Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are there no J D Wetherspoon pubs in ROI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

English pubs that serve food usually have a better menu than irish pubs (steak, lasagna, bacon and cabbage, chicken curry or irish stew seem to be the only options in Ireland!) plus English pubs serve a wider variety of beers, ales and ciders. Plus wine that's not some crappy little bottle of californian p!ss.

As for the atmosphere, can't say that I've ever seen much difference in over 30 years of drinking in both countries. English pubs have fruit machines that are annoying, irish pubs have jukeboxes with shiite like Garth Brooks or the Wolfe Tones on which are equally annoying.

This idea of Irish pubs having an amazing atmosphere and being 'mighty craic' is a complete myth. Most of the time they're filled(well, about 5 or 6 people in) with a mixture of the unemployed and farmers who stink of turd.

Now, I'm off soon to have a few pints in The Botanist, where I can choose from well over 60 beers, ales and ciders, and not one of them is Heineken or Guinness. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Irish pubs have a better atmosphere because they are full of Irish people. This is usually in spite of the general ****eness of the pub itself.

Ah yes, because all Irish people are the salt of the earth, full of wit and loved by all.... another myth. You're the same as everyone else. get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

English pubs that serve food usually have a better menu than irish pubs (steak, lasagna, bacon and cabbage, chicken curry or irish stew seem to be the only options in Ireland!) plus English pubs serve a wider variety of beers, ales and ciders. Plus wine that's not some crappy little bottle of californian p!ss.

As for the atmosphere, can't say that I've ever seen much difference in over 30 years of drinking in both countries. English pubs have fruit machines that are annoying, irish pubs have jukeboxes with shiite like Garth Brooks or the Wolfe Tones on which are equally annoying.

This idea of Irish pubs having an amazing atmosphere and being 'mighty craic' is a complete myth. Most of the time they're filled(well, about 5 or 6 people in) with a mixture of the unemployed and farmers who stink of turd.

Now, I'm off soon to have a few pints in The Botanist, where I can choose from well over 60 beers, ales and ciders, and not one of them is Heineken or Guinness. Bliss.

My mouse was hovering over the thank button for this post. And then you went and spoiled it all by saying "or Guinness".

Ah yes, because all Irish people are the salt of the earth, full of wit and loved by all.... another myth. You're the same as everyone else. get over it.

Ah the old self loathing AHer, not exactly a rare specimen. Irish pubs are renowned the world over for their welcoming, convivial atmosphere. Try popping into a rural pub in Australia for comparison.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Ah the old self loathing AHer, not exactly a rare specimen. Irish pubs are renowned the world over for their welcoming, convivial atmosphere. Try popping into a rural pub in Australia for comparison.

No self-loathing here pal, i'm not Irish. Do you really think pubs in rural Ireland are welcoming places full of wit and charm? really? Hundreds of experiences in across all 26 counties would tell me that usually you are greeted with a stare as you walk through the door, followed by odd looks from the 7 locals gathered there when you order a drink with a different accent, and then they ask you "What do you think of us Irish? Aren't we a grand bunch?" before they slip back to watching At The Races and then ignore your presence.

Really convivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I hate having to wade inbetween people sitting at the bar to get a drink. Its very awkward. I welcome the no sitting at the bar thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

No self-loathing here pal, i'm not Irish.
    No shít Sherlock, paddy-bashing's consistent with this John Bull :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Skerries wrote: »
    The one in Blackrock is pretty much like any modern British pub now where it is mostly dedicated to pushing food so a lot of low tables with no stools at the bar.
    Which is a good thing IMO. I hate having to squeeze through people either sitting or standing at the bar to order and getting stared at as if it's me getting in their way and not the other way around.

No self-loathing here pal, i'm not Irish. Do you really think pubs in rural Ireland are welcoming places full of wit and charm? really? Hundreds of experiences in across all 26 counties would tell me that usually you are greeted with a stare as you walk through the door, followed by odd looks from the 7 locals gathered there when you order a drink with a different accent, and then they ask you "What do you think of us Irish? Aren't we a grand bunch?" before they slip back to watching At The Races and then ignore your presence.

Really convivial.

I can see why you arent made welcome, you are a bit of a twat mate.

The notion that there are no cultural differences between pubs in different places is laughable.

MOD: User banned.

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    No shít Sherlock, paddy-bashing's consistent with this John Bull :rolleyes:

Yeah, i should just bash the English like half of the convivial and mercurial Irishmen do in this thread......

I keep forgetting how special you all are, and how unique your culture is (can't remember which section of Irish society it is that also claims to be unique...) and how everything you do is so wonderful and uniquely Irish. you know, stuff like sitting in a pub that is no different to the pub down the road, or the next town, county or even country(apart from the lack of choice...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Yeah, i should just bash the English like half of the convivial and mercurial Irishmen do in this thread......

I keep forgetting how special you all are, and how unique your culture is (can't remember which section of Irish society it is that also claims to be unique...) and how everything you do is so wonderful and uniquely Irish. you know, stuff like sitting in a pub that is no different to the pub down the road, or the next town, county or even country(apart from the lack of choice...)
    I'm not Irish, Corsican actually :pac: :p

The notion that there are no cultural differences between pubs in different places is laughable.

Ah, as welcoming and convivial as ever. But only to people who agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kooga wrote: »
    new draft menu
    Bloody hell! Some of the stuff there is even cheaper than what it is in my local spoons in the UK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

if you dislike the irish so much why post on an irish message board? Or were you evicted from under your bridge?

Irish people dont warm to ****ebags shocker.

Beano wrote: »
    if you dislike the irish so much why post on an irish message board? Or were you evicted from under your bridge?

I have no problem with Irish people, I have Irish friends and family. My only problem is with the propagation of this myth that everyone in Ireland is some amazing, witty, friendly person and that everywhere you go will be like a fun-filled paradise of wit and warmth. I lived there for 15 years, and have done business there for close to 30, and it's simply not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I have no problem with Irish people, I have Irish friends and family. My only problem is with the propagation of this myth that everyone in Ireland is some amazing, witty, friendly person and that everywhere you go will be like a fun-filled paradise of wit and warmth. I lived there for 15 years, and have done business there for close to 30, and it's simply not true.

maybe the people you meet in pubs take an instant dislike to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes, most national stereotypes are not 100% true. What is your point exactly?

Beano wrote: »
    maybe the people you meet in pubs take an instant dislike to you?

Nope, I've made lots of friends over the years in Ireland and the UK, and I've been to good and crap pubs in both. Just sick of this myth that every Irish pub is an amazing place full of Richard Harris clones who will regale you with tales of merriment and wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

While he's probably on a wind up, this constant, self-congratulatory propaganda that Irish pubs are the best in the world (and every pub in England is shit by the sounds of it) is a bit tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Soo..... Shall we begin to get the thread back on its feet again after the latest, petty tussle? :)

Yes, most national stereotypes are not 100% true. What is your point exactly?

That the people who seem to be slating Wetherspoons tend in many cases to be doing it because of an anti-English agenda, and a false belief that Irish pubs are a haven of culture and wit, envied the world over that nowhere else can come close to.

anncoates wrote: »
    While he's probably on a wind up, this constant, self-congratulatory propaganda that Irish pubs are the best in the world (and every pub in England is shit by the sounds of it) is a bit tedious.
    Who said they are the best in the world, Ive consistently said they are largely ****e, people talk up the 'atmosphere' in them - merely said that any concieved good atmosphere is down to the clientele IN SPITE of the ****e selection of beer/food, TVs everywhere etc. Jaysus.

Irish pubs, Dublin pubs in particular, have a good buzz about them, miles ahead of bars in other countries Ive lived in and similar to many in Northern England.

anncoates wrote: »

Not on a wind up at all, some of my favourite pubs are in Ireland. Brogans in Ennis, The Queens in Galway, Fagan's in Dublin. Just not all pubs are great pubs, and not all great pubs happen to be in Ireland.

Wetherspoons can be a great pub, if the clientele is right. They serve great beers, at good prices. Wetherspoons though can also be a terrible pub when filled with a different type of clientele. Just like any two random pubs you could pick anywhere. But at least you know you'll always get a good, reasonably priced, drink from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

syklops wrote: »
    Another trip to the "Lets all complain about the only pub in Ireland selling cheap beer" thread.

Blackrock has opened I was there on Sunday.

I was sat in a seat with wood panneling with a mock library(but with real books) beside me. Dimly lit, comfortable. Almost full. Not uncomfortably full, but busy. Pint of Murphys and a Pint of draught pale ale came to 5.60. 5.60 together, not each.

I've heard it said on this thread "the food is muck". What I had on Sunday was savage. Buffalo wings, followed by a beef burger with pulled pork on top. If memory serves me the burger was 8.95.

Dun Laoighre is opening in a couple of days time.

To be fair, from reading the posts here, I think the JDW in Ireland seems to be better than a lot of their places in UK. Hopefully this will continue, and isn't just for the beginning.

JDW isn't the biggest chain in the UK, so I wonder will other chains follow suit?

Wetherspoons are starting out by cherry picking decent places in good locations in order to establish a good reputation from the start, I'd say. If you were planning on opening 30 pubs, why would you start in Finglas or Clondalkin?

So it's no surprise that the TTT is a decent spot. Good food, great beer, unbelievably cheap prices. Whats not to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ah the old self loathing AHer, not exactly a rare specimen.

Ah, someone who likes something foreign must be a self hating twat, when will they cop on and like things normal Irish people like! Like Man utd, Oasis and Eastenders. Feckin hipsters

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think there needs to be some effort to separate fact from fiction in terms of what the good and bad aspects of the Irish trade are firstly. While there is make belief about 'the great pub atmosphere' being prevalent everywhere, an important distinction needs to be made between:

- The likes of Bowes / Nearys / Kehoes / etc;
    - The likes of The Mercantile / D2 / Temple Bar establishments;
    - The likes of The Black Sheep / Against the Grain;

In the first case, there is something there that the UK can't match and a Weatherspoons can never replicate. These are cosy places with a long tradition that pride themselves on having very professional and able bar staff. You'll get a good pint and an 'atmosphere' in these places. Obviously such things are not to everyone's taste. A Weatherspoon's revolution could squeeze many of these places.

In the second case, the places are popular because people are there; chart music will be played and a drink can be very expensive. I don't believe there is anything uniquely 'Irish' about such places other than the fact they are in Ireland. If you want to go out and get a few beers in and maybe bump into a member of the opposite sex they're decent places to go to. But they probably have a lot to lose from a reimagining of the Irish pub market. Obviously such places are also not to everyone's taste.

And then in the final case, these places are offering something different and new and will probably always have a market. They are already at odds with the pub trade as configured by Diageo and the VFI but they aren't going to have any conflict of customer base with the second group or a potential Weatherspoons chain (imo).

Why Weatherspoons works

One clear difference between Ireland and the UK is the quality of Bar Staff. In London in particular, there is no real publican trade or profession element. Bar jobs are frequently minimum wage type deals. It's a big part of the reason why a Weatherspoons can offer the prices they do. Throttle your staff costs; introduce a (generally) generic template; use economy of scale to do deals with beer suppliers that are favourable and you can throttle your prices.

I agree with those saying that a pub experience with loud music / ropey pints / lack of choice has no argument in the face of Weatherspoon's offering and that the vested interests that want the same overpriced Diageo crap everywhere deserve a root up the hole. But be careful with throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. Nobody wants to spend large portions of their night out queuing in frustration while someone on min wage shakily spills one pint at a time over and back to you and takes forever to fill out your order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That the people who seem to be slating Wetherspoons tend in many cases to be doing it because of an anti-English agenda, and a false belief that Irish pubs are a haven of culture and wit, envied the world over that nowhere else can come close to.
    Im pro competition and therefore pro the arrival of spoons. Not sure about the anti english accusation though.

Advertisement