Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

What are peoples taughts on possible AI 1/4 opposition. Based on draw below I can see a lot of Ulster teams and maybe Cork in the 1/4 final. Cant see Meath getting past Tyrone, so it looks like we could get a tough game next up.

Galway vs Armagh, winners play Cork
    Wexford vs Laois, winners play Donegal/Monaghan(hard to call)
    Kildare vs Tyrone, winners play Meath
    Derry vs Cavan, winners play Mayo/London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I Heard this on Newstalk so do not know if true. However one of the commentators was saying that some of the Dublin players did not stay to get the trophy as they won in so often. If so it is very desrepectible to the fans and meath. He was saying that Dublin are All Ireland or nothing even a provincial championship is nothing. He could not believe it when the players went on there victory lap saying they won nothing. Sorry I do not know more was anyone else listening to it

Utter rubbish. I was in section 332, right beside 331 where the trophy is presented, and I did not see one player who was missing for it. Most of them went over to the Hill with it later on, except for a few players who stayed in the side line to greet their families and fans.

Think its gas that the Dubs get slated by some people, no matter what they do. Last year, they disappeared straight down the tunnel after the presentation, and were slated for being ungracious winners. This year, they stay out a little longer and show the trophy off to the fans, and they get slammed for premature celebrations. They can't win, no matter what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Lads, the O'Gara question? do you think he is deserving of a place in the squad, let alone the team? I thought he was poor again today and was surprised to hear that he was starting. Surely there are other players that are more skilful such as Rock and Macmeninmen (not sure of that spelling.:)) that deserve to be ahead of O'Gara. I just dont see what he brings to the game, he can barely solo the ball, forget about him hand passing, his shooting for a point is more likely to end up at the corner flag rather than going over the bar. I just cant see what he brings to the team.

Today I thought we were much better in the forward line when he came off, maybe I am being a bit unfair considering O'sullivan was taken off a the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    I really wonder about the Brogans in this team. Kilkenny has shown some great vision, apart from looking a little slower than the other forwards I think he plays a decent game.
    He does not give B Brogan any special treatment. At times this year B Brogan has looked at sea, he is simply not getting the amount of ball that he is used to.

We've been listening to various comments like stop Bernard Brogan and stop Dublin or Stop Alan Brogan and you stop Dublin. To a large degree this was true. Sounds like O'Gara was poor today, but against Kildale I thought he was set up differently than he did under gilroy. I have not seen a real change in how B Brogan is playing, I think he'll have to make a wholesale change to his game, players like Andrews, Rock, Kilkenny and mannion can all collect a pass and score.
    I think Rock might feature more for Dublin this year.
    My best to Meath, always great winners and losers I'm glad they are still in the championship, I hate when they beat us but I genuinely wish them the best when they do, I can't say that about any other county.

I'm not sure i agree. I accept Gilroys system was made for BB but to me he's almost lazy in his work off the ball now.

I was in 331 and so got a good look at the forwards in the first half. Mannion consistently showed well out in front of Micky Burke. O' Gara ran around a bit but was unsure of his role i thought. BB really didn't move at all though. No breaks into the corner to look for the ball. No dropping deep to take the ball off the half forwards. Either he's told to stay on the edge of the square or he couldn't be bothered offering an option. I don't know which it is but he's not shining as a result. He's good in open space with a man to beat not on the edge of the square with 4 defenders punching for the ball.

I'd agree with DoctaDee too. More natural defenders are needed at the back. I hate to pick on McCaffrey but he's so prone to ball watching its not funny. The more astute managers are already working out plans to expose him. Meath had a lot of joy up the right yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

corny wrote: »
    Its not arrogance its only natural that a lad collecting his first Leinster medal is going to be slightly more enthused that lad who has 9 or 10 of them. Human nature.

Anyway this really is bollox because i was there and not only did all the lads climb the steps they walked around the pitch in front of the fans with the trophy afterward.

its not just players, its also fans.
    Look at the difference yesterday from Gaelic Grounds to Croke Park
    Or from yesterday in Croker to the Sunday previous when the Dublin hurlers won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Addional thoughts from the last few posts without multi quoting.

O'Gara started because of Andrews hip injury,(which I think either Corny or DCR had posted about after Kildare game) Gavins hand was sorta forced on this as there was no other relative fit for that role other than possibly Dean Rock. I don't think Rock has the physicality or natural tendency to play close into the square and Reilly would've smothered him anyways. O'Gara's contribution while relatively poor has to be viewed in the context of the inability of Dublin to garner possession from primary ball in midfield or the breaking ball which invariably landed in Seamus Kenny's mits. His rampaging style was curtailed by virtue of little to no quick ball coming in.

