Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Try going on the beer and you will find that certain pub chains will only serve certain beers. So, as an ale/bitter drinker, I can go into 5 differeent pubs and fail to have the same drink twice. In other words, I will end up drinking 5 different beers because each one will have differect beers on draft. Safe enough if you are a Heino/Carlsberg etc drinker. Cue very bad headache the next day..:(

So what you're saying is variety is a bad thing and you'd rather every pub just sold the same oul muck as the next one?? :confused:
    Oh, the ales and bitters are pure muck. I am a Guinness/Murphy's drinker so I am really screwed.

Ask for nicer ales, the spoons in Derry sells fantastic ones, particularly now that J.D.W are bringing American craft brewers over here to brew beers for them. They sell Guinness anyway so I don't see your problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Stay away. This is coming at a time where pubs are really upping the game with microbreweries and the like. Who actually wants to go to JDW over some of the other great pubs around? It's like choosing McDonalds over a proper food joint.

Or like providing an alternative to McDonalds at the same price. Just another way of looking at it.

Just had a look on Tripadvisor about the one I was in a few months ago. Ranked in the 100s out of over 1000 eateries in the city. Not bad! That said, some of the comments do mention being surprised it's a weatherspoons as the quality is so good. So I guess it just comes down to which one you're in. The one I was in was lovely. Cosy, big armchairs and sofas and a lovely open fire. Staff were friendly and the food came out freshly cooked and hot (which doesn't always happen even in supposedly good restaurants). And for something like a fiver for a meal it's hard to argue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

irish_goat wrote: »
    So what you're saying is variety is a bad thing and you'd rather every pub just sold the same oul muck as the next one?? :confused:

Ask for nicer ales, the spoons in Derry sells fantastic ones, particularly now that J.D.W are bringing American craft brewers over here to brew beers for them. They sell Guinness anyway so I don't see your problem there.

No I am not saying variety is a bad thing. Where did I say that?

What I am saying is that it is frustrating going into a pub and finding a nice beer (which is a lottery in itself), then to move to another pub to find they don't serve it and having to take a chance on something else, then the next pub won't have either of those beers either. The Guinness is manky and freezing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It might depend on the pub itself. I was in one a few months ago and thought the food was nice and very good value. I don't think it's pretending to be a restaurant, it's a pub that serves food. I was very pleased. We'd heard about them scouting for property in Ireland at the time and tbh, if they keep the prices equivalent to the prices in the UK then I wish them well. If they hike it up beyond what currency, VAT and higher overheads can account for then feck them.

"Pub that serves food" implies it serves up pub grub like you would expect in pubs in Ireland.

That's not the reality. It serves up glorified fast food which is why it's so cheap - the food arrives to the pub already packed and ready to go.

No I am not saying variety is a bad thing. Where did I say that?

What I am saying is that it is frustrating going into a pub and finding a nice beer, then to move to another pub to find they don't serve it and having to take a chance on something else, then the next pub won't have either of those beers either. The Guinness is manky and freezing.

That is called variety, if every pub stocked your favourite beer there wouldn't be much variety now would there? You can't expect a microbrewery to be able to supply every pub either.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    "Pub that serves food" implies it serves up pub grub like you would expect in pubs in Ireland.

That's not the reality. It serves up glorified fast food which is why it's so cheap - the food arrives to the pub already packed and ready to go.

Oh I'm sorry, did I say pub-grub? No wait, I didn't. I said a pub that serves food. It's your problem if you conflate them.

I don't see what the animosity is about, it's a pub serving food. The one I was in was lovely and at the price they charge you're under no illusions about the providence of the food - it's clearly not haute cuisine. But it's tasty, edible, a lot of variety (burgers, roast chicken, curry, jacket potatoes, salad, sandwiches and so on) and very good value.

If people have serious issues with it just because they were in one they didn't like then they really have too much time on their hands. I was in one I liked but I'm waiting to see what the one opening here will be like before I make up my mind on it - no chain achieves perfect consistency and especially not a chain of pubs. The one here might be nice and it might be awful. Time will tell. So what if it's not the highest quality food in the world. Do people now only want to allow high-end restaurants to open here?

Or like providing an alternative to McDonalds at the same price. Just another way of looking at it.

Just had a look on Tripadvisor about the one I was in a few months ago. Ranked in the 100s out of over 1000 eateries in the city. Not bad! That said, some of the comments do mention being surprised it's a weatherspoons as the quality is so good. So I guess it just comes down to which one you're in. The one I was in was lovely. Cosy, big armchairs and sofas and a lovely open fire. Staff were friendly and the food came out freshly cooked and hot (which doesn't always happen even in supposedly good restaurants). And for something like a fiver for a meal it's hard to argue with.

I agree, if you want a beer and a chips & buger for £4.95 then all good and I am sure it will find it's market.

The fear is that they will take over. Spoons is a a plc if I am not mistaken and they have the pockets and clout to spread like wildfire.

I am sure many will say that is the challenge for existing pub owners to rise to but if Tesco or Dunness moves into a local area, there isnt a whole lot the local traders can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

awec wrote: »

And English Pub Grub is muck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm kind of surprised people are so fast to defend them as a chain pub. Is there no confidence at all in what we have already? Particularly in Dublin, you're spoiled for choice, food and drink wise.

I think they're terrible, artificial and soulless myself, but that's just me. Think it says an awful lot about them for opening a 24 hour pub on a motorway junction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Oh I'm sorry, did I say pub-grub? No wait, I didn't. I said a pub that serves food. It's your problem if you conflate them.

I don't see what the animosity is about, it's a pub serving food. The one I was in was lovely and at the price they charge you're under no illusions about the providence of the food - it's clearly not haute cuisine. But it's tasty, edible, a lot of variety (burgers, roast chicken, curry, jacket potatoes, salad, sandwiches and so on) and very good value.

If people have serious issues with it just because they were in one they didn't like then they really have too much time on their hands. I was in one I liked but I'm waiting to see what the one opening here will be like before I make up my mind on it - no chain achieves perfect consistency and especially not a chain of pubs. The one here might be nice and it might be awful. Time will tell. So what if it's not the highest quality food in the world. Do people now only want to allow high-end restaurants to open here?

You may have been in one you like but to me that just says something about your standards. You enjoy crap if its cheap, grand. It's all pre-packaged food no matter which one you go to.

I've been to plenty, Wetherspoons and other pub chains.. They're about as similar to each other as all McDonalds are.

• Advertisement

I'm kind of surprised people are so fast to defend them as a chain pub. Is there no confidence at all in what we have already? Particularly in Dublin, you're spoiled for choice, food and drink wise.

I think they're terrible, artificial and soulless myself, but that's just me.

You aren't spoiled for choice in all areas and not all of them are soulless. There are plenty of places in Dublin suburbs that would benefit from a Weatherspoons opening. I can think of one area in particular with high population density, lots of local employment and only one place where you can get a very, very overpriced hot lunch.

I'm not rushing to defend them, I'm saying I was in one that was lovely and it'd be ideal as a place to get lunch and you just can't argue with the price of the food. If they do that here, more power to them. If they don't... People will vote with their feet. It might stay open but people will keep going to the same places they've always been to (unless they're even worse).

That is called variety, if every pub stocked your favourite beer there wouldn't be much variety now would there? You can't expect a microbrewery to be able to supply every pub either.

If the variety was at least consistently nice I would have no complaints.

I am all up for variety and trying new beers, but what my problem is when you do find a nice beer and then you can never find it again even in that same pub as they change their kegs every week. That's a real pain in the ass.

I just cant find nice Guinness or Murphy's anywhere.:(

I've been quite happy in any Wetherspoons I've been to. I doubt anyone goes there expecting Michelin star cuisine. For what you pay I think the food is quite decent. And cheaper drinks are always a good thing! If JDW provides jobs and competition for rip-off pubs then I think it can only be a good thing having them in Ireland.

If the variety was at least consistently nice I would have no complaints.

I am all up for variety and trying new beers, but what my problem is when you do find a nice beer and then you can never find it again even in that same pub as they change their kegs every week. That's a real pain in the ass.

I just cant find nice Guinness or Murphy's anywhere.:(

Fair enough but that's really the nature of microbrews.

If you can't find nice Guinness or Murphys anywhere does that not suggest that it is not a nice drink?

Whisko wrote: »
    You may have been in one you like but to me that just says something about your standards. You enjoy crap if its cheap, grand. It's all pre-packaged food no matter which one you go to.

I've been to plenty, Wetherspoons and other pub chains.. They're about as similar to each other as all McDonalds are.

I've eaten in some of the world's best restaurants (and that is not an exaggeration). I grew up being brought to Michelin star restaurants. Maybe that's why I'm not so insecure about the quality of food :P

If I want excellent quality, I'll go somewhere that serves excellent quality and I'll pay for it. If I fancy a cheap quick bite to eat, I'll go somewhere cheap but I won't expect world class food.

What it says about my standards is that they're realistic. If I'm paying a fiver for a meal including a drink and it arrives properly cooked and nice and hot and is tasty.. I have nothing to quibble about.

Also, unless you were in the one I was in you really can't comment on whether or not it's nice and thus can't comment on my standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

If they are so sht in comparison to Irish pubs then you dont have anything to worry about as they will go out of business fairly quickly

Playboy wrote: »
    If they are so sht in comparison to Irish pubs then you dont have anything to worry about as they will go out of business fairly quickly
    That's not true, Starbucks is fairly crap and it has been steadily taking over. People like convenience and generic apparently.

they wont...if they're cheaper people will drink there...in fact people will drink there whether they're cheaper or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Also, pubs in England are very much dominated by the working class and very much a working class pursuit (espec in suburban areas). You will find pubs that are just like Eastenders with similar characters. You always feel that is one bad look from a mass brawl kicking off.

First of all, this is pure and utter ****. The pubs that are opening up nowadays are usually gastro-orientated pubs geared toward food and premium alcohol and are aimed at middle class people in the 25-35 bracket. The traditional boozers and Irish pubs are closing down at a pretty rapid rate.

Second of all, you're contradicting yourself hugely. One minute you're moaning about the lack of soul and character of pubs and the next you're giving out about places that are actual local community pubs with local working people in them. Your attitude is snobbish bullsh*t and it stinks to be honest. The fact you feel above drinking in a pub with delivery men or plasterers etc in it says a lot more about you than it does them.

Oh, the ales and bitters are pure muck. I am a Guinness/Murphy's drinker so I am really screwed.

What are you on about? Britain has a fantastic brewing tradition. In this country you can get locally produced beer of a multitude of flavours and varieties. The fact you insist on mass-produced nitro stout demonstrates the fact you've no taste to be honest.

I've eaten in some of the world's best restaurants (and that is not an exaggeration). I grew up being brought to Michelin star restaurants. Maybe that's why I'm not so insecure about the quality of food :P

If I want excellent quality, I'll go somewhere that serves excellent quality and I'll pay for it. If I fancy a cheap quick bite to eat, I'll go somewhere cheap but I won't expect world class food.

What it says about my standards is that they're realistic. If I'm paying a fiver for a meal including a drink and it arrives properly cooked and nice and hot and is tasty.. I have nothing to quibble about.

Also, unless you were in the one I was in you really can't comment on whether or not it's nice and thus can't comment on my standards.

How am I insecure because I don't like Weatherspoons? Does not liking McDonalds make me insecure about my food? I'm not sure you know what that word means.

I can comment as much as I can comment about McDonalds not being nice no matter which you go to. It's pre-packaged food thats been reheated at all of them. Which one where you in?

As I said, if you like it you like it. Grand. I think it's disgusting though, and imo not worth the money. I can get far better quality food for the same price by avoiding crap generic chains.

• Advertisement

That's not true, Starbucks is fairly crap and it has been steadily taking over. People like convenience and generic apparently.
    chopper6 wrote: »
    they wont...if they're cheaper people will drink there...in fact people will drink there whether they're cheaper or not.

So you are against choice then? People should only drink in places you deem good?

Fair enough but that's really the nature of microbrews.

If you can't find nice Guinness or Murphys anywhere does that not suggest that it is not a nice drink?

We may be at cross purposes here. I am not slagging off microbrews. That's a different ball game from 'Spoons and other such chains.

Sorry, 'nice' Guinness is hard to find and I would not expect to find Murphy's over here. It's hard enough to find in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So you read the article then? :confused:

I didn't read the Irish Times article, the journal reported on the Blackrock venue being first to open a few days ago and that the bar manager was going to be a Kerryman, he'll be getting some slagging during the GAA season

FTA69 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Britain has a fantastic brewing tradition. In this country you can get locally produced beer of a multitude of flavours and varieties. The fact you insist on mass-produced nitro stout demonstrates the fact you've no taste to be honest.

Agreed. Nothing beats an English cask conditioned ale.

There are loads of great pubs, but there are also loads of generic ****e chain pubs.

So you are against choice then? People should only drink in places you deem good?

They can go where they like...if people are willing to pay 7.20 a pint in town i can't account for thier taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Leave them to the Uk ....Would not suit Ireland at all....

I'm against chains taking over a place and consequently removing choice.

I must say this though....coffee shops and teh notion of paying for a cup of poncy coffee are pretty new concepts in ireland wheras pubs ahve been here for hundreds of years.

The main change in Irish drinking habits lately is the avoiding of pubs altogether in favour of drinking at home...partly due to high prices and in rural areas as a result of drink-driving legislation.

Any cheap bars i know do a steady business with people who go because they are cheap...whether the more"refined" drinker would bother to go is a matter of opinion.

There is however a movement towards "real ales" and decent craft beers and the cognisenti are getting quite particular about having craft beers available.

Time will tell.

FTA69 wrote: »

First of all, this is pure and utter ****. The pubs that are opening up nowadays are usually gastro-orientated pubs geared toward food and premium alcohol and are aimed at middle class people in the 25-35 bracket. The traditional boozers and Irish pubs are closing down at a pretty rapid rate.

Second of all, you're contradicting yourself hugely. One minute you're moaning about the lack of soul and character of pubs and the next you're giving out about places that are actual local community pubs with local working people in them. Your attitude is snobbish bullsh*t and it stinks to be honest. The fact you feel above drinking in a pub with delivery men or plasterers etc in it says a lot more about you than it does them.

You are taking me out of context. The point I was making is that pubs over here in suburban areas tend to be dominated by a certain clientele. Call me snobby if you want. I dont care...:p

In other words, well I have found, is that you dont get a great variety of people in the pubs like you do in Ireland generally speaking. Just my experience.

Going back to my orignal point, the pub culture in Ireland is quite different to England.

And in the cities, you get these monstrous cold gastro pubs that serve sub standard tasteless rubbish. I have had the last 7 years to get used to it.

You are right about the gasto pub. Pubs must serve food to survive as there is more profit. Any pub owner in Ireland will tell you that.

I know if I was living back in Dublin, I would not waste my time in a 'Spoons with so many other wonderful pubs out there.

• Advertisement

I'm against chains taking over a place and consequently removing choice.

If enough people chose not to go into them then they couldnt take over.

Advertisement