Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

dcr22B wrote: »
    Quiet enough last day out but heard he may have been carrying a knock into the game.

Wasn't his greatest day, but in fairness he put in a decent shift with his selfless running and link play. I really haven't a problem with any 6 forwards starting for Dublin, if there was one I wouldn't like to do without it would be Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

O'Gara is meant to be flying in training.

Yeah Keane that's come back a few times thru the unofficial channels .. I'd hasten to add that I think he's twice the player now than he was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Any word on ticket sales so far? A lot to expect Dubs to shelve out 70 quid in 8 days to support the team. I've my ticket, of course, but I'm still going to moan about it!

Tickets.ie are only selling lower levels + Upper Cusack at the moment, so I would say it'll be about 50k. They were predicting 70k+ in the Independent which is complete rubbish.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

LeftBlank wrote: »
    Tickets.ie are only selling lower levels + Upper Cusack at the moment, so I would say it'll be about 50k. They were predicting 70k+ in the Independent which is complete rubbish.

That they were predicting 70k+ isn't true. It clearly said in independent today that they are expecting close to 60k NOT the 70k they had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Alrighy muchachos,

Can't see anything but a clear dublin victory considering the meath performance against wexford. What has happened to shane o rourke of meath?

Any ideas whats up with reservoir dubs?

Dublin team announced as same 15 as started Kildare match.

copacetic wrote: »
    That they were predicting 70k+ isn't true. It clearly said in independent today that they are expecting close to 60k NOT the 70k they had last year.
    Yeah furthermore I think the 2 o'clock throw in might curtail the last minute spectators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah furthermore I think the 2 o'clock throw in might curtail the last minute spectators too.

Haven't the gaa learned yet Dublin fans aren't morning people :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What has happened to shane o rourke of meath?
    Was out with a hip injury for the best part of two years. Returned with Simonstown in the last couple of months but went off injured again recently as far as I know.

Not really expecting a favourable result tomorrow but I'm not without hope. I'll be amazed if we don't put up a better showing than Kildare and Westmeath. We certainly won't capitulate like these two if ye put a bit of distance between us.
    Our defence worries me mainly because both Davy Dalton and Caolan Young, two defenders with good bit of pace, are still out injured. Teams seem to run through us with relative ease recently so that may be what kills us tomorrow.
    Our midfielders will have to be much more mobile than they have been for us to have a chance as well. Forwards is the area I'd hope we can use to our advantage. Lots of pace in Reilly, Wallace and Bray with good options to bring on if needed.

Praying for some (read "lots of") luck tomorrow. May the best green team win.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Anyone Heard any word on Alan Brogan For Tomorrow?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Anyone Heard any word on Alan Brogan For Tomorrow?

I understand he won't make the bench, but it could be just rumours. He was pictured togged out in his gear today, so must be getting there.
    http://twitter.com/SKINS_IRELAND/status/356078603571703809/photo/1

Can't wait for tomorrow, looks like it will be a lovely day and expect a good game. I'd hope that we would have enough pace and power and scorers to win out, especially with the stronger bench on what will be a difficult day for all the players. Wide open spaces of Croker on a hot day isn't the place for tiring players.

You never know what meath team will turn up though and they are well capable of good scores, we will have to perform well. No room for easing our way in to it like against Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Meath aren't mobile enough around the middle of the park. Dublin will strangle them there and win comfortably enough.

Bumped into 2 ex Royalers yesterday, after the initial bit of jousting they admitted couldn't see anything but a reasonable Dublin win. Strangely when I threw the direct running of Graham Reilly as a possible source of success for them they thought he wouldn't fancy the physicality of the tackle. I have to protect my sources because as a parting word the 2 of them said they'd travel anywhere to watch this Dublin team, the football excites them. They play as one put it proper football.

Personally can't wait for throw in , anything less than 100% and the Royals will smell blood. 6 quick goals and 2 pints will settle me nerves. Jaysis look at that I meant it the other way round:D. Nerves I tell ya are a terrible thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

copacetic wrote: »

Can't wait for tomorrow, looks like it will be a lovely day and expect a good game. I'd hope that we would have enough pace and power and scorers to win out, especially with the stronger bench on what will be a difficult day for all the players. Wide open spaces of Croker on a hot day isn't the place for tiring players.

