Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

anncoates wrote: »
    b) have a agenda whether it be industry related or political ("Brit" chain oppressing True Gael pubs etc).
    Can definitely see this being the VFI's next marketing campaign, a strongly patriotic push with a tinge of xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

flas wrote: »
    Even the spirits list is spot on and with pricing as well. Some people won't be happy about it though, which is hilarious. It really shows the complete lack of choice in the vast majority of irish pubs and how we have been taken advantage of for so long!

Take for example the vodka, 4 different types here all at good value, but you will still have people complaining "sher there is no smirnoff, where's the good stuff?" And I know this for a fact, as i work in a pub in dulin cc with a bit of an middle aged customers and a few months back we got in absolut to start selling as our vodka. We had smirnoff as well but were told to start selling the absolut as our main vodka, cue countless middle aged women and men getting really angry when they ask for a vodka and were given or seen you pouring the absolut into their glass they start giving out they want "the good stuff" I.e smirnoff or that we are trying to rip them off by giving them something other than smirnoff red label!! Its a complete lack of awareness on their part and is something that has been drilled into that generation that it won't go from them any time soon!

That's the power of marketing, combined with a brand loyal population.

The same goes for generic drug usage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,130 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can definitely see this being the VFI's next marketing campaign, a strongly patriotic push with a tinge of xenophobia.

Good job patriotism is with O'Leary in the grave.

Mine's a London Pride thanks Landlord. Whats that you say? €1.99? Certainly sir.

Even the spirits list is spot on and with pricing as well. Some people won't be happy about it though, which is hilarious. It really shows the complete lack of choice in the vast majority of irish pubs and how we have been taken advantage of for so long!

A double Redbreast for 5.75 + 2.00 = 7.75, that's under 4 per measure.

Huge value.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

A double G&T for 5.95 - how much would that be elsewhere? 9 euro?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4hHUtnIcAIPZTK.jpg

Here I go again, trying to paste an image, but it's not working.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I might be getting old(I am) but a large soulless room where I can drink cheap beers and talk to my friends sounds an awful lot more appealing than paying quite a lot of money to drink in a tightly packed pub with obnoxious loud pop music blaring in my ears, making any bit of conversation or actual craic impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Geuze wrote: »
    A double Redbreast for 5.75 + 2.00 = 7.75, that's under 4 per measure.

Huge value.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

A double G&T for 5.95 - how much would that be elsewhere? 9 euro?

In dublin cc you would be lucky to get a double anything with mixer for under a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In dublin cc you would be lucky to get a double anything with mixer for under a tenner.

It's a fiver or more for a single. A mixer would be 2-4 depending on where you went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Take for example the vodka, 4 different types here all at good value, but you will still have people complaining "sher there is no smirnoff, where's the good stuff?" And I know this for a fact, as i work in a pub in dulin cc with a bit of an middle aged customers and a few months back we got in absolut to start selling as our vodka. We had smirnoff as well but were told to start selling the absolut as our main vodka, cue countless middle aged women and men getting really angry when they ask for a vodka and were given or seen you pouring the absolut into their glass they start giving out they want "the good stuff" I.e smirnoff or that we are trying to rip them off by giving them something other than smirnoff red label!! Its a complete lack of awareness on their part and is something that has been drilled into that generation that it won't go from them any time soon!

As long as they're around the vinters will be happy, but its twenty years down the line where the vinters will have real problems and the ones who have adopted will flourish, the ones who stay peddling inferior products and calling them premium and charging premium for them will go under and it will be good riddens.

i would be shocked if any of them could tell smirnoff apart from absolut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

How f*cked up has the world become where JD Wetgerspoons, the poundshop of pubs, is getting discussed as a top, top drinking establishment by hipsters.
    This hipster tag is seriously pissing me off :mad:

Sitting in a boozer last night sampling a fine ale & some tosser threw a remark at me saying "you're a bit old for a hipster!" :confused:

WTF...I've had a ZZ Top beard for the last 25+ years & have been drinking & brewing fine ales for as long as due to the bland pishy offerings that were to be had in this country since the demise of Smithwicks Barley Wine.

I'm probably as old, if not older, than these hipsters parents :mad:

Rant over...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Smirnoff is nasty stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭kooga

opening soon.

as i don' know dublin, good location?big venue

Formerly known as the Light Nightclub

Westend Shopping Park,
    Westend Commercial Village,
    Blanchardstown,
    Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read somewhere that they intend on opening 30 odd pubs here and as good as that is, how much of a dent will that really make on publicans and VFI here? They say they are looking for locations in towns of 20,000+, according to the below from the 2011 census, there are 24 towns and cities with this number or more, Waterford, Limerick and Cork could take several. Dublin could take 20-30 IMO. I hope they do far better than expected and that they roll out as many as possible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

"Did Robert Emmett die roaring on the scaffold to see the lackeys of perfidious Albion whore the looted cask ales of their empire for a few miserable shilling in their foreign establishments that never witnessed a brawl 'tween Kavanagh and Behan?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It's blindingly obvious that some of the people in here slating JDW have a) not been in a lot - if any at all - of them b) have a agenda whether it be industry related or political ("Brit" chain oppressing True Gael pubs etc).

All the while championing a stout founded by someone who was ardently anti-Gaelic, which is owned by a company whose headquarters are based in London and not so long ago considered dropping its Irish image, in an attempt to gain more sales with anti-Irish xenophobes during the Troubles.

Tis also funny that the people who are generally harshly critical of Wetherspoons low pricing seem to be those who have a cut off the craft beer movement in Ireland, dismissing it as rip off swill for hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

"Did Robert Emmett die roaring on the scaffold to see the lackeys of perfidious Albion whore the looted cask ales of their empire for a few miserable shilling in their foreign establishments that never witnessed a brawl 'tween Kavanagh and Behan?"

you must work in marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

kooga wrote: »
    opening soon.

as i don' know dublin, good location?big venue

Formerly known as the Light Nightclub

Westend Shopping Park,
    Westend Commercial Village,
    Blanchardstown,
    Dublin 15

Big enough. Bit of a kip though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Spazdarn wrote: »
    I might be getting old(I am) but a large soulless room where I can drink cheap beers and talk to my friends sounds an awful lot more appealing than paying quite a lot of money to drink in a tightly packed pub with obnoxious loud pop music blaring in my ears, making any bit of conversation or actual craic impossible.

I actually commented to my friend on Sunday night that I also loved the absence of music. DOesn't suit everyone, but it definitely suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I actually commented to my friend on Sunday night that I also loved the absence of music. DOesn't suit everyone, but it definitely suits me.
    Thats the things, with me it would depend on the night, unless its a rowdy saturday night, spoons for me will win every time (once I have one close to me)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

fryup wrote: »
    is there an english feel to the place...

do they have poker machines ?? with chas & dave playing in the background? and a busty barmaid making innuendo whilst pulling pints of bitter?? allo darlin

You mean, like they way they speak in Sunderland or Liverpool or Bristol? Funny how so many people think that all English people have accents that are either Benedict Cumberpatch or Ray Winstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

syklops wrote: »

Agree 100%. The lack of music is odd at first, but I'd take that any day over blaring music that is so loud, you can barely hear yourself think. Restaurants are getting more and more like that now too & I really don't get it. :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Have any Wetherspoons pubs actually opened in Ireland yet? There's a lot of talk about their atmosphere, prices and food offerings and so on but what about a listing of actual, open Wetherspoons in Dublin and Ireland.

Wasn't a pub in Blackrock to be changed into a Wetherspoons? Is that up an running? How do people who been there find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

There's one in blackrock, and Dun Laoighre. In cork there opening on on the sight of the former Mangans nightclub with plans for another in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Wasn't a pub in Blackrock to be changed into a Wetherspoons? Is that up an running? How do people who been there find it?

The one in Blackrock is pretty much like any modern British pub now where it is mostly dedicated to pushing food so a lot of low tables with no stools at the bar. There are numbers on the tables so you have to order and pay for your food at the bar and they will bring it to the number you give, this can lead to getting stuck waiting on a barman while he takes the food order for a large group before serving you.

The food like any other Wetherspoons is good fare at a reasonable price and they also do specials with drink included. I was only in it the once so couldn't comment on what it would be like to be a local boozer and to be a regular patron though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Grayson wrote: »
    Big enough. Bit of a kip though.

You do realise it won't be the same place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Funny how people refer to this 'strange foreign pub' like the difference between a pub that happens to be in Ireland or the fellow anglosphere former centre of government just over the channel is like the difference between an Argentinian Steak House and a Wagamama ! :pac:

Another trip to the "Lets all complain about the only pub in Ireland selling cheap beer" thread.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Have any Wetherspoons pubs actually opened in Ireland yet? There's a lot of talk about their atmosphere, prices and food offerings and so on but what about a listing of actual, open Wetherspoons in Dublin and Ireland.

Blackrock has opened I was there on Sunday.

I was sat in a seat with wood panneling with a mock library(but with real books) beside me. Dimly lit, comfortable. Almost full. Not uncomfortably full, but busy. Pint of Murphys and a Pint of draught pale ale came to 5.60. 5.60 together, not each.

I've heard it said on this thread "the food is muck". What I had on Sunday was savage. Buffalo wings, followed by a beef burger with pulled pork on top. If memory serves me the burger was 8.95.

Dun Laoighre is opening in a couple of days time.

dd972 wrote: »
    Funny how people refer to this 'strange foreign pub' like the difference between a pub that happens to be in Ireland or the fellow anglosphere former centre of government just over the channel is like the difference between an Argentinian Steak House and a Wagamama ! :pac:

You'd swear it was a Mongolian barbecue the way some people are going on.

"None of your foreign beer for me! Pint of Heineken please".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

dd972 wrote: »

But theyve no stools at the bar. CAN YOU IMAGINE?!?!

Advertisement