Bernard is a shadow of his former self - I really can't put my finger on why tho. I thought he would've excelled under this system, with the scoring pressure lifted with the introduction of Andrews and Mannion. Couple this with the additional support runners now around him when winning primary possession - it should've opened greater opportunites. This by all accounts isn't just a Dublin thing, performance with OP/ER is sketchy also. There was talk in the post 2012 season review internally by players that he didn't come out of it in a great light - it's hearsay so I'll leave that alone. Big call time I'd drop him - put Paddy A in the corner and O'Gara full - I know that if BB problem is purely a confidence thing then this maybe another puncture wound. Give us back our old BB please !

I've seen Jack Mc close up a few times with Clontarf. Midfielders win possession and Jacks off on a diagonal run, collects and blistering pace into the 45, it's great to see from the sideline. But even in Intermediate football his defending is ordinary - save for the fact he can redeem himself with his pace. Bring that to the county stage, he can still redress his defensive shortcomings with pace but his physicality doesn't impose itself on the attacker. I'd bring Kevin Nolan in for Jack - but I'd use him as a replacement further up the field in the half forward line, where his running off the shoulder later on in a game against a tiring defence would hopefully reap dividends, coupled with the fact that his defending wouldn't be exposed as the last line. Age, experience and a greater physical presence will make this young lad one of the greatest wing backs eventually.

Random thought to finish. Diarmuid Connolly I think has the best football skills on the team, watching him in the warm up he has a soccer players touch with both feet - makes me wonder how many 1 on 1's he's missed in the 3 matchesr - he could defo have scored 6-7 goals so far. Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I Heard this on Newstalk so do not know if true. However one of the commentators was saying that some of the Dublin players did not stay to get the trophy as they won in so often. If so it is very desrepectible to the fans and meath. He was saying that Dublin are All Ireland or nothing even a provincial championship is nothing. He could not believe it when the players went on there victory lap saying they won nothing. Sorry I do not know more was anyone else listening to it

Isnt this saying the commentator said it and nothing to do with player etc?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

copacetic wrote: »
    I understand he won't make the bench, but it could be just rumours. He was pictured togged out in his gear today, so must be getting there.
    http://twitter.com/SKINS_IRELAND/status/356078603571703809/photo/1

Can't wait for tomorrow, looks like it will be a lovely day and expect a good game. I'd hope that we would have enough pace and power and scorers to win out, especially with the stronger bench on what will be a difficult day for all the players. Wide open spaces of Croker on a hot day isn't the place for tiring players.

You never know what meath team will turn up though and they are well capable of good scores, we will have to perform well. No room for easing our way in to it like against Kildare.

Game went pretty much as most fans expected. Meath caused us plenty of trouble which was expected and was good to see as we leave the back door stage and go in to last chance games.

Disappointing that we still have so many questions to answer re the man to man marking at the back, whether we can ever get the non traditional midfield working and whether we can keep carrying Bernard while he gets back to fitness.

Having said that, we still came out comfortable enough winners on a day when Meath player well. Although they missed easy enough chances, we probably missed even more. A number of players looked a little out of sorts, and it was good for the new players to get the experience of a tough closer game for a old period.

O'Gara didn't look fully fit and it was early for him to be started due to injury, I prefer him coming off the bench, but dean rock has done well doing that so possibly the right call. Mannion was great again, Bernard showed well and won a fair bit of ball, but snatched at shots and held on too long on occasion. He is sill getting a lot of defensive attention so needs to shift ball on quicker if shot isn't on.

Flynn, Kilkenny and Connolly did very well and are nailed on now.

O'Sullivan moved well around midfield it mCCauley had quiet enough day and since he is the main ball winner we s troubled until Bastick came on and we went head to head for the high ball. it really looks like the midfield working depends on who we are playing, although Meath have probably biggest midfield in country.

At the back we again did well going forwar, but left a lot of space, this is a given with the system we are playing of course but we seem to need at least our fair share of luck. If we come up against a team that just kicks every chance like Mayo did last year then we will ship a lot of scores. Meath have good forwards providing plenty of movement and niggle which was a good test, but some of their finishing was simply criminal.

