Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ariel Atom wrote: »
    Great to see the Internet police on here sticking up for K Donaghy. Dublin beat s poor Kerry team in Feb means nothing, a bit like Kildare beating 14 man Cork. Different teams come Champo.

In fairness I don't think DK is picking up for KD :D He is just pointing out that no matter who the lads playing the game and what we personally think of them they shouldn't be personally abused here,Having said that not to fond of the lad (thats KD not DK) myself but I shall keep that for the mirror.

Well done all the Dubs today, looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No need for name calling. Donaghy may be "a tool" as you so eloquently put it but he is a talented tool.. No need for anyone to call any players names on an Internet forum.

Well done to Dublin both codes btw.

In Kieran Donaghy's case I respectfully disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Billy Mays wrote: »
    In Kieran Donaghy's case I respectfully disagree
    Then keep your opinion to yourself.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Then keep your opinion to yourself.

Is the whole point of an internet forum not for expressing your opinions:confused:

Is the whole point of an internet forum not for expressing your opinions:confused:
    Calling someone you don't know a tool is not an opinion.

Its ignorance. You are basing your judgment of Donaghy on what?

A few shots of him shouting on RTE?

MDMA gets sent off, and its "that tool Donaghy's" fault?

You don't like him, thats fine, but don't abuse him, keep it to yourself.

Calling someone you don't know a tool is not an opinion.

Its ignorance. You are basing your judgment of Donaghy on what?

A few shots of him shouting on RTE?

MDMA gets sent off, and its "that tool Donaghy's" fault?

You don't like him, thats fine, but don't abuse him, keep it to yourself.

Didn't say it was Donaghy's fault for MDMA gettin sent off, I said it was his own fault for gettin involved with Donaghy.

I'm basing my judgement on how Donaghy carries himself in games. I've seen it on several occasions with my own two eyes (I do go to games, I don't have to rely on TV replays). He's a sneaky player who regularly does his best to wind the opposition up and get players sent off. Likes to dish it out but can't take it.

You're right I don't know him. Maybe off the pitch he's a decent fella but on the pitch he's one of the most dislikeable players in the country and I don't think there are too many who'd disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Could the moderator who deleted my post tell me why it was removed?

Didn't say it was Donaghy's fault for MDMA gettin sent off, I said it was his own fault for gettin involved with Donaghy.

I'm basing my judgement on how Donaghy carries himself in games. I've seen it on several occasions with my own two eyes (I do go to games, I don't have to rely on TV replays). He's a sneaky player who regularly does his best to wind the opposition up and get players sent off. Likes to dish it out but can't take it.

You're right I don't know him. Maybe off the pitch he's a decent fella but on the pitch he's one of the most dislikeable players in the country and I don't think there are too many who'd disagree.
    Thats a valid opinion.

No problem with you saying that. I can see why a lot of people don't like him. He mouths a lot, but he has a tough time of it.

I don't think he's been awarded a free since about 2006. Referee's don't like him, mainly for his mouthing, and he suffers because of that.

A lot of the shít he gets into, is in protection of the smaller forwards like Gooch, when they are getting extra treatment off the ball. He's like an enforcer.

He's a mouth, but I disagree that he looks to wind up other players, and he is the opposite of sneaky. If Donaghy is getting involved in something its going to be out there, no underhandedness about it.

Thats just my opinion.

EDIT: On topic. Ye are motering this year. Huge panel very strong, very fit. Looked like ye had 3 extra players on the pitch today.
    Kerry were very poor, but that takes nothing away from Dublin. The score was bad enough, but if Andrews had kept his shot in the first half either side of Kealy, and if Brogan hadn't missed that soft free, the score could have really got out of hand.

As I said on the Kerry thread, don't think i've seen a worse 35 minutes out of Kerry as I saw in the first half. Great Dublin crowd down in Killarney, fair play to those who travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Thats a valid opinion.

No problem with you saying that. I can see why a lot of people don't like him. He mouths a lot, but he has a tough time of it.

