Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Two words: Declan Darcy.

Impressively concise for someones name :).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Well I've just spent the past half hour looking through some of Freddie's previous posts...entertaining stuff, worth a read, albeit quite sinister on his views on all sorts of things...but I love his quote on Dublin as a place...
    "agree 100%. its a grim, dark, depressing and hopeless place "

Freddie I doubt you have a passport but I might suggest you get one...go experience life outside of your home...meet people...in the flesh I mean...talk to them...experience different cultures and points of view...and when you've done all that come back home, to Ireland that is, drop us a post here on the Dublin Supporters forum and we'll go to Gaffney's for a pre match pint, and watch my beloved Dubs get unceremoniously dumped out in another AI Semi, then we'll have a few more after...I might even buy you a flag if you're good;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Two words: Declan Darcy. Quick, let's strip Leitrim of that Connacht title of theirs from 1994. Darcy was born and raised in Dublin. Leitrim knowingly cheated their way to victory according to Freddiek's Law!

I'm only back for a minute and the I ll leave you to discuss more general matters but I couldn't let this one go. To actually compare where I'm coming from with little old Leitrim is ridiculous. Of all counties out there, Leitrim is more than entitled to invite players who weren't born there but have links with the county (like Darcy) because they are so handicapped by their small size plus the huge amount (relative to its size) of players they have missed out on through emigration from Leitrim.

Leitrim will have provided many more players to Dublin teams over the years than the one lousy example of Declan Darcy and 1 or 2 others going the other way

Dublin should have let him alone in any case and I think it looked bad that he was selected for the Dublin senior team a few years after the 1994 success with Leitrim

Adiós

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

freddiek wrote: »
    I'm only back for a minute and the I ll leave you to discuss more general matters but I couldn't let this one go. To actually compare where I'm coming from with little old Leitrim is ridiculous. Of all counties out there, Leitrim is more than entitled to invite players who weren't born there but have links with the county (like Darcy) because they are so handicapped by their small size plus the huge amount (relative to its size) of players they have missed out on through emigration from Leitrim.

Leitrim will have provided many more players to Dublin teams over the years than the one lousy example of Declan Darcy and 1 or 2 others going the other way

Dublin should have let him alone in any case and I think it looked bad that he was selected for the Dublin senior team a few years after the 1994 success with Leitrim

Adiós

Ah OK. I didn't realise that counties affected by historic emigration were entitled to have as many "foreigners" in their team as they wished. Can you send me on a copy of Freddiek's Law just so I can be 100% certain of all the bizarre anomalies?

One rule for Dublin, another for everyone else; that's fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Suggestion would be "do not engage"

As its fairly obvious that while entertaining everything posted is bizarre to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

freddiek wrote: »

Adiós

So in short Anybody but Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gerrymac16

Lads dont pay any heed to freddie, he gives country lads like me a bad name. More seriously, is there a problem with reservoir dubs since yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There were two Dublin born players on that Leitrim team if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Gerrymac16 wrote: »
    Lads dont pay any heed to freddie, he gives country lads like me a bad name.

Before you are classified as a country lad, you better check with Freddiek to see if you qualify. You might have a distant ancestor from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Flukey wrote: »
    Before you are classified as a country lad, you better check with Freddiek to see if you qualify. You might have a distant ancestor from Dublin.

But they are from newcastle in county dublin which to be fair had a population of 112 at the time, So its alright. I checked the freddy bye laws.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    There were two Dublin born players on that Leitrim team if I remember correctly.
    More recently 2 of Vincents hurlers played inter county with Leitrim hurlers. They had great craic for a couple of yrs but the commute to training in Athlone proved too much to juggle...pretty sure neither had any Leitrim blood in them, in fact I'm 100% sure one of them doesn't...but sure what does it matter...it shouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Does anybody know when the tickets for the next Dublin Football Game are out?

As yet we don't even know who or when they are playing. It will be on the bank holiday weekend, that is all we know yet. After the results of the upcoming games, we'll know more. You should be able to get them by the middle of the week before the game, so that is the week after next. Just keep your eyes and ears on the sports news.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

I think tickets go on sale on 30th July

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Gerrymac16 wrote: »
    More seriously, is there a problem with reservoir dubs since yesterday?