We also seemed to have almost too many people going forward together sometimes, 3 or 4 all across 40 handpassing it around. We let them funnel back and take the speed out of our attacks.

Having said that we 10 mins to go and 8 points down, Meath were keeping 6 and a sweeper back, they cleary gave up too early in my opinion and protected the score while going for goal. They should have kept points going and committed more men forward.

All in all I thought a good win and a better learning experience that a 14 or 15 point win would have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't think Bernard Brogan will hold his place in the Dublin team which is a great sign of the depth up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Addional thoughts from the last few posts without multi quoting.

O'Gara started because of Andrews hip injury,(which I think either Corny or DCR had posted about after Kildare game) Gavins hand was sorta forced on this as there was no other relative fit for that role other than possibly Dean Rock. I don't think Rock has the physicality or natural tendency to play close into the square and Reilly would've smothered him anyways. O'Gara's contribution while relatively poor has to be viewed in the context of the inability of Dublin to garner possession from primary ball in midfield or the breaking ball which invariably landed in Seamus Kenny's mits. His rampaging style was curtailed by virtue of little to no quick ball coming in.

Bernard is a shadow of his former self - I really can't put my finger on why tho. I thought he would've excelled under this system, with the scoring pressure lifted with the introduction of Andrews and Mannion. Couple this with the additional support runners now around him when winning primary possession - it should've opened greater opportunites. This by all accounts isn't just a Dublin thing, performance with OP/ER is sketchy also. There was talk in the post 2012 season review internally by players that he didn't come out of it in a great light - it's hearsay so I'll leave that alone. Big call time I'd drop him - put Paddy A in the corner and O'Gara full - I know that if BB problem is purely a confidence thing then this maybe another puncture wound. Give us back our old BB please !

I've seen Jack Mc close up a few times with Clontarf. Midfielders win possession and Jacks off on a diagonal run, collects and blistering pace into the 45, it's great to see from the sideline. But even in Intermediate football his defending is ordinary - save for the fact he can redeem himself with his pace. Bring that to the county stage, he can still redress his defensive shortcomings with pace but his physicality doesn't impose itself on the attacker. I'd bring Kevin Nolan in for Jack - but I'd use him as a replacement further up the field in the half forward line, where his running off the shoulder later on in a game against a tiring defence would hopefully reap dividends, coupled with the fact that his defending wouldn't be exposed as the last line. Age, experience and a greater physical presence will make this young lad one of the greatest wing backs eventually.

Random thought to finish. Diarmuid Connolly I think has the best football skills on the team, watching him in the warm up he has a soccer players touch with both feet - makes me wonder how many 1 on 1's he's missed in the 3 matchesr - he could defo have scored 6-7 goals so far. Ta

I know someone mentioned that Paddy Andrews may have been carrying injury in the last match but didn't know if this was true or not..Thanks..Any idea if he will be back ..

• Advertisement

exador wrote: »
    I know someone mentioned that Paddy Andrews may have been carrying injury in the last match but didn't know if this was true or not..Thanks..Any idea if he will be back ..

Howya... I don't really know tbh, as the injury rumour surfaced post Kildare. It seemed to gain a bit of momentum in the build up to yesterdays game, but then was quelled by Dublin camp as everything was fine and Paddy was taking part in full training. Hopefully it's just a case of him being minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Howya... I don't really know tbh, as the injury rumour surfaced post Kildare. It seemed to gain a bit of momentum in the build up to yesterdays game, but then was quelled by Dublin camp as everything was fine and Paddy was taking part in full training. Hopefully it's just a case of him being minded

He had a great league campaign and was one of the stand out players so hopefully he can get back fit and get the form he had then.

exador wrote: »
    He had a great league campaign and was one of the stand out players so hopefully he can get back fit and get the form he had then.

Agreed 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Anyone else notice the funny moment yesterday when Damien Carroll went to push Cluxton only to end up stumbling back like a new born foal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Not as funny as poor Stephen O'Neill earlier in the championship!

oneill.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Neeson wrote: »
    Not as funny as poor Stephen O'Neill earlier in the championship!

oneill.gif

Didn't see that one what happened?

Didn't see that one what happened?

He tried to shoulder Neil McGee I believe. But fell on his arse while McGee strutted away.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

A nice one from yesterday too was after the mass handbags Connolly was walking back in position after the ref talking to him and the 17 I think from Meath. The Meath lad then started pinching him trying to get a rise and the ref had a word again with Dermo. The waterboy came over and he took the bottle, gave the Meath boy a quick squirt in the eye before taking a sup. The Meath lad didn't know what happened but couldnt react as the ref was right beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Neeson wrote: »
    He tried to shoulder Neil McGee I believe. But fell on his arse while McGee strutted away.

He gave it his all too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Is there any Dubs on this years SFC panel whose parents are from the city? Or are they all sons of country people?? (Brogan bros. excepted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

freddiek wrote: »
    Is there any Dubs on this years SFC panel whose parents are from the city? Or are they all sons of country people?? (Brogan bros. excepted)

The bolded and underlined bit is all that matters. They are Dubs, no matter where their parents are from. If you want to follow your thinking to its logical conclusion then everyone should probably be playing for somewhere like Addis Ababa. That would be some team, though they'd have no one to play against. Now take your spoon and go play somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Can tell you four off the top of my head.

Dean Rock
    James McCarthy
    Philly McMahon
    Jason Whelan

Cue..."I was just asking an innocent question, no need to jump down my throat, just interested that's all"

Hate that sh1t!

That dude actually posted the same question just before the Meath game...joker...

GK1001 wrote: »
    A nice one from yesterday too was after the mass handbags Connolly was walking back in position after the ref talking to him and the 17 I think from Meath. The Meath lad then started pinching him trying to get a rise and the ref had a word again with Dermo. The waterboy came over and he took the bottle, gave the Meath boy a quick squirt in the eye before taking a sup. The Meath lad didn't know what happened but couldnt react as the ref was right beside them.

Here is some of the aforementioned handbags:

GK1001 wrote: »
    Cue..."I was just asking an innocent question, no need to jump down my throat, just interested that's all"

Hate that sh1t!

That dude actually posted the same question just before the Meath game...joker...

But what's wrong with someone asking that? No one is going to steal the players and bring them back to their parent's county!

• Advertisement

Squareball wrote: »
    Can tell you four off the top of my head.

Dean Rock
    James McCarthy
    Philly McMahon
    Jason Whelan

Thanks. I should have excepted McCarthy and Rock too, as their fathers had previously played for Dublin

Flukey wrote: »
    The bolded and underlined bit is all that matters. They are Dubs, no matter where their parents are from. If you want to follow your thinking to its logical conclusion then everyone should probably be playing for somewhere like Addis Ababa. That would be some team, though they'd have no one to play against. Now take your spoon and go play somewhere else.

I wouldn't like it if more than half of the players that played for my county had no parental link with it. But i'm not a Dub, so whatever is good for you lads..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I wouldn't like it if more than half of the players that played for my county had no parental link with it. But i'm not a Dub, so whatever is good for you lads..

I suppose we could go out to the surrounding counties and claim all the young "Dubs" whose parents had to move out of Dublin because of the house prices!!!

Not sure what your point is or are you looking for a reaction?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I suppose we could go out to the surrounding counties and claim all the young "Dubs" whose parents had to move out of Dublin because of the house prices!!!

Not sure what your point is or are you looking for a reaction?

those "Dubs" are unlikely to play gaelic games, unless their parents are from the country anyway. Its a well-established fact that players who end up on the Dubs senior team are much more likely to have country parents, who love gaelic football and ensure their kids play it right up through the age groups. This has pretty much always been the case.

Jim Gavin, the present Dubs manager has a Clare father.

I bet if you even looked at this years minor team, you'd notice a strong country influence there in the players' backgrounds.

Dublin people who support the GAA are what I call country-Dubs. As opposed to Jackeen-Dubs who follow english soccer with a passion and are extremely indifferent to the dubs team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

those "Dubs" are unlikely to play gaelic games, unless their parents are from the country anyway. Its a well-established fact that players who end up on the Dubs senior team are much more likely to have country parents, who love gaelic football and ensure their kids play it right up through the age groups. This has pretty much always been the case.

Jim Gavin, the present Dubs manager has a Clare father.

I bet if you even looked at this years minor team, you'd notice a strong country influence there in the players' backgrounds.

Dublin people who support the GAA are what I call country-Dubs. As opposed to Jackeen-Dubs who follow english soccer with a passion and are extremely indifferent to the dubs team

Holy Sh1t what are you saying???

Both of my parents are from dublin and I follow GAA, my fathers parents where from dublin. My great grandparents on my mothers side where from galway.

So chances are some point people have mixed and mingled.

Sure i may not have played sports very well but I have always supported.
    Why im entertaining you i have no idea.

I dont know what your hatred is for dublin is, or why the massive chip on the oul shoulder.
    But you may build a bridge over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Flukey wrote: »
    cheers i had him on ignore.

I just don't think its unreasonable to state that Dublin people should provide the players for Dublin GAA teams. Given the size of the place it can be easily done and I don't see why Dublin GAA needs country people to provide the players that backbone the squads at juvenile and adult level

here's an idea: from 2014 on, the minor players for both hurling and football teams should have only Dublin parents. (with exception to be made for different ethnic background). But no kids of country parents to be picked. If the teams performed terribly, then I suppose the county board would have to scrap it and revert to the tried and trusted approach where Dublin players selected are of mainly country parentage

I would like Dublin to try this new approach and also phase out the reliance on country people living in Dublin to fill key positions of influence in clubs, such as mentors, delegates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Oookkkkk,
    Well hitlers ideas where only blonde people with blue eyes, that worked out well.

We could apply it too all counties I suppose.

Genuine question though why the complete hatered of Dublin? PM me if its that personal

coolisin wrote: »
    Oookkkkk,
    Well hitlers ideas where only blonde people with blue eyes, that worked out well.

We could apply it too all counties I suppose.

Genuine question though why the complete hatered of Dublin? PM me if its that personal

what is it that I have said that makes u think I have a "hatred" for Dublin??

I just think compared to other counties they have an obvious population advantage and should not need to rely on the contributions of country people to the extent that they traditionally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

I just don't think its unreasonable to state that Dublin people should provide the players for Dublin GAA teams. Given the size of the place it can be easily done and I don't see why Dublin GAA needs country people to provide the players that backbone the squads at juvenile and adult level

here's an idea: from 2014 on, the minor players for both hurling and football teams should have only Dublin parents. (with exception to be made for different ethnic background). But no kids of country parents to be picked. If the teams performed terribly, then I suppose the county board would have to scrap it and revert to the tried and trusted approach where Dublin players selected are of mainly country parentage

I would like Dublin to try this new approach and also phase out the reliance on country people living in Dublin to fill key positions of influence in clubs, such as mentors, delegates etc.

Maybe then we'd start winning **** more regularly!

But seriously, is this how you get your kicks?? What sort of life is this to lead, get a grip man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

freddiek infracted. Any more of the rubbish you've been posting for the past week or so will result in a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The Dublin u16 are playing Louth in Drogheda in the Gerry Reilly Memorial Cup, anyone know whereabouts the pitch is in Drogheda.

WOW...just WOW:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The Dublin u16 are playing Louth in Drogheda in the Gerry Reilly Memorial Cup, anyone know whereabouts the pitch is in Drogheda.

Any luck on this lads, I want to check out their parentage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

A few problems here.
    1. The minor team has to have 15 players. Using your novel approach they would be short about 13.
    2. Exceptions to be made for ethnic origin. Its ok if you're parents are from Nigeria but not Galway. I can't see that one working.
    3.Phase out the reliance of country people for club positions,mentors, delegates etc. Have you ever been to an A.G.M. If you have you wont see a quque of people, Dublin or non Dublin natives, lining up to get on committees etc.
    The bottom line here is that if you removed all country born influence from the Dublin GAA scene it would collapse. Why do you think there is scare GAA involvement in areas with a high level of native Dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Well done to Dublin your footballers are majestic to watch my arse is still hurting after the Dublin Kildare game ;)

The hurlers have proven their worth too..

It must be a great time to be a Dublin GAA fan

All this parentage talk is ridiculous lads just be happy with what Dublin GAA have going for them.

How do you think a dub with a Kildare parent would feel reading this thread?? Segregated slightly?? My dad is a dub and mam is a lily and I'm proud of both county teams.. Although my loyalty is purely Kildare ;)

It's a special time for you all enjoy it ;)

what is it that I have said that makes u think I have a "hatred" for Dublin??

I just think compared to other counties they have an obvious population advantage and should not need to rely on the contributions of country people to the extent that they traditionally do.
    just looking back at your recent posts, not just in this thread, and I'd say it's fairly evident...more than welcome to join us on the hill anytime to experience the best atmosphere in the country IMO...you could invade the pitch with us afterwards but I suppose you'd never know what those dangerous dublin boys would be carrying:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

This idea of "native" Dubs not wanting to play GAA is absolute nonsense. I am not just referring to freddiek here either. People with "Dublin parents" don't just want to play garrison games lads, get a grip!

GK1001, the Hill boys love slagging the culchies so you can expect a wee bit in return. calling it hatred is way over the top. If I went up there with them and told them a few home truths about the boys out on the field and their culchie mammies and daddys, I don't think they'd be too happy!

Thanks to Citycap for addressing the point instead of attacking me as some others have done. Surprised my your response here : "1. The minor team has to have 15 players. Using your novel approach they would be short about 13." - Are you saying that the Dubs young team would be that stuck for players if my proposal was taken up? I'm shocked and dismayed at that, I have to say

and then - "2. Exceptions to be made for ethnic origin. Its ok if you're parents are from Nigeria but not Galway. I can't see that one working." It would be hard to implement but I suggest this in order to remove the advantage that kids of country parentage have always had in getting on Dublin teams. Its either a fact that kids who have parents from the country are better at gaelic football, OR the people selecting the players favour kids who have country parents. Its one or the other.

I'm glad that you came to the same conclusion as me which is obvious when you state that "The bottom line here is that if you removed all country born influence from the Dublin GAA scene it would collapse. Why do you think there is scare GAA involvement in areas with a high level of native Dubs"

I think a lot of people are in denial about this but you have confirmed what I have been saying all along. perhaps people mistake a fella going along to Hill 16 once or twice a year and cheering the Dubs with actually making a contribution to Dublin GAA. You will find that in clubs all over Dublin, its rural people who are doing the donkey-work behind the scenes. And then its their kids who come through to represent Dublin at the various levels through to senior.

Anyway, I have nothing further to add as I don't want to see any more hostility in my direction from either ordinary members or Mods, so Slán Libh

GK1001, the Hill boys love slagging the culchies so you can expect a wee bit in return. calling it hatred is way over the top. If I went up there with them and told them a few home truths about the boys out on the field and their culchie mammies and daddys, I don't think they'd be too happy!

Thanks to Citycap for addressing the point instead of attacking me as some others have done. Surprised my your response here : "1. The minor team has to have 15 players. Using your novel approach they would be short about 13." - Are you saying that the Dubs young team would be that stuck for players if my proposal was taken up? I'm shocked and dismayed at that, I have to say

and then - "2. Exceptions to be made for ethnic origin. Its ok if you're parents are from Nigeria but not Galway. I can't see that one working." It would be hard to implement but I suggest this in order to remove the advantage that kids of country parentage have always had in getting on Dublin teams. Its either a fact that kids who have parents from the country are better at gaelic football, OR the people selecting the players favour kids who have country parents. Its one or the other.

I'm glad that you came to the same conclusion as me which is obvious when you state that "The bottom line here is that if you removed all country born influence from the Dublin GAA scene it would collapse. Why do you think there is scare GAA involvement in areas with a high level of native Dubs"

I think a lot of people are in denial about this but you have confirmed what I have been saying all along. perhaps people mistake a fella going along to Hill 16 once or twice a year and cheering the Dubs with actually making a contribution to Dublin GAA. You will find that in clubs all over Dublin, its rural people who are doing the donkey-work behind the scenes. And then its their kids who come through to represent Dublin at the various levels through to senior.

Anyway, I have nothing further to add as I don't want to see any more hostility in my direction from either ordinary members or Mods, so Slán Libh
    You're a gas man:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

No doubt that Country people relocating to Dublin have had an influence but it think you might have your figure s wrong. I am involved at committee in my club. I am Dublin born and bred. Three committees I have been involved in have had the following breakdown

Committee 1: 14
    Dublin Born: 10
    Country Born: 4

Committee 2: 9
    Dublin Born 8
    Country born 1

Committee 3: 10
    Dublin Born: 8
    Country born: 2

I think Dublin people are giving as much as our country cousins to the GAA, long may it last.

Freddiek, it doesn't matter if their parents are from Timbuktu, Outer Mongolia, some far and uncivilised part of the galaxy or even Meath, if they are born in Dublin then they are Dubs and 100% eligible to play for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Freddiek you should pop over to the soccer forum they would just love you in the Ireland national team thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Freddiek : Please stop your making my eyes burn . If a player lives in an area and chooses to play for that county then it's that players choice . Look at the counties that alot Dublin people live in now . How would you feel if they started using players who where born in Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Two words: Declan Darcy. Quick, let's strip Leitrim of that Connacht title of theirs from 1994. Darcy was born and raised in Dublin. Leitrim knowingly cheated their way to victory according to Freddiek's Law!

Advertisement