Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

corny wrote: »
    Wexford manager complaining game won't be held in Croke Park. You can't win. Complain when we play in Croker, complain when we play in Parnell Park.

Daly simply has to address the ball winning ability in the forwards. I've never seen forwards so completely physically dominated. Mick Carton deserved his MOTM.

Putting Keaney into the half forward line would be a start, that way you can put Rushe in his best position. That alone gives another ball winner in the forwards, and crucially one that can use the ball effectively when he gets possession.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Wexford manager complaining game won't be held in Croke Park. You can't win. Complain when we play in Croker, complain when we play in Parnell Park.

Daly simply has to address the ball winning ability in the forwards. I've never seen forwards so completely physically dominated. Mick Carton deserved his MOTM.

Yeah, if in Croker usually suspects would be on saying it was unfair, it's in Parnell and opposition manager is upset that its unfair, putting Wexford down and they haven't had a chance since 07 to play there and hopefully bigwigs will give them a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

copacetic wrote: »
    Yeah, if in Croker usually suspects would be on saying it was unfair, it's in Parnell and opposition manager is upset that its unfair, putting Wexford down and they haven't had a chance since 07 to play there and hopefully bigwigs will give them a chance.
    Its liam Dunne, if it was announced for croke park, that's what he'd be complaining about. Don't know if he has done an interview since taking over where he wasn't moaning about something irrelevant to his job.
    all in all I thought it was woeful but wexford missed their opportunity. The kids in the stand could tell you the positional switches Daly needs to make, but he seems to lack faith in his team to grab the game from the front and play an attacking, aggressive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Dublin hurling seems to be going backwards over the last year or so. Maybe Daly has taken us as far as he can. A lot of players seem to be walking away, like McCrabbe and Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Croke Park argument obviously isn't applied to the hurlers seeing as they play Championship matches away from home.

I had sort of guessed there was a cohort of Dublin fans who were completely missing the point re:Croke Park, it seems we have confirmation.

• Advertisement

Its liam Dunne, if it was announced for croke park, that's what he'd be complaining about. Don't know if he has done an interview since taking over where he wasn't moaning about something irrelevant to his job.
    all in all I thought it was woeful but wexford missed their opportunity. The kids in the stand could tell you the positional switches Daly needs to make, but he seems to lack faith in his team to grab the game from the front and play an attacking, aggressive game.

Croke Park would suit Wexford as there would be zero atmosphere and home-field advantage would be a non-runner for Dublin. It wouldn't have the atmosphere of a challenge match imo if held in Croke Park.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Croke Park would suit Wexford as there would be zero atmosphere and home-field advantage would be a non-runner for Dublin. It wouldn't have the atmosphere of a challenge match imo if held in Croke Park.

Possibly true but he just seems to expend a lot of energy on extraneous stuff like this instead of focusing on what he can control and the job at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

keane2097 wrote: »
    The Croke Park argument obviously isn't applied to the hurlers seeing as they play Championship matches away from home.

I had sort of guessed there was a cohort of Dublin fans who were completely missing the point re:Croke Park, it seems we have confirmation.

The Dubs get put into Croke Park because it makes economic and promotional sense a lot of the time. The Dub hurlers don't play in Croke Park as often because it doesn't make economic or promotional sense.

I don't see any issue with that. Liam Dunne strikes me as a man who'd argue with himself if there was nobody else in the room to argue with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

DunedinOg wrote: »
    The Dubs get put into Croke Park because it makes economic and promotional sense a lot of the time. The Dub hurlers don't play in Croke Park as often because it doesn't make economic or promotional sense.

I don't see any issue with that. Liam Dunne strikes me as a man who'd argue with himself if there was nobody else in the room to argue with.

Exactly. Most Dubs fans ar in favour of playing outside Croker. Unless the draw throughs up a Dublin v Meath or Kildare game, the quarter-finals should all be outside Croker. A semi-final double bill in Croker still makes sense alright, but there'd even be more interest in that if none of the quarters took place in Croker.

Croke Park would have been a ridiculous choice for the Dub-Wex hurling replay. 7,000 or 8,000 will result in a near packed Parnell Park and should make for a good occasion and atmosphere.

Liam Dunne is a prat.
    Hear him going on about Lee Chin earlier in the week - "He could be a great hurler, but he'll only ever be an average footballer".

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Croke Park would have been a ridiculous choice for the Dub-Wex hurling replay. 7,000 or 8,000 will result in a near packed Parnell Park and should make for a good occasion and atmosphere.

Agreed. I can't wait for the game now. Should be a cracker in Parnell Pk, especially if the sun shines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dublin hurling seems to be going backwards over the last year or so. Maybe Daly has taken us as far as he can. A lot of players seem to be walking away, like McCrabbe and Brady.

As if further evidence of this decline is needed, a very disappointing result for the U21's v Carlow in Parnell last night. It seems as tho we've had our moment in the sun regards hurling. Best of luck to Carlow

DoctaDee wrote: »
    As if further evidence of this decline is needed, a very disappointing result for the U21's v Carlow in Parnell last night. It seems as tho we've had our moment in the sun regards hurling. Best of luck to Carlow
    Kneejerk alert

Shalamov wrote: »
    Kneejerk alert

Seriously ? ... why stick your head in the sand .. a team that appeared in 3 of the last 4 Leinster Finals and an AI in 2011 have gone out of the Leinster Championship in the last 2 years to Laois and Carlow and it's a knee jerk. I'm all for keeping the blue flag flying but a strong dose of realism is required..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I have to agree, the talent has dried up, or gone to play football. We still have some really good underage hurlers, but they are not getting a chance at senior grade or are not good enough yet.

I don't think you can say the talent has dried up. Ciaran Kilkenny is probably the most talented U21 in the country and didn't burn a ball last night.

As someone said on twitter last night, the price of progress is painting a bullseye on your back. That, along with perhaps a problem with looking beyond opponents as a result of trying to be more concerned with teams a level up, is probably a lot more to blame than any lack of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

or as said football is winning the race again since the win in 2011, remember the talk in 2010 about Dublin being being considered as a hurling county? that was 3 years ago but looking at the squads now, Dublin is once again very much a football county IMHO.

The U21s lost in the first round of Leinster as well though. There is no need for anyone to be sounding death knells, a talented and well fancied team took their eye off the ball and were beaten by a fired up underdog, happens all the time.

The U21s lost in the first round of Leinster as well though. There is no need for anyone to be sounding death knells, a talented and well fancied team took their eye off the ball and were beaten by a fired up underdog, happens all the time.

Its not about this loss, its about our senior team. We have had the exact same team for the last 3-4 years. Only two players have come in with Danny and Dillon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I don't think football is the only reason for the stop in progression.
    Hurling at club level is quite poor in my opinion.I thought the club championship last year was dire. Looking at it, you would hardly think we are even a county at the bottom half of top tier teams at intercounty level.

Last night was an eye opener.Any Dublin hurling team aspiring for great things should take every opposition seriously.We do not have the tradition of Kilkenny,Tipp or Cork.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Its not about this loss, its about our senior team. We have had the exact same team for the last 3-4 years. Only two players have come in with Danny and Dillon.

It was the same for the football team from for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Similar to the hurlers, there were a load of very talented youngsters who weren't quite ready for the step up, but a lot of them have all of a sudden burst onto the scene this year. There's a world of talent coming through, don't be so impatient!

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    Last night was an eye opener.Any Dublin hurling team aspiring for great things should take every opposition seriously.We do not have the tradition of Kilkenny,Tipp or Cork.

Yeah that's pretty much the lesson to take from the loss the other night, and the loss to Laois last year.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Seriously ? ... why stick your head in the sand .. a team that appeared in 3 of the last 4 Leinster Finals and an AI in 2011 have gone out of the Leinster Championship in the last 2 years to Laois and Carlow and it's a knee jerk. I'm all for keeping the blue flag flying but a strong dose of realism is required..

I just think that to basically say that all is lost is being unnecessarily negative. We had a solid league this year, and stood tall against Limerick when we were up against it in the 1B final, with little or no support on the day. Look at Limerick now and what they've done to Tipp. Last year was a disappointment, but if anything I feel 2011 was an overachievement - we're on the right track.

