Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Stoner wrote: »
    It was a good win, but the lack of options at midfield is very worrying. O'Sullivan in out of position there. He accuracy is questionable, even if he had a bad day today I can't ever see him picking up 2 or 3 scores in a game, and that will become more important as defences tighten up and the ball is recycled backwards.
    I think he is a fine player just not a midfielder IMHO.

He actually reverted back to the wing as a sort of third wing back at times and seemed to do better there.The only problem is we have the wing backs to cover that area and Jack Mc and Kev Nolan certainly won;t be giving those positions up unless an injury occurs.He was decent at corner back but again there are too many options there.

I think he is a great player myself but he needs to really step it up and perhaps even be a bit more ruthless.I wouldn't be concerned with the return of scores from play as I think that is well looked after by our forwards and wing backs.Even our corner backs are roaming forward.If Cian can be more tough in the tackle and work on his kick passing to get it back to where it was in 2010 and 2011, we will be solid in midfield.I think McCarthy has the potential to Push his way in at his expense.We actually have a lot of choice at midfield.McCarthy,MDMA,O Sullivan,Bastick and even Flynn is an option.

Its hard to think of a Dublin team without Cian in it but McCarthy has the engine for summer championship football.If you noticed the county final last year,McCarthy really laid the foundation for the win against Crokes with his pace and distribution into the forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

copacetic wrote: »
    Agree midfield is still a problem, but disagree strongly with some of views on O'Sullivan. He's been asked to do a job there in lieu of a 'proper' midfielder than Galvin has time for. He has done it well enough, picking up breaking ball and being comfortable with it. Bascially just because we have more options at the back and he can do a job there. I'd expect he will try McCarthy there also when back, although I think James is a club centre fielder not inter county..

I wouldn't say midfield is a huge problem.It is actually doing reasonably well but probably the sector of the field that needs most attention.I think in most games Cian is doing well but today for instance there was a moment where he was not facing the run of play.His tackling has become a bit more lazy.I am wondering if the hamstring injuries are affecting his pace. Declan O Mahoney seems to be in Gavins plans too lets not forget.Very good at fielding but distribution and pace can seem a bit slow for my liking.Think MDMA is our assured midfielder for championship.

On McCarthy, I think he has the ability to do it in the championship.He can play as a half back too as shown.Its going to be interesting to see who Gavin will go with.
    Connolly also went well today with the pressure off his scoring, he could still easily knock over 4/5 any day but I don't believe he will ever be consistent enough to be reliable..

I like Connolly as a centre forward now.He seems to have matured and grown into that role filling the void left by Alan.Unfortunately last year, we did not have the plan b in place in case Alan did get injured but now Connolly cannot be seen as a lazyfull forward.He is linking the play up very well while still putting scores on the board.Certainky in better form this year. I think the personal trials he is undergoing may actually help his temper on the pitch so I would hope that if anything good can come from this, his discipline will benefit.He did not react to the abuse he was geting from the Mayo player today.

Even today although we played well enough we started with a pile of wides, then stormed ahead but missed goal chance after goal chance. They did too in the end, but we could easily have been 12 up at half time with slightly better finishing.

Was certainly a slow start today.If anything I expected us to get the better start as Mayo have been starting games very poorly throughout.Once Mannion got the goal however, things settled down.Mayo do have a tendency to get bodies back in the goal mouth but I was pleased with how the lads decided to take the points which was sensible in most cases.

Edit - few more posts since I started.
    Re O'Gara, he definitely needs to be in panel. If anything with more scoring options found, the role of a ball winner like him could be really important. I can picture him hammering in on 50/50s and laying ball off, or breaking tackles and doing the same. He did some of that for Brogan 2 years back, but as we had fewer options it was a bit obvious.

Re half back line, it does look sewn up, but McCarthy deserves his runout now imo rather than be forced into a midfield option.

Agree on O Gara.He may seem awkward but I actually feel he was one of the players that improved most in 2012 and was unfortunate to be injured in the latter stages of last years league.He could be the perfect decoy if say Bernard Brogan or Andrews were to get injured.Then again, teams will not get away with double marking Bernard Brogan as Mannion and Andrews are well capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blackbelt wrote: »
    I like Connolly as a centre forward now.He seems to have matured and grown into that role filling the void left by Alan.Unfortunately last year, we did not have the plan b in place in case Alan did get injured but now Connolly cannot be seen as a lazy full forward.He is linking the play up very well while still putting scores on the board. Certainly in better form this year. I think the personal trials he is undergoing may actually help his temper on the pitch so I would hope that if anything good can come from this, his discipline will benefit.He did not react to the abuse he was getting from the Mayo player today.

Agree on O Gara. He may seem awkward but I actually feel he was one of the players that improved most in 2012 and was unfortunate to be injured in the latter stages of last years league.He could be the perfect decoy if say Bernard Brogan or Andrews were to get injured..

Indeed the whole Mayo half back line was up for it in the second half, they must have received a roasting at half time,

Agreed on O'Gara, I miss the guy, regardless of what people think about his skill set he is a potential game changer and a real option. That is one one of the biggest differences I've noticed about this Dublin team and Gilroys, Gilroy might not have had the same panel, but there was a real understanding of what the bench could and would do, the midfiled subs could come on and tighten things up, add some muscle, add fresh running etc O'Gara and McManaman could also come on and change the attack from running at the defense to long balls in, not so much for this team, apart from the calming sub roll Cullen seems to have, its more of a best team out arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote: »
    A liability? He should have had an All Star in 2011.

He's an excellent defender who is without question one of the best distributors in the backs we have.

As regards discipline? He's had his problems and i'm sure the Mayo game is fresh in peoples minds with the criticism but overall he's largely curbed that side of his game.

He faces huge competition in the half backs and shouldn't be guaranteed of his place but its absolute nonsense to dismiss him on the basis of league one game.

To point out the good, Brennan was a real contender for man of the match in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Good open game of ball and a good win.

Have to be honest I don't see Mick Fitz starting in the Championship. Not in the full back like anyway. For me the full back line is a done deal. Rory is the best full back bar none. Cooper is playing great stuff and O'Brien is the real deal too. Lets not forget he was Gavins U21 captain when they won the All-Ireland. For me those 3 positions are theirs to lose.

Half back line is two thirds sorted I would say. McCaffrey won't be shifted this side of the Championship and after a good game today Brennan has shown he is a central figure and pulls the strings there. The other wing is up for debate but given how little game time Kev Nolan has got its hard to see him getting that spot. Plenty of options there with Nolan, McCarthy, Daly, Fitz, McMahon, Devereaux and O'Sullivan etc. For me 1 to 6 is a done deal.

Midfield is a tough one. Gavin seems to like Cian there acting as a link between defense and attack. The days of needing a big fielder in there are gone, especially the way we kick out the ball. Cian is super athletic and covers serious ground. Great ball carrier. Lets not forget he was also U21 captain under Gavin and played midfield for him so hes a fan. MDMA should partner him. Defo our star MF when on form. Bit hot and cold this year. Bastick as back up with Flynn and McCarthy as options perhaps if stuck.

Half forwards is a lottery for me. If Flynn is fit he starts. After that its hard to say. Suppose you can say the same re Connolly if the 3 inside lads are set in stone (BB, PA & PM). To be honest I think we have too many options and lads with too much football to be considering O'Gara as an option. Bernard, Andrews, Mannion, Kilkenny, Connolly, Cullen, Whelan, Flynn, McManamon, Alan, Rock is almost 2 forward lines before I would even consider O'Gara. No thanks. Though for all the options we claim to have the forward subs today were Brady (not good enough), Carthy (bit soon for him), Cullen and McManamon. Not that flush had we been struggling.

Still, enjoying the football so far and moving in the right direction. I was in Ballybofey last week and at one stage Cluxton was the only player in our half. Thats a massive change from games under Gilroy were we had no player in the opposition half. Lets beat Tyrone and worry about the championship and who is available after that.

Will be interesting to see who gets gametime v Galway in the challenge game on 20th of April.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

I think you're right on O Carroll and Cooper. But O Brien will be challenged by Mick Fitz as his sharpness and fitness come back. Be down to form in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I think you're right on O Carroll and Cooper. But O Brien will be challenged by Mick Fitz as his sharpness and fitness come back. Be down to form in the summer.

Not disputing that. A lot will change over the summer months. I was only saying who i think we'll be in for the start of the championship. May come too early for Fitz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/dubs-off-to-open-tower-29200211.html

Jim Gavin has said he's fielding a strong team to finalise team selection for the league final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Anyone else having probs with hill16 site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Anyone else having probs with hill16 site?

Yeah tweeted yesterday to say they are experiencing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Hill 16 site has been flagged up as passing on Malware and other virus'. Hopefully they get it sorted, its a valuable resource.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Yeah tweeted yesterday to say they are experiencing problems.
    Hill 16 site has been flagged up as passing on Malware and other virus'. Hopefully they get it sorted, its a valuable resource.

Yeah thanks lads, got that malware warning myself, was wondering if anyone knows the answer to the following :

In CCC2 matches what is the lowest number of players you can field at the start of a game. I know Div 1,2 & 3 must field 15, and the lowest Div can field as low as 11 - just unsure of the numbers in the middle ground ? .. I should know as I've been doing it for years ! Thanks in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

So the Dublin player has been found guilty and given a three match ban. If Dublin GAA had any integrity at all they would never let this player wear the jersey again.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

3 match ban is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

3 match ban is a joke

You're dead right lad, he shouldnt have received a ban at all. A joke i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Paracore wrote: »
    So the Dublin player has been found guilty and given a three match ban. If Dublin GAA had any integrity at all they would never let this player wear the jersey again.

He's appealing it because there is no clear evidence to suggest he did anything wrong. Referee didn't note it, no video evidence, doctors have conflicting reports. No major farcas at the game.
    The Donegal player should shown a picture/evidence of the "bite" otherwise its one mans word again another.

PS
    IF and its a big IF i agree , shouldnt be allowed were the shirt again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Slattsy wrote: »
    You're dead right lad, he shouldnt have received a ban at all. A joke i say!
    Slattsy, you seem to be on a mission between this thread and the McBrearty thread.

How about you calm down there please.

smashey wrote: »
    Slattsy, you seem to be on a mission between this thread and the McBrearty thread.

How about you calm down there please.

When have I come across as agressive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    He's appealing it because there is no clear evidence to suggest he did anything wrong. Referee didn't note it, no video evidence, doctors have conflicting reports. No major farcas at the game.
    The Donegal player should shown a picture/evidence of the "bite" otherwise its one mans word again another.

PS
    IF and its a big IF i agree , shouldnt be allowed were the shirt again,

Photographic evidence was produced of the laceration.

And be honest does anyone here genuinly in their heart of hearts believe that McBrearty made this up out of thin air for the craic??

I've no doubt that something went on between O'Brien/McBrearty - I've a tougher time believing that if it was a bite that McBrearty/Donegal would wait til half time before bringing it to refs attention, I think there would've been more made of it at the time - maybe some handbags or medical personnel coming onto the pitch (did this happen?) because in the modern day and age the medics are on the pitch for little or no reason at times.

• Advertisement

This is a tricky one. Was it a vicious attack or was it a nip to niggle an opponent. If it was just a nip 3 match ban is probably about right.

When you consider that Paul O'Connell nearly took a players head clean off his shoulders and got away with it, this looks like kids play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is a tricky one. Was it a vicious attack or was it a nip to niggle an opponent. If it was just a nip 3 match ban is probably about right.

When you consider that Paul O'Connell nearly took a players head clean off his shoulders and got away with it, this looks like kids play.

It leads one to wonder what a player would need to do to deserve a ten match ban - murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I've no doubt that something went on between O'Brien/McBrearty - I've a tougher time believing that if it was a bite that McBrearty/Donegal would wait til half time before bringing it to refs attention, I think there would've been more made of it at the time - maybe some handbags or medical personnel coming onto the pitch (did this happen?) because in the modern day and age the medics are on the pitch for little or no reason at times.

Is the incident not supposed to have taken place at half time as the players left the field?

Is the incident not supposed to have taken place at half time as the players left the field?

Yeah klairon just had that exact point clarified on the other thread ... I'm none the wiser :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Just out of interest, if it is compulsory to wear gum shields how did anyone bite anyone... or am I wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Just out of interest, if it is compulsory to wear gum shields how did anyone bite anyone... or am I wrong ?

For one thing, it isn't compulsory to wear gumshields, for another most people have a bottom set of teeth. Gumshields are also removable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Slattsy wrote: »
    When have I come across as agressive?
    Where did I say aggressive? Trolling would be a better term.

smashey wrote: »
    Where did I say aggressive? Trolling would be a better term.

You said calm down....?

Anyway, I've never been accused of trolling once of my time on boards.

And if that's how the GAA mods/admins view an opinion that doesn't conform with their own or the majority when the subject matter is hardly fact then I'm out of here.

Good job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Right, I think for the sake of everyone's sanity (regular posters and mods), perhaps it's best if we leave discussion of the Donegal biting incident to the dedicated thread. Otherwise we're just going to have the same arguments over and over on both threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

in the modern day and age the medics are on the pitch for little or no reason at times.[/QUOTE]

as a medic often working at croke park for matches would have to disagree with your point of view. if player is down on the pitch we only know when we get there whats wrong with them. so there is a lot of reason to go on to the pitch

villains77 wrote: »
    ......as a medic often working at croke park for matches would have to disagree with your point of view. if player is down on the pitch we only know when we get there whats wrong with them. so there is a lot of reason to go on to the pitch

Fair play youse do a great job, it's a great leap forward to have trained medical personnel at most senior matches these days, the days of the fella with the water bottle being the team medic are well and truly gone.

I'm just wondering other than fulfilling your medical role, whether when you approach the player that you quickly determine is not suffering serious injury that to save the dash for nothing, you may have some strategic instructions from the sideline that you pass on to the former stricken player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Fair play youse do a great job, it's a great leap forward to have trained medical personnel at most senior matches these days, the days of the fella with the water bottle being the team medic are well and truly gone.

I'm just wondering other than fulfilling your medical role, whether when you approach the player that you quickly determine is not suffering serious injury that to save the dash for nothing, you may have some strategic instructions from the sideline that you pass on to the former stricken player ?

we have no contact with any of the team managers regarding strategic instructions. we just know when and when not to go on ie like a serious head injury or usually the physio will call us on to the pitch if he cant deal with it there . its an enjoyable experience as i play gaelic football myself well most of the time (irish weather):(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Folks - I know Dublin are playing a challenge game against Galway tomorrow (20 April) - is the location of the Round Towers pitch accurate on Google Maps?

http://goo.gl/maps/bVIgP

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Folks - I know Dublin are playing a challenge game against Galway tomorrow (20 April) - is the location of the Round Towers pitch accurate on Google Maps?

http://goo.gl/maps/bVIgP[/QUOTE]

€10 at the gate (kids free)

Marquee with Onsite bar and entertainment

Throw in 7.00pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Would be great if we could beat Tipp on Sunday. Would be some achievement to win the league from division 1B and probably give a good statement that the league system should be reformed. It's not fair on Limerick and Cork to be whooping teams by 20 point margins next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

reports of tonights team from members who seen the programme, nolan and mcarthy back while brogan playing will hopefully find out more very cagey about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dublinfan wrote: »
    reports of tonights team from members who seen the programme, nolan and mcarthy back while brogan playing will hopefully find out more very cagey about it

What??

villains77 wrote: »
    we have no contact with any of the team managers regarding strategic instructions. we just know when and when not to go on ie like a serious head injury or usually the physio will call us on to the pitch if he cant deal with it there . its an enjoyable experience as i play gaelic football myself well most of the time (irish weather):(:(

Ah sorry crossed wires here ...you're one of the guys in the dayglo yellow jackets ?, nah when I see you coming on the pitch I've a fair idea that we're talking something serious ... I was speaking more about the physios and maor uisce (I think the Mayo lad last Sunday saw more game time than some of the players !) ... keep up the good work !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Dublinfan wrote: »

Brogan ran amok, by all accounts. When he is in the groove, he is a joy to watch. Shipping sixteen scores to Galway is a concern - no offence intended towards our cousins from the west.

Need to sort out the backline, left exposed too often. Tyrone could find a lot of joy out of them next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Brogan ran amok, by all accounts. When he is in the groove, he is a joy to watch. Shipping sixteen scores to Galway is a concern - no offence intended towards our cousins from the west.

Need to sort out the backline, left exposed too often. Tyrone could find a lot of joy out of them next weekend.

did ocarrol start? i dont expect half of these players there next week think gavin will start with the big players and a similar team to mayo match with a few changes

• Advertisement

Wasn't there last night but this was the starting line up.

Supple, McMahon, Fitzsimons, Byrne, Guckian, Nolan, Devereux, O'Mahony, Carthy, Whelan, Cullen, Brady, McManamon, Rock, B.Brogan.
    Subs - Cluxton, O'Carroll, Connolly, George, Lowndes, Mannion, M D McCauley, McCarthy, Nelson.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think that was the team on paper, o'carroll and McCarthy started, in for Nicky Dev and Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

TG4 showing Dublin Tipp match now would be a great day to see the boys get stuck in and beat Tipp. Hoping for a great game of hurling.

Dissapointing so far, 1B certainly looks to have taken its toll, slower to most balls, losing a lot of high balls. Tipp now can afford to go for goals from everywhere, I'd be worried about the final score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Not what I was hoping for at all. Very poor first half. Tipp could destroy them in the second half if they are not careful.

Does look like the strong wind made a difference, but not that much of one. Missing great goal chance in first minute then giving one up in second was a bad start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Would be some achievement to win the league from division 1B and probably give a good statement that the league system should be reformed. It's not fair on Limerick and Cork to be whooping teams by 20 point margins next year.

Where do you get this from? Reading over the results Limerick's biggest win in IB this year was their 6-point victory over Dublin, so what exactly makes you think they'll be handing out 20-point beatings next year if the format doesn't change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I didn't expect anything from Dublin today and to be fair when KK and Tipp up their game nobody can match them.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Tipp in that form are just unstoppable. Really impressive stuff.

Part of story from examiner.
    Dublin star Brogan may be out for the season
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 05:05 PM
    Dublin defender Ger Brennan has hinted today that Dublin forward Alan Brogan may be out for the rest of the season.

Just last month fellow Dublin forward Paul Flynn revealed that the three-time All-Star was back training with the squad, after a disappointing 2012.

A groin injury meant that Brogan only lasted for 17 minutes after being introduced as a substitute during the All-Ireland semi-final loss to Mayo.

"It looks like Alan might be out for the rest of the season," Brennan said.

"He has so much experience and he is a great presence, whether he is on the pitch or hanging around the dressing room.

"He is working hard on his fitness and trying to get back up to match fitness. It has taken a lot longer than I think he envisaged and it will be a while yet before he comes back fully. As I mentioned he his a great influence on the panel."

Brennan was speaking at a media event ahead of the Allianz League Finals this weekend, with Dublin hoping for a first league success since 1993 when they face Tyrone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement