Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

bruschi wrote: »
    As poor as Wexford were and Dublin fully deserved the win, ye would want to look at yourselves whilst up on that high horse of yours.

Did i miss something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

corny wrote: »
    Did i miss something?

maybe so. A wexford player being repeatedly stabbed with a broken hurl and another being punched 3 or 4 times after his helmet was ripped off. But Wexford were the indiciplined shower. those in glass houses and all that. anyway, its moved on. The CCCC are investigating it from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

maybe so. A wexford player being repeatedly stabbed with a broken hurl and another being punched 3 or 4 times after his helmet was ripped off. But Wexford were the indiciplined shower. those in glass houses and all that. anyway, its moved on. The CCCC are investigating it from here.

bruschi did you read the Irish times yesterday?

Stoner wrote: »
    bruschi did you read the Irish times yesterday?

I did yeah. why?

There was a report on the match backing up much that has been said here. There is a photograph of a Wexford player pulling (or ripping) a dublin players helmet off. I'm sure that both teams lacked discipline at certain stages in the game, but the general opinion in the article was that this was Wexfords game plan continued on from the last day, it also mentioned that a second red for a Wexford player would have finished the game as a contest and that the Wexford team possibly played on this.

I did see the broken stick being used against a Wexford player, 5 of the starting 6 defenders from Wexford had yellow cards.

There was a report on the match backing up much that has been said here. There is a photograph of a Wexford player pulling (or ripping) a dublin players helmet off. I'm sure that both teams lacked discipline at certain stages in the game, but the general opinion in the article was that this was Wexfords game plan continued on from the last day, it also mentioned that a second red for a Wexford player would have finished the game as a contest and that the Wexford team possibly played on this.

I did see the broken stick being used against a Wexford player, 5 of the starting 6 defenders from Wexford had yellow cards.

apart from anything, I cant reply to Irish times journalists here, only people who have posted so I'm not sure as to what relevance that has. and my point being that it seems very ironic to be going on about our lack of indicpline, which I already acknowledged, considering what Dublin players had done. I thought what McCormack did was absolutely disgraceful to be honest, and I'd say the same about any player who got a broken hurl and kept jabbing it into someones midrift.

Just on a point you raised there which I found quite funny, the picture you speak of with the headline of the Wexford player Kehoe pulling off Sutcliffes helmet -
    image.jpg

but yet neither you, nor the Times mention Sutcliffe who has already pulled off the helmet off Bobby Kenny and has him in a headlock, which is what Kehoe is reacting to. Why not show the incident 5 seconds before this and you wouldnt have Kehoe in it and it would be Sutcliffe ripping the helmet off? Kenny wasnt the only player to have his helmet ripped off, in the Shore red card incident, you can see Eoin Moores helmet ripped off and he then being punched in the face as he was pinned down.

None of this is to excuse Wexford in any shape or form. I was disgusted at their actions. But I dont get this portrayal that Dublin 'didnt react' or that it was all one way traffic. The moral high ground that Dublin seem to be on I dont personally see.

and my point being that it seems very ironic to be going on about our lack of indicpline, which I already acknowledged

I agree that is ironic.

I have not gone down the road of naming any players, I stayed away form words like "ripping" and "stabbed"
    I referenced an article that seems to back up an opinion that the Wexford team entered into this game with a plan to get physical with Dublin. I didn't work, they got it back and had no plan B.
    The Dublin Team's discipline was measured relative to that of the Wexford Team's, neither was great.

You are the one who brought up helmets being ripped off by Dublin players, I didn't contradict you just directed you to a photograph of a Wexford player doing the same thing.

I haven't been on any moral high horse, there were a couple of little comments here and there in the thread but nothing to suggest that all the Dublin supporters here are all on a "moral high horse". I also said I saw a Dublin player using the broken stick

With respect to why I referenced the Irish Times and what its relevance is, I was offering it as another opinion with a photograph, if you think it is not relevant then why did you then post up the same picture and talk about it to back up your point?

If you want to talk about "Some quotes on another Dublin based forum, by Dublin people" then I can reference the Irish Times. We have no idea what has been said on these other forums, if you have an issue with users on other forums they can't be addressed here, like you said here we can respond "to only people who have posted"

I understand that the comment about Wexford being an undisciplined shower upset you, it would upset me too if it was said about my county.

I agree that is ironic.

I have not gone down the road of naming any players, I stayed away form words like "ripping" and "stabbed"
    I referenced an article that seems to back up an opinion that the Wexford team entered into this game with a plan to get physical with Dublin. I didn't work, they got it back and had no plan B.
    The Dublin Team's discipline was measured relative to that of the Wexford Team's, neither was great.

You are the one who brought up helmets being ripped off by Dublin players, I didn't contradict you just directed you to a photograph of a Wexford player doing the same thing.

I haven't been on any moral high horse, there were a couple of little comments here and there in the thread but nothing to suggest that all the Dublin supporters here are all on a "moral high horse". I also said I saw a Dublin player using the broken stick

With respect to why I referenced the Irish Times and what its relevance is, I was offering it as another opinion with a photograph, if you think it is not relevant then why did you then post up the same picture and talk about it to back up your point?

If you want to talk about "Some quotes on another Dublin based forum, by Dublin people" then I can reference the Irish Times. We have no idea what has been said on these other forums, if you have an issue with users on other forums they can't be addressed here, like you said here we can respond "to only people who have posted"

I understand that the comment about Wexford being an undisciplined shower upset you, it would upset me too if it was said about my county.

all fair comments.

never refferred to you on a moral high horse, just other comments and media driven agendas. I only referred to the picture as the article was brought up by yourself, but again, and article referring to Wexfords 'indicipline' and a photo illustrating same, completely ignores the Dublin indicipline in the same picture. and the only reason I mentioned other comments on a different forum was to highlight it was not tittle tattle from a Wexford perspective, which is what I would have been accused of had I made the same comments. It was not so much the comments of being an undiciplined shower, it was more in the context that it was not all Wexford who were undiciplined in that game. Another stat to throw into the equation was Wexford conceded 10 frees, Dublin conceded 20.

anyway, like I said, anything from here on is in the hands of the CCCC. I'd expect Shore to get 3 months for his wild pull, sun or no sun, you cant swing like that. Sinnott should get the same, but this ridiculous rule of getting punished on the field of play with a yellow makes you exempt. McCormack should get at least 3 months too for what he did.

I don't think i deserved you accusing me of taking a moral high ground though. Like i said i didn't see the sending off incident and when i commented i hadn't seen the Sunday Game or read a paper. I based my view on being at the game and noticing most of the flash points were caused by overt aggression from the Wexford lads. Not an unfair comment.

In summary, i was ignorant of the behaviour of some of the Dublin lads but i certainly wasn't guilty of double standards. TBF I think you had the 'media driven agenda' in mind when you quoted me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Hi,

just wondering for the Dublin vs Kilkenny replay, is Portlaoise Railway Station much of a walk from O'Moore Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Clashmore

10-15 minutes max, and its a pretty straight run once you leave the train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    Hi,

just wondering for the Dublin vs Kilkenny replay, is Portlaoise Railway Station much of a walk from O'Moore Park?

No walk out through the car park turn left up to the roundabout go straight through that one and the next one and the ground is down there on the left about 15 minutes walk.

thanks, about 15 - 20 mins walk is ok. Only went to Portlaoise by car for matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not much opinions on the upcoming games this weekend ?

I do enjoy reading this thread/forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Got tickets for the Lower Cusack.
    Missed a few games this year for various reasons, namely weddings!

Weather is meant to be fine for Sunday too. I dont expect a full house but probably around the 50-60k to turn up. Too generous?

Fully expect Dublin to win by 10 points or more. I lot will depend on Bernard Brogan, he seems to be making the wrong choices a lot lately. He's far too greedy for my liking, and more often than not he's going for the hard scores rather than recycling the ball and waiting for the right moment. That will cost us against the Donegals and Mayos later on in the year.

When is the team due to be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

People need to understand that Kildare have this game pinned as their cup final of the year - they'll not roll over. Wrong attitude will see us struggle and although i'd still expect a Dubs win, do not take them lightly. Will give a good indication of how far along we are for hopefully a long summer. Would like to see us put these away with a little style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Regarding the hurling replay I hope Dublin back up their performance from last week and give them some momentum. Just think Kilkenny will be a different animal from last week and will win.

Regarding the football I reckon we'll win comfortably in the end. It'll be tight for a while but with the scoring forwards we have and the bench to bring on I reckon it'll be a 8-10 point win.

Regardless busy weekend for us Dubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Regarding the hurling replay I hope Dublin back up their performance from last week and give them some momentum. Just think Kilkenny will be a different animal from last week and will win.
    Regarding the football I reckon we'll win comfortably in the end. It'll be tight for a while but with the scoring forwards we have and the bench to bring on I reckon it'll be a 8-10 point win.
    Regardless busy weekend for us Dubs :D

I would say Kilkenny will best the Dubs because you only ever get one crack at Kilkenny . I would hope the Dubs can put up a spirited performance and be able to take positives from the game .
    I can see us beating Kildare but the thing is I can't see us blitzing I can see them giving us a big game . I just hope Bernard Brogan doesn't try and show off too much because some of the hollywood points he tried to score could be the difference between winning and loosing .

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

lads can i ask a question.

Has Alan Mc Crabbe retired from inter county hurling or has he picked up an injury of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Hslaw wrote: »
    lads can i ask a question.

Has Alan Mc Crabbe retired from inter county hurling or has he picked up an injury of some sort

He left the panel of his own will.

• Advertisement

. I just hope Bernard Brogan doesn't try and show off too much because some of the hollywood points he tried to score could be the difference between winning and loosing .

I generally agree, however I think he has been working on his goal shot selection. Three years ago he had a habit of hitting the ball directly at the keeper, not so much now.

There was a stage in the Westmeath game when he had the ball, never looked like passing, he just seemed to not fit in with how the other five forwards were playing, he looked like he was shaping up for a difficult attempt at a point, but then in two steps he was inside two men and in on goal.
    Possibly not a bad thing to have one ruthless forward from Six.

Really looking forward to both games on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Rochey18 wrote: »
    He left the panel of his own will.

cheers man nice one.

pity really he was a fantastic hurler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

There was a stage in the Westmeath game when he had the ball, never looked like passing, he just seemed to not fit in with how the other five forwards were playing, he looked like he was shaping up for a difficult attempt at a point, but then in two steps he was inside two men and in on goal. Possibly not a bad thing to have one ruthless forward from Six.

Yeah that is a fair point about him , I did feel at times he was trying to go for the hollywood point when there was better options he could have took . I just hate to see that kind of play because I want to see the forwards working together to break down teams rather then just one forward going it along . I really hope Alan Brogan can get a few minutes on Sunday if he is fit enough because we really need him for later on in the championship .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Hslaw wrote: »
    cheers man nice one.

pity really he was a fantastic hurler
    Have to say I disagree, although he was good when he had the ball in space, he never seemed to work particularly hard without the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Anyone know of any pub in Dublin city/Dublin south that is streaming the hurling game today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Volvic12 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any pub in Dublin city/Dublin south that is streaming the hurling game today?

Revels Rathfarnham Village and Kielys Donnybrook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What happens when the rte stream goes down?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Revels Rathfarnham Village and Kielys Donnybrook.

Thanks for that. Appreciated!

Sorry to be a pain but do you know if anywhere in the city centre is showing it? People I'm meeting are in town. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Sorry to be a pain but do you know if anywhere in the city centre is showing it? People I'm meeting are in town. Thanks

Walked passed the Boars Head on Capel Street earlier. Said on the board outside that they were showing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Well done Dublin great day for hurling in general to see another team making the step up looking forward to playing ye in the leinster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

After so many years by beating by the Cats we brought them to their knees. However Galway won't be an easy game and I expect the same attitude to be shown from tonights performance against them.

Congratulations Dublin great win against all the odds tonight,hoping we make it a double by winning tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

realies wrote: »
    Congratulations Dublin great win against all the odds tonight,hoping we make it a double by winning tomorrow.

Congrats to Dublin...terrific...ye were just superb.Ye beat KK at their own game.Ye have in the U21 football and Hurlers have been involved in the wrong side of big suprises this year,but fair play ye were on the right side of the biggest shock of all tonight.
    Not many teams beat KK any time and certainly not in a replay.
    Well done to all.Superb display by all involved tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Well done Dublin a real shot in the arm to the hurling championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

WOW :)

A seminal day...hopefully.

But what a day. And a big shout out to every primary schoolteacher in Dublin over the last 30 years(my lifetime) who stayed back after school coaching, and also to every club coach...

It was a very long time coming but hopefully, just hopefully, a major psychological barrier was beaten away today...

To the entire Dublin hurling squad and backroom, THANK YOU. I never thought I'd see(hear) today and well done to all the Dub fans I could hear at the end...

I'm feeling blue tonight in the best possible way:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Congratulations to the Dublin hurlers on a magnificent performance tonight from all in Kilkenny,you deserved the win and were by far the better team,thought our lads looked old tonight but proud of the way they kept fighting to the end.Best of luck in Leinster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well done Dublin, a great result for Hurling. now its time for ye to press on and not waste this win.

I am glad I decided to go to Portlaoise by train to see the Dublin vs Kilkenny replay. It was a tough game and a great win for Dublin. I think about 1 09 from play for Dublin and only 4 pts from play for KK. It was unusual to see KK attacks being repelled time after time while Dublin took some great scores. We have a good Leinster final now and the KK vs Tipp qualifier to look forward to.

• Advertisement

Did the stream go down? What did the punters and the blokes think of the lack of a scoreboard on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Little bit emotional watching that gave yesterday, what a truly fantastic moment for Dublin hurling to conquer the cats. I know we haven't won anything really but to beat a team of that quality is a remarkable achievement.
    When Clare beat us lat year I felt maybe it was time for Daly to go. I was still a fan of him but just thought things had gone a bit stale and a fresh face might help things move on. Happy to admit I was wrong there.
    As for todays game I'm hoping the footballers can take a leaf out of the hurlers book. Gavin has made a great start but I thought we seemed a little too relaxed against Westmeath at times. We need to see that work ethic of 10/11 return if we want to challenge this year. Hopefully we see that today.
    Come on you boys in blue!

Great win today,Played great free flowing football especially in the second half.The only concern I would have is that, with no disrespect to the other leinster teams, that we are not being challenged enough,It might give us an air of invincibility to our own downfall.Anyway great win and really pleased the way were playing in both the hurling and the football,come on the Dubs.

Great attacking performance after a slow start. It really could have been 10-16 Dublin created that many goal scoring chances. The options they have is frightening.

I still have reservations over our defending though, both individually and as a collective. Several times during the match the Kildare runners from midfield dragged our defensive structure all over the place. The gaps they created would be easily exploited by a better team.

Individually, Daly gave his man far too much room on occasion and Jack McCaffrey for all his brilliance going forward is a poor defender. I got visions of the Donegal lads when he was swatted away for Kildares first point. O Carroll and Cooper were excellent though.

Long weekend. Hopefully first of two Leinster titles next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

corny wrote: »
    Great attacking performance after a slow start. It really could have been 10-16 Dublin created that many goal scoring chances. The options they have is frightening.

I still have reservations over our defending though, both individually and as a collective. Several times during the match the Kildare runners from midfield dragged our defensive structure all over the place. The gaps they created would be easily exploited by a better team.

Individually, Daly gave his man far too much room on occasion and Jack McCaffrey for all his brilliance going forward is a poor defender. I got visions of the Donegal lads when he was swatted away for Kildares first point. O Carroll and Cooper were excellent though.

Long weekend. Hopefully first of two Leinster titles next weekend.

You thought Jack was poor defensively yet thought Cooper was excellent? Cooper got roasted in the first half, and was at fault for the Kildare goal. Thought Jack defended well at times and was outstanding for us bringing the ball out of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Forgetting what happened on the pitch today.....

I was sitting in row f of the cusack stand. There were a number of elderly people men and women in front of us. The whole time i was there they were great. They cheered and followed every minute also kept me up to date with what was happening in the other games !.

They knew every player and knew the players coming on and off well before i did or it was announced. I talked to them threwout the game as well and really nice friendly down to earth people.

Compare this to two young ones i seen across from us who were all done up make up and sun glasses for the day. Never moved or made a noise the whole game.

They looked over at me and me da couple of times laughing. Where the vocal fans who cheer everything and get into it i dont believe in just sitting there!!.

Anyway it was a great day and i was delighted to be around some real long term fans no matter what age u are just goes to show Gaa has some great fans of all ages and its always nice to experience each and every game i go to.

• Advertisement

Not everyone roars their head off and knows all the players. That's the way it goes. Don't mind them being there though. Obviously they have an interest.

Neeson wrote: »
    Not everyone roars their head off and knows all the players. That's the way it goes. Don't mind them being there though. Obviously they have an interest.

Ya but why go if your gonna look at people getting into it ?. Sit at home ffs.

Thats the problem with alot of the Dublin Croke park matchs u get the summer fans out for the day who dont have a ****ing clue what there watching there just out for the weekend.

Ya but why go if your gonna look at people getting into it ?. Sit at home ffs.

Thats the problem with alot of the Dublin Croke park matchs u get the summer fans out for the day who dont have a ****ing clue what there watching there just out for the weekend.

They might enjoy being there. No harm in that. Can't we all just get along? They might not actually have been laughing AT you. Just admiring your enthusiasm.

Neeson wrote: »
    They might enjoy being there. No harm in that. Can't we all just get along? They might not actually have been laughing AT you. Just admiring your enthusiasm.

Ive no issue with how people act at games but i could tell they were pointing and laughing so to speak.

I couldnt give a crap weather they were or not but i do think why bother going ur only there because its an early match and anyone can get tickets.

Just there for the day out no idea whats going on with the teams any other day the week or year.

No harm in having a day out at a GAA match. Good to have people going. Who did they support?

• Advertisement
Advertisement