, that is no different from any of the pubs that do craft beers here.

Oh, I see people who don't like WS are now anti-British. Fantastic stuff.

I am simply stating that the variety of Cask Ales (On Tap) is virtually non existent in most Irish pubs, but I do hope that JDs will bring in a selection of real ales to their pumps (hopefully Irish cask ales) . . .

Bottled beers are neither here nor there.

LordSutch wrote: »
    You are talking total TOSH Sir. I am simply stating that the variety of Cask Ales (On Tap) is virtually non existent in most Irish pubs, but I do hope that JDs will bring in a selection of real ales to their pumps (hopefully Irish cask ales) . . .

Bottled beers are neither here nor there.

Yeah, I hadn't realised that they were cask. I had already apologies when it had been politely pointed out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Cant see where the negativity is coming from? Its new jobs in towns and cities all over Ireland. Surely thats welcomed? The only reason I could see why people have a problem is because they are a British brand.

They wouldn't have any 'craic', as we patented, bottled and exported 'craic' and sold it to all the Irish pubs all over the world. Ergo your Belgian beer cafes, French brasseries, German Bierhalles, Yankee bars, Aussie boozers and olde English pubs are devoid of this vital ingredient.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yeah, I hadn't realised that they were cask. I had already apologies for my mistake. Thanks for pointing out I was talking tosh as opposed to making a simple mistake.

I think we both want more Irish cask ales (on Tap) in our pubs, lets hope that JDs deliver.

PS, I have amended my TOSH post, it was a little OTT, apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Last time I drank in WS was about 7 years ago in uk.
    Have to say they had a great selection of beers , mostly ales.

I think the pint of ale was £1.23 or something like that.

I got a pint and a lasagne and chips for about £3.

Granted there wasnt much atmosphere in the place and the decor was awful.

As a craft beer drinker I think its good to have a bit of competition.
    The likes of against the grain and the black sheep are great pubs and i go there a fair but but they are very pricey..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

Jaysus, if people are against it there's a simple solution: don't go into the place !

More competition & jobs is a good thing, quit your jibba jabba !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

LordSutch wrote: »

when my other half was in hospital over in London in July, I enjoyed a couple of bevarages and a nice meal in the Nicholson's up the road after visiting hours, this was their cask selection: http://i.imgur.com/tkvUels.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Links234 wrote: »
    when my other half was in hospital over in London in July, I enjoyed a couple of bevarages and a nice meal in the Nicholson's up the road after visiting hours, this was their cask selection: http://i.imgur.com/tkvUels.jpg

Nice photo effect! You started drinking from right to left, so that's why the end ones are blurry! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In fairness though, no pub in Dun Laoghaire is busy.

Gilbert and wrights is fairly busy (about 25-30) each night and packed Friday and Saturday.

Walters would be packed at the weekend and busy Thursday through Sunday.

Pier Inn (New name for weirs) would serve about 60 covers each day for food and probably 120 at the weekend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Maybe people have been to them in the UK and didn't like them?

Is that allowed or does it all have to be because people just don't like the Brits?
    So? Not everyone has the same taste. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to go into the place.

Pretty sure some people don't like McDonald's but that doesnt mean they shouldnt have came and created a llot of jobs.

So? Not everyone has the same taste. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to go into the place.

Pretty sure some people don't like McDonald's but that doesnt mean they shouldnt have came and created a llot of jobs.

I never said anyone is being forced to go. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Irish Post is running with a story that two other Pub companies are looking at it, the numbers must be really good as they don't have much money once they have serviced their debt

Links234 wrote: »

This pic and LordSutchs one makes me think that I have been drinking cask everytime I visit friends across the water without realising it.

I had always presumed that they were English old school type taps. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are 900 wetherspoon pubs, but people are judging them all because of a few.
    joeguevara wrote: »
    I don't know why people are calling wetherspoons identikit pubs. Each wetherspoons would have different décor, furniture, paraphernalia etc.

Yeah, I found a good range of difference in them. There's a selection of identikit pubs alright but they also take over old traditional pubs and keep them looking as they always have. They seem to have slightly upmarket ones and then really basic ones that have cheap pints, sport and cheap food.

This pic and LordSutchs one makes me think that I have been drinking cask everytime I visit friends across the water without realising it.

I had always presumed that they were English old school type taps. Doh!

Technically, that's what they are, old school taps that are pumped by hand instead of gas pressure ;)

Actually, here's a good video that shows what I'm on about:

Been looking at a few other cask ale videos on youtube, and I'd love to visit this place:

Now I'm itching for a pint :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I love craft beer and used to frequent the Porterhouse, Black Sheep, Against the Grain etc until I realised it was absolute nonsense paying their prices. Wetherspoons can offer me the same choice of craft beers at a reasonable price. People are not completely stupid and will cop on fairly quickly that they are being taken for a ride by pubs like them.

Out of interest, as I'll be in Dublin over the Christmas period, what pubs would you recommend? I could use Beoirfinder, but that doesn't give any idea of prices, atmosphere etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

lets face it the irish pub scene needs a shakeup and this is going to be it. more than likely we will end up with one in every town as the formula, cheap food, cheep beer, big selection and always open just works anywhere you have a consumer thats fond of a drink. if this is a good thing is another story.

one thing i noticed in the uk was that certain ones were much much worse than others. ie the clientele. especially when it rained.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

(Reuters) - Britain's JD Wetherspoon (JDW.L) said it is set to open its first pubs in the Republic of Ireland this year with the aim of expanding to up to 30 sites in the longer term.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/09/13/uk-jdwetherspoon-idUKBRE98C0J020130913

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Terrible food that isn't cheap by any standard for the quality, plastic pubs. Joy oh Joy.

Can't wait to have my €12 for a platter of fried food straight from the bag nomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Terrible food that isn't cheap by any standard for the quality, plastic pubs. Joy oh Joy.

Can't wait to have my €12 for a platter of fried food straight from the bag nomnom

The worst part is that Mr. Wetherspoon himself comes over with a gun and forces you to go in. Not just to drink, but to eat the food.

How people have a problem with getting a cheaper alternative is beyond me. And we have some nice pubs in ireland, but we have more than our fair share of shítholes. I think people forget about the shítholes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lucena wrote: »
    Out of interest, as I'll be in Dublin over the Christmas period, what pubs would you recommend? I could use Beoirfinder, but that doesn't give any idea of prices, atmosphere etc.

Bull and Castle(€4 pints Mon-Wed), Porterhouse Temple Bar, The Black Sheep and J.W. Sweetman's(€4 pints all week) would be among my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dizzywizlw wrote: »

Get over yourself. There's plenty of "plastic" indigenous pubs here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Those Wetherspoons pubs are shíte ... even by Dutch standards.

The Maccy Dees of the Pub Trade.

The breakfast and a pint for a fiver offer is well classy.

Last time I was in one in Birmingham I sat there for around 5 minutes in until a dirty chav came in with buggy in tow at 9AM to have her ale and breakfast.

Rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Last time I was in one in Birmingham I sat there for around 5 minutes in until a dirty chav came in with buggy in tow at 9AM to have her ale and breakfast.

Rank.
    Yeah, imagine not getting "well classy" people going into a pub in Birmingham at 9am? I'm shocked, normally it's james bond types in a tux and supermodels in cocktail dresses :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rank.

So what were you doing in a pub at 9am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

So what were you doing in a pub at 9am?

Grabbing a coffee on the way to the airport.

Starfúcks was completely rammed.

Advertisement