Ya wanna have another look out side?
    Poxy clouds are back out again :(
    Least It won't be as humid and hot as last week at the hurling
    Gonna be headin into it for an few pints first in an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya wanna have another look out side?
    Poxy clouds are back out again :(
    Least It won't be as humid and hot as last week at the hurling
    Gonna be headin into it for an few pints first in an hour

Doesnt matter, due to clear up around 2 O Clock 24-27 Degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

listermint wrote: »
    Doesnt matter, due to clear up around 2 O Clock 24-27 Degrees.

Ah bollocks!
    Well il still be hitting the pints
    Tried that Stella Artois cidre last week
    Flipping gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

corny wrote: »
    Meath aren't mobile enough around the middle of the park. Dublin will strangle them there and win comfortably enough.
    Meath cant field very well either Their midfield has been subpar for a decade Until they solve that issue they will struggle If combined with an improved midfield they could strengthen defence by 2 players then they have the forwards Right now the 2-9 is not division 1 standard But their forwards are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Does anybody know how I can get a tube of factor 40 to Senan Connell.. I just saw him on TV3 there and the poor man looks like he only after getting out of the oven..

(He's a good contributor though).

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Quality goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yikes the shooting is poor from both sides today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Very free flowing, fast paced, exciting game so far, but let down by a lot of poor kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Stephen Bray is such a classy footballer.

Meath getting their confidence up now, totally dominating at midfield- could be interesting from here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Wont take many tips of you.

Meath have destroyed Dublin in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Not it the second half :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Fair play to Meath, they showed up today to play in like their lives depended on it and rattled Dublin in the first half. They really bossed the midfield and were wining every ball.

Today, O Gara and kevin mcmanamon when giving space could not put the ball over the bar

Thankfully we came out the second half and showed our standard. We coasted our first few games and really came up against it today. What do we take from it?

In 2011 when we played Wexford, we were pretty bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bad game out of the way. Fair play to Meath they raised thier game.

Thought the ref was very niggly, contributed to a stop start game

Ah sure you can't get everything right. They did do brilliantly to mop up the dirty ball though. Seamus Kenny had a field day mopping up around Gillespie.

Poor performance from Dublin. They improved in the second half when they really pushed on to Meath but they still gave up loads of chances then too. We were brutal in defence. Simple running off the shoulder stuff confused the likes of Cooper and McCaffrey today.

A better team i.e better blanket defence, more fit, more clinical forwards, basically Donegal are really going to expose Dublin. Lets hope we avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Mannion is pure class, I'd let him take more free's too. Kilkenny played very well but seemed a tad slow at times.

What about Bastick in the middle? We were fairly destroyed around the middle, maybe a big man needed, and put O'Sullivan back in the defence..

Ref was very poor 1st half (thought we coulda had a peno?, and the keeper ripping Dubs jersey off), but even in 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Yeah I was disappointed on the ref as well. I don't know why Joe McQuillan wasn't the referee anyway. He usually is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Can't say I'm a fan of McQuillan..! Lots of poor officials out there. Awful lot of inconsistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Neeson wrote: »
    Yeah I was disappointed on the ref as well. I don't know why Joe McQuillan wasn't the referee anyway. He usually is.

I think iv heard you say this before :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I think iv heard you say this before :P

Yeah I was jhoking. I hope he rots before he does another game involving Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Delighted to see a good open hard game of football played in a decent spirit.

Meath were better team for more than half of that match and could have been ahead by 7 or 8 pts at half time. Totally wiped out in midfield. Our defence ran ragged for long spells. This is a serious worry. If we play like this against Mayo, Donegal or either Munster side we will be destroyed. McCaffrey and McCarthy while are good going forward left our full back line very exposed and lucky for us Bray and Newman stumbled at vital times.

Bastic made huge diference when introduced and will have to start from here on. He plugged a massive gap in the middle and forced Meath wide. There were also positives. Kilkenny had a very good game and used the ball so well. Mannion was jsut class really good to watch. When Flynn and Connolly got on the ball in second half you feel the tide turning in Dubs favour.

Jim Gavin will be happy enough tonight. Dublin had to battle for every ball for 70+ minutes and they came through it. He has plenty of food for thought.

Thought referee was inconsistant by times. Gave free against Brogan when he appeared to me to be fouled with 4 Meath men slapping him (he got a cut) A few minutes later Cian O'Sullivan stands over a Meath player and free given against him. Thats what annoys people. On the plus side there were a few good hits from both sides, good old shoulder charges which he let go that McQuillen or Duffy might dish out cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I Heard this on Newstalk so do not know if true. However one of the commentators was saying that some of the Dublin players did not stay to get the trophy as they won in so often. If so it is very desrepectible to the fans and meath. He was saying that Dublin are All Ireland or nothing even a provincial championship is nothing. He could not believe it when the players went on there victory lap saying they won nothing. Sorry I do not know more was anyone else listening to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I Heard this on Newstalk so do not know if true. However one of the commentators was saying that some of the Dublin players did not stay to get the trophy as they won in so often. If so it is very desrepectible to the fans and meath. He was saying that Dublin are All Ireland or nothing even a provincial championship is nothing. He could not believe it when the players went on there victory lap saying they won nothing. Sorry I do not know more was anyone else listening to it

Sounds like horse**** to me, winning a Leinster isn't nothing, and the lads on the pitch know it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd imagine he picked them up wrong. I'd say what they meant is their goal is the All Ireland and Leinster is only a stepping stone.

Sounds like horse**** to me, winning a Leinster isn't nothing, and the lads on the pitch know it too.

I do think your right but is there is this type of perceived arrogance around Dublin no wonder people want them to loose. It sounded like a fantastic match and well done to Dublin. The Newstalk lads could not hide there bias toward Dublin all the time which I supposes is okay

This is bol**x. It was obvious on the big screen and on T.V they were on steps of stand leading to podium.

There is a lot of respect in GAA and I would be ashamed if this happened to any team. Mind you some players from both sides were possibly getting treatment but have a look at Sunday game tonight if they show presentation you will see them

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd imagine he picked them up wrong. I'd say what they meant is their goal is the All Ireland and Leinster is only a stepping stone.

I think this is spot on Lemlin
    I do think your right but is there is this type of perceived arrogance around Dublin no wonder people want them to loose. It sounded like a fantastic match and well done to Dublin. The Newstalk lads could not hide there bias toward Dublin all the time which I supposes is okay

Its not arrogance its a swagger, Cork have it hurling (not today). Dublin play with a certain amount of style and buzz but if you go a training session or meet any of these lads they are sound. Some cheeky jack the lad types, some quiet some loners, Just like any other county.

And its all built up by the same journalists mainly the print type who will only be too happy to turn on them if things go pear shaped. Cant speak for newstalk I would sooner listen to a old tape of Big Tom:p

LeoB wrote: »
    This is bol**x. It was obvious on the big screen and on T.V they were on steps of stand leading to podium.

There is a lot of respect in GAA and I would be ashamed if this happened to any team. Mind you some players from both sides were possibly getting treatment but have a look at Sunday game tonight if they show presentation you will see them

As I said I did not see the game only going by what I heard and I agree with you is is horse manure. IF it happened it would be all over the news by now and this site.

Only asking after what I heard.

Its not arrogance its only natural that a lad collecting his first Leinster medal is going to be slightly more enthused that lad who has 9 or 10 of them. Human nature.

Anyway this really is bollox because i was there and not only did all the lads climb the steps they walked around the pitch in front of the fans with the trophy afterward.

LeoB wrote: »
    I think this is spot on Lemlin

Its not arrogance its a swagger, Cork have it hurling (not today). Dublin play with a certain amount of style and buzz but if you go a training session or meet any of these lads they are sound. Some cheeky jack the lad types, some quiet some loners, Just like any other county.

And its all built up by the same journalists mainly the print type who will only be too happy to turn on them if things go pear shaped. Cant speak for newstalk I would sooner listen to a old tape of Big Tom:p

Each to there own. Like Dave Mcintire the rest not so much. Ken Earle before he left was such a....... well I won't finish as it would get me banned. K

Also swagger must be earned 2 All Irelands since 95 is not great now Kings of Leinster they are though.

Its not arrogance its only natural that a lad collecting his first Leinster medal is going to be slightly more enthused that lad who has 9 or 10 of them. Human nature.

Anyway this really is bollox because i was there and not only did all the lads climb the steps they walked around the pitch in front of the fans with the trophy afterward.

Thanks as I heard only going by what I heard

Ah sure you can't get everything right. They did do brilliantly to mop up the dirty ball though. Seamus Kenny had a field day mopping up around Gillespie.

Poor performance from Dublin. They improved in the second half when they really pushed on to Meath but they still gave up loads of chances then too. We were brutal in defence. Simple running off the shoulder stuff confused the likes of Cooper and McCaffrey today.

A better team i.e better blanket defence, more fit, more clinical forwards, basically Donegal are really going to expose Dublin. Lets hope we avoid them.

Yep, agree 100% with this as a snapshot of what transpired. This was the first indication of how limited Dublins defence is when properly exposed. I've always had a grudging respect for Meath, having a few mates from the home of the infidel, you ask them about Meath football and they'd be fairly upfront about the fact that they are short on talent or whatever - and never seek to look for excuses with regard to the teams performance. They've been top of the tree and understand whats required to get back there.

Today - Meath can hold their head high - they found a performance that was way above what was expected - exposed a fragile midfield and a maverick half back line. Meade & Gillespie only wilted in the last 20 that's when coupled with Basticks introduction we finally got a stranglehold. I think it's time for Kevin Nolan/Philly Mc or Micky Fitz to find a place back in the starting 15 and if tough decisions are being made Bernard Brogans is in serious trouble of keeping his place. Some of the overall decision making and shooting was very poor today.

It would be glib and unfair on Meath to put this down as a bad day at the office and the kick up the arsé that they needed. This is the counter style of football that the better teams will employ against them later in the championship - pressured kick outs, tactical fouling and high intensity attacking that's primarily bringing the ball at them rather than the long punt into the forward line.

As others have said the contribution of Kilkenny and Mannion was a joy to watch, these young lads hopefully have years of football left. I was watching Mannion kicking off the ground pre-match and I think he has the pedigree to at least share the load with Cluxton - who wasn't his sharp eye self from placed ball down the Cusack side anyways.

Eddie Kinsella can join my hall of shame of refs - looks like we have a contender for Marty Duffys throne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I Heard this on Newstalk so do not know if true. However one of the commentators was saying that some of the Dublin players did not stay to get the trophy as they won in so often. If so it is very desrepectible to the fans and meath. He was saying that Dublin are All Ireland or nothing even a provincial championship is nothing. He could not believe it when the players went on there victory lap saying they won nothing. Sorry I do not know more was anyone else listening the o it

I listened to the whole broadcast, I'm sorry you don't know more too.

Newstalk had mossy Quinn on the panel, he brought up the issue that some of the Dublin team had to be brought out again. I don't know who you heard saying that Dublin had won nothing, Mossy suggested that it was bad form that some returned to the dressing room , the whole team was then paraded around the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Well done to Dublin today, well deserved. I hear things about Bernard Brogan not doing well but he essentially takes 2-3 backs out of play from marking him.

Stoner wrote: »
    I listened to the whole broadcast, I'm sorry you don't know more too.

Newstalk had mossy Quinn on the panel, he brought up the issue that some of the Dublin team had to be brought out again. I don't know who you heard saying that Dublin had won nothing, Mossy suggested that it was bad form that some returned to the dressing room , the whole team was then paraded around the ground.

I can't comment on who did or didn't dip away post presentation. As is usual for me I walk around from the Cusack thru the seats in Davin and out the Hogan. What I did notice on the way round was the Dubs going to the Hill and then going back to the tunnel subsequenyly they then came to go over to Cusack by which time most of the stand had emptied. Now unless this is the instance that Mossy is talking about where lads decided they weren't heading back across the field to an near empty stand I dunno?

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I can't comment on who did or didn't dip away post presentation. As is usual for me I walk around from the Cusack thru the seats in Davin and out the Hogan. What I did notice on the way round was the Dubs going to the Hill and then going back to the tunnel subsequenyly they then came to go over to Cusack by which time most of the stand had emptied. Now unless this is the instance that Mossy is talking about where lads decided they weren't heading back across the field to an near empty stand I dunno?

Possibly. This was just a launching pad post for the guys second post. People can think whatever way they want, but nobody on Newstalk said that Dublin had won nothing.

I really wonder about the Brogans in this team. Kilkenny has shown some great vision, apart from looking a little slower than the other forwards I think he plays a decent game.
    He does not give B Brogan any special treatment. At times this year B Brogan has looked at sea, he is simply not getting the amount of ball that he is used to.

We've been listening to various comments like stop Bernard Brogan and stop Dublin or Stop Alan Brogan and you stop Dublin. To a large degree this was true. Sounds like O'Gara was poor today, but against Kildale I thought he was set up differently than he did under gilroy. I have not seen a real change in how B Brogan is playing, I think he'll have to make a wholesale change to his game, players like Andrews, Rock, Kilkenny and mannion can all collect a pass and score.
    I think Rock might feature more for Dublin this year.
    My best to Meath, always great winners and losers I'm glad they are still in the championship, I hate when they beat us but I genuinely wish them the best when they do, I can't say that about any other county.

• Advertisement
Advertisement