One thing I would worry about, as another poster mentioned, is the lack of young lads coming through. Look at the county final this year, Cuala v Kilmacud, and not many lads at all from the two clubs are on the Dublin senior team at the moment. You'd have to wonder whether politics are involved. Seems to me that we don't know what our best XV is.

Overall though, I think Dublin hurling is in good shape. We're back in 1A, and we have the championship ahead of us.

Personally speaking I think it's safe to assume that an uneasy relationship exists between the 2 codes in Dublin, at a player, resource and image marketing level. A rising tide doesn't necessarily lift all boats, and those concerned with the perceived poor relation of hurling have strived to bridge the gap through the FODH initiative. To the point in fact that hurling fans to my mind would be a closer supporting unit than football. This to some extent is because of the number of away days the hurlers have and the group travel laid on by FODH.

I wouldn't be a hurling supporter per se, but being a Dublin fan I've attended standalone Leinster Finals and would always get in early to see them in a double header and in fairness gave me as much to cheer about in their run to the NHL title as the footballers did during the league campaign. From what I've seen in Croker - the Dublin hurling fan in some respects can be exclusively that, I've seen whole rows in the Cusack empty after a hurling match with no interest in watching the football.

It was the same for the football team from for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Similar to the hurlers, there were a load of very talented youngsters who weren't quite ready for the step up, but a lot of them have all of a sudden burst onto the scene this year. There's a world of talent coming through, don't be so impatient!

That is rubbish, the football team was loaded with talent. Prime example Andrews not playing. For underage players everyone knew the lads that broke through would except for probably Mannion who was a bit early for him, but impressed with Crokes in the Championship.
    They didnt all of a sudden burst on the scene, they had been performing at underage level, unlike the current Hurling panel.

You cannot highlight anyone on the hurling U21s, like the young lads playing football. There are three fantastic hurlers on the U21s in Kilkenny Costello and Sutcliffe.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    That is rubbish, the football team was loaded with talent. Prime example Andrews not playing. For underage players everyone knew the lads that broke through would except for probably Mannion who was a bit early for him, but impressed with Crokes in the Championship.
    They didnt all of a sudden burst on the scene, they had been performing at underage level, unlike the current Hurling panel.

You cannot highlight anyone on the hurling U21s, like the young lads playing football. There are three fantastic hurlers on the U21s in Kilkenny Costello and Sutcliffe.
    And two of them probably won't stay with it. Alarm bells need to be ringing for Dublin hurling. If they aren't, that's a much bigger problem than the losses at u 21 that should be setting them off. Kilkenny implemented major changes at underage over much less serious stuff than this, and it paid off in the last decade. But it was because they saw the writing on the wall, and accepted results don't lie. Unless Dublin wants to go back to losing to westmeath, then renewed efforts are needed, just to stand still at senior level.

Regarding the hurling tomorrow,

can someone help a country bumpkin, does the 123 go near Parnell Park, or is it 122?
    Is the ground viewable from the bus, i.e is it obvious which stop to get off at?
    Cheers in advance.

can someone help a country bumpkin, does the 123 go near Parnell Park, or is it 122?
    Is the ground viewable from the bus, i.e is it obvious which stop to get off at?
    Cheers in advance.

I'm not sure but I dont think either go to Parnell park, I could be and probably wrong.

The ground is not viewable, but Donnycarney church is, and the stadium is tucked in behind the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Cheers in advance.

The 123 stops on Griffith Ave. You'll have to go out onto the Malahide road and walk up the hill towards Parnell Pk. Should only take 10 mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The 123 stops on Griffith Ave. You'll have to go out onto the Malahide road and walk up the hill towards Parnell Pk. Should only take 10 mins or so.
    Or you could get any of the buses from Malahide Rd right down to Parnell Pk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Is the match being streamed on RTE tonight or anything?

Is the match being streamed on RTE tonight or anything?

AFAIK Wicklow V Meath is live on RTE 2, so unless there's highlights of the hurling but I doubt it, probably only on Sunday Game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Cheers in advance.

This is the stop outside Donneycarney Church from town

http://dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=4382

And for getting back into town

http://dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=664

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Was hoping to go to the game this evening. Will I be able to pay cash or is it all ticket?

Was hoping to go to the game this evening. Will I be able to pay cash or is it all ticket?

I tries centra for tickets this morning but they didn't have any, ticketmaster selling nothing for this game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I tries centra for tickets this morning but they didn't have any, ticketmaster selling nothing for this game

Will it be possible to pay in at the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

Will it be possible to pay in at the gate?

Ticket van outside Parnell park

Ticket van outside Parnell park

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

http://whatsthescore.ie/live/view/1094

Going to try to use this site for the scores

@dubmatchtracker and @dublinhurling will be better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

@dubmatchtracker and @dublinhurling will be better...

Just trying for the craic. I'm doing the updates but I'm missing half the play typing.

Good to get the wiin anyway, even if performance wasn't much better than last week.
    Difference was probably one of the two deserved first red cards required was actually given and only one not given, unlike last week when neither hit to head or pull on hand were given. Wexford should really have learned from getting away with it one week, rather than repeating very similar fouls and only getting away with the pull on the hand this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I thought it was a much improved performance. There was a much greater intensity to Dublin from the off. The execution did let us down at times but i was happy we at least left the 'constipated hurling' in Wexford Park.

Keaney, Rushe, Sutcliffe and the two midfielders did well.

I didn't see the sending off incident but the Wexford lads were an indisciplined shower.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wexford should really have learned from getting away with it one week, rather than repeating very similar fouls and only getting away with the pull on the hand this week.

I didn't see the sending off incident but the Wexford lads were an indisciplined shower.

As poor as Wexford were and Dublin fully deserved the win, ye would want to look at yourselves whilst up on that high horse of yours. Some quotes on another Dublin based forum, by Dublin people. As I saw the same incident I felt I would be accused of bias had I mentioned the incident, so I'll leave your own countymens comments to see what you think.
    Lads the dirtiest incident of the match was by a Dublin player and was the reason shore lashed out and got deservedly sent off!!! But he was on the receiving end of one most dangerous acts I have ever seen on a hurling pitch moments earlier.... If this was rugby the Dublin player would of be cited and get a lengthy ban
    Dublin player broke his hurl and was left holding the handle of the hurl with a sharp splintered end!! He had his arm his arms wrapped around shore and jabbed the splintered end of the stick towards shores face numerous times!! Shore got his hand in the way and the splintered end cut his hand and he went down moments later shore was sent off!! Retaliation on his part but he hit the wrong player
    Was disgusted watching it. Nothing more then a tramp,

there was also Eoin Moore being repeatedly punched in the head whilst being pinned to the ground, but sure it was only Wexford who are the bad bunch.

I didn't see that at the time, but they highlighted it on the Sunday Game, it was out of order and should have been a red, but it clearly wasn't as described above. No-one went for anyones face and he didn't block it with his hand either.

As also highlighted on Sunday Game, Wexford should have had at least 3 red cards, probably more. You seldom see two independent analysts as disgusted as they were tonight, not sure I've ever seen them quite so firm on the behaviour of a team. Which says it all, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Wonderful sermon from Michael Duignan

LbHIadR.jpg

It was woeful last night, and one Dublin player losing the head is not an excuse for 6-7 Wexford players pulling on anything.
    Imo this was premeditated and from the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Those Wexford players were a disgrace. How the others were only yellow cards i'll never know.
    On another day/another ref, Wexford could have finished that game with 10 men, with Dublin on 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Referee gave early red card and knew then that if he gave another against Wexford the game was over. I was at the game and while there was a certain amount of fouling what Wexford should be concerned about was their general lack of skill. There was no issue with the pitch, weather but we saw senior players taking three attempts to life the ball when not under pressure and then clearing it 25/30 yards, hitting balls into open space and away from their own man. Wexford have a lot to do to come back to their 1996 standard

Really enjoyed the game the other night even if it did struggle to really get going. Great to see Parnell Park so full. It just made me realise how much I'd love to see both the footballers and the hurlers play their league games there again, it can be a great venue at times.

In terms of the game I wasn't too impressed with our performance. I felt last week that a draw was probably the best result for us, another championship game and a second chance to get off to a good start, but even with the early red card we never really dominated like we should have. Can't see us doing much against Kilkenny the next day out but you never know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement