Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have to say that was a great win yesterday . It was good to see our lads keeping their cool as the challenges flew in yesterday . But to me the biggest positive is the fact we just kept plugging away and refused to be beaten . When you have that sort of hunger in a team it makes managing them a whole lot easier . The amount of options this year is staggering too . It should make for a very competitive squad for this years All Ireland Championship .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

May sound foolish to say this after our first League win in 20 years but i'm not as optimistic as the majority.

Dublin have heaps of players of real quality and play a lovely brand of football but i think they're made for the likes of Donegal and Mayo in late summer. Considering their backround with Pat Gilroy the level of defending was atrocious on Sunday. Tyrone players simply walked through tackles, many times without a finger being laid on them.

Now i know they came through so that point seems moot but when teams get fitter and battle hardened later in the summer i can't see them scoring 18 points. Unfortunately i can see them conceding 17 points. In the league the 'you score 20, we'll score 21' approach worked well but it won't work at the business end of the championship imo.

McCaffrey is the perfect example. For all his brilliance going forward he is a poor defensive hb. His pace lets him recover most times but one on one he's easy to go around and he tends to get drawn to the ball in defensive situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

corny wrote: »
    May sound foolish to say this after our first League win in 20 years but i'm not as optimistic as the majority.

Dublin have heaps of players of real quality and play a lovely brand of football but i think they're made for the likes of Donegal and Mayo in late summer. Considering their backround with Pat Gilroy the level of defending was atrocious on Sunday. Tyrone players simply walked through tackles, many times without a finger being laid on them.

Now i know they came through so that point seems moot but when teams get fitter and battle hardened later in the summer i can't see them scoring 18 points. Unfortunately i can see them conceding 17 points. In the league the 'you score 20, we'll score 21' approach worked well but it won't work at the business end of the championship imo.

McCaffrey is the perfect example. For all his brilliance going forward he is a poor defensive hb. His pace lets him recover most times but one on one he's easy to go around and he tends to get drawn to the ball in defensive situations.

I agree . Tyrone had the beaten of the Dublin backs all game . In particular Donnelly and Cavanagh . And with O'Neill , a fit Kyle Coney and Peter Harte they would of won that game . Also Mayo will have Dillon and Moran back come late summer which will give them a much more potent forward line .. I wouldnt write off Kerry either . Their forward line of Cooper , Donaghy , Galvin and the two O'Sullivans would be very hard to handle if given that space . An All Ireland is far from a guaranteee .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I honestly think we can go all the way this year but we will have to up our game . Right now as it stands we have used 36 different players in this years league campaign . Jim Gavin has also brought in a few of the U 21 lads so I would be optimistic . I don't know figures for other counties but I would say Dublin used the most players for the league . I also think we are missing Rory O ' Carroll more then is being commented on . Johnny Cooper is a fine player but he is more suited to playing as a half back rather then playing as Rories understudy . I think the fact Tyrone gave us a hell of game was better for us then for the Dubs to waltz through . It shows we need to make tweaks to the system . It also showed above all else the mentality and hunger of the team .

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Not jumping the gun but looking really good at the mo :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Not jumping the gun but looking really good at the mo :cool:

Gavin has two big tasks ahead - sort out our defensive frailties and keep the hype from getting to the young lads. He does both and we have a great chance this summer.

Great time to be a Dub, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

still very light in midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Stoner wrote: »

We won an All Ireland with that ;)

We won an All Ireland with that ;)

Lol I don't think so, there has Barry Cahill and Flynn playing as drop in midfielders and EF on the bench,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Gavin has two big tasks ahead - sort out our defensive frailties and keep the hype from getting to the young lads. He does both and we have a great chance this summer.

Great time to be a Dub, mind.

Our defensive frailties cannot be laid solely upon the three guys playing in the full back line. Previously under Gilroy Dublin played tactically to protect the full back line. This is why we did not ship high scores.

This year we play a more open brand which has the 3 guys exposed, hence the high scores.

A really good forward line would destroy Dublin currently.

I think come 1st June the tactics will be slightly tighter but not a much as Gilroy had.
    Stoner wrote: »

We have been light at midfield for a while now. Gilroys tactics was to bypass midfield by using Flynn & Cullen to drop back and carry the ball forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

sgarvan wrote: »
    This year we play a more open brand which has the 3 guys exposed, hence the high scores.

A really good forward line would destroy Dublin currently.

Donegal where the only team to concede less.

Also last year and year before that we conceded more.

Anyone hear the interview Jim McGuinness gave??

Absoloute disgrace, first he couldn't even get his facts straight, stating the Patrick has only turned 19 when the truth is he is turning 20, then donegal news reporting the Kev apologised and also that the Dublin doctor confirmed it was a bite. Which is clearly lies.

He also says its a fact that McBrearty was bitten. Wouldn't surprise me if a court case is brought against him to shut him up.

He even mentions soar grapes

Also this interview shows how poor Irish newspapers are.

The indo couldnt even quote McGuiness correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Rochey18 wrote: »

Absoloute disgrace, first he couldn't even get his facts straight, stating the Patrick has only turned 19 when the truth is he is turning 20, then donegal news reporting the Kev apologised and also that the Dublin doctor confirmed it was a bite. Which is clearly lies.

He also says its a fact that McBrearty was bitten. Wouldn't surprise me if a court case is brought against him to shut him up.

The most bizarre thing about the whole alleged incident I find is that, if it happened during the game, how come there was no scuffle or anything of note that would have been seen or brought to the attention of the umpires, linesmen or referee. Hard to imagine somebody being bitten or sustaining a "laceration" and not immediately reacting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Anyone getting out and about this weekend for the football championship ? Heading up to Ravens tonight (if its not lashing) to catch Maurs and Raheny in the Seniors. Tomorrow probably subject to me bringing the god forbids with me :D, I'll head over to Naul for an Inter double header of Finians/O'Dwyers and Brigids/Ballyboughal -

Maurs/Raheny I'd imagine will be a tight match couple of points either way, Finians new crop of Inters will be interesting to see after last years team to my mind were the best in Inter football, save Good Counsel upsetting the applecart. Never know what you'll get with O'Dwyers but they should have enough in reserve to see off Finians. Brigids have a habit off pulling out a performance in championship and should have the beating of Boughal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Previously under Gilroy Dublin played tactically to protect the full back line. This is why we did not ship high scores.

Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Anyone getting out and about this weekend for the football championship ? Heading up to Ravens tonight (if its not lashing) to catch Maurs and Raheny in the Seniors. Tomorrow probably subject to me bringing the god forbids with me :D, I'll head over to Naul for an Inter double header of Finians/O'Dwyers and Brigids/Ballyboughal -

That's my plan for the weekend too.

I'll wear a red carnation and a rolled up copy of The Daily Mirror in me arse pocket ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Maurs/Raheny I'd imagine will be a tight match couple of points either way, Finians new crop of Inters will be interesting to see after last years team to my mind were the best in Inter football, save Good Counsel upsetting the applecart. Never know what you'll get with O'Dwyers but they should have enough in reserve to see off Finians. Brigids have a habit off pulling out a performance in championship and should have the beating of Boughal.

Who do you think will win the games tonight? Big shock to see Oliver Plunketts out.

• Advertisement

closeline wrote: »
    Who do you think will win the games tonight? Big shock to see Oliver Plunketts out.

Howya .. going on early form I'd imagine that Brigids will have way too much on Whitehall and should win handy, and much the same for Kilmacud & Kickhams against St. Marys & Round Towers. The only tight game I see is the one I'm off to tonight between Maurs/Raheny. Raheny have drawn 2 of their 4 league games already and I'd be surprised if this wasn't a close one too ... gun to the head I'd go with Maurs. Enjoy it if yer going to any of them.

I would agree with the above, if their is going be another shock I would guess it be Ballymun,

I would agree with the above, if their is going be another shock I would guess it be Ballymun,

Haven't seen anything of Ballymun post club final - had heard from a lad in work they were impressive against Na Fianna couple of weeks ago. They may struggle to reach the heights of last year but I'd be surprised if they cant dispose of AFL2 team tonight .. then again stranger things have happened

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

closeline wrote: »

Anyone at that game, true that Bernard missed a free from right in front to level it late on? Great win for Balinteer, some greats young players coming through there.

....... The only tight game I see is the one I'm off to tonight between Maurs/Raheny. Raheny have drawn 2 of their 4 league games already and I'd be surprised if this wasn't a close one too ...

Gone to extra time 0-9 to 1-6 :rolleyes:

Fisty cuffs 14 aside now .. all square 1-7 0-10

Finished all square 1-8 to 0-11. Draw was available @ 13/2 damn

Big wins for Brigids Crokes & Kickhams in other matches tonight. My Mun man tells me Round Towers gave a good account first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Howya ..The only tight game I see is the one I'm off to tonight between Maurs/Raheny. Raheny have drawn 2 of their 4 league games already and I'd be surprised if this wasn't a close one too ... gun to the head I'd go with Maurs. Enjoy it if yer going to any of them.

Spot on Doc. Its a pity you didn't follow your instincts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

I think Crokes will win it this year , Ballymun to be their main challenger. Would love Balinteer and Templeogue Synge Street to go far - great young teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

In fairness he is 19. And I think the sour grapes was him saying why it wouldn't be a good idea to come out complaining in the media afterwards, because people (probably a few on here!) would say it was sour grapes because they were relegated.

I suppose no one will really know what went on exactly. I think the main thing he was talking about was the way the president reacted and sure Jim is just sticking up for his man. I'm sure the other Jim would do the same.

Just back from Inters in Naul, bit of a surprise with Finians new batch getting the better of O'Dwyers low scoring encounter I think it was 0-6 to 0-4 (so few scores you'd think I'd be able to count them!). St. Brigids saw off Ballyboughal a bit more handily with Ken D'arcy showing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Just back from Inters in Naul, bit of a surprise with Finians new batch getting the better of O'Dwyers low scoring encounter I think it was 0-6 to 0-4 (so few scores you'd think I'd be able to count them!). St. Brigids saw off Ballyboughal a bit more handily with Ken D'arcy showing well

St Finians and O'Dwyers was a thriller!! 0-06 to 0-05 was the final score. All our scores coming from placed balls and I think 1 maybe 2 of Finians scores came from play. I think if the goal we had disallowed was allowed we would of went on to win the game, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Great pitch in the Naul but it is a wind tunnel at times.

Best of luck to Finians in the rest of the tournament.

St Finians and O'Dwyers was a thriller!! 0-06 to 0-05 was the final score. All our scores coming from placed balls and I think 1 maybe 2 of Finians scores came from play. I think if the goal we had disallowed was allowed we would of went on to win the game, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Great pitch in the Naul but it is a wind tunnel at times.

Best of luck to Finians in the rest of the tournament.

LOL.. yeah I'm glad I didn't have to pay in ;) ... bit disappointing for yer lads, was sure there was a bigger performance in yiz than that - that wind is a curse - same in Ravens for Maurs/Raheny match, Maurs did well to get anything from it in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A few of ye might enjoy this lads, an interview we did with Anton O'Toole a few days ago. A lot of stuff about the battles with Kerry during the '70s, and some stuff about the current Dubs team.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-legends/livegaelic-legends-anton-otoole/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Typical Dub, rotten to the core!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

airneal wrote: »
    Typical Dub, rotten to the core!

No, Jimmy's a wee lad from Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Lads,

Ive 2 Hogan Stand tickets for the Leinster double-header.

Let me know if you re interested by pm

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Great team announced no words on subs though wonder if eoghan o gara is on the bench

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Great team announced no words on subs though wonder if eoghan o gara is on the bench

Hopefully he is. There's a little bit of something different for defenders when he plays. Haven't seen the team yet myself

Hopefully he is. There's a little bit of something different for defenders when he plays. Haven't seen the team yet myself

942330_470985932984434_35798193_n.jpg

there you go:)

This is a more a bump than anything else. I watched the game on RTE Player yesterday and have to smile at RTE's attempt (Clare McNamara) to crank up their old chestnut of the hype machine. 4 days on and in a forum that's renowned for a fair clatter of daily postings in GAA, this is the 1st after match post.

My overall impression was they made it a lot easier game than most had predicted, personally I thought 7-10 points was a fair spread, in truth it could've been any score really, playing occasionally in 4th gear but generally being content to operate in a lower gear once they had put some distance between them.

I suppose in some sense it's pointless looking at the negative aspects of Dublin's performance in the overall context of the game as it played out, but just looking at Westmeath's 1st attack - Glennon I think ran 40 yards through the Dublin defence without a tackle going in, now you can allow a little settling in period at the start of the game - but the bigger boys will tell you there's no rule about yer 1st score not being a goal in the 1st minute - just ask the Gooch in 2009 ! The only other criticisms would be McCaffreys defending at times, which luckily is mitigated by his exceptional pace. There was some poor shooting at times, BB and Connolly being the biggest culprits. The only other concern I'd have, and it's not a criticism is the role played by MDM. That lad is the driving force behind most of what is good about the Dublin football team at the moment - the size and quality of the panel means that most positions are covered adequately, but I'd seriously question the teams ability to operate at the levels required without his influence.

The pluses from Saturday - the pace, variety and range of the attack is utterly bewildering at times. McCarthy made a run 1st half and from the comfort of my seat in Cusack 305 he was literally flying, mesmerising pace. I think that one of the huge benefits of the profile of GAA in Dublin now, is that they're attracting the supremely gifted athletes in addition to good footballers. Paddy Andrews had a far greater impact on this game than his return of 1-3, he is a hugely significant cog this year. Paul Mannion's handling is exceptional, nearly every ball of varying height and pace stuck last Saturday, of course he'll have some sterner tests from the wizened defenders hopefully later in the year. Paul Flynn continues to show why to my mind he's the best half forward (and top 5 footballers) in the country. His foot passing is a joy to watch, and all that's good about Dublin football is personified in the play of Flynner.

So onto Kildare now, a match that will bring a whole different challenge, both in terms of the match ups onfield and a great vocal support. The league match while being a fair reflection of the respective performances on the day belies the abilities that Kildare have. If McGeeney has learned anything from the league it will be brought about in 4 weeks. Interestingly and it probably sums McGeeney to a tee, when he came out to watch the Dublin match from under the Cusack stand, he could've walked around the wide open spaces of the Davin, but chose instead to amble across in front of The Hill to a bit of jeering and derision. If he plans on meeting the Dublin team head on in the same fashion I personally feel the writing is on the wall for another repeat of the league encounter. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lads,

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on how Eugene Keating is getting on playing for Sylvesters? I'd imagine it's only league football in Dublin at the minute but would be interesting to hear if anyone had seen him play or even followed Sylvesters on here.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Lads,

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on how Eugene Keating is getting on playing for Sylvesters? I'd imagine it's only league football in Dublin at the minute but would be interesting to hear if anyone had seen him play or even followed Sylvesters on here.

Haven't heard much Lemlin, nor have I seen Syls this year as yet. The local paper made a bit of news out of Keating & Declan Rooney from Down joining this year. I know he played in their opening SFC against Clontarf down in Trinity Gaels pitch, think he came on as a sub and scored a goal, he'll be a fine addition to their team though as they look to establish a higher profile in Div 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Haven't heard much Lemlin, nor have I seen Syls this year as yet. The local paper made a bit of news out of Keating & Declan Rooney from Down joining this year. I know he played in their opening SFC against Clontarf down in Trinity Gaels pitch, think he came on as a sub and scored a goal, he'll be a fine addition to their team though as they look to establish a higher profile in Div 1.

Syls seem to be taking a leaf out of Parnells book of Recruitment.

Does anyone know what the story with eoghan o gara he was on the subs list for the westmeth match but was changed last minute anyone know the reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Preview on the hurling tomorrow evening here if anyone wants a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/leinster-hurling-championship-preview-wexford-vs-dublin/

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story with eoghan o gara he was on the subs list for the westmeth match but was changed last minute anyone know the reason?
    i didn't know he was not a sub, i was wondering why he never came on though, with such little playing time under his belt and the match being over with 15 minutes to i thought it would have been a good run around for him, Carthy too I thought w'd see him get some championship time.

Dublin in absolute disarray now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dublin in absolute disarray now.

Absolutely. Not a sign of a team out there, no form and no structure. Very disappointing to see.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Very poor display, terrible miss after terrible miss, did ok to fight back to get the draw, but considering Wexofrd were terrible too it was a shocker.

Ref kept Wexford in it with the two yellows rather than reds in either half, but that's no excuse, they were still there was the beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The replay is next weekend in Croker? Parnell Park, 7pm on Saturday the 15th.

The replay is next weekend in Croker?

Wexford manager complaining game won't be held in Croke Park. You can't win. Complain when we play in Croker, complain when we play in Parnell Park.

Daly simply has to address the ball winning ability in the forwards. I've never seen forwards so completely physically dominated. Mick Carton deserved his MOTM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Wexford manager complaining game won't be held in Croke Park. You can't win. Complain when we play in Croker, complain when we play in Parnell Park.

Daly simply has to address the ball winning ability in the forwards. I've never seen forwards so completely physically dominated. Mick Carton deserved his MOTM.

They are lucky the game isn't on in the Phoenix Park, after that ****e.

Advertisement