Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Lots of people unfortunately.
    Brand loyalty towards Diaego/Heineken products seems to be very strong in this country.
    We really only have ourselves to blame for being ripped off, we're very stuck in our ways when it comes to drinks.

True, I've seen people walk out of a pub because the couldn't get Budweiser. This wasn't a craft house, Coors Light was on tap, but the chose to take their business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's a shame the UK contract doesn't allow them to import the exported Guinness. The would've been hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

True, I've seen people walk out of a pub because the couldn't get Budweiser. This wasn't a craft house, Coors Light was on tap, but the chose to take their business elsewhere.
    Budweiser?! its the worst out of the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I find the fact they stock nothing Diageo and that they actually have the clout not to have to do so, absolutely fantastic! The publicans here complain about the death of the pub culture and people drinking at home, can they not simply give Diageo an ultimatum on price or they pull a weatherspoons? I realise not every pub could do this i.e. the Temple Bar in templebar etc would have to have guinness...

It's not nothing Diageo though.

They have Baileys and Captain Morgan anyway that I know of. Unless they're buying them from the wholesalers.

But still ultimately Diageo brands

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Geuze wrote: »
    Interesting quote:

“I don’t want to put pressure on Diageo, but we simply baulked at paying a higher price for Guinness in Ireland than we do in the UK,” he said.
    He declined to comment on the price difference between the two markets, but it is understood the Irish price is up to 20 per cent higher.

People blame Govt taxes for too high beer prices here, but I've always said, the main cause is the inflated prices charged by the few suppliers into the RoI market.
    UK excise duty is about 5% higher.

Our VAT rate is 3% higher 23% vs. 20%

Rate per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer
    Beer - General Beer Duty £18.74 = 23.6894 EUR

Here €22.55 per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

For what it's worth, I pay £3.20 for Guinness in Birmingham...defo under 4 euro.

I can buy John Smith's for £1.80. Okay not the place you take a girl on a 1st date. In 2010, I could buy pints for £1.49 in Birmingham city centre. They are now £1.80...I can't remember what the beer is....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

What is the Three Tun Tavern like on Friday and Saturday nights? Is there any craic or atmosphere in the place? Is it doing much of a trade now that the novelty has worn off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

But but but, the pub won't have any soul (whilst carelessly sip on my 3 quid erdinger)

• Advertisement

But but but, the pub won't have any soul (whilst carelessly sip on my 3 quid erdinger)
    I'd sit on top of the spire if it meant getting a pint of Heineken for €2.95 in Dublin. Paid €5.35 for one last Saturday in some shithole on Abbey Street. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nib wrote: »
    I'd sit on top of the spire if it meant getting a pint of Heineken for €2.95 in Dublin. Paid €5.35 for one last Saturday in some shithole on Abbey Street. :mad:

I'm in Sligo and it's nearly 4.50 for a Heineken in most places. I'd kill to go into a pub and have most beers priced at 3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

i've kind of given up on pubs the last couple of years, but that would seriously tempt me back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hasn't that been open for ages?

New price list only started today. Stupidly cheap.

I'm in Sligo and it's nearly 4.50 for a Heineken in most places. I'd kill to go into a pub and have most beers priced at 3 euro.
    I'm from Kildare and it's usually €4.70 although a lot of pubs have the 3 pints for a tenner deal on Sundays.

I'm wondering how long those prices at Wetherspoons will stay like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mmmmmm. €2.95 Thatchers Gold.....

I'm from Kildare and it's usually €4.70 although a lot of pubs have the 3 pints for a tenner deal on Sundays.

I'm wondering how long those prices at Wetherspoons will stay like that.

I was informed yesterday that it's indefinite.

Mad money.

2.45 for a pint it beamish. 3.95 for vodka and mixer.

*falls out of wetherspoons*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

well hello there wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why have they had to reduce their prices? I have only been in it one keep meaning to go back sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mmmmmm. €2.95 Thatchers Gold.....

should be popular here in ireland along with cromwell's ale ;)

fryup wrote: »
    should be popular here in ireland along with cromwell's ale ;)

Lol. We live in interesting times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe some cultural nationalist will turn up to picket the place with a placard saying Irish pubs for the Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

An interesting point regarding Scotland. When Wetherspoons first arrived here there was wide condemnation about the cheap drink leading to widespread drunkenness around these pubs. Honestly though, I've been in their pubs during the week and at the weekend and other than the odd arse hole making an eejit of her/himself I haven't witnessed any trouble.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Maybe some cultural nationalist will turn up to picket the place with a placard saying Irish pubs for the Irish :)

In a Celtic jersey with a can of Tennants in his hand perhaps? :D

Madam wrote: »
    An interesting point regarding Scotland. When Wetherspoons first arrived here there was wide condemnation about the cheap drink leading to widespread drunkenness around these pubs. Honestly though, I've been in their pubs during the week and at the weekend and other than the odd arse hole making an eejit of her/himself I haven't witnessed any trouble.

Funnily enough ive even witnessed this phenomenon occur at obnoxious prices.

The Vitners association make me laugh. Pretending to be good corporate citizens if you will. They are only worried now their outrageous profit margins will be down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Why won't they hurry up and come to the city centre. Ain't nobody got time for going out to blackrock.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Why won't they hurry up and come to the city centre. Ain't nobody got time for going out to blackrock.

The ironic thing is that Blackrock is a fairly wealthy part of Dublin from what i gather given that JDW's use a cost efficiency model.
    JDW's could have actually moved into this market at the wrong time considering the idiots running this country are facilitating another property bubble. Id like to see this type of model more widespread across the country. Im absolutely sick of the rip off merchants taking the piss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Gongoozler wrote: »

wetherspoons + temple bar at the weekend with all the brit stag/hen partys...cor blimey! it'll be like the brits never left :pac:

it'll be a little bit of essex in Dublin dahlin

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    wetherspoons + temple bar at the weekend with all the brit stag/hen partys...cor blimey! it'll be like the brits never left :pac:

it'll be a little bit of essex in Dublin dahlin

Your avin a fackin Girawwwwwf mae san!

Advertisement