Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Are tickets sold out or something? Can't get any off ticketmaster or tickets.ie?

EDIT: Got them, not particularly great seats, this must be heading close to a sell out

My brother had trouble on tickets.ie last night. Wasn't given an option for the terrace. I here unconfirmed reports that the Lower Cusack is sold out. Luckily I was able to avail of the Bring a friend option on the season ticket.

I'd assume most sections 303/304/>307 are reserved for season ticket holders and club members as it the Hill. I'm sure the bandwagon brigade with clog up the social media sites with the "I go to all the games" line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Monaghan and Tyrone will both bring huge followings.

It will 100% be a sellout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why dont the dublin and cork footballers put there match off til sunday 11th august and play as triple header on that day

12.00- All Ireland Minor Semi Final- Kilkenny vs Waterford
    2.00- All Ireland Senoir Football Quarter Final- Dublin vs Cork
    4.00- All Ireland Senoir Hurling Semi Final- Dublin vs Cork

that way fans from Cork dont have to travel up 2 weekends in a row and it would also give Waterford/Kilkenny supporters the chance to see Top class football action in Croke Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Monaghan and Tyrone will both bring huge followings.

It will 100% be a sellout.

Early indication of a 60,000+ attendance will be the upper tiers opening, until then it's a grushy for the lower level seats ... unless you have your Season Ticket/Parnell Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

PTH2009 wrote: »
    why dont the dublin and cork footballers put there match off til sunday 11th august and play as triple header on that day

12.00- All Ireland Minor Semi Final- Kilkenny vs Waterford
    2.00- All Ireland Senoir Football Quarter Final- Dublin vs Cork
    4.00- All Ireland Senoir Hurling Semi Final- Dublin vs Cork

that way fans from Cork dont have to travel up 2 weekends in a row and it would also give Waterford/Kilkenny supporters the chance to see Top class football action in Croke Park

To late for April fools and stupid statements

PTH2009 wrote: »
    why dont the dublin and cork footballers put there match off til sunday 11th august and play as triple header on that day............

...........Waterford/Kilkenny supporters the chance to see Top class football action in Croke Park

There's Dublin hurling fans that don't want to see football on that day!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I can see us running riot against cork, they're not playing well and counihan doesn't know his best 15. Added to that for cork to win I think they need to play with plenty of players behind the ball. As they pointed out on the SG, their defensive system lacked intensity and will need to be taken up a few levels to complete.

With that said the two teams playing on Saturday are probably the two most talented squads in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I can see us running riot against cork, they're not playing well and counihan doesn't know his best 15. Added to that for cork to win I think they need to play with plenty of players behind the ball. As they pointed out on the SG, their defensive system lacked intensity and will need to be taken up a few levels to complete.

With that said the two teams playing on Saturday are probably the two most talented squads in the country.
    i fear the same.Counihan has not a got clue,the players have no idea what system to play,and it was just sheer heart,courage,got us over Galway.

Wont be enough against Dublin.We probably be blitzed in the first half,produce a great comeback,and loose by four or five.

Our team is named Wed night,it will tell a lot.Any changes ye think in yere team?

I hope Connolly and O Gara start ,as their wasteful at times and are prone to do stupid things,and could even be sent off.

Flynn im a big fan of,a superb player,shared a flat with Aidan Walsh this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

They also have no clue what their best 15 is. Kissane, Kerrigan, Kelly & O'Connor all came on the last day to pretty much rescue Cork out of a bad spot. Now the big question is if they should start the next day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

i fear the same.Counihan has not a got clue,the players have no idea what system to play,and it was just sheer heart,courage,got us over Galway.

I can't agree with that at all. You watch Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo, 2011 Dublin, the players work like dogs chasing the ball and putting pressure on the man in possession. Pat Gilroy said it himself there's nothing too technical about it, if a man enters your area of the pitch you tackle him. Against Galway all too often Cork players wandered back and made half hearted, if any, attempts to put pressure on the man.

I'm far from a counihan fan but the players aren't blameless. A ten minute spurt nearing the end of the game shouldn't hide the fact they've become a lazy team. They're a side screaming low morale.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be underestimating Cork lads.

CC has no clue what he's doing but they're still a dangerous side full of talent.

It's not a forgone conclusion by any means and I will be there expecting a difficult and close game.

Wont be enough against Dublin.We probably be blitzed in the first half,produce a great comeback,and loose by four or five.

Our team is named Wed night,it will tell a lot.Any changes ye think in yere team?

I hope Connolly and O Gara start ,as their wasteful at times and are prone to do stupid things,and could even be sent off.

Flynn im a big fan of,a superb player,shared a flat with Aidan Walsh this year.

Connolly should start, Andrews will be fit so I reckon he'll play full forward with Bernard and mannion either side. Big dilemma for Jim Gavin is to start bastick although I think he's a better impact player.

Agree Flynn's a top player, has it all really, when he plays anywhere near his best we prosper.

corny wrote: »
    I can't agree with that at all. You watch Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo, 2011 Dublin, the players work like dogs chasing the ball and putting pressure on the man in possession. Pat Gilroy said it himself there's nothing too technical about it, if a man enters your area of the pitch you tackle him. Against Galway all too often Cork players wandered back and made half hearted, if any, attempts to put pressure on the man.

I'm far from a counihan fan but the players aren't blameless. A ten minute spurt nearing the end of the game shouldn't hide the fact they've become a lazy team. They're a side screaming low morale.

I have seen training this year,and matches,Cork are a team totally disorganised.The players clearly have out grown him,and while we may question how good they can be,the fact is the manager is the main reason were in this mess,by picking the wrong players in the wrong positions.

Of course heart and courage won it saturday.We have always showed that,main reason we won in 2010,was not due to better football.

We were played of the park saturday,Galway tired,we had a bench and never gave up.That is only why we won.

Dublin wont tire and have a bench.

Aidan walsh at CF says it all.Sheehan full forward,and gets no ball.Compare to our hurlers.JBM Ihas less talent,but has a system,and belief instilled in the players.

Our hurlers with no panel and less talent,are in a much better position to win the all ireland outright,than the footballers are just to beat Dublin on Saturday alone.

I wouldn't be underestimating Cork lads.

CC has no clue what he's doing but they're still a dangerous side full of talent.

It's not a forgone conclusion by any means and I will be there expecting a difficult and close game.

I have to agree with ya here .. there's a niggle here in my head that Cork will find "that" performance - much like Kerry & Tyrone have done previously when common consensus was they were done and dusted.

Corny stated that Cork were lazy in their defending and this I feel is the crux of it. Man to man defending is a very simple concept, Counihan isn't bamboozling them with scientific babble of space and margins, look at yer match up start of the game and follow him tirelessly. Jack Mc had his most influential game in the league against Cork for this very reason, he was allowed wander wherever he wanted.

So forget Counihan for the minute, the onus is on the players to perform at the level required against a team that can seriously hurt them given the opportunities. I don't think it's a huge leap of faith to believe the Rebels can stitch a great performance from the squad at their disposal - they can't afford to be a 2nd half team or a last 10 minute team tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If morale is low, surely some of that lies with the management. Look at the Dublin hurlers under Daly in the last few games, or Limerick under John Allen. Super intensity and aggression, but that's not something that can be turned on like a tap, it comes from training throughout the year and managers getting through to players and getting more out of players than players thought they had in themselves.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If morale is low, surely some of that lies with the management. Look at the Dublin hurlers under Daly in the last few games, or Limerick under John Allen. Super intensity and aggression, but that's not something that can be turned on like a tap, it comes from training throughout the year and managers getting through to players and getting more out of players than players thought they had in themselves.
    couldnt agree more.

If Cork manage a one of game in defiance of Counihan,we wont beat Kerry ,or win the all ireland.To win 3 games,you need a game plan thats refined not put together in the start of august.

Hidalgo wrote: »

Absolutely. Like i said i'm not a CC apologist.

My feeling is the players are weary of him and as a result their commitment in playing for him isn't what it could or should be. You see it all the time in sport. The Chelsea footballers for example. They decide when they want to play for a coach.

Saying heart and courage won the day for Cork isn't consistent with what i saw for the first 60. I saw players unwilling to work hard in attack and defence. If a player runs past you shouldn't need the manager to tell you you should probably make an effort in chasing or tackling him. The piece on the Sunday Game demonstrated how idle players were in defence. Blaming that on tactical naivety is a complete cop out.

I'd also agree that should the Cork lads actually apply themselves for the 70 they're a real threat to Dublin. But, based on experience of these things, i think thats unlikely to happen Saturday. Anyway, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

couldnt agree more.

If Cork manage a one of game in defiance of Counihan,we wont beat Kerry ,or win the all ireland.To win 3 games,you need a game plan thats refined not put together in the start of august.

I know that they have lost some players, but this is a team full of winners of the 2010 AI. They were the favorites last year. I think that if they play to their potential they could beat Dublin, I don't think it would be a one off type situation. This cork team have wrapped up B and A Brogan, Connelly, Cullen, MDMC, Bastic, Brennan, McCarthy, Cluxton, O'Carrol in the past.

I don't think they will do it on Saturday but I think they have the ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Andrews fit for Saturday but reports say could be on bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Andrews fit for Saturday but reports say could be on bench

If true, then wouldn't mind seeing Rock get the nod ahead of O Gara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wont be on this forum for the match, just like to wish the Dubs all the best, keep our composer and keep playing the way we have been playing so far this year and we will surely beat the Rebel county, up the dubs :-) and may the hill be with you.

Is brogan out for Saturday or is it just a rumour?

Is brogan out for Saturday or is it just a rumour?

Haven't heard that ... all the talk seems to be of Dean Rock starting, presumably in place of Paddy Andrews - "maybe" it's BB being sarcrificed who knows.

I think that if BB is to return to his effective best - this is the game he needs, horses for courses and Bernard has had his fair amount of success against the Cork back line. Likewise Paddy Andrews, he had a smashing game in the league and those 2 lads could flourish on Saturday against an unsure Cork back line - as good a player as Michael Shields is further out the field, I'd question him in a 1 to 1 on either of those lads

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Haven't heard that ... all the talk seems to be of Dean Rock starting, presumably in place of Paddy Andrews - "maybe" it's BB being sarcrificed who knows.

I think that if BB is to return to his effective best - this is the game he needs, horses for courses and Bernard has had his fair amount of success against the Cork back line. Likewise Paddy Andrews, he had a smashing game in the league and those 2 lads could flourish on Saturday against an unsure Cork back line - as good a player as Michael Shields is further out the field, I'd question him in a 1 to 1 on either of those lads

I thought as much,it was on the radio.

Mannion and Kilkenny could do us untold damage with flynn.

Shields be fine,cadogan is a big worry,he not fit.

I hope the weather today is the same for sunday,the rain and heavy conditons will suit or slow game,and wont allow ye place at pace or a fast tempo.It will give us hope.

I hope the weather today is the same for sunday,the rain and heavy conditons will suit or slow game,and wont allow ye place at pace or a fast tempo.It will give us hope.

Bernard brogan keeps showing off his hideous new warrior boot so twitter so I doubt he's out

• Advertisement

Jaysis youse are getting as bad as yer neighbours for cute hoorisms :P ... it maybe true @ Brogan Thinkstoomuch I really dunno. I'd like to see Canty & O'Neill in midfield with Aidan Walsh half back, Goulding & Kerrigan corner backs.. secret to Corks gameplan is right players in the right place :D

Dropping BB would be fully justified imo but given his past success vs Cork it would be surprising to see it actually happen.

I'd definitely find a place for Rock though. Probably at No.14 if Andrews isn't fit enough. O'Gara gets lost if he's in the starting 15, much better from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Dropping BB would be fully justified imo but given his past success vs Cork it would be surprising to see it actually happen.

I'd definitely find a place for Rock though. Probably at No.14 if Andrews isn't fit enough. O'Gara gets lost if he's in the starting 15, much better from the bench.

I would agree with you . I think BB has had a bad year by his standards but he does have form against Cork so lets hope we see the old Bernard back on Saturday .
    I think O' Gara is the better option for a game that will be tough and physical but Cork will allow some space so Rock would get the nod over O' Gara .

Jaysis youse are getting as bad as yer neighbours for cute hoorisms :P ... it maybe true @ Brogan Thinkstoomuch I really dunno. I'd like to see Canty & O'Neill in midfield with Aidan Walsh half back, Goulding & Kerrigan corner backs.. secret to Corks gameplan is right players in the right place :D

No honesty,its just my beliefs.Since may,i have been consistent with my views about cork ,and said Counihan would cost us games.

I got a notion of madness and said we would beat Kerry if picked the best team.

Dublin are weak with ,daly,brennan,connolly and o gara,and for all mcaffery strengths going forward,he can be weak at times in defence, and cork have every chance,but then when u factor ,counihan in,it takes that away.

It a reflection of cork under counihan,that we travel in hope,than confidence on Saturday.

A little sympathy for BB. Don't think he worked as hard as he should off the ball last day but he's always picked up by the best defender, sometimes two.

Mannion had a good game against Meath but lord knows what BB would have done in open space against Mickey Burke.

I'd never drop him.

• Advertisement

A little sympathy for BB. Don't think he worked as hard as he should off the ball last day but he's always picked up by the best defender, sometimes two.

Mannion had a good game against Meath but lord knows what BB would have done in open space against Mickey Burke.

I'd never drop him.

Yeah this is a fair point, teams ganging up on BB creates more space for Mannion, which he has benefited from quite handsomely.

Think Kilkenny if he plays like he has so far will run Canty ragged too.

Connolly is due a performance too.

COYBIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Think the talk of Brogan being out, refers to Alan not being available for selection due to his recent hamstring strain, not Bernard.

No way BB is gonna be dropped, no matter how much he does or does not score imo. The mere fact that he is on the pitch & what he could do, regardless of whether or not he actually does it, occupies the minds and time of 2-3 defenders, if he so much as looks at a ball. That leaves other forwards to make all the hay that they want. Think that people are losing sight of that.

Yeah this is a fair point, teams ganging up on BB creates more space for Mannion, which he has benefited from quite handsomely.

Think Kilkenny if he plays like he has so far will run Canty ragged too.

Connolly is due a performance too.

COYBIB.

The talk in Cork,is Kissane will start,and mark Kilkenny.A dissaster for Cork.

Loughrey is the man for the job.Pace to burn.

Im not sure about Connolly.I hope as a cork man he starts.He has the ability but he's temperament is suspect.Could score a lot,but quite easily be sent off or miss a load.

I wouldnt be too worried about him.Mannion,brogan,kilkenny and flynn are the biggest dangers.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Think the talk of Brogan being out, refers to Alan not being available for selection due to his recent hamstring strain, not Bernard.

No way BB is gonna be dropped, no matter how much he does or does not score imo. The mere fact that he is on the pitch & what he could do, regardless of whether or not he actually does it, occupies the minds and time of 2-3 defenders, if he so much as looks at a ball. That leaves other forwards to make all the hay that they want. Think that people are losing sight of that.

Yep, people read the silly hogan stand headline but not the story and start spreading the rumours.

Bernard has been carrying a groin injury for the last few months, still playing ok despite taking the best marker and usually a double team. He is a big part of the reason the other forwards and Mannion have good space.

It will be interesting to see who Cork put Shields on and whether they try to close down Mannion more, thus freeing up Bernard. It would be good to see him chip in 2 or 3 from play and ease himself back in to form.

The talk in Cork,is Kissane will start,and mark Kilkenny.A dissaster for Cork.

Loughrey is the man for the job.Pace to burn.

Im not sure about Connolly.I hope as a cork man he starts.He has the ability but he's temperament is suspect.Could score a lot,but quite easily be sent off or miss a load.

I wouldnt be too worried about him.Mannion,brogan,kilkenny and flynn are the biggest dangers.

Lol. Surely even Counihan is not that stupid?

Same starting 15 as Meath match. O'Gara keeps the 14 jersey.

Cluxton O'Brien O'Carroll Cooper McCarthy Brennan McCaffrey O'Sullivan McAuley Flynn Kilkenny Connolly Mannion O'Gara Brogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Shocked and a little disappointed that he's kept his place.
    He was anonymous lto.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Shocked and a little disappointed that he's kept his place.
    He was anonymous lto.
    Agreed would've given Paddy a run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Same, O Gara better off the bench as an impact.

Same starting 15 as Meath match. O'Gara keeps the 14 jersey.
    That means cadogan ,is likely to go on him,on the basis he done well on Michael Murphy.

Im suprised with that move,and not concerned about that.Cadogan is not fit,but should be okay here.

Id rather shields on Brogan.But that the problem,with our dummy team we dont know.Jamie sullivan could well start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Is Paddy Andrews fully fit ? If he is I hope he gets a decent run

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not overly surprised the team has not been changed. O'gara did ok off the ball without doing much with it. Won plenty of frees too. He also takes serious looking after, and varies the defenders required to look afte the full forward line. Taking away the option of cork putting a big man closer to mannion or brogan to dish out punishment early on.

The only concern with the unchanged team is that we can't get everyone on the pitch later. We would be struggling once any injuries happen to defenders, or Brennan needs replacing due to legs going late on. I.e we won't be able to spring all of Bastick, McMenanman, Andrews, Rock and Cullen on if we have to hold lut and bring Daly and say Devereaux to shore up halfbacks late on. Most likely Andrews and Cullen would lose out in that case as they don't have the proven impact.

Nerves are building up now...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

O'Gara and Brogan did fantastic against Cork in the semis three years ago. I have every faith in the forward line selected

exador wrote: »
    Is Paddy Andrews fully fit ? If he is I hope he gets a decent run

There were injury concerns pre Meath match but my understanding is that Paddy has been involved in full training sessions. I can only assume it's the form at the training sessions that O'Gara has staked his claim on. Whilst preferring Andrews to O'Gara I wouldn't be that critical of his performance against Meath solely on the basis they were starved of quick supply ball in the 1st half with the midfield cleaned out. Saturday is gonna be no easier with Walsh & O'Neill I'd imagine patrolling the middle.

What concerns me now is that Rock seems to be O'Garas natural replacement so the llikelihood of Andrews getting game time is reduced further.

It "could" be a ploy to ensure Cadogan starts in the back line as O'Garas marker then switch to PA before throw in ..wishful thinking on my part I know!

Happy enough with the team really. Rock, Andrews, Bastick etc etc can all come in if needed. Then again Cork have strong subs to call upon too.

I'm expecting a close match, even with a poor manager Cork are a strong outfit.

In the Hill for this one, hope thats not a bad sign as the last time we played Cork and I was in the Hill my heart was broken. :(

COYBIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think O'Gara will be fine. His frame and style may suit this game more that the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

O'garas named but I'd be surprised to see him start tomorrow. Expect Andrews to be a late replacement with o'gara dropping to the bench.

I'm hating feeling this optimistic going into a game, particularly against cork as we struggle to put them away regardless of how dominant we are against them. If I was a neutral looking at the year so far you'd nearly say the bookies are being generous to cork by only giving them 3 pts, should be more, but it is cork and they love putting it to us in Croker.

I'm goin to say we beat the handicap and hoping Brogan has some sort of return to form to give Kerry some headaches in the semi:D

Ps Loving Mannion this year...what an addition to the options up top

That means cadogan ,is likely to go on him,on the basis he done well on Michael Murphy.

Im suprised with that move,and not concerned about that.Cadogan is not fit,but should be okay here.

Id rather shields on Brogan.But that the problem,with our dummy team we dont know.Jamie sullivan could well start.

I can see where yer coming from with the match up on a big full forward, but to my thinking O'Gara performs a far more mobile role than just the big lad on the edge of the square. The love for O'Gara thru both his injuries and suspension began under Gilroys reign - this lad was consistently proven to be the fittest player in the squad. In the intervening years his football skills have improved greatly. If Cadogan isn't as fit as he should be I think there's a big problem for Cork. Ta

Ticket websites are displaying the hurling semi final as a 1.30 throw in. I presume it'll be half 3 as per usual and they're just waiting on the CCC to confirm?

• Advertisement

Ticket websites are displaying the hurling semi final as a 1.30 throw in. I presume it'll be half 3 as per usual and they're just waiting on the CCC to confirm?

Think it's actually a 3.30 throw in AFAIK

Advertisement