Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It says they want to expand to Galway.
    Why didnt they plan ahead and take over the an pucan when they had the chance.
    Was idle for near a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hopefully the Vitners Association will see their business model take a huge hit before they have to act accordingly. About time ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hopefully the Vitners Association will see their business model take a huge hit before they have to act accordingly. About time ****ers.

Their loss. Too busy blaming low price supermarket beer and smoking/driving laws to realise that they've been pricing themselves out of people's reach for too long now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

They'll bitch and moan and blame everybody bar themselves, then it will be too late and with any luck they'll be a distant memory.

Their loss. Too busy blaming low price supermarket beer and smoking/driving laws to realise that they've been pricing themselves out of people's reach for too long now

Here's the thing, surely supermarkets would have approx the same overheads? And our local pub is relatively competitive with regards to takeaway prices so it blows the whole buying power of supermarkets argument out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

2.50 for beamish:eek:
    Come on come to Galway fast and put some of those greedy publicans out of buisness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Some savage prices there. Wonder why they cut their beer prices by so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the food menu looks good too, but does it taste good?

anyone eat there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

eaten in Belfast and Liverpool. Its ok. Certainly not bad for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The food is sh!t but I don't care because I'll be too drunk to eat it. Bring on the 2.50 pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Food is far from sh1t. I've eaten in Blackrock a few times now and the only thing I got that wasn't great was the chicken breast. Ribs, wings and Steak were all grand. Crispy chips and onion rings. They were frozen, but at least they were cooked properly.

Had a pint of Shipyard pale Ale there last week for €1.99. I've spent more on cans in an offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cannot wait for the vintners press release tomorrow, expect a media bombardment of how they are ruining the Irish pub by offering reasonable priced pints :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

VinLieger wrote: »
    Cannot wait for the vintners press release tomorrow, expect a media bombardment of how they are ruining the Irish pub by offering reasonable priced pints :P

You know what I was just wondering if Weatherspoons price reductions have been covered in the print media anywhere ? I haven't seen any reports on online news sites about it yet. €2.50 pints of Beamish and Heineken/Staropramen for €2.95 is bound to make JDW the cheapest beer to be found anywhere in Ireland. This is newsworthy news, not only because the such low pub prices are absolutely remarkable in the Irish context but its also newsworthy because it is set against a backdrop of the Vinters Federation lobbying the government hard to put an end to supermarkets selling cheap* booze because you know, those publicans are concerned about the health of the nation and the best way for them to help us through our drink problems is to have us drink in their premises where they can supervise us :rolleyes:

*off license beer in Ireland is NOT cheap, we are something like one of the most expensive in the EU for off sales. Politicans can label it as 'cheap' all they want but that doesn't make it so. We all know bottles of wine can be had in France for €3 upwards, I'm just back from hols in Italy -660ml bottles of Becks for 99c each, same thing would be €2.50 here. We pay insane prices for craft beers and apart from huge customs and exise duties on alcohol plus 23% VAT (highest in EU) the government also slapped a further €1 onto a bottle of wine in the last budget. We are taxed to fcuk on alcohol and it has got considerably worse in the last 10 years. I used to laugh at Scandanvian beer prices and think thank fcuk we aren't like them but these days I've come to the opinion that we have slowly but surely developed their level of taxation on alcohol, in Norway/Sweden/Finlands case it is a dollop of nanny statism but politicians there do actually have a genuine care for public health. Here the move is nothing more than the government and publicans trying their best to dip your pocket even more, all under the guise of public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You know what I was just wondering if Weatherspoons price reductions have been covered in the print media anywhere ? I haven't seen any reports on online news sites about it yet. €2.50 pints of Beamish and Heineken/Staropramen for €2.95 is bound to make JDW the cheapest beer to be found anywhere in Ireland. This is newsworthy news, not only because the such low pub prices are absolutely remarkable in the Irish context but its also newsworthy because it is set against a backdrop of the Vinters Federation lobbying the government hard to put an end to supermarkets selling cheap* booze because you know, those publicans are concerned about the health of the nation and the best way for them to help us through our drink problems is to have us drink in their premises where they can supervise us :rolleyes:

*off license beer in Ireland is NOT cheap, we are something like one of the most expensive in the EU for off sales. Politicans can label it as 'cheap' all they want but that doesn't make it so. We all know bottles of wine can be had in France for €3 upwards, I'm just back from hols in Italy -660ml bottles of Becks for 99c each, same thing would be €2.50 here. We pay insane prices for craft beers and apart from huge customs and exise duties on alcohol plus 23% VAT (highest in EU) the government also slapped a further €1 onto a bottle of wine in the last budget. We are taxed to fcuk on alcohol and it has got considerably worse in the last 10 years. I used to laugh at Scandanvian beer prices and think thank fcuk we aren't like them but these days I've come to the opinion that we have slowly but surely developed their level of taxation on alcohol, in Norway/Sweden/Finlands case it is a dollop of nanny statism but politicians there do actually have a genuine care for public health. Here the move is nothing more than the government and publicans trying their best to dip your pocket even more, all under the guise of public health.

The Journal have it but it will be interesting to see if any print media covers it tomorrow

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/wetherspoons-irish-price-list-1709421-Oct2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

MadsL wrote: »
    Someone needs to sort out the utter pish that passes for beer in Ireland.

Ireland has been left way, way behind, when the best beer in the world is being brewed by Americans Germans.
    FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

SeanW wrote: »
    FYP.

Actually, the Americans are producing some seriously decent beers.

Yes, they have all that ice beer rubbish, as well as the more well know stuff we all know about.

Step away from that and you have Founders, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Flying Dog, SKA Brewing just to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to note our 23% VAT is high, but not the highest in EU.

Also, beer excise is high, but I think UK beer duty is now higher, or close.

Yes, wine duty has been increased a lot recently, as well as spirits duty.

BUT, a large reason for high prices here is the suppliers prices, i.e. the brewers themselves.

It has been well established that Diageo charge more here than in the UK.

Similarly, C&C cider make less profit in NI, than in RoI, as they can charge more here, due to less competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Overall, the beer produced in Germany is of higher quality, but America would have more cutting edge beer at the top of the craft range.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

danslevent wrote: »
    Because everyone would die.
    NO no,that's McDonalds your thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

...the Vinters Federation lobbying the government hard to put an end to supermarkets selling cheap* booze because you know, those publicans are concerned about the health of the nation and the best way for them to help us through our drink problems is to have us drink in their premises where they can supervise us :rolleyes:.
    You have to laugh at the LVA/VFI. They're concerned for our health, but they're completely against the smoking ban, tougher drink driving laws and cafe bars where food will be served with drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

SeanW wrote: »
    FYP.

america is the worlds leading country for craft beer now. ireland is one of the worst, certainly in europe. this chain pub shows up exactly how bad the normal options in ireland are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Putting this in the wrong forum so putting it here now.

I went to the weatherspoons on Saturday evening had a bit to eat and a drink before going to the cinema, this was about 6 o clock the place was jammed.

I really do think Guinness are stabbing themselves in the foot with this one, there were lots of early twenties males drinking Bemish and Murpys with at 2.50 and 2,95 a pint is very cheap, there at the stage of forming their drinking habits. The Heineken at 2.95 is very cheap as well, I don't know if having drink that cheap is a good idea.

The food is good value, its pub food and it grand for what it is, plus the proper coffee at 1.50 and the breakfasts seem extremely cheap for Ireland.

Its not like an Irish pub at all there's nobody siting at the bar with the paper and a pint, its hard to describe the atmosphere. I would say if you are going with a crowed it would be grand and good if your are young its got cocktails and wine at very good prices as well 3.95 for a glass of wine and 6.95 for cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Its like a middle ground, its that cheap it can be used for pre drinking, I would often like to go out for one r two, but not d enough to pay e5.50 a pint and if you have a table there and group of mates, its a good place to go for cheap night, where you wont get split up and can hear each other...

I think it could really hit the likes of TGI Fridays with its food if there were more of them its much cheaper that TGI with similar type food, never liked tgi because they add services and don't pass it on to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was in the Blackrock Wetherspoons (Three Tun) myself on Saturday evening and it was packed out. A good many had come off the train from the match in Lansdowne Road.

I was there with 4 others and we had trouble getting a table for a good hour, but there is a serious issue with that - the bar is not a bar in the traditional sense, it is just an ordering counter with no stools, so you can't use it if all the tables are busy, as everyone in the place has to come and order all food and drink at it, so you find yourself squeezing into nooks and crannies.

The beer is comedy cheap and the food is varied and average quality for pub grub and also very cheap.

But, as my group were discussing, there is something lacking about it. It feels more like a family restaurant than a pub. The lighting is all wrong for evening time. The bar feels more like a check-in at an airport than a bar. And despite the huge range of beer supposedly available, most of it was out of stock due to a "busy night" on the Friday - you would have thought they'd be up to speed with consumption patterns by now.

After it all we decided it would be fine for a quick stop off or a meal with the kids in tow but that we wouldnt meet for a whole night out in it again, despite the savings. Although for the the very price concious and younger crowd its definitely providing a worry for the local competition.

Thats another thing your right about the lighting it too bright for an Irish pub. The whole thing needs a small a bit of tweaking to suit Irish tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive eaten there the last 3 fridays, one of them for lunch and i have to say all 3 meals were excellent value - dinner and a beer for under €11 on all 3 occasions, €2.95 for all pints there after - sensational value.

last friday night it was absolutely rammed in there, luckily we got a table after 10 minutes.

for those complaining about it not being a typical Irish pub in terms of lighting and seating, i hate to break it to you but when the food and drink is that cheap, its anything but a typical Irish pub so i dont see why they should aim to be one.

its a restaurant first and foremost, they are not going to make profit with their cheap beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The lighting is all wrong for evening time.
    UK pubs are generally brighter than Irish ones (i.e. have the lights on) just how they do things, grand once you get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

completely agree here, but its not only them thats driving up the prices - the government take in about 40% on every keg and landlords/insurance companies make a fortune off pubs also.

the overheads on pubs are huge, hence the high price.

Advertisement