Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Neeson wrote: »
    No harm in having a day out at a GAA match. Good to have people going. Who did they support?

Dublin. And its normally the Dublin fans u notice doing this. Be no harm in a few away matchs for Dublin so to speak and this is coming from someone whos lived there all his life!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Neeson wrote: »
    They might enjoy being there. No harm in that. Can't we all just get along? They might not actually have been laughing AT you. Just admiring your enthusiasm.

It could be worse. I was in the Cusack and my wife and I had a complete idiot from Wexford behind us. A lad in his forties or fifties who really should have known better.

He roared throughout the entire first half looking for a reaction from other supporters. He seemed to be on his own but was sitting in front of a group of teenage Dublin supporters and annoying them by constantly trying to talk to them.

He was scaring the life out of my three year old son and a number of other kids but wouldn't shut up despite several people asking him too. One of the teenagers even said to him about scaring the kids and he took no notice. He was actually getting louder and more obnoxious the more people asked for him to calm it.

A few started shouting verbals at him but I think that's just what he wanted. A classic example of his stupidity was if someone said "come on ref", he'd start roaring what a great decision it was and clapping the ref. Plus he made the same quite animated hand movement for every wide Meath had shouting "that's wiiiiddddeere"!

We moved at half time and the steward said they were already aware of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lemlin wrote: »
    It could be worse. I was in the Cusack and my wife and I had a complete idiot from Wexford behind us. A lad in his forties or fifties who really should have known better.

He roared throughout the entire first half looking for a reaction from other supporters. He seemed to be on his own but was sitting in front of a group of teenage Dublin supporters and annoying them by constantly trying to talk to them.

He was scaring the life out of my three year old son and a number of other kids but wouldn't shut up despite several people asking him too. One of the teenagers even said to him about scaring the kids and he took no notice. He was actually getting louder and more obnoxious the more people asked for him to calm it.

A few started shouting verbals at him but I think that's just what he wanted. A classic example of his stupidity was if someone said "come on ref", he'd start roaring what a great decision it was and clapping the ref. Plus he made the same quite animated hand movement for every wide Meath had shouting "that's wiiiiddddeere"!

We moved at half time and the steward said they were already aware of him.

I seen similar in a game i think was last year and funny enough again it was a Wexford fan. Just it was more then one this time and the stewards got rid of them during the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I've a particular hate for these sort of freaks.

The borderline "im willing to go boxing with ya" bubbling beneath the surface is usually topped off with a county coloured crepe paper hat or/and headband tied around his wrist. They are almost always on their own and spend the whole match with one eye on an opposing supporter letting him know he's the one that he's really aiming his comments at.

Also, his attempts at feeding himself at half time resemble the eating habits of a wild animal from the African savanna plains.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dublin were just awesome today, the power,pace,pure athleticism was from another planet.
    Im a diehard Kildare fan,Kildare fans can blame who they like about today but jaysus Dublin were incredible today and will take some beating.
    Cant help being so envious of Dublin fans with such a massively strong squad of players.

Looking at those lads today in awe at times i couldnt help thinking what would they be like in a green jersey,if they were half decent they would terrify a lot of professional teams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Some weekend for Dublin fans! Especially delighted for Daly and the hurlers who put in trojan work in beating the cats.

Hope Dublin fans show up next Sunday for the Hurling final and I for one am eagerly anticipating it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Compare this to two young ones i seen across from us who were all done up make up and sun glasses for the day. Never moved or made a noise the whole game.

count yourself lucky it was a gaa game. Go to the Leinster and Munster rugby and those types are the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

realies wrote: »
    Great win today,Played great free flowing football especially in the second half.The only concern I would have is that, with no disrespect to the other leinster teams, that we are not being challenged enough,It might give us an air of invincibility to our own downfall.

Reminds me very much of the Pillar Caffrey days. But we will see later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

First half worried me, think we still kick too many 50/50s for my liking, thought kildare no 15 was a constant danger. Goal before half time seemed to kill it and second half was great.

Thought brogan seemed to be struggling first half. Great cameo from o gara and kev mac.

happy but fearful of potentially better teams, never bought into kildare as a serious contender

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Dublin were great today and Iv been impressed with how we have been so far but still think the team lacks a ruthless edge at times .

Also , I believe changes will need to be made if we want to win an All Ireland , cant see us beating Donegal with that 15 anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Holey Moley

Dubs not tested but answer all questions

Can do no more but defeat whats put in front of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dublin were great today and Iv been impressed with how we have been so far but still think the team lacks a ruthless edge at times .

Also , I believe changes will need to be made if we want to win an All Ireland , cant see us beating Donegal with that 15 anyways

Just wondering from what you've seen in both championship games and to a lesser extent the league, that you would question the ruthlessness of this team ? There was no indication yesterday after the crime scene tape was put up for the Kildare murder that they let up ?

Likewise the changes ? ... Gavin is on record as saying that those performing will be picked - I think all the lads that came on performed well against a tired and dispirited Kildare team, but you couldn't say that anyone of them was a game changing replacement. I'd be interested to know which players pose the problems. Ta

Dublin are much more attacking now than they were under Gilroy. Great to watch, But I wonder how it will go against Donegal or Mayo or even Kerry and Cork.

They do leave plenty of space in their defence and while they have been defending very well, they have been up against very little. Their full back line can be left a little isolated at times, i.e. for Brophys goal and a few more chances, also Glennon for Westmeath got plenty of chances. It would be interesting to see how the full back line would cope against a full forward line of Murphy, McFadden and McBrearty.
    Also the decent teams will not allow the Dublin wing backs acres to run into (Kildare were just short of lighting up a runway down the middle of their defence for them yesterday), and it will be interesting to see how Dublin go when their attacking pace is sucked up to a serious defensive system.

For me Donegal are still the favourites with Mayo and Dublin right up there. Really looking forward to the quarter finals and the serious business as up to now apart from a few games in Ulster, the provincial series has been awful.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Dublin are much more attacking now than they were under Gilroy. Great to watch, But I wonder how it will go against Donegal or Mayo or even Kerry and Cork.

They do leave plenty of space in their defence and while they have been defending very well, they have been up against very little. Their full back line can be left a little isolated at times, i.e. for Brophys goal and a few more chances, also Glennon for Westmeath got plenty of chances. It would be interesting to see how the full back line would cope against a full forward line of Murphy, McFadden and McBrearty.
    Also the decent teams will not allow the Dublin wing backs acres to run into (Kildare were just short of lighting up a runway down the middle of their defence for them yesterday), and it will be interesting to see how Dublin go when their attacking pace is sucked up to a serious defensive system.

For me Donegal are still the favourites with Mayo and Dublin right up there. Really looking forward to the quarter finals and the serious business as up to now apart from a few games in Ulster, the provincial series has been awful.

Yeah valid points there - but I suppose we won't know til we know. My own opinon would be that this Dublin team will cause more problems for the opposition than will be posed to them, they're stilll a work in progress , and defensively wouldn't be as tight as under Gilroy, but then again that's not to say they're not good defenders. It appears the guidng principle is to score more than the opposition rather than to concede less.

There's little doubt this is the best attacking unit we've seen in recent times, my concern for them as you've said above - is that unlike Kildare yesterday, Donegal or Mayo would get a run of points on them and close shop, for want of a better word employ anti football tactics - delaying, tactical fouling etc.

We've already seen how Dublin can be beaten and it surprises me that they seem to have gone from peoples perception of AI winners - Tyrone. With a fully fit panel they to my mind are the team to beat.

Doc knows Football :D
    DoctaDee wrote: »
    So onto Kildare now, a match that will bring a whole different challenge, both in terms of the match ups onfield and a great vocal support. The league match while being a fair reflection of the respective performances on the day belies the abilities that Kildare have. If McGeeney has learned anything from the league it will be brought about in 4 weeks. Interestingly and it probably sums McGeeney to a tee, when he came out to watch the Dublin match from under the Cusack stand, he could've walked around the wide open spaces of the Davin, but chose instead to amble across in front of The Hill to a bit of jeering and derision. If he plans on meeting the Dublin team head on in the same fashion I personally feel the writing is on the wall for another repeat of the league encounter. Cheers

Doc hasn't a fackin clue about hurling :o
    As if further evidence of this decline is needed, a very disappointing result for the U21's v Carlow in Parnell last night. It seems as tho we've had our moment in the sun regards hurling. Best of luck to Carlow

Oh congrats to the lad I met @ the halftime beerbreak yesterday who pulled €2,500 from a Meath/Monaghan/Trading Leather/Dublin (-4pts) accum - I was looking for ya @ fulltime :D

One thing surprised me yesterday was the amount of Dublin supporters who left early. We had planned to leave at 55 minutes in the Dublin Kildare game to beat the traffic but, when the goal went in around the 52nd minute, the game was definitely over so we made tracks.

I was shocked though by the amount of Dublin supporters we met also leaving and already outside the ground. Surely if you've paid €30 for a ticket, its worth waiting to see the full game. Particularly when your team are giving a close rival an annihilation like that.

One thing surprised me yesterday was the amount of Dublin supporters who left early. We had planned to leave at 55 minutes in the Dublin Kildare game to beat the traffic but, when the goal went in around the 52nd minute, the game was definitely over so we made tracks.

I was shocked though by the amount of Dublin supporters we met also leaving and already outside the ground. Surely if you've paid €30 for a ticket, its worth waiting to see the full game. Particularly when your team are giving a close rival an annihilation like that.

I suppose there's an element much like yourself Lemlin who wanted to beat the traffic also - there's those just a bus ride from home while others will have commuted from Wexford, Midlands and Louth etc ... Did ya like what ya saw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'm naturally a pessimistic sort but i really fear facing the likes of Donegal especially if they go ultra, ultra defensive (everyone bar McFadden behind the ball) from the outset. I can't see them not stopping the Dublin runners and crowding out our inside forwards tbh. And when they break out we'll concede.

Funnily enough i think we'll expose Cork and Kerry the way we're playing.

• Advertisement

Hard to blame em really. Match was a dead rubber in second half.
    Would Dublin really consider Kildare a close rival?
    I don't think Dublin fans expected much of a close game from Kildare and have their sights firmly fixed on other counties.

If they were doing that to Donegal, Mayo, Kerry or Cork I expect they would all stay on and enjoy alright.
    But not much pleasure in trouncing an opponent as hapless as Kildare were yesterday.

I suppose there's an element much like yourself Lemlin who wanted to beat the traffic also - there's those just a bus ride from home while others will have commuted from Wexford, Midlands and Louth etc ... Did ya like what ya saw ?

Never thought of that tbh. Probably some up from my own county also.

Very impressed. Had a great view of the Dublin forwards first half in the Cusack and even then I could tell they were some unit. As I've just pointed out over on the Kildare thread, it was fairly clear at half time that they were capable of running rampant and they did.

Dublin were severly over hyped in the noughties but these lads deserve the accolades. They were great to watch yesterday.

I still hope poor old Mayo win the All-Ireland though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

To me it seems to be a case of Jim Gavin deciding to play a high tempo and fast paced game so we can drag very organised defences out of place especially when you look at James Mc Carthy's shot that hit the post . The fact a wing back was willing to push so high up is a very rare sight . I wasn't at the game yesterday but when you hear from alot of people that the movement off the ball was a joy to watch . I wonder how some of the teams that employ the blanket defence will feel when they are being pulled all over the place by players who are willing to do unselfish runs . To me it will make games against the Ulster teams very interesting . To think we also have two teams worth of players so everybody in the panel knows if you have a bad game you will be dropped so that will make them play their hearts out .

That's a good point alright, we've never seen Donegal up against a team who are willing to go all out attack. Would they still set up with 14 behind the ball while leaving space for runners and Dublin forwards to exploit?

Most teams that go up against them either go with the traditional 6 man full forward line with their midfielders supporting or go defensively to counteract them.

Also what way is the semi finals set up this year? Is it Leinster vs Munster and Ulster vs Connacht?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

That's a good point alright, we've never seen Donegal up against a team who are willing to go all out attack. Would they still set up with 14 behind the ball while leaving space for runners and Dublin forwards to exploit?

Most teams that go up against them either go with the traditional 6 man full forward line with their midfielders supporting or go defensively to counteract them.

Also what way is the semi finals set up this year? Is it Leinster vs Munster and Ulster vs Connacht?

That is the semi final lineup and if the trend continues where provincial winners win their quarter final, it would probably shape up to be Dublin v Kerry/Cork and Mayo v Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Just wondering from what you've seen in both championship games and to a lesser extent the league, that you would question the ruthlessness of this team ? There was no indication yesterday after the crime scene tape was put up for the Kildare murder that they let up ?

Likewise the changes ? ... Gavin is on record as saying that those performing will be picked - I think all the lads that came on performed well against a tired and dispirited Kildare team, but you couldn't say that anyone of them was a game changing replacement. I'd be interested to know which players pose the problems. Ta

Well for an example in the second half Paul Mannion missed a free right in front of the posts, he did the same in the first half from a kind position. And then the missed goal chances should not be of such a high number , added to that several wides from easy angles.

Oh i do agree that at the moment Gavin should pick his best 15 by training, league form etc. However from the quaters we will face far more superior opposition and I would think a horses for courses menu would have to be adopted. As i said that 15 wont win an All Ireland as they wont get the better of Donegal.
    In fact if we were to play Donegal tomorrow this is the team I'd pick:
    1 Cluxton
    2 Darren Daly
    3 Rory O'Carroll
    4 Cian O'Sullivan(for me offers nothing more than Bastic and tigher marker than Cooper)
    5 James McCarthy
    6 Ger Brennan
    7 Jack McCaffrey
    8 MDMC
    9 Denis Bastic(brings a physical presence and allows MDMC to free roam
    10 Paul Flynn
    11 Alan Brogan(if he was fit)
    12 Brian Cullen
    13 Diarmuid Connolly
    14 Eoghan O'Gara
    15 Bernard Brogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

To me it seems to be a case of Jim Gavin deciding to play a high tempo and fast paced game so we can drag very organised defences out of place especially when you look at James Mc Carthy's shot that hit the post . The fact a wing back was willing to push so high up is a very rare sight . I wasn't at the game yesterday but when you hear from alot of people that the movement off the ball was a joy to watch . I wonder how some of the teams that employ the blanket defence will feel when they are being pulled all over the place by players who are willing to do unselfish runs .

Is that not a contradiction? 14 men behind the ball negates any space for runners to exploit, that's the whole raison d'etre of the Donegal gameplan, no?

Also, its not like wing backs and corner backs coming forward to score is anything new, or something Dublin have just invented - look at the likes of McGlynn for Donegal, Tomas O'Se for Kerry, Gareth Bradshaw for Galway, McCarthy himself for a couple of years now, etc etc...

This whole "Dublin can beat the blanket defence because we have wingbacks who can run at them" is a bit naive - the only ways to beat the blanket defence is to move the ball up the field when its turned over faster than the defenders can get back in position, or to be able to score at will from range - easier said than done. Wing backs or corner backs running at a defence gives the defence time to get back in position - no one can run as fast as the ball can be kicked. Donegal will lap it up all day if that's the tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Zzippy wrote: »
    This whole "Dublin can beat the blanket defence because we have wingbacks who can run at them" is a bit naive - the only ways to beat the blanket defence is to move the ball up the field when its turned over faster than the defenders can get back in position, or to be able to score at will from range - easier said than done. Wing backs or corner backs running at a defence gives the defence time to get back in position - no one can run as fast as the ball can be kicked. Donegal will lap it up all day if that's the tactic

Yes it is naive and to beat a blanket defence you need to have different aspects of your game in sync. I doubt very much that Jim will have his team thinking with that attitude regardless. We've all watched Donegal with an element of disgust and respect over the past 3 years - no offence to them but they are not too pleasing on the eye although extremely effective obviously - and i am sure the Dublin management team will be trying to devise a way past them one of which will be lightning fast wingbacks. It would be naive to suggest that the gameplan stops there ... of course, lets not forget there are other games to look forward to, i'd love to see Dublin v Mayo cos both sides would create a superb matchup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dublin are fully equipped to beat a blanket defence.

They can pass the ball long, can run into the tackle, can track back with extreme pace, and have added players who can kick their scores from far out.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Dublin are fully equipped to beat a blanket defence.

They can pass the ball long, can run into the tackle, can track back with extreme pace, and have added players who can kick their scores from far out.

Agree on most of that, but most of Dublin's scores seem to come from within 30m of goal. Paul Flynn about the only one who regularly scores from further out. Mayo excellent at taking long-range scores but not so good at the other aspects...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Agree on most of that, but most of Dublin's scores seem to come from within 30m of goal. Paul Flynn about the only one who regularly scores from further out. Mayo excellent at taking long-range scores but not so good at the other aspects...

I agree that at the minute they do seem to come from far out. But they are capable of taking their scores from far out if need, but currently their is no need to do that because the can run at defenders and the over lap pass is nearly always on.

• Advertisement

But thats the secret - Dublin can manoeuvre the ball inside the scoring zone without need for the long range points, off the top of my head I don't think there was anything scored from outside the 45 yesterday.

I don't see why the focus is on Dublin to beat Donegal .. surely McGuinness has to find a way to beat us, having failed to do so in the 3 meetings under his reign (that's a big assumption the results go right over the next 2 months) - and may explain his presence there yesterday. He tried the 14 men behind the ball and with Dublin down to 14 and still came up short. It would appear the onus is on them to be more attack minded.

Is that not a contradiction? 14 men behind the ball negates any space for runners to exploit, that's the whole raison d'etre of the Donegal gameplan, no?

I don't think I emphasized my point properly in the post I made .

I think this new way of Dublin playing is down to Gavin thinking we have to take the game to a team with a blanket defence . So in the Championship we need to learn how to the team attacking as a unit . That means all 14 men on the pitch will push foward and hope to cause alot of second guessing in a blanket defence . If you try and play us man to man you could end up being punished very heavily .

If you play like that against a blanket defence it could cause all sorts of problems for the blanket defence . They might find it hard going because if you look at Donegal they seem to try and crowd out attacks but if you have people making moves and dragging players around the pitch . This means they can't crowd out the player on the ball and it could expose a weakness in them . You two things in a team to try and expose a weakness in the blanket defence . You need a team who can run at high speed and be able to keep pressing from the first to the last minute of a game . You also need to be able to move the ball around the pitch very quickly aswell .

I wasn't at the game yesterday but everyone I talked to who was at it has all said the players we had out yesterday where very un-selfish and gave the ball to the player in the best position . This was also coupled with people making runs hoping to drag a player out of position so another player could exploit the gap . Thats how the likes of James Mc Carthy was able to push so high up yesterday .

But thats the secret - Dublin can manoeuvre the ball inside the scoring zone without need for the long range points, off the top of my head I don't think there was anything scored from outside the 45 yesterday.

I don't see why the focus is on Dublin to beat Donegal .. surely McGuinness has to find a way to beat us, having failed to do so in the 3 meetings under his reign (that's a big assumption the results go right over the next 2 months) - and may explain his presence there yesterday. He tried the 14 men behind the ball and with Dublin down to 14 and still came up short. It would appear the onus is on them to be more attack minded.

Donegal definitely came on a lot last year, and improved their scoring threat while still being very mean with conceding scores. If you remember the semi in 2011, Dublin only scored 8 points.
    I'm not saying Gavin's gameplan won't open up Donegal, I'm just wary of fans getting over-enthusiastic and thinking that will definitely happen. Kildare were very naive yesterday and that wasn't a true reflection of Dublin's potential, or any indication of how they would break down a blanket defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I heard the entire Dublin minor football panel is edigible again next year. Is this correct?

Also, its not like wing backs and corner backs coming forward to score is anything new, or something Dublin have just invented - look at the likes of McGlynn for Donegal, Tomas O'Se for Kerry, Gareth Bradshaw for Galway, McCarthy himself for a couple of years now, etc etc...

Probably wasn't clear enough like Smiley, what I meant to convey was most opposition Donegal come up against opt for the traditional 6 man forward line and supporting midfielders or similar tactics to themselves in that they slowly break out of defense with vast amounts of players behind the ball an try to work a score.

Now if they come up against Dublin at the present time, Dublin will have a full 6 man forward unit who are probably the most cohesive and best attacking unit in the country as well as the two midfielders and 3 half back line pushing forward. As Donegal set up with men behind the ball to cover space, a good forward line will pull them around the place leaving space for oncoming players to exploit it. Of course if that doesn't work Dublin have a bench of mark key forwards like Alan Brogan (When he's fit), McManamon, O'Gara and Rock to bring on who are quality forwards with Kevin and Eoin who can break tackles as we seen in 2011's SF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I can't recall many teams that 'opt for the traditional 6 man forward line' in any match, let alone against Donegal. A team with more than four dedicated forwards is a rarity these days, the sweeper is simply a building block of all teams and has been for some time. Sometimes attack-minded teams push the sweeper forward but even yesterday Dublin reverted to using a sweeper to shut down Kildare after their good start.

The best and possibly only way to beat Donegal is to play them at their own game. Dublin trying to play free-flowing Connacht football (because let's be honest, that's exactly what it is, just with the players to do it right) against Donegal could end up being a massacre.

It doesn't matter if you're Gooch or Jamie Clarke if you've got two or three defenders hanging out of you while you're trying to kick from a sensible angle. You'll almost always miss more than you hit and that's what's McGuiness' system is predicated on, percentages. I doubt Gavin is dumb enough not to adjust to a more defensive set if presented with Donegal.

Dublin-Donegal in 2011 was the biggest grind in living memory, a meeting this year would find two teams much more willing to attack in numbers but still with a real chance of nullifying each other. Lots of long range efforts would probably be the order of the day.

It would still make for a fantastic match but I have my doubts that Donegal will even make the final.

Syferus wrote: »
    I can't recall many teams that 'opt for the traditional 6 man forward line' in any match, let alone against Donegal. A team with more than four dedicated forwards is a rarity these days, the sweeper is simply a building block of all teams and has been for some time. Sometimes attack-minded teams push the sweeper forward but even yesterday Dublin reverted to using a sweeper to shut down Kildare after their good start.

The best and possibly only way to beat Donegal is to play them at their own game. Dublin trying to play free-flowing Connacht football (because let's be honest, that's exactly what it is, just with the players to do it right) against Donegal could end up being a massacre.

It doesn't matter if you're Gooch or Jamie Clarke if you've got two or three defenders hanging out of you while you're trying to kick from a sensible angle. You'll almost always miss more than you hit and that's what's McGuiness' system is predicated on, percentages. I doubt Gavin is dumb enough not to adjust to a more defensive set if presented with Donegal.

Dublin-Donegal in 2011 was the biggest grind in living memory, a meeting this year would find two teams much more willing to attack in numbers but still with a real chance of nullifying each other. Lots of long range efforts would probably be the order of the day.

It would still make for a fantastic match but I have my doubts that Donegal will even make the final.

I'd go along with pretty much all of that. Much as Dublin did under Pat Gilroy the Donegal boys flood the central area in front of their goal. Its grand saying movement and runners will pull them out of position but quite frankly i'll believe it when i see it.

Cork are a big team and they tried running down the middle and they were stopped in their tracks. Also, Dublin had a not too dissimilar forward line up in 2011 P Flynn, B Cahill, B Cullen, A Brogan, D Connolly, B Brogan and only Cullen scored from play (late on if i'm not mistaken). BB, AB, Connolly and Flynn didn't get a kick. Now Mannion, Kilkenny and Andrews are good additions but i can't see a lot changing tbh. You simply can't do your stuff no matter how good you are if three or four defenders crowd you out.

I think Mayo might do a job on them too but if it comes to it Dublin will have to improve tactically to prevail against McGuiness imo.

I do marvel sometimes at all this talk of Dublin's magnificent forwards. As I said myself from watching them on Sunday, they are impressive but Donegal have McFadden, Murphy and McBrearty, now that is some three man full forward line.

Look the conversation post Kildare is related more to the invigorating style of football than the benchmarking of them against the other top teams. Let's be honest and I'm far from a neutral on this I know but gimme that football everyday than the suffocating stuff we've seen elsewhere.
    I think there's a hope that this maybe an antidote to the anti football we've seen but it's unlikely to bear fruit this year.
    Dublin have played only one quality team this year losing and getting out of jail in the second match. We know where we stand with the other big boys but this is the finest attacking football Ive ever seen from a Dublin team and that'll do for me if we come up short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I do marvel sometimes at all this talk of Dublin's magnificent forwards. As I said myself from watching them on Sunday, they are impressive but Donegal have McFadden, Murphy and McBrearty, now that is some three man full forward line.

You are in the Dublin thread. This is where people talk about the Dublin team. We have just beaten a rival by 16 points having had three years of defensive football. If you want avoid all this talk about the Dublin team, just avoid this type of thread and Dublin papers.
    Traffic must have been heavy this morning Lemlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Syferus wrote: »
    Dublin trying to play free-flowing Connacht football (because let's be honest, that's exactly what it is, just with the players to do it right) against Donegal could end up being a massacre.

It doesn't matter if you're Gooch or Jamie Clarke

Lots of long range efforts would probab

Let's be honest, Connacht don't under any circumstances have a claim free flowing football. If we were to break it down into a provincial traditional style of play they have been known to have developed a catch and kick style of football with good fielding around the field, not a fast run the ball approach.

I could see mayo beating Donegal alright.

Stoner wrote: »
    You are in the Dublin thread. This is where people talk about the Dublin team. We have just beaten a rival by 16 points having had three years of defensive football. If you want avoid all this talk about the Dublin team, just avoid this type of thread and Dublin papers.
    Traffic must have been heavy this morning Lemlin

Woah, hold your horses there and don't be so defensive. Talk about attack and you're on the attack here.

As I said above, the Dublin forwards are a magnificent unit and I was at the game Sunday and very impressed with them. They were a joy to watch. In saying that, I've also seen alot of Donegal this year. People talk about them as if they are just a defensive unit and I believe a few on here are guilty of that.

Donegal are a fantastic defensive unit coupled with some of the best forwards in the game. That's my point, and that's why they are so strong.

McBrearty is really coming into his own this year and will be a huge addition to them. I can see him perhaps overshadowing Murphy as the star of the team if he keeps progressing like he is.

I also didn't realise I had to agree with the opinion of every person from Dublin to post on the Dublin GAA discussion thread. I generally wouldn't post here but was at the game on Sunday so said I'd give my opinion as a neutral and also compliment your team and how good it was, particularly the forwards. These lads are on alot higher level than the team of the noughties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Woah, hold your horses there and don't be so defensive.

Ba-dum tssshhh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As a Dublin fan I am certainly not getting carried away by the demolitions of Westmeath and Kildare. The tactics of those teams played exactly into our hands.

But we've short memories if we forget how we got on v Tyrone in the NFL final. Their blanket defence in the 2nd half completely snuffed us out for a long period. We continually ran into cul-de-sacs and got turned-over time and time again. We completely ran out of ideas.

Thankfully Tyrone had not got the forwards to take advantage. 3 or 4 shots in Cluxton's hands and another 3 or 4 handy wides kept us in it. We got a couple of great scores late on to win the game, which was great in showing the team had a bit of heart and fight - but make no mistake, Tyrone should have been out of sight by then.

When a team plays 12 men back, there will be very little space to run into. It would be most interesting to see how we get on v Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

corny wrote: »
    I'd go along with pretty much all of that. Much as Dublin did under Pat Gilroy the Donegal boys flood the central area in front of their goal. Its grand saying movement and runners will pull them out of position but quite frankly i'll believe it when i see it.

Cork are a big team and they tried running down the middle and they were stopped in their tracks. Also, Dublin had a not too dissimilar forward line up in 2011 P Flynn, B Cahill, B Cullen, A Brogan, D Connolly, B Brogan and only Cullen scored from play (late on if i'm not mistaken). BB, AB, Connolly and Flynn didn't get a kick. Now Mannion, Kilkenny and Andrews are good additions but i can't see a lot changing tbh. You simply can't do your stuff no matter how good you are if three or four defenders crowd you out.

I think Mayo might do a job on them too but if it comes to it Dublin will have to improve tactically to prevail against McGuiness imo.

So you have Mannion, Kilkenny and Andrews for Cullen, A. Brogan and Cahill.

I think that is an improvement, they have a greater scoring return, apart from Mannion, the other two appear two-footed. As well as that, Connolly and Flynn are better than they were two years ago. O'Gara, Kevin Mac, Rock are options off the bench that are better than before. We also still have Costello, A. Brogan and Cullen as bench options.

For the Donegal game, if we get that far, you may see Kevin Mac from the start or from early on, his ability to carry the ball and beat a defender, forcing a covering defender to come across could be key. His is a different style to the extreme pace of McCarthy and McCaffrey but could be very important.

When a team plays 12 men back, there will be very little space to run into. It would be most interesting to see how we get on v Donegal.

Thats why I think alot of people on here want to discuss our tactics because they are wondering can we beat Donegal and the rest of the top counties with them or should we try out a different system .
    Personally I'm enjoying this new style of football but we will know over the coming months wether it is worth sticking with or whether Jim Gavin should try out a new system or style .

Thats why I think alot of people on here want to discuss our tactics because they are wondering can we beat Donegal and the rest of the top counties with them or should we try out a different system .
    Personally I'm enjoying this new style of football but we will know over the coming months wether it is worth sticking with or whether Jim Gavin should try out a new system or style .

I'd be very disappointed for one if there was a radical overhaul of the current playing style. As others have said there's probably a need to tweak them later should they run into Tyrone/Mayo or Donegal. I'd be confident enough with the playing style going into Cork or Kerry game as they play a more expansive game than the other 3.

I'd be very disappointed for one if there was a radical overhaul of the current playing style. As others have said there's probably a need to tweak them later should they run into Tyrone/Mayo or Donegal. I'd be confident enough with the playing style going into Cork or Kerry game as they play a more expansive game than the other 3.

Cork especially. I know they've been experimenting with more numbers behind the ball but they can be very naive at the back. Dublin would beat them comfortably imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/gavin-not-ruling-out-final-return-for-brogan-29392970.html

alan could still be back for leinster final but still big competition with Kilkenny and Connelly and flynn in the back and mannion andrews and bernard plus the subs i cant see him breaking in fully unless he really is back to his best as Jim gavin said he will play the person who works the best

back in 2011 he was one of the stars but its a different team these days no player is bigger then the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

If Alan Brogan is fit he has to play in my opinion. I'd drop any forward to fit him in, even his brother!

Advertisement