Looks that way but would hope it's just a technical issue to be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Serious trolling going on in this thread. what about the 3 lads of African heritage that played for Westmeath minors recently. Should they not play because Westmeath is not the hometown of their parents.

Can we ignore this certain poster who is a obvious anti Dub.

Who would you hope to get in the quarter final.

Cavan/Cork
    Tyrone/Kildare/Meath( can we play Meath in the QF?)
    Mayo/London ( reckon it will be London)
    Wexford/Laois
    Donegal/Monaghan

Would like to get a team outside Leinster myself. Maybe Cavan or Monaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would take Cavan , Meath , Kildare , London , Wexford , Laois or Monaghan right now and be confident of a win .

I would take Cavan , Meath , Kildare , London , Wexford , Laois or Monaghan right now and be confident of a win .

Aye but I would like to win and get some sort of a physical test. I don't think Kildare/London/Wexford/Laois could do that. We'd stroll past them untested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The 1/4 final and 1/2 final tickets went on sale before the leinster final on tickets. Ie. Hill ticket s wweren't on sale yet though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Serious trolling going on in this thread. what about the 3 lads of African heritage that played for Westmeath minors recently. Should they not play because Westmeath is not the hometown of their parents.

Can we ignore this certain poster who is a obvious anti Dub.

Who would you hope to get in the quarter final.

Cavan/Cork
    Tyrone/Kildare/Meath( can we play Meath in the QF?)
    Mayo/London ( reckon it will be London)
    Wexford/Laois
    Donegal/Monaghan

Would like to get a team outside Leinster myself. Maybe Cavan or Monaghan

I'd very confident in beating every team bar Donegal and Mayo. If (when) those teams win tomorrow Dublin will be in the final!:cool:

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    I'd very confident in beating every team bar Donegal and Mayo. If (when) those teams win tomorrow Dublin will be in the final!:cool:

If we got over the next stage the chance of playing Kerry in the semi is very very very likely.

Lets not start talking like Dublin fans from 2005 please

We can't play Meath in the quarter-final, which by default should mean we can't play Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

We can't play Meath in the quarter-final, which by default should mean we can't play Tyrone.

I don't think thats accurate Flukey unless they do the 1/4 draw before the round 4 qualifiers ... otherwise I'm assuming Tyrone are on the table

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I don't think thats accurate Flukey unless they do the 1/4 draw before the round 4 qualifiers ... otherwise I'm assuming Tyrone are on the table

Possibly, but they may do the draw before that. I had actually expected they would not have done the draw for the next round of the qualifiers until after today's matches, but they did. I still think we can't play Meath in any case, though I'd have Tyrone as favourites for that match anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tyrone would be a good team to get now. Difficult to beat, it could easily go the other way. Agreed that heads need to be kept level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I wouldn't mind getting Tyrone in the quarters. We've played them twice now, and only once escaped by the skin of our teeth. I wouldn't mind playing another tough, defensive team who don't pussy foot around, and who keep a lot of men behind the ball. It would be some good practice for if/when we meet Donegal.

We can get them can't we? I know we can't draw Meath again, but if Tyrone win that game, we can draw them, we just can't draw Meath, right?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    We can get them can't we? I know we can't draw Meath again, but if Tyrone win that game, we can draw them, we just can't draw Meath, right?

We can't get Meath. It depends on when they do the draw as to whether we can get Tyrone. If they do it before next weekend, then we can't get Tyrone. If it is after that, we can.

We can't get Meath. It depends on when they do the draw as to whether we can get Tyrone. If they do it before next weekend, then we can't get Tyrone. If it is after that, we can.

Semi's are set up for Leinster v Munster & Connaught v Ulster

• Advertisement

I'm thinking I'd like to see the Dubs have a cut at Cavan. Think they've done extraordinary well under Hyland this year ultra competitive in the tackle and well organised. Could be a very stern test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

What way does that work with cork and Kerry in the last 4?:P

More specifically:
    Leinster champions (or team that beats them) v Munster champions (or team that beats them).

Connacht champions (or team that beats them) v Ulster champions (or team that beats them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The draw won't be until there are 8 teams left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What way does that work with cork and Kerry in the last 4?:P

Cork are not Munsters representative in the championship draw. Kerry are ever since they won the Munster Championship. Cork are just another team in the draw now. If they make it to the semis, its because they won in the last round of the qualifiers and they won a quarter final. The province that they are from is not relevant.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The province that they are from is not relevant.

There are many that would agree with that sentiment. :D

• Advertisement

If we got over the next stage the chance of playing Kerry in the semi is very very very likely.

Lets not start talking like Dublin fans from 2005 please

I know its likely and from what i've seen Dublin will be too much for them.

And there's no harm in stating an opinion either. I'm rather pessimistic about Dublin overall truth be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I'm rather pessimistic about Dublin overall truth be told.

I agree with this too but cant just put my finger on it. Far from comfortable against Meath.

I feel those fifteen minute periods we have from time to time that the opposition go mental on us and score heavily will come back and haunt us again before this year is out.

That said, the old cliché, its great to beat Meath while not playing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Dublin mightn't have been fully-firing against Meath, but they still won by 7 points... and who is going to match them??

Donegal were shown to be vulnerable today.....Mayo were hardly hugely impressive, and it's hard to know where they're at....and Kerry were good against Cork but almost let them back into it, and I could see them struggling to contain the pace of the Dublin attack.

Outside of that...Tyrone? Cork? Monaghan? Cavan? None look like real All-Ireland contenders, and you'd fancy Dublin to beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Fireball07 wrote: »

Outside of that...Tyrone? Cork? Monaghan? Cavan? None look like real All-Ireland contenders, and you'd fancy Dublin to beat them.

Christ take the blue blinkers off will ya?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Christ take the blue blinkers off will ya?:rolleyes:

What blinkers are they?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Dublin mightn't have been fully-firing against Meath, but they still won by 7 points... and who is going to match them??

Donegal were shown to be vulnerable today.....Mayo were hardly hugely impressive, and it's hard to know where they're at....and Kerry were good against Cork but almost let them back into it, and I could see them struggling to contain the pace of the Dublin attack.

The nervousness of most Dublon fans would be that we now have a team that on their day are stunning.

However to play like this they consistently give up one on ones at the back. A team like Mayo or Kerry on their day could knock 4 or 5 goals past us. If on the same day we misfire going forward as we have a lot this season we will lose.

The Donegal style may not be pretty but it tends to always leave them in a game toward he end.

We are playing much nicer football but generally our games will be high scoring which is terribly risky.

It's a great place to be in though, just never wracking for fans.

I just hope we get to the semi ok and then go all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

copacetic wrote: »
    The nervousness of most Dublon fans would be that we now have a team that on their day are stunning.

However to play like this they consistently give up one on ones at the back. A team like Mayo or Kerry on their day could knock 4 or 5 goals past us. If on the same day we misfire going forward as we have a lot this season we will lose.

The Donegal style may not be pretty but it tends to always leave them in a game toward he end.

We are playing much nicer football but generally our games will be high scoring which is terribly risky.

It's a great place to be in though, just never wracking for fans.

I just hope we get to the semi ok and then go all out.

Agreed. It will be very interesting to see how Dublin go against one of the top teams with a really well set up defense.
    I cannot see Dublin winning the All-Ireland playing as they are, it is too reminiscent of Pillar Caffreys team, but Dublin fans will be hoping that Jim Gavin has a plan B for the business end of the championship that will see them set up a little more defensively

robbiezero wrote: »
    Agreed. It will be very interesting to see how Dublin go against one of the top teams with a really well set up defense.
    I cannot see Dublin winning the All-Ireland playing as they are, it is too reminiscent of Pillar Caffreys team, but Dublin fans will be hoping that Jim Gavin has a plan B for the business end of the championship that will see them set up a little more defensively
    I can see your point but Dublin can only set up more defensively by playing proper defenders. This would probably mean the chop for Daly/O'Brien, Cooper and McCaffrey with Mick Fitz; Philly Mc and Kevin Nolan in or maybe O'Sullivan reverting to back line wuth Bastic in but hard to see 70 mins in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

robbiezero wrote: »

I think Gavin is a much shrewder operator than that auld thick Garda Caffrey was. Whether he can deliver an All-Ireland though we'll have to wait and see. Lot of pressure on his shoulders I'd imagine. The Hill expects this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Think the draw is on Saturday night after the game. Therefore depending on the result and if Tyrone beat Meath, we can get anyone one of the winners from the Round 4 games.

Id prefer Cork/Tyrone from who is left. Will get a tough test of them heading into a possible semi final. Don't fancy Donegal at all.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Think the draw is on Saturday night after the game. Therefore depending on the result and if Tyrone beat Meath, we can get anyone one of the winners from the Round 4 games.

Id prefer Cork/Tyrone from who is left. Will get a tough test of them heading into a possible semi final. Don't fancy Donegal at all.

Having seen Donegal suffer from the same malaise Dublin experienced last year i'm not quite sure anymore. Their gameplan is what you really fear but if they can't back it up and outwork the other team the gameplan means nothing, evidenced last night. I thought they'd just get by, like Dublin last year, and be exposed by Mayo in a semi, again like Dublin last year, but alas its happened early. Having seen what Monaghan's work rate did to them i can only imagine the trouble an energetic Dublin performance would cause them. Change of mind for me but I think Dublin will cause them more problems than they'd cause us.

Tyrone gave us fierce trouble in the league and against Donegal i thought they were a little unlucky. I wouldn't be jumping for joy if we got them. Cavan are resilient bunch too. Sounds stupid but Cork and Donegal are the soft touches.;)

Having seen Donegal suffer from the same malaise Dublin experienced last year i'm not quite sure anymore. Their gameplan is what you really fear but if they can't back it up and outwork the other team the gameplan means nothing, evidenced last night. I thought they'd just get by, like Dublin last year, and be exposed by Mayo in a semi, again like Dublin last year, but alas its happened early. Having seen what Monaghan's work rate did to them i can only imagine the trouble an energetic Dublin performance would cause them. Change of mind for me but I think Dublin will cause them more problems than they'd cause us.

Tyrone gave us fierce trouble in the league and against Donegal i thought they were a little unlucky. I wouldn't be jumping for joy if we got them. Cavan are resilient bunch too. Sounds stupid but Cork and Donegal are the soft touches.;)
    Agree 100% after seeing the weekends matches. We're in to 7/4 now for the AI and although I don't like when we're favourites and the media hype that will come with it, it's hard not to be optimistic now. Mayo and ourselves are the great unknowns having not really been tested yet, and in Mayo's case not at all.
    IMO Kerry folk wll be delighted at how this is all shaping up...I'm down there next week in Castlegregory for a week and they'll be loving it

The talk of a Mayo v Donegal rematch in the semi-final has all been shaken up now. It could be in the quarter final, or a final again. Of course Laois could put an end to all that rematch talk. Whoever they both draw, a Kerry v Dublin semi-final looks likely, though Tyrone could be the team to upset that. They won't fear either of them. They could be the most likely qualifier to get into a semi-final. Tyrone in Croke Park are dangerous. They've more experience there than any of the other qualifiers over the past 10 years. They've more experience than Monaghan too. The weather is a little cooler today, but the championship is certainly hotting up. Great stuff! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

freddiek taking a holiday for a week.

freddiek taking a holiday for a week.
    Not surprised...I don't think our Fred is a troll in the typical sense though...he's not on a wind up like...I'd be fairly sure he is convinced of his views...really dislikes (and that's being polite) Dublin as a place and the people who inhabit it...I find him quite amusing to be honest...passed on the link to this thread to a few in work to have a read, Dubs and non-dubs alike, and everyone is waiting for Freddie's next post...an interesting study subject if you will...if it weren't for Internet forums poor auld Fred wouldn't have a voice

• Advertisement
Advertisement