Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

do wetherspoons have any good ciders?

In the UK they sell the likes of Stowford Press, Old Rosie and a Tatchers Gold, which are all decent ciders.

No idea what the Irish range is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It's 'hand-crafted' that grinds my gears like oh wow, someone used their hands to make something :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on 'hand-cut sandwiches' or 'hand crafted coffee' :mad:

Sometimes I spend nearly ten minutes making myself a coffee at home, grinding beans, timing the shot, steaming and frothing milk, all that stuff. But I'd never be so up my own arse as to describe it as a 'hand-crafted coffee'!Especially not when it was actually the mechanical ability of the machine to brew at the correct temperature and dispense water at the precise pressure required to make the actual coffee taste as nice as it does. That's not 'hand-crafted coffee', it's 'machine perfected coffee', let's hear them call a spade a spade !

Which establishments use these two phrases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Seaneh wrote: »
    In the UK they sell the likes of Stowford Press, Old Rosie and a Tatchers Gold, which are all decent ciders.

Oh man, Stowford Press was one incredible cider, they used to have it in the Salt House.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I like stowford press they had that in w.j. kavanaghs when i was there, I prefer various Aspall's though. Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Symonds and Thatchers Gold for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

stimpson wrote: »

Both excellent choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I believe they'll be doing 'laser cut' sandwiches instead of 'hand cut'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

do wetherspoons have any good ciders?

3 ciders on the menu though two are Koppaberg so maybe not to everyone's taste.
    Drinks menu here

stimpson wrote: »

Where you seeing this?

3 ciders on the menu though two are Koppaberg so maybe not to everyone's taste.
    Drinks menu here

3 bottled ciders, but 2 draught ciders as well.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Where you seeing this?

menu in the post before yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Seaneh wrote: »

Two draught ciders on the menu.

See here:

http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_2.jpg

Symond's 4.5% = 3.95 pint
    Thatcher's Gold = 4.25 pint

Which establishments use these two phrases?

I've seen the 'hand-cut sandwiches' thing primarily on hotel menus though some cafés are guilty of it too. 'Hand-crafted coffee' is a new enough one for me but I've now seen it on two blackboards outside coffee shops, one on Dawson St the other over behind the Powerscourt Centre. Needless to say I didn't stop to try out their wares, made incredibly with their hands :rolleyes:

I've seen the 'hand-cut sandwiches' thing primarily on hotel menus though some cafés are guilty of it too. 'Hand-crafted coffee' is a new enough one for me but I've now seen it on two blackboards outside coffee shops, one on Dawson St the other over behind the Powerscourt Centre. Needless to say I didn't stop to try out their wares, made incredibly with their hands :rolleyes:
    Which hotel menu? Can you post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I believe they'll be doing 'laser cut' sandwiches instead of 'hand cut'.
    It's probably cheaper to get a laser than find people who can karate chop a samwidge in half.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Geuze wrote: »
    Two draught ciders on the menu.

See here:

http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_2.jpg

Symond's 4.5% = 3.95 pint
    Thatcher's Gold = 4.25 pint

Nice!

I'm tired of everywhere having bulmers alone, swill.
    Not that I like kopparberg much more, but others sound nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Not really that cheap though is it?

Just under a 5er a pint. Same as everywhere else.

The weatherspoons in the UK is much cheaper. When they have a festival on pints fall below £2!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whisko wrote: »
    Not really that cheap though is it?

Just under a 5er a pint. Same as everywhere else.
    There is no very cheap beer, many pubs have 3.50 or €4 bavaria/tuborg/tennants.

But you would struggle to find another pub in blackrock with any of the 500ml+ bottles for €4.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

rubadub wrote: »
    There is no very cheap beer, many pubs have 3.50 or €4 bavaria/tuborg/tennants.

But you would struggle to find another pub in blackrock with any of the 500ml+ bottles for €4.95.

True, but still. There's not really any cheap pubs in Belfast either any more......except for weatherspoons!

I was just hoping they stuck to the UK pricing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If people think those prices are cheap, hope they never hear of O'Reillys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

€3.75 for a pint of Adnams Ghost Ship is downright incredible, I really want to go for a pint there ;)

Their food is still muck though :p

Do O'Reillys sell cask ale and craft beer cheap?

Which hotel menu? Can you post a link?

Last place I can remember sniggering to myself about was here
    http://www.talbotwexford.ie/download/1/Gallery%20Opera%20Buffet%202012_1.pdf

But now that I've thought about it every O'Briens sandwich shop in the country has a big sign up beside their menu boards proclaiming 'Hand Cut Sandwiches' so hotels aren't the only ones trying to be pretentious

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

awec wrote: »
    Exactly, there's little difference between one Wetherspoons and the next. There is certainly no historical preservation - their pubs feel like walking in to a cafe.

I watched a programme about them moving into Ireland recently. They didn't seem to notice any major differences barring lighting, our pubs are much darker apparently.

They looked at the RoI market about 05 but wisely thought better of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whisko wrote: »
    True, but still. There's not really any cheap pubs in Belfast either any more......except for weatherspoons!

I was just hoping they stuck to the UK pricing.
    I think they did not price low on purpose, they are well aware that people were worried that it would be over-run with pissheads if there was cheap drink. If it was very cheap and this happened then people would be objecting/campaigning for them not to come to their town. The real value seems to be the food & pint combinations.

that place is a weird anomaly, sure paulner is cheaper there than in the off licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rubadub wrote: »
    I think they did not price low on purpose, they are well aware that people were worried that it would be over-run with pissheads if there was cheap drink. If it was very cheap and this happened then people would be objecting/campaigning for them not to come to their town. The real value seems to be the food & pint combinations.

that place is a weird anomaly, sure paulner is cheaper there than in the off licence!

I think they are going for 10/20% cheaper. Enough to satisfy people wanting decent value and not getting ripped off, but as you say, not so cheap to be just a pissheads pub.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Do O'Reillys sell cask ale and craft beer cheap?

Neither matters. The issue with Wetherspoons has always been put forward they are obscenely cheap to buy alcohol. That price list is nowhere near this idea at all. There's only a handful of drinks at what'd be considered a cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nobody ever said that they are "obscenely cheap".

Guinness in Enniskillen is 2.65stg, that's about 3.30.

Guinness in Belfast is 2.99stg, that's about 3.75.

Both good value, but not "obscenely cheap".

Neither matters. The issue with Wetherspoons has always been put forward they are obscenely cheap to buy alcohol. That price list is nowhere near this idea at all. There's only a handful of drinks at what'd be considered a cheap price.

Of course it matters, people are looking for a decent product at a reasonable price, I wouldn't drink in o'Reillys if they halved their prices again Because they don't sell what I want

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Nobody ever said that they are "obscenely cheap".

Guinness in Enniskillen is 2.65stg, that's about 3.30.

Guinness in Belfast is 2.99stg, that's about 3.75.

Both good value, but not "obscenely cheap".

Yup.

Where 'spoons is very cheap is when you are eating and getting a drink with it, especially on their "club nights".

Advertisement