I don't think he's been awarded a free since about 2006. Referee's don't like him, mainly for his mouthing, and he suffers because of that.

A lot of the shít he gets into, is in protection of the smaller forwards like Gooch, when they are getting extra treatment off the ball. He's like an enforcer.

He's a mouth, but I disagree that he looks to wind up other players, and he is the opposite of sneaky. If Donaghy is getting involved in something its going to be out there, no underhandedness about it.

Thats just my opinion.

EDIT: On topic. Ye are motering this year. Huge panel very strong, very fit. Looked like ye had 3 extra players on the pitch today.
    Kerry were very poor, but that takes nothing away from Dublin. The score was bad enough, but if Andrews had kept his shot in the first half either side of Kealy, and if Brogan hadn't missed that soft free, the score could have really got out of hand.

As I said on the Kerry thread, don't think i've seen a worse 35 minutes out of Kerry as I saw in the first half. Great Dublin crowd down in Killarney, fair play to those who travelled.

Agree complety, Kerry played quite dirty at times aswell especially that goal chance when they where on top of cluxton think they mixed up rugby and gaa:D

• Advertisement

Yeah, agree with you. We were cynical from the get go, fouling here there and everywhere, because we were second to the ball every time.

Only way we could slow ye down for a while was to drag ye down.

Early days yet though.

Kerry were flying in the league last year and we all know how the year went after that.

Still think Dublin will have the motivation, the strength and the fitness to go all the way this year. If ye match Donegal's physicality, I think ye have more then enough football in ye to win out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Whats the story with Barry Cahill ?

Is he out of favour or injured or just too many younger players ? at 31 , he still had some good games when he was palyed last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Courtesy of da Indo "DUBLIN piled the pressure on Kerry boss Eamonn Fitzmaurice with a 13 point rout in Killarney despite being reduced to 41-men early in the second half." ... well that explains it !! ... well maybe not the extra few points :D

Very encouraging in fairness, lots of fluidity in their play and comfortable in possession. I've been a supporter for the cause of Paddy Andrews for a year or so now, and I'm hoping he can retain both the form and his health - I think he can prove to be every bit as effective as Bernard in the forward line. It's beginning to look as tho Gavins biggest problem will be picking his best 15 (well getting them down to 26 is a problem in itself).

It's hard to judge Kerry, suffice to say that 2 poor performances to start the year will have some lads and supporters looking over their shoulder, but as others have said they put 6 points on Dubs in Croker this time last year, lost their next game at home to Armagh, who were in turn hammered by Dublin.

The league is what it is, in Dubs and Kerrys case getting to grips with the new managements philosophies, building fitness and new styles of play. Come rounds 5,6, & 7 I'd expect to see an upturn in Kerrys performance and hopefully our lads secure a semi berth. Whatever the merits of the strong league campaign are, there's no doubt that the finalists do tend to be involved at the backend of the championship.

Best of luck to Kickhams next week, then bring on Mayo ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Donaghy is well know amongst all players for continuously trying to wind people up for reaction. Will say anything about anyone to try and create one, including disgusting shameful stuff about their family's. It's worked in the past and seen many an incident break out, so Dublin would have been aware and as bad as what he does can be shouldn't have reacted. Similarly Connolly getting a yellow early for mouthing to the ref when he let yet another rugby tackle on a Dublin forward go was stupid also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The goal Craig Dias got was clearly a free-out as Craig Dias had pushed Marc O'Sé in the back knocking him over before running in for the pass before goaling however the referee allowed it to stand, it had no bearing on the outcome but it just showed more inconsistent refereeing which is happening all too frequently especially when Dublin and Kerry meet. If a Kerry player had done something similar you can be sure the whistle would have sounded.

copacetic wrote: »
    Donaghy is well know amongst all players for continuously trying to wind people up for reaction. Will say anything about anyone to try and create one, including disgusting shameful stuff about their family's. It's worked in the past and seen many an incident break out, so Dublin would have been aware and as bad as what he does can be shouldn't have reacted. Similarly Connolly getting a yellow early for mouthing to the ref when he let yet another rugby tackle on a Dublin forward go was stupid also.
    Care to back any of what you said up with evidence?

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    The goal Craig Dias got was clearly a free-out as Craig Dias had pushed Marc O'Sé in the back knocking him over before running in for the pass before goaling however the referee allowed it to stand, it had no bearing on the outcome but it just showed more inconsistent refereeing which is happening all too frequently especially when Dublin and Kerry meet. If a Kerry player had done something similar you can be sure the whistle would have sounded.

Kerry played dirty the entire match:rolleyes: did you not see them try to score a goal all pushing and getting on top of cluxton:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Report from the match yesterday if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/national-league-kerry-vs-dublin-report/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Kerry played dirty the entire match:rolleyes: did you not see them try to score a goal all pushing and getting on top of cluxton:rolleyes:
    That wouldnt strike me as a logical way for Dublin to try score a goal?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I think Donaghy is becoming a problem for Kerry.

Yesterday he spent more time starting rows with Dublin players and arguing with the referee than making an actual playing contribution.

At one stage just after the sending-off he was complaining to the ref about Cluxton taking too long with a kick-out. By the time we were into injury time and the Dubs were toying with Kerry, Donaghy was signalling to the ref to blow up as he had enough.

I would agree that he is one of the most disliked players in the country but that doesn't stop the likes of Ger Brennan who is similarly disliked and targetted from getting on and playing the game. A few seasons ago Brennan got caught up in the same sort of stuff, getting involved in incidents and being sent off, mouthing at the ref etc. He has since settled down, concentrated on the football and become a much better player.

As a Dubs supporter I am happy to see Donaghy continue on his self-destructive path but it is a pity to see someone waste that talent.

Ger Brennan is a gentleman and a scholar.

• Advertisement

Ger Brennan is a gentleman and a scholar.

indeed .. he's a schoolteacher :)

DoctaDee wrote: »
    indeed .. he's a schoolteacher :)
    No friendlier fella you could ever hope to meet. Won't have a bad word said about him.

No friendlier fella you could ever hope to meet. Won't have a bad word said about him.

LOL.. good man Cormac .. sure ya know yerself when ya give a dog a bad name !

LOL.. good man Cormac .. sure ya know yerself when ya give a dog a bad name !
    Ha, fair point, they're easily collected as I only know too well. But no, a tough man on the field, but I honestly never came across a more decent skin than Ger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Very pleased with our start to the league, albeit both Cork and Kerry were very below par and off the pace, mid February doesn't disclose form of the months ahead. But in terms of the young lads coming through I'm very impressed, Gavin seems to have them well drilled and all working from the same graft sheet.

Bernard Brogan looks to have his no nonsense attitude back again also after his world tour during the early season last year. Paddy Andrews has established a whole new dimension to the player I seen a couple of seasons back aswell.

As I said above its early days and summer is still a distance away but this time last year we were looking at the obvious and evident hangover which had me all irky going forward.

Also must say I'm impressed with what I have seen of Kildare so far, in the pools thread I called them as one of the relegated as I felt maybe the bulk of the squad had run its course. I'm looking very wrong on that call and look forward to the fixture against them, should be a great clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mad to see this thread languishing all the way back on page three (oi oi!) - I would have thought with the start to the season the Dubs would have been a bit more vocal!

Anyway, a fellow boardsie of ours has written his first piece for LiveGaelic if anyone would care to take a gander - it's a preview of the Dublin vs Mayo match this weekend so may be of some interest:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-dublin-vs-mayo/

Delighted the league is back again even if it hasn't been going well from a Kerry POV. One of the highlights so far has been watching some of Dublin's less established players - both the young lads and the older guys - settling in, add Ciaran Kilkenny to the mix and I'm very much looking forward to seeing this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

keane2097 wrote: »
    Mad to see this thread languishing all the way back on page three (oi oi!) - I would have thought with the start to the season the Dubs would have been a bit more vocal!

Anyway, a fellow boardsie of ours has written his first piece for LiveGaelic if anyone would care to take a gander - it's a preview of the Dublin vs Mayo match this weekend so may be of some interest:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-dublin-vs-mayo/

Delighted the league is back again even if it hasn't been going well from a Kerry POV. One of the highlights so far has been watching some of Dublin's less established players - both the young lads and the older guys - settling in, add Ciaran Kilkenny to the mix and I'm very much looking forward to seeing this one.
    dublin seem to be playing good football. delighted for gavin from a point of view the pressure on him must be unbearable....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Baz IRL

Does any1 know if they still give student discount on tickets for the dubs games and if so how much ar they?

has the team for Saturday been announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Don't think so but Mayo have named a decent team. 11 of them were on the field in the semi last year.

MAYO (SF v Dublin): K O'Malley; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; J Gibbons, B Moran; K McLoughlin, A O'Shea, R Feeney; E Varley, J Doherty, M Conroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Here ya go.

Cluxton, Daly, O'Brien, Cooper, Nelson, Brennan, McCaffrey, O'Mahony O'Sullivan, Flynn, Brady, Reddan, Andrews, Connolly, B Brogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Honestly am I the only dublin fan who would drop Connolly in a heart beat?

To risky for my liken!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Baz IRL wrote: »
    Does any1 know if they still give student discount on tickets for the dubs games and if so how much ar they?

You pay full price (€13) for a Cusack/Davin ticket. You'll get €5 back when you enter the stadium through Block D of the Cusask Stand turnstiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Dublin have joined up with the Gibson Hotel to be the official hotel of Dublin GAA.
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/725419/

Good to see more stuff like this no matter how small. Kildare fans will no doubt see this as unfair and demand some money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Here ya go.

Cluxton, Daly, O'Brien, Cooper, Nelson, Brennan, McCaffrey, O'Mahony O'Sullivan, Flynn, Brady, Reddan, Andrews, Connolly, B Brogan

Be changes to that 15 before throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Weak looking back 6

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

but1er wrote: »
    Honestly am I the only dublin fan who would drop Connolly in a heart beat?

To risky for my liken!

No. There are more than a few of us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Plenty of Dublin players a highly admire but I cannot stand Connolly he has moments of madness that he should be ashamed of. Not a dub but I wouldn't want him representing Dublin he is just wreckless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Weak looking back 6

Went to the game tonight (I am a neutral as from Galway) and was hugely impressed with Daly & McCaffrey for Dublin. Daly in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I came here looking to hear Dublin thoughts on last nights match.

Obviously no one is interested, its all some silly stuff about Kildare

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've deleted all the posts about Kildare - this is a Dublin GAA thread, if there is a topic like that, start a new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wonder is Ger Brennan close to losing his starting place.I like him as a footballer and his combatitiveness is one of his strengths but he seems far too likely to get sent off and it could cost Dublin in a big game.If I was a manager of Dublins opposition him I'd tell my players wind him up all day in the hope he'd lose his cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I wonder is Ger Brennan close to losing his starting place.I like him as a footballer and his combatitiveness is one of his strengths but he seems far too likely to get sent off and i could cost Dublin inabig game.If i was a manager of Dublins opposition him I'd tell my players wind him up all day in the hope he'd lose his cool.

He does seem a bit of a liability alright. He has had really serious discipline issues since I remember him coming on the scene.

The little kick at a player lying on the ground was pretty thuggish behaviour. I know it was only a small kick but even still... why do such a stupid thing? I dont think the Mayo players really wound him that much last night!

He does seem a bit of a liability alright. He has had really serious discipline issues since I remember him coming on the scene.

The little kick at a player lying on the ground was pretty thuggish behaviour. I know it was only a small kick but even still... why do such a stupid thing? I dont think the Mayo players really wound him that much last night!

No qualms about Ger Brennan getting red but to say he wasnt been wound up is not true and Mayo used this tactic last night and it worked. Aidan O Shea in particular was constantly pulling and dragging from the throw in and was a lot of this going on off the ball. Dublin were trying to play Football. Not sure if this was seen on TV but he was at it all night trying to get Dublin players booked.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Ger, that was a proper red card - a thump a kick and an elbow :D . I was very encouraged with Dubs performance last night, was a strange scoring affair with each scoring in blocks of 4-5 points. The last few years in the league we looked at lads like Daly & Murray from St. Brigids amongst others, knowing that at the tail end of the year they wouldn't be seen. I have to say that Daly, O'Brien were exceptional last night, and the lads returning to the back 6 McCarthy, Philly McM and Kevin Nolan, may find these lads aren't gonna be makeweights. If Gavin is true to his word and picks a jersey based on performance these lads will have a big say this Summer.

After a slow start I think O'Mahony showed great potential, great work effort and distribution in the middle. I really am gonna have to dig out that post of mine a year or so back extolling the virtues of Paddy Andrews another great night for him and Bernard. There would seem to be a much better understanding between those 2 in the short time they've played together than say the like of Connolly

In fairness to Ger, that was a proper red card - a thump a kick and an elbow :D . I was very encouraged with Dubs performance last night, was a strange scoring affair with each scoring in blocks of 4-5 points. The last few years in the league we looked at lads like Daly & Murray from St. Brigids amongst others, knowing that at the tail end of the year they wouldn't be seen. I have to say that Daly, O'Brien were exceptional last night, and the lads returning to the back 6 McCarthy, Philly McM and Kevin Nolan, may find these lads aren't gonna be makeweights. If Gavin is true to his word and picks a jersey based on performance these lads will have a big say this Summer.

After a slow start I think O'Mahony showed great potential, great work effort and distribution in the middle. I really am gonna have to dig out that post of mine a year or so back extolling the virtues of Paddy Andrews another great night for him and Bernard. There would seem to be a much better understanding between those 2 in the short time they've played together than say the like of Connolly

Agree on Paddy Andrews and he had another great game last night. He has been up there as player of the league campaign so far. He makes some great bursting runs and is looking fitter that he ever has and made a lot of scores last night.

exador wrote: »
    Agree on Paddy Andrews and he had another great game last night. He has been up there as player of the league campaign so far. He makes some great bursting runs and is looking fitter that he ever has and made a lot of scores last night.

Absolutely, the lad can be forgiven the past year or 2 coming back from serious injury, he covered every blade of grass last night. I think at one stage he was in the full back line collecting a pass from Cluxton. This team has serious potential, in particular their speed of play and the manner in which they are altering attacks with clever switching of play, and excellent use of the foot pass was evident last night.

Gavins biggest problem will be chiselling the group down to 26 players, let alone finding a starting 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Absolutely, the lad can be forgiven the past year or 2 coming back from serious injury, he covered every blade of grass last night. I think at one stage he was in the full back line collecting a pass from Cluxton. This team has serious potential, in particular their speed of play and the manner in which they are altering attacks with clever switching of play, and excellent use of the foot pass was evident last night.

Gavins biggest problem will be chiselling the group down to 26 players, let alone finding a starting 15

Who had a serious injury??

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He has been very controlled for the last few years. Totally changed his game around. Last night O'Shea was constantly niggling him off the ball and then falling to the ground to appeal to the ref when he got a little back. Brennan deslt well with him and O'Shea was ruining his own game rather than Brennan. I thought Brennan had learned a lot from past problems, but he clearly let it get to him as game went on. The little kick at the ball was just stupid. You have to expect players to make the most of any excuse to act injured now, especially Mayo.

As for Vaughan, he charged in looking for trouble and he got it then lay down 'injured'. Similar to what he did to Connolly last year, threw the first punch, then dives when he gets one back. Stupid again from Brennan to get involved with a known cheating play actor.

Either way he was going for the first kick at the ball, although ref didn't appear to care until the crowd reacted.

Great display from rest of team from then on against a tight enough fouling defence when the ref was letting all pulling and dragging go (for both teams). Great displays all over the park, O'Mahony and O'Sullivan looked a little slow and lost a lot of ball early on, but as game went on O'Mahony won a lot of high ball and O'Sullivan hoovered everything up as well as making the wide runs for kick outs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement