Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hope that's inaccurate, really want to see him back playing this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Really doubt he will be back, hasn't played in about a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

bollix......................thats all I have to say about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Thats tough on him finding it hard to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I couldn't see him breaking back into the panel for this year :(
    The starting team for the championship is pretty much sown up in a lot of positions and the half forward and full forward lines have a lot of back up anyway.Having not played for 9 months,his fitness would be way behind the likes of Flynn,Kilkenny,Connolly,Bernard and Mannion and I do not think he would get away with it given how Gavin is implementing a more open attacking style of play as opposed to Gilroys system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

blackbelt wrote: »
    I couldn't see him breaking back into the panel for this year :(
    The starting team for the championship is pretty much sown up in a lot of positions and the half forward and full forward lines have a lot of back up anyway.Having not played for 9 months,his fitness would be way behind the likes of Flynn,Kilkenny,Connolly,Bernard and Mannion and I do not think he would get away with it given how Gavin is implementing a more open attacking style of play as opposed to Gilroys system.

He'd be a huge loss if Dublin were still playing like they did under Gilroy. He played a pivotal role in bringing other forwards into the game. But Dublin flood forward in numbers these days with good interplay so his absence won't be as keenly felt i think.

Must be a tough time for him personally though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I still think he is a huge loss, he is a proven championship scorer, I really hope all these new guys can produce the goods on the day but it has yet to be seen.
    To be honest I took more hope from the few points C Kilkenny scored against Mayo in the championship last year then I did from most of the performances from the new forwards I've seen in the league.
    That said he will need replacing sooner rather than later and it's good to see fresh bodies there, he'd still be one of the first names down to start for me if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Jim Gavin Says Ger Brennans Claims are Untrue about Alan Brogan

http://www.fm104.ie/News-Sport/Article?itemid=14709

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

You buy your sister a pair of season tickets as a present, as to have an excuse to hang out with her and keep in touch - she asks would you mind if she brings her new fella to his first game at the league. :rolleyes:

Maybe I need to change me aftershave?

Ah, well. At least she is converting the non believers.

Anyone not able to go, but wanna make the 60 percent - il paypal you the cost of the ticket on the day and you email me the ticket.

Sound fair?

Times are hard and id rather give a fellow Dub the cash.

• Advertisement

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Jim Gavin Says Ger Brennans Claims are Untrue about Alan Brogan

http://www.fm104.ie/News-Sport/Article?itemid=14709

Silly thing for Ger to say. Let the rest of the teams think Al is back training and chomping on the bit for a game.

Or could the management team be playing mind games? Strange for a well educated lad like Brennan to be contradicting the manager.

Cad e an sceal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Silly thing for Ger to say. Let the rest of the teams think Al is back training and chomping on the bit for a game.

Or could the management team be playing mind games? Strange for a well educated lad like Brennan to be contradicting the manager.

Cad e an sceal?
    Brennan didn't contradict Gavin, it was the other way around.

Brennan said Alan might miss the rest of the season.

Gavin said he's hopeful that he'll be fit by the time we play in championship. Which probably means its no more than 50/50, and that he's no chance of playing in the first game as he'd have no match practice. Add in just one more setback with a couple more weeks of delay and suddenly he's out until the Leinster final or qualifiers, at which stage anyone would find it difficult to break into a team.

So I think the fact of the matter is he might miss the season, or he might be back in time for a Leinster semi/qualifier. Its one of those injuries that's hard to pinpoint an accurate return time.

Lets bury Tyrone at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Appeal successful, Kevin O'Brien a free man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Delighted that this alleged rumour is untrue.

Close the door and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It does say it was unproven from the evidence that was given. What was the evidence?

I'd doubt someone would make up that they were bitten either. What would be the point in that?

Neeson wrote: »
    What would be the point in that?

Getting the media off of their back over their relegation.

Surly that is not the chase. It does make a little sense to take the heat of their players for the poor league showing, put come on, thats slander of the highest order.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Surly that is not the chase. It does make a little sense to take the heat of their players for the poor league showing, put come on, thats slander of the highest order.

Jimmy is losing matches, Jimmy is relegating teams....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I don't think that this will be the end of it either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

sgarvan wrote: »
    I don't think that this will be the end of it either

I'd say it will. McBrearty wouldnt go to the hearing, and that was a major key part of the evidence. If he wasnt going to go, then there was unlikely to be any further ramifications from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Donegal management and players have shown some marvellous inititave and ability over the last 12 months but to know that they were going to be relegated at half time was quite a feat, that really is clutching at straws of the highest order.
    Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Delighted that this alleged rumour is untrue.

Close the door and move on.

one committee found him guilty another cleared him due to lack of evidence presented, how you have come to the conclusion that it is an untrue rumour is bizzare to say the least.

Very much doubt the door is closed, we will hear more on this I suspect.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'd say it will. McBrearty wouldnt go to the hearing, and that was a major key part of the evidence. If he wasnt going to go, then there was unlikely to be any further ramifications from it.

I would imagine McBrearty is as embarrassed about the whole thing as anyone and just wants to play football, it was a no win situation for him, and he probably has no idea who bit him*

* if he was bitten that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Donegal management and players have shown some marvellous inititave and ability over the last 12 months but to know that they were going to be relegated at half time was quite a feat, that really is clutching at straws of the highest order.

one committee found him guilty another cleared him due to lack of evidence presented, how you have come to the conclusion that it is an untrue rumour is bizzare to say the least.

Very much doubt the door is closed, we will hear more on this I suspect.

People are saying it are untrue just like it MUST be true when a committee found him guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I would imagine McBrearty is as embarrassed about the whole thing as anyone and just wants to play football, it was a no win situation for him, and he probably has no idea who bit him*

* if he was bitten that is.

IF he was forced into it, i do feel sorry for him in this

This case is done, and Donegal count board and the GAA should be ashamed.

Donegal County board for how they handled their own player, and accusing someone of an offence so serious with a picture of a mark??

The GAA for the statement they released, its as if they where saying ye he done it but cant prove it, should of been lack of evidence so he is innocent, instead of lack of evidence so we cant do him.

Anyways...... looking forward to the team tonight, be interesting see has anyone got into the starting 15 during the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

bruschi wrote: »

When I say this may not be the end of it, I don't mean from a CHC point of view. I just have a feeling that as he still has not been declared innocent that a slander case may happen.

Could be totally wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

yes the book should be threw at McBrearty and Donegals CO. Board

sgarvan wrote: »
    When I say this may not be the end of it, I don't mean from a CHC point of view. I just have a feeling that as he still has not been declared innocent that a slander case may happen.

Could be totally wrong though

Hopefully not, O Brien does have a case doh. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

• Advertisement

yes the book should be threw at McBrearty and Donegals CO. Board

For what?? The committee did not rule it was a false allegation or anything of the sort, they decided there wasn't enough evidence available - two completely differrent things.

For what?? The committee did not rule it was a false allegation or anything of the sort, they decided there wasn't enough evidence available - two completely differrent things.

To bring a case you have to have a certain about of evidence, it seemed Donegal had a picture of a bruise.
    That is not enough and if he did go legal route he probably would have a case.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    To bring a case you have to have a certain about of evidence, it seemed Donegal had a picture of a bruise.
    That is not enough and if he did go legal route he probably would have a case.

It wasnt a court of law you do need a 'certain about of evidence'.

Donegal County Board never once mentioned O'Briens name to the press or in public, if he has a case its against the CCCC.

It wasnt a court of law you do need a 'certain about of evidence'.

Donegal County Board never once mentioned O'Briens name to the press or in public, if he has a case its against the CCCC.

I think it would come under the defamation of character, which is a very easy thing to get a prosecution under, but seriously this is a football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I think it would come under the defamation of character, which is a very easy thing to get a prosecution under, but seriously this is a football forum.

I'd say the last thing any corner back would want is a case where details of his marking techniques would have to be laid bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'm glad this is over.

There always seemed a complete lack of evidence against him but if he did do it thats unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Team for sunday is
    Cluxton
    O'Brien
    Cooper
    Daly
    McCarthy
    Brennan
    McCaffrey
    Mccauley
    O'Sullivan
    Flynn
    Connolly
    Cullen
    Mannion
    Andrews
    Brogan

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Great to see O'Brien in the side. Hope he is not affected long term by the drawn out farce. The GAA and the media have a lot to answer for. Boards.ie didn't handle it at all well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

copacetic wrote: »
    Great to see O'Brien in the side. Hope he is not affected long term by the drawn out farce. The GAA and the media have a lot to answer for. Boards.ie didn't handle it at all well either.

You can be sure it didn't effect Kevin O'Brien at all bar wasting a few hours of his life that he'll never get back at the appeal during the week.

The verdict was never in doubt. He knew it and the management knew it too. Thats why I would say that not only was he named in the team to start today but you can be sure he is listed there in the programme which waould have been submitted early in the week. Thats how confident they would have been. No panic there. Common sense prevailed, even if it took a while.

• Advertisement

I'd be concerned about it following him around, the GAA have a lot to answer for about how it was handled. Still implicating him in press allowing people with bias to paint a different story on his clearance, as per other shameful thread on it here on boards.

Anyway, hopefully it just makes the team stronger seeing how a teammate can be treated by his organisation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dublin are just fantastic to watch this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Great win COYBIB!!!

One things for sure, these kids are no startled earwigs.

COYBIB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Good thing we didn't give in and kept going. Things are looking bright for the Dubs this summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

tyrone showed how to lock down the dublin forwards, I wouldn't be over confident about an AI

jaysus, if we win another cup clucko will have a melt down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Quite the charismatic speech by Stephen Cluxton at the end there!
    Jaysus did he look awkward! Good lad between the sticks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jam08

One serious positive I thought was the performances by Brennan and Connolly. Whereas in the past they've reacted in them tight games, they stood tall today and didn't retaliate (and by god there was some serious sledging and off the ball stuff on Connolly).

McCaffrey a serious talent too (but sure we all know this).

Downside may be the decision making/shooting up front, but they were under serious pressure to be fair, and 0-17 points not the worst return against that. 2nd half there when we were coming forward, there was 12 men behind the ball, which caused a bitta panic. Think ref was poor in general, but didn't alter result.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

baztard wrote: »
    Quite the charismatic speech by Stephen Cluxton at the end there!
    Jaysus did he look awkward! Good lad between the sticks though!

Ah he's a good man too though, he's just not into the whole media/public speaking thing. I could see he didn't want to do it but it's part of the job now.

Great win. Mainly for the fightback on a day when a lot wasn't going our way. Lack of fluidity and poor decision making and finishing were a problem, but everyone kept plugging away. Some of the forwards looked to struggle or even be surprised at the tight draggy slappy defence from Tyrone which they should have been expecting. We did well against the off the ball antics, but otherwise struggled a bit, playing through fouls then losing the ball. While at other end they had a gameplay to win the frees and knock them over to win the game. Great striking by their keeper and we seemed not to cop on to the game plan until it was too late.

We didn't make near enough of the wind in the first half, but the fight back was all the more impressive for being in to the wind.

Brogan had a bad enough day, no score from play and a shocking free miss, we have seen in before from him, he needs to really up his concentration when there is messing around him. Although how Duffy let Gormley away with his antics I've no idea. He motioned for him to come to hm for a yellow card 4 times and Gormely just ignored him, then moved forward just as free was taken and got within 4 or 5 yards without any action from ref. Anyway in spite of not being his best day he drew a lot of fouls and could have easily been given 3 or 4 more kickable frees.

Otherwise it was good that we coped well without him being at his best, Mannion did well to score against the tighter marking and his free miss was a more difficult one. Connolly chipped in with two nice points. Paddy Andrews having trouble getting his scoring touch back, he is still trying for wonder scores like earlier in the league but most not near the target. Mcmaneman did well when he came on winning ball and breaking tackles for others even though no scores himself and obviously Rock scored two beauty's.

So a team spread of scores which was good, a lot of the misses and goal chances not taken particularity in the first half were not so good. We won the midfield easliy enough and had a stong wind and plenty of chances yet still managed to go in level.

It was Tyrones lack of ambition and Stephen O'Neill that kept us in it late on. With teams level they were only sending 2 or 3 over half way line, everyone else standing back. Plenty of times when 25 players were inside their 40. Wouldn't have worked so well if the wind hadn't been so strong making longer attempts very difficult.

We coped well enough at the back, but again man for man just looks so open and risky these days. Plenty of times one hop of the ball or missed catch away from putting Tyrone through on goal.

All in all a good day and I'd imagine both sides delighted to have an extra serious game before the championship starts, especially Tyrone who should find it helpful in Ballbofey. Although I'd expect a much different game that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Gavin stamped his mark no matter what your name is if your not playing your coming off and he won us the game with bringing rock on buzzing for the summer now

• Advertisement
Advertisement