Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bernard is probably the one i'd take out if Alan was back 100%.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If Alan Brogan is fit he has to play in my opinion. I'd drop any forward to fit him in, even his brother!

I don't see why, when Alan last was playing he alternated creating a lot with dropping efforts into keepers hands. Ciaran Kilkenny is stepping up into the roll, but has more pace and power and scoring ability from further out. While Connolly is doing the link up also.

Alan should be on bench if fit and brought on for Kilkenny or Connolly to get him up to match pace as an option.

We missed him horribly from the old style team with much fewer options, but he should be just another great option in this squad. if he proves himself as a sub and in training he should be fighting for Connollys or Kilkennys place.

He doesn't play same role as Bernard so any thought of swapping them doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. Bernard will keep doing the thankless role of taking the best defender and the odd double team, to make space for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Alan was sitting in front of me on Sunday(with his wean) and not saying he struggled but was slow out of the seat and had a slight limp

Only saying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

After so long away from inter county football i can't see Brogan picking up where he left off anytime soon. He's the wrong side of thirty, recovering from a serious persistent injury and its going to take time to get up to speed. If we were short of options maybe he'd be rushed back but as it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Minors well beaten by Kildare. I wonder will the talk of splitting the county persist now that we had a bad season across minor/u21 in both football and hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Thoughts on tomorrow's game lads? Honestly before the two Kilkenny matches I wouldn't've given us a chance but we seem to be on a bit of a streak here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Fbjm wrote: »
    Thoughts on tomorrow's game lads? Honestly before the two Kilkenny matches I wouldn't've given us a chance but we seem to be on a bit of a streak here.

Think tomorrow Galway will be lying in the long grass waiting for us and will prob beat us by 5+ points, after the rollercoaster of the last 4 weeks im not sure my heart can take much more, really hope im wrong and we have a day like the 2011 league final cause that day is up there alongside the footballers of 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Yeah, in fairness it's arguably a less important match knockout wise if you look at the bigger picture, since losing against Kilkenny would have had us facing Tip today and that really would have been throwing us to the lions. If we win tomorrow we're into the All Ireland semi final and even if we lose we're into the quarters, I think the rule is we can't face the cats again so early so we'll be playing someone like Limerick or Cork or something like that, which would be a lot less daunting after the year we've had so far. I'd predict that whatever way tomorrow goes, we'll get to the All Ireland semi final this year again like in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Yea I think after beating the cats last week and playing Galway today and with Tipp now gone it couldnt have worked out better win or lose because we wont be able to meet either till the final I think if thats the way the rules work ?

C'mon the Dubs :D

I was amongst the chorus calling for Daly to step aside last season. I've never been happier to admit i was wrong. Delighted for him.

On to the game. Really polished performance from Dublin. No obvious weak links or fellas having a bad day. Only Canning can claim to have got the better of his man and i thought Kelly did well against him.

I've never seen the Dublin forwards inconvenience a back line so much. In the first half every Galway player was hassled incessantly coming out with the Sliothar. We forced them into mistakes on more than one occasion. Really set the tone for the whole team. Keaney and Rushe were tremendous in the second half and Dotsy and Joey Boland were very effective throughout.

Galway will come on for that and Kilkenny will improve when the injuries clear up but Dublin won't go quietly if they can keep this up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Another great win for the Dublin hurlers today,they played magnificent from the first second,got a bit scary when there was only the six pts in it but we came back at them with all we got and deservedly won the game,Now for the football next week and would I be pushing the boat out to far in saying there could/might/hope be an All Ireland double win for us, wouldn't it be just magic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Rushe was immense when Galway got it back to six. Real leader. Seemed to win ball with his feet, hands, stick the lot. Always the one bursting out and clearing it.

Ryan had that day from play that we've been waiting a while for.

Smashing day, I've never felt that sense of atmosphere and the feeling of something special on the Hill in a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My only thought right is now that on days like today the GAA have it right - nothing beats being there.

261598.jpg

My thoughts will come after, as soon as I take off these celebration spectacles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

realies wrote: »
    would I be pushing the boat out to far in saying there could/might/hope be an All Ireland double win for us, wouldn't it be just magic....

nah stop that, I wouldn't entertain that type of hype anymore, not since all the heartaches the footballers caused us over the years.. Take it one match at at time... as Brian Codey said, anyone can beat any team on any day... mind you he's not used to being beaten:D

Not into hurling really but it was heart stopping stuff today from the lads, delighted for them especially after the long hard road it took to get this far.

Double Leinster Finals for Dublin, when was the last time that happened and did we win both.

Great day at Croke Park. But, as a Dublin fan, who constantly has to hear the chorus of nonsense re: us playing in Croker all the time, I paid 30 in last week, I paid 35 in today, and I'll be paying 35 in next weekend. Will all of that money be going back into Dublin GAA or Leinster GAA?!

So happy for Daly. He stuck with that team, under so much criticism last season, and he has been entirely justified. A leinster title to add to the league. Only one trophy left to win ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Take one game at a time folks. Don't jinks things by saying we will have double AI success this year. We shoudn't fear any team though in the hurling now. It could be a long summer for the Dubs on both codes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The work that team got through today was amazing, hats off to everyone of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Congrats on today, as a Clareman living in Dublin i have to admit it was a bit emotional even for myself. Great display, winning Leinster the hard way as well. There is no team that Dublin should be afraid now having beaten both of last years AI finalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Warper wrote: »
    Congrats on today, as a Clareman living in Dublin i have to admit it was a bit emotional even for myself. Great display, winning Leinster the hard way as well. There is no team that Dublin should be afraid now having beaten both of last years AI finalists.

Anthony?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Double Leinster Finals for Dublin, when was the last time that happened and did we win both.

2011 was the last time we were in the provincial finals in both codes, we won the Football and lost the hurling.

I believe the last time we won both in the same year was 1942

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

As close to the football in 2011 as can be

Fantastic atmosphere on The Hill for a truly great great day for Dublin hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Was there myself today only in the door now and have to admit we made a great day out of it and Dublin played absolutely brilliant
    Dominated the game but was a few hairy moments where I thought we were about to let them in again. 2 easy goals by galway by poor defending and communication by Dublin defenders but woke up again and kept cool.
    Shocking to see Galway supporters leaving 10 mins before the end. Not very supporting.
    Well done to the boys in blue. And again thanks for a great day out lads really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

danjo-xx wrote: »
    nah stop that, I wouldn't entertain that type of hype anymore, not since all the heartaches the footballers caused us over the years.. Take it one match at at time... as Brian Codey said, anyone can beat any team on any day... mind you he's not used to being beaten:D

Not into hurling really but it was heart stopping stuff today from the lads, delighted for them especially after the long hard road it took to get this far.

Believe it is 1924 since we did it. Should beat Meath on Sunday easy enough(no disrespect to Meath).
    Great day for Dublin Gaa yesterday but KK/Waterford and other battle hardened teams are still there. No easy game in the semi final for the Hurlers, while presuming we beat Meath, wouldn't fancy Cork in a AI 1/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

naughtb4 wrote: »
    The work that team got through today was amazing, hats off to everyone of them

The workrate from Dublin was outstanding, KKesque.
    That type of workrate isn't down to skill or ability, but attitude and a team applying themselves, was brilliant to see.

As a Clareman, well done, and soak it up. The longer the wait, the sweeter the victory imo.

Go swapsies for next summer, send Daly down home and we'll send Davy up, sure its only an L for a V ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Well done Dublin - you should have no fear of any of the teams left, but don't get too far ahead of yourselves just yet. Waterford have won four Munster titles since 2002 and not yet turned it into All-Ireland success.

I know we had our best team right during that period of Kilkenny (and to a lesser extent Tipperary) dominance, and that doesn't seem to be such a factor now. However the next two games are serious ones, and it will still take a serious team to win both.

Hopefully we'll see a Waterford-Dublin final! Stranger things have happened! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Great viewing. Well done Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Great performance from the lads yesterday - I for one have no problem in admitting that I got them completely wrong this year. Huge credit to Daly and all concerned for getting them back to where they were in 2011. This is in no small part to the return of Keaney and their reverting to the type of play which brought them that success - their work ethic, a return of the high catching which was a feature of their play and also their use of the handpass in looking for better options than they themselves had.

It's hard to know what the rest of the year holds for them now - in someways the 5 week break I think will work against them, but they have given the hurling fraternity and the wider Dublin supporters a great day yesterday - with a Croker atmosphere that their accomplishments were deserving of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Great performance from the lads yesterday - I for one have no problem in admitting that I got them completely wrong this year. Huge credit to Daly and all concerned for getting them back to where they were in 2011. This is in no small part to the return of Keaney and their reverting to the type of play which brought them that success - their work ethic, a return of the high catching which was a feature of their play and also their use of the handpass in looking for better options than they themselves had.

It's hard to know what the rest of the year holds for them now - in someways the 5 week break I think will work against them, but they have given the hurling fraternity and the wider Dublin supporters a great day yesterday - with a Croker atmosphere that their accomplishments were deserving of.

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Congrats yesterday lads,great to see all the hard work paying off,wasn't so long ago we used be playing ye in Division 2 NHL matches and finals,keep going now for the rest of the year,could be a special year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

What a great day it was yesterday. Kind of had a feeling that when Dublin went three points up early on that Galway wouldn't catch them - it turned out to be extremely nerve wracking and I didn't really relax until they went well clear and were into injury time in the 2nd.

Speaking as a Dub (with Wexford roots from my Dad), this means far more to me than winning Sam in 2011 (or even 95). For me, hurling is a greater game than football (especially the modern football) and that Dublin have managed to beat 2 major "hurling" counties in the championship in the same year is some achievement and makes me very proud.

Anything else after this is a bonus, but I hope they do at least make the final, and then who knows?

LeftBlank wrote: »
    What a great day it was yesterday. Kind of had a feeling that when Dublin went three points up early on that Galway wouldn't catch them - it turned out to be extremely nerve wracking and I didn't really relax until they went well clear and were into injury time in the 2nd.

Speaking as a Dub (with Wexford roots from my Dad), this means far more to me than winning Sam in 2011 (or even 95). For me, hurling is a greater game than football (especially the modern football) and that Dublin have managed to beat 2 major "hurling" counties in the championship in the same year is some achievement and makes me very proud.

Anything else after this is a bonus, but I hope they do at least make the final, and then who knows?

Most apparent this year i think. I haven't see a good game of football yet this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

LeftBlank wrote: »

This quote sums my feelings up perfectly.
    Never mind Sam, in 2011, I was more excited by the league that year.
    I watched the league final game in a bar in London with my Kilkenny in laws and had a blast.
    And as for the Semi final where tipp only needed to turn up, it was an amazing year, after lars goal we tagged them back it was a great day.

This year has just being such a surprise, I didn't travel to either of the Wexford games, as we had plans both weekends, but I worried about the Kilkenny game, sure I was wrong.
    We know how that story finished.

Everything after yesterday is a bonus.
    A Performance in the semi final is all I want too see. :)

And if it doesn't go our way a standing ovation for the team, too show our appreciation.

Took this yesterday
    Forward to :35 its when the cup was getting lifted
    Great time have t say

Sorry forgot the link :)
    http://youtu.be/kCNWUhxrpao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Looking forward to Sunday, not many occasions we go into a game with Meath as overwhelming favourites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've travelled many counties in Ireland
    but there's still one I'm longing to see
    it has been a part of my homeland
    and it brings back fond memories to me
    where I wandered alone in my childhood
    reviewing the sights I once seen
    as I walked through the parks and the forests
    'round the beautiful county of Meath.

[chorus] Oh, beautiful Meath, you've got all that I need,
    your rivers they flow with delight
    your fields are so green, there's plains to be seen
    and your towns are so gay and so bright
    fishing down on the Boyne, I remember the time
    you would think it was all just a dream
    and wherever you roam, there's no place like home
    and the beautiful county of Meath.

I've seen Eire's beautiful castles
    and it's history I've learned so well
    I've read of the high kings of Tara
    and the wonderful Book of Kells
    where the slain still remember St. Patrick
    he lit a fire for the people to see
    'ere he brought love and kindness to Ireland
    and the beautiful County of Meath.

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've travelled many counties in Ireland
    but there's still one I'm longing to see
    it has been a part of my homeland
    and it brings back fond memories to me
    where I wandered alone in my childhood
    reviewing the sights I once seen
    as I walked through the parks and the forests
    'round the beautiful county of Meath.

[chorus] Oh, beautiful Meath, you've got all that I need,
    your rivers they flow with delight
    your fields are so green, there's plains to be seen
    and your towns are so gay and so bright
    fishing down on the Boyne, I remember the time
    you would think it was all just a dream
    and wherever you roam, there's no place like home
    and the beautiful county of Meath.

I've seen Eire's beautiful castles
    and it's history I've learned so well
    I've read of the high kings of Tara
    and the wonderful Book of Kells
    where the slain still remember St. Patrick
    he lit a fire for the people to see
    'ere he brought love and kindness to Ireland
    and the beautiful County of Meath.

It's better written than sung brother :P

Looking to beat Meath in a Leinster Final for only the second time since 1995. No season is complete without a game against Meath. They'll be gunning for us, and we all remember what happened in 2010. But it would take some amount of psychological failure for Dublin not to win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

corny wrote: »
    Most apparent this year i think. I haven't see a good game of football yet this year.

Very true, possible we will see another one sided game again on Sunday. Cant see another otherwise. The Dublin/Meath factor may come into it for the first 20 mins but when it settles down, Dublin will have way to much.
    Could have to wait until the semis until we see a decent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

There's not a county I love to see beaten more than Meath...it's definitely to do with growing up in the late 80's and early 90's...but it doesn't die regardless of where they are now...I'd prefer to see Kerry take another AI than Meath...Dubs +5pts for me on Sunday...and then +5 pints afterwards;)

• Advertisement

Caught between a rock and a hard place on this one - I want to see a good Dublin win but I also would like to see a competitive game for them too. O'Dowd must realise after the Kildare match that to take Dublin on man for man will end in a fair beating for them. So in one sense I'm hoping that Meath decide to park the bus with 13 behind the ball and probably use the big sog ball upto Sheridan as their out. In some ways a dour encounter will stand to them greater than a facile one sided win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Caught between a rock and a hard place on this one - I want to see a good Dublin win but I also would like to see a competitive game for them too. O'Dowd must realise after the Kildare match that to take Dublin on man for man will end in a fair beating for them. So in one sense I'm hoping that Meath decide to park the bus with 13 behind the ball and probably use the big sog ball upto Sheridan as their out. In some ways a dour encounter will stand to them greater than a facile one sided win.
    Joe Sheridan will not start on Sunday. He has looked below par so far this season.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Joe Sheridan will not start on Sunday. He has looked below par so far this season.

I was hoping O'Dowd was reading this and would decide to start him ;) ... agreed tho ... but if youse do park the bus - there's no great options for an out man - Wallace, Bray & Newman don't really have the physical presence required for that Michael Murphy type role ?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

anyone know how many first-generation Dubs were part of the Leinster SHC success?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Has the team been named yet? Presume it's unchanged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Will be named this evening.

I heard a rumour (pinch of salt) that O' Gara will be replacing Paddy Andrews.

Yeah can't imagine there being anything drastic .. I'd only suggest that maybe O'Gara might be selected just to give Kevin Reilly a bit more to think about - but would think he'd be more effective as a replacement - Paddy Andrews has done nothing wrong to my mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Paddy Andrews has done nothing wrong to my mind

Quiet enough last day out but heard he may have been carrying a knock into the game.

Any word on ticket sales so far? A lot to expect Dubs to shelve out 70 quid in 8 days to support the team. I've my ticket, of course, but I'm still going to moan about it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement