Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Yes but they will shake up the industry for drink in Ireland.

The prices in Ireland are crazy.

I don't think weather spoons could raise the bar any higher.

I don't mind spending 550 for a pint and a food.

It is and always will be a starter off pub.

You start your night out with the lads and you go there you don't stay there all evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

discus wrote: »
    ^^You do know they are charging minimum 5.50 euro for a single spirit and mixer, whereas its 2.20 (sterling) for that in england?

Yeah, but they are charging €3.50 for bottled and canned craft beers which sell for €5.70+ and €4.25 for pints which sell for well over €5 in Ireland.

They are also offering €4.50 gin and tonic and vodka and mixer, again less than pretty much anywhere in Dublin as well as €1.50 bottles of coke, which morally clock in at about twice that in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Other brand you'll see in most pubs include
    Baileys Irish Cream

Hennessy Cognac
    Gordon's Gin
    Sheridan's
    Archers Schnapps
    Pimm's
    Captain Morgan

Bell's
    Buchanan's
    Dimple/Pinch
    J&B
    Johnnie Walker
    Old Parr
    VAT 69
    White Horse

Kilkenny

Blossom Hill
    Piat d'Or

Dom Pérignon
    Moët & Chandon

Don't forget smirnoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I know they created a facebook page.

But when are they launching here ?

If ever

I know they created a facebook page.

But when are they launching here ?

If ever

Blackrock, next Tuesday.

Dun Laoghaire and Cork City Centre to follow within a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

discus wrote: »
    ^^You do know they are charging minimum 5.50 euro for a single spirit and mixer, whereas its 2.20 (sterling) for that in england?

Please note it's 4.50 in JDW Blackrock, Co. Dublin for a gin or vodka or rum + tonic.

Menu here:
    http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_2.jpg

Also note that the Belfast JDW spirits prices last month are as follows, in sterling:

Gin = 2.40 with free tonic, 4 choices
    Vodka = 3.50-3.75, 4 choices

Bushmills = 2.20
    Bushmills 10yr = 2.20
    Bells = 2.80
    Jameson = 3.55

Double spirit, 70ml according to menu, for 1.50 extra

So for 3.90 you get a double gin and tonic, that's under 5 euro -

A double Jameson is 5.05 stg.

I paid 3.70stg for a double Bushmills 10yr-old single malt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

A uk spirit measure is 25ml. Here it's 35.5ml.

stimpson wrote: »
    A uk spirit measure is 25ml. Here it's 35.5ml.

Please note that spirits in Northern Ireland are 35ml / 70ml, as per the JDW Belfast menu.

Here they are 35.5ml, so it's a fair comparison.

Geuze wrote: »
    Please note it's 4.50 in JDW Blackrock, Co. Dublin for a gin or vodka or rum + tonic.

Menu here:
    http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_2.jpg

Also note that the Belfast JDW spirits prices last month are as follows, in sterling:

Gin = 2.40 with free tonic, 4 choices
    Vodka = 3.50-3.75, 4 choices

Bushmills = 2.20
    Bushmills 10yr = 2.20
    Bells = 2.80
    Jameson = 3.55

Double spirit, 70ml according to menu, for 1.50 extra

So for 3.90 you get a double gin and tonic, that's under 5 euro -

A double Jameson is 5.05 stg.

I paid 3.70stg for a double Bushmills 10yr-old single malt

See above.

• Advertisement

Jameson is about €1 more expensive here than up north, which is a bit of a hike, but then again the cost of operating in Ireland is a lot higher than the UK between insurence, min wage, supplier costs, property prices and so on so it's not that much of a surprise.

Pint's of Guinness are just under £3 in the UK in JDW, which is €3.75, so €3.95 isn't that bad of a price of Murphy's in Dublin.
    The wine prices probably come down to the fact that we get hammered for duty on wine down here compared to up north.

But again the value is in the keg and cask beers and bottled/canned craft beer as well as the food. Add a drink to a burger for €2 and you have a meal and a pint for less than a tenner.

It's also worth nothing they do "double up" offers as well, so it will probably be about €1.50 to make your spirit a double, if that's your want.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dont have to mention how good wither spoons is to be honest....

we all know it is amazing and they should let them in.

It would at least repair the damage to such historical pubs that have been shut down.

Have you ever been to a Wetherspoons? :pac:

Seaneh,

what struck me is the comparison between whiskey prices in my local pubs in a provincial town and whiskey in JDW.

Beamish: 3.30-3.50 3.95 in JDW
    Irish "craft" beer = 4.50 4.75 in JDW
    Whiskey: 4.20 5.50 in JDW

The whiskey price is simply out of line with elsewhere, and I can't see why.

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's also worth nothing they do "double up" offers as well, so it will probably be about €1.50 to make your spirit a double, if that's your want.

This is not mentioned on the menu, where do you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Ireland Needs Wither spoons to shake it up and to get it to cop on.

The Prices here are insane.

I dont have to mention how good wither spoons is to be honest....

we all know it is amazing and they should let them in.

It would at least repair the damage to such historical pubs that have been shut down.

They're awful, soulless places. The carpets are usually vomit-coloured and look like they were picked out by a woman in her 80s. The sh*tty furniture is usually dotted around in a fashion that predicates against talking to anyone else; not that you'd want to talk to half the people who frequent there anyway. Throw in blinking horrible fruit machines and you can be assured that the local JDW will most likely be the biggest p*ss hole in the area.

The Irish pub tradition is one of the best in the world, anyone who'd prefer some brightly-lit sanitised drinking hole over a decent Irish pub is half cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm against chains taking over a place and consequently removing choice.

Most major pubs in Cork are owned by a small number of guys, not much different to a 'chain'. Much boo-hooing about a British operator coming in when I'll bet the very same people will happily shop at Tescos/M&S/Debenhams...like RA heads wearing Premiership tops and going for their hols in Blackpool.

FTA69 wrote: »
    They're awful, soulless places. The carpets are usually vomit-coloured and look like they were picked out by a woman in her 80s. The sh*tty furniture is usually dotted around in a fashion that predicates against talking to anyone else; not that you'd want to talk to half the people who frequent there anyway. Throw in blinking horrible fruit machines and you can be assured that the local JDW will most likely be the biggest p*ss hole in the area.

The Irish pub tradition is one of the best in the world, anyone who'd prefer some brightly-lit sanitised drinking hole over a decent Irish pub is half cracked.

Exactly, there's little difference between one Wetherspoons and the next. There is certainly no historical preservation - their pubs feel like walking in to a cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

FTA69 wrote: »

Some of them in nicer towns and areas in the UK are quite plush, comfortable places where a bit of effort's been put in, you'd find a far nicer Wetherspoons in a city like York or Exeter than you would in some s**tehole like Luton, their food is a bit school dinnerish but decent value compared with paying twice the amount for something average elsewhere, I'll certainly be giving the Three Tun Tavern the once over ( before heading up to the Craft Beer place further down, of course )

Most major pubs in Cork are owned by a small number of guys, not much different to a 'chain'. Much boo-hooing about a British operator coming in when I'll bet the very same people will happily shop at Tescos/M&S/Debenhams...like RA heads wearing Premiership tops and going for their hols in Blackpool.

Are those pubs in Cork all the same looking inside?

Do people decide where to shop for food based on the ambience and atmosphere? :confused:

Poor anology.

This is not mentioned on the menu, where do you see it?

Don't think it's on the menu's in the UK either but there is usually a sign behind the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

dd972 wrote: »
    Some of them in nicer towns and areas in the UK are quite plush, comfortable places where a bit of effort's been put in,

Even the good ones in places like Guildford or Highgate (richest part of UK) are sh*te. You mightn't have the local winos and crack heads drinking in them but they remain crap venues nonetheless.
    their food is a bit school dinnerish but decent value compared with paying twice the amount for something average elsewhere,

The food is total and utter sh*te. I would literally eat anything, and have eaten in Wetherspoons in the past but I would regard it in the same way I would a pre-pack sandwich from the petrol station. Something to fill a hole in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

awec wrote: »
    Are those pubs in Cork all the same looking inside?

Do people decide where to shop for food based on the ambience and atmosphere? :confused:

Poor anology.

People generally don't go to a pub to admire the decor, most ppl in this country wouldn't care if they got p*ssed in a 20' container, provided there was a 'good crowd' in it.

People generally don't go to a pub to admire the decor, most ppl in this country wouldn't care if they got p*ssed in a 20' container, provided there was a 'good crowd' in it.

Huh?

I'd say atmosphere and ambience is pretty high up the list of things people look for in a pub.

Of course price comes in to it, but to suggest people don't care what the feel of the place is like is nonsense. Why do you think that Wetherspoons has the reputation it has? If all people cared about was price and crowd Wetherspoons would be universally loved by all.

awec wrote: »
    I'd say atmosphere and ambience is pretty high up the list of things people look for in a pub.

If that's true then why is every soulless, crap "mega pub" in Dublin rammed to the rafters 3 nights a week playing horrendous music, selling crap beer with no range or choice at inflated prices?

People go anywhere where there's a crowd because people, by and large, are drones when it comes to "going for a few scoops with the biyzzzz".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The food is pure swill in Wetherspoons. It's just filler so you can hoover down more pints. The only people I've met who say they like the food in Wetherspoons are the same sort of people who enjoy all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Don't know where you drink or who you drink with, but I'd wager you're wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

dd972 wrote: »
    Some of them in nicer towns and areas in the UK are quite plush, comfortable places where a bit of effort's been put in, you'd find a far nicer Wetherspoons in a city like York or Exeter than you would in some s**tehole like Luton, their food is a bit school dinnerish but decent value compared with paying twice the amount for something average elsewhere, I'll certainly be giving the Three Tun Tavern the once over ( before heading up to the Craft Beer place further down, of course )

Yep, good post, good example here in Edinburgh, two on George Street one in the bing hall esque version the other is a decent enough boozer as its located in an area with offices around it and other decent bars.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Don't think it's on the menu's in the UK either but there is usually a sign behind the bar.

It is on menu in Derry and Belfast.

Yes, I checked the photos that I took of the menu.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seaneh,

what struck me is the comparison between whiskey prices in my local pubs in a provincial town and whiskey in JDW.

Beamish: 3.30-3.50 3.95 in JDW
    Irish "craft" beer = 4.50 4.75 in JDW
    Whiskey: 4.20 5.50 in JDW

The whiskey price is simply out of line with elsewhere, and I can't see why.

Indeed that puts me off, was mostly going to go in for the whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sadly, alot of truth in this.

Advertisement