Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 DubRos

Minor match starts at 1.30. Seniors at 3.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Lads,

Can I just say I'm worried about both Cork games.

I really hope I'm wrong but going into a game against Cork as Favourites scares me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

coolisin wrote: »
    Lads,

I really hope I'm wrong but going into a game against Cork as Favourites scares me.

I agree with you. I'm never too comfortable going to a Dublin football game when we're favorites or hyped up or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Lads,

Yea, Tyrone 2008 and Kerry 2009 spring to mind. We can ill afford the slow starts we had against both Kildare and Meath and definitely some of the loose defending we seen in the Meath game in particular has to be addressed. Despite all this 'Clueless Counihan' talk, Cork are a dangerous prospect with excellent experienced players. An All-Ireland and 3 league titles on the trot in the past 3 years (where we have been direct casualties on their pursuit of some of them titles.) We're in for a hell of a game and I'm praying we get the good start I feel we really need.

Dublin by 4pts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads,

Can I juforay I'm worried about both Cork games.

BOOH!!!

If the Dublin back line is too small we'll find out tomorrow. If O'Sullivan is not working out at midfield we'll find out tomorrow.

Its early days for this system, my feeling for months has been that the team is too light at the back and lost too much height when fennell and Cahill left the panel.

Its good to watch though, hopefully we all get a good game to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah same as ... the difference between our losses to Kerry/Tyrone and Cork is that we were beaten out the gate by the other 2, but against Cork we were much the better team in both NFL and AISF ... and still lost !! :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I agree with you. I'm never too comfortable going to a Dublin football game when we're favorites or hyped up or whatever.

We couldn't help but be favourites, but there has been little enough hype as we laboured a little against Meath. The farcical mind games Donegal have drawn Mayo into has also taken the spotlight off our side of the draw altogether which has helped quite a bit.

copacetic wrote: »
    We couldn't help but be favourites, but there has been little enough hype as we laboured a little against Meath. The farcical mind games Donegal have drawn Mayo into has also taken the spotlight off our side of the draw altogether which has helped quite a bit.

I think Donegal have drawn themselves into too. I doubt there are too many Donegal supports enjoying this current round of talks, last year was all about a super team and a super system putting that into the opponent's head that nothing could save them from Donegal, it was all in Donegals hands.

Now its all who's going to save Donegal from these cynical Mayo men and poor officials,

we never did nothing to nobody!!

Stoner wrote: »
    I think Donegal have drawn themselves into too. I doubt there are too many Donegal supports enjoying this current round of talks, last year was all about a super team and a super system putting that into the opponent's head that nothing could save them from Donegal, it was all in Donegals hands.

Now its all who's going to save Donegal from these cynical Mayo men and poor officials,

we never did nothing to nobody!!

Sorry, yep I meant Donegals farcical mind games have drawn Mayo out a little in response. It's mind numbingly transparent and embarrassing for Donegal, but suits Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Tyrone etc just fine.

Well I'm wanting a win.
    Its the 09 and 08 games that I have in the back of my mind just has me worried.

Still here is hoping we give both games a good go and see what happens!

As said at least Donegal are taking the media away from overly building up the hype.

• Advertisement

VDzXQGcbWe are sorted lads, according to the Herald Colum McFadden is playing for us now, Seanie will be delighted
    http://db.tt/VDzXQGcb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Extremely nervous about today. I worry about how a fairly average Meath side were able to take us apart in the first half of that Leinster Final (a good Meath side would have gone in maybe a goal and three points more than they did). Cork have the players to exploit that sort of space. Our forwards will be the key to any potential victory as I suspect Cork will rack up a decent tally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

No you play winners of Donegal v Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

The much better team won.Congrulations to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done Dublin, good win but would rather we take the pts instead of going for the goals, Anyway delighted and hopefully we can beat them again next week :-)

And breathe!!

The lads need to look up pass the ball.
    But more importantly convert the chances we do get.

So hopefully there is a decent dublin crowd heading along next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Time for the Dublin hurlers to do the business in round 2. I know I'll be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Poor decisions from Gavin today Rock should of started in andrews place and put Cullen in mid

Today i think confirmed Brogan is Carrying some sort of injury hes a different player then the one cork met in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Today i think confirmed Brogan is Carrying some sort of injury hes a different player then the one cork met in the league

I don't think so. Brogan did everything brilliantly today bar putting the ball in the net or over the bar. He showed well in front of Shields and won a huge amount of dirty ball. He also set up Flynn for his goal chance and created a lovely score for KK. On another day he'd have had 1-4.

Connolly constantly showcasing his ability to slow up proceedings was more of a hindrance.

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Poor decisions from Gavin today Rock should of started in andrews place and put Cullen in mid

'Put Cullen in mid' what does this mean? Play Cullen in a position he can't play instead of MaCauley or Osullivan who both had stormers? Crazy.

Good win today despite a lot of problems. Surprisingly poor finishing across the full forward line. Bernard back to nearly his best on the ball but still not clicking with shooting, once he dropped two early chances short you knew he would struggle. Mannion very quiet and once we played Cullen and basically ended up with a 2+1 with interchangeable extra full forward we struggled a little inside.
    Connolly had some great work picking the ball up around the middle, but my god his distribution and decision making was shocking. He must have had 5 or 6 terrible passes off the end line. Can't afford that along with all the missed chances.

Great to be in the semi, but we have to start clicking properly and not have a different problem every game to fix afterward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Rock has to start against Kerry , O Gara or Connolly one of them should be sacrificed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Connolly first name off the team sheet for the next game.

What happened Mannion?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Delighted with that win today, just finished watching the Saturday game commentary and analysis there, been a long time since we beat Cork in the champo...should have been more with all those goal chances...great performance put in today by o'sullivan in the centre, in an area I thought Cork would have their best chance of a foothold in the game we dominated and Ciano was brilliant. MDMA also had a good game and was surprised to see him replaced. The defence did very well today and mc caffrey is a superstar in the making, just blistering pace...we really have a young team...really promising for the next few years...on the downside Connoly had a shocker, I can only think the reason he wasn't replaced was a decision taken by Gavin to not knock his confidence by hauling him off, in the hope he can bounce back straight away...he could afford to do that due to us never really feeling threatened in the game IMO

As an aside if you can watch the Saturday game on rte player Do, Brolly has an absolute ****fit after the Tyrone game...plenty of hyperbole as usual but spot on in my opinion...they couldn't calm him down and Lyster was nearly apologising on rte's behalf...classic...i went in for the first match and Tyrone were at the very same against us in the league...they go beyond cynicism...that being said they're a one man team and wouldn't cause us any problems, nor will they cause Donegal if they get through

Come on the boys next Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Mayo look a serious prospect this year, think its a good thing they're on the other side of the draw.

Dublin should be well capable of beating Kerry, comprehensibly beat them well in the league.

All eyes on the hurling now, what a boost it would be to get to the all Ireland final. Big weekend ahead

Im just glad we dont have Mayo next.
    they were immense today. Cant see them doing the same to Tyrone though.

The O'Shea v Kavanagh duel will be crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Good deal here for those who don't go through clubs or season tickets for their tickets.
    Both games for 40 (Hill tickets). Might boost next week's crowd. http://gaa.tickets.ie/

Tyrone are a good side but they won't have an answer if Mayo play with that intensity in the semi. They'll blow them away imo.

I was there today (free premium ticket:cool:) and while Kerry didn't push themselves i just can't see them being able to live with the pace of Dublin. Few of their players looked jaded after 45 minutes; and Cavan were pedestrian.

The inevitable Dublin V Mayo final is one step closer.

The only Kerry played i'd be seriously worried about is Darren O'Sullivan.
    And Cooper obviously when he's on a going day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I think Dublin will take kerry, too much for the kerry boys, there an aging team, that have limped into the SF. Dublin on full speed will destroy them.
    I tipped Dublin to win the AI this year since the demolition of all teams in the league series. and I stand by it....
    No team seemed to able to cope with the pressure they bring and they were enjoyable to watch, but after watching Mayo destroy every team in the championship, I may change that remark.
    I know mayo have tyrone but I see another score fest for the men from the west.
    So it looks to me like a dub v mayo final......
    May the best team win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

When are tickets for the Dublin vs Kerry game out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They are already on sale on tickets.ie

You can either buy individual tickets to the hurling or footy semi's, or you can buy a hurling/football combo ticket which gets you into both games.

It's 65 quid for a stand seat, or 40 quid for The Hill.

Here is hoping the dubs will get a great following next weekend.

65 blip aint bad for two semi final (hogan lower) tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Kerry will put a lot better high ball chances in against us than Cork and will by more clinical with finishing. Lot of people getting complacent and only seeing The Kingdom as a stepping stone to the final. Huge mistake imo. We did the same last year.

Dublin firing on about 75% though. If they can work on finishing those chances we could destroy anyone.

Mayo with a masterclass today. Glad we don't play them next.Tyrone to give them a physical game in the semi's. Hopefully now the spotlight moves to them after their performance against Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

ProudDUB wrote: »

You can either buy individual tickets to the hurling or footy semi's, or you can buy a hurling/football combo ticket which gets you into both games.

Thanks, gonna try and get tickets for the Hill now

ProudDUB wrote: »

Do normal concessions still apply with combo ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Really thought the kick passing of Paul Flynn was exceptional Kicks it so accurare n catchable Floats it into the forwards path

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Been tipping mayo since the league game, mist impressive team we have faced
    think its a year too soon for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I hope all the Dubs fans who post here will be out supporting the hurlers on Sunday as they need all the support they can get. Doubt the hill will be packed though as a lot of the sunshine and bandwagon supporters will stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Mayo were awesome yesterday, so full credit to them. Before the draw was made I was hoping for either Cavan or Donegal. Cavan because they aren't a genuine top 8 or even top 12-14 team. And Donegal because I was fairly confident we would whip them. In a way though if it was us who did that to the reigning AI champs the media hype would have gone into overdrive.

There are some tough games ahead but we beat all three teams that are left standing in the league (we beat Mayo comfortably twice), so I remain quietly confident that we can do the business and bring Sam back home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Psssst...we haven't faced Moran or Dillon in either game iirc. Different proposition in hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Kerry set up today in their game against Cavan, the system that they will play against Dublin. The Cavan game was a dry run for that.
    Kerry have no chance of outgunning Dublin man for man, they just do not have the pace to cope with them.
    They will pack their defence, hope to make it a low scoring dour game and sneak a win. I think they will need to force Cluxton to kick out long and dominate midfield (which could well happen) in order to win this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

robbiezero wrote: »
    Kerry set up today in their game against Cavan, the system that they will play against Dublin. The Cavan game was a dry run for that.
    Kerry have no chance of outgunning Dublin man for man, they just do not have the pace to cope with them.
    They will pack their defence, hope to make it a low scoring dour game and sneak a win. I think they will need to force Cluxton to kick out long and dominate midfield (which could well happen) in order to win this one.

Puke football comes to mind.

Thats all and well saying that but Dublin will play a similiar type game. All kerry forwards back in the backs means there will be no one up front for scores. If they have to play game on Dublins terms they are doomed straight away. They have the forwards to punish the Dublin defence but keeping them back in Dublins forward line limits their threat and this will suit Dublin down to the ground. Dublin are well used of playing against these systems and its not Kerrys style so i do think Kerry will struggle to hold Dublin for 70mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Amprodude wrote: »
    Puke football comes to mind.

Thats all and well saying that but Dublin will play a similiar type game. All kerry forwards back in the backs means there will be no one up front for scores. If they have to play game on Dublins terms they are doomed straight away. They have the forwards to punish the Dublin defence but keeping them back in Dublins forward line limits their threat and this will suit Dublin down to the ground. Dublin are well used of playing against these systems and its not Kerrys style so i do think Kerry will struggle to hold Dublin for 70mins.

I think Dublin will play the same way they have played all year. I cannot see Kerry beating them if they do not set up very defensively. One thing that was very apparent today in Kerry v Cavan, that Kerry really lacked a cutting edge and pace up front. Gooch is pulling the strings, but is doing his work too far from goal.
    Can't see them getting a big score against Dublin so they will have to work on not conceding a big score.

We went to only 2 full forwards against Cork, which was a change to how we played all year. Cullen brought back to help Flynn and Connolly hoover up loose ball and make sure midfield was won. We also switched up kickouts to bounce the ball in to half forward line coming back on to it having cleared the space of midfielders. It totally negated corks apparent advantage in midfield and once ball was in hand MacCauley, O'Sullivan and the half forwards ran rings around the less mobile cork midfield.

So while Galvin still played attacking football he is happy to adjust the gameplan to suit who we are
    playing. His tactics are very impressive and it is much more than just send them out to attack and hope for the best.

I'd imagine he may go slightly more attacking against Kerry and put Rock in for Cullen on the expectation that Kerry will setup slightly defensively, leaving us plenty of room for kickouts and trying to make it difficult to score. There is no doubt we will need to finish better to get scores on the board as I don't expect as many chances as against Cork.

Kerry will likely try to use Donaghy as the Sheehan role and just knock high balls in at him. It will make it quite a 50/50 lottery but we have played against them doing that before, I'd be tempted personally to switch up the defence a little. Kevin Nolan and Michael Fitzimmons must be sick on the sidelines and although it is a bit of a change for Nolan I'd be tempted to give them a run at full back. Philly is usually reliable, but was a liability when he came on on Saturday.

I've not heard any news on Mannion as yet, always concerned when physio gives the signal that player is done as soon as he gets to him. Anyone heard more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Brought my ticket for the Dublin hurlers so hopefully we can produce the same performance from the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Media already hyping Mayo up as All Ireland Champs. Can even see it on Boards also. Good for us IMO. The more hype about them the better

I think Kerry will be a low scoring game and Cullen to probably start again to help clear up loose ball.

Have to go hard on Donaghy. He is the target man. Cork played the high ball quite well against us. Can see a lot of high ball in this game. Wing backs will play a big part. We have the beatings of Kerry but writing the Kingdom of is stupid.

How are we all feeling about Cork this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Media already hyping Mayo up as All Ireland Champs. Can even see it on Boards also. Good for us IMO. The more hype about them the better

I think Kerry will be a low scoring game and Cullen to probably start again to help clear up loose ball.

Have to go hard on Donaghy. He is the target man. Cork played the high ball quite well against us. Can see a lot of high ball in this game. Wing backs will play a big part. We have the beatings of Kerry but writing the Kingdom of is stupid.

How are we all feeling about Cork this weekend.

Nervous..........................................again.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

realies wrote: »

Its gonna be all good!:D

MANUTD99 wrote: »

I've never understood the Irish obsession with being underdogs. Its just talk man.

Mayo are a well drilled side with an impressive singular focus. No amount of talk or Mayo cliches about folding is going to change that. I don't think it matters a jot to the Dublin lads either tbh. Actually i can't understand how anyone who watches football would think any of the 4 sides left could be affected by this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

realies wrote: »

We are nervous here in Cork too of the Dublin challenge. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement