Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Rory O Carroll back for Dublin makes a big difference under the high ball, he is the best option we have there, I know he was not there in the league against Mayo, even though Horan said afterwards that it was a full strength Dublin side vs a mayo side missing three starters, there was no Alan Brogan for that game either. However Mayo do look impressive with Moran and Dillon back in the team.
    MDMC seems to be back to full strength now though too. He has been IMHO the most important Dublin player since 2010.

Looking forward to the Kerry game, I read that Eamonn Fitzmaurice puts Kerry in position 4 form 4 now, most likely typical cute stuff being played here. Should be a good game, looking forward to it more than i was in 2011. Would be great to see Alan Brogan back for it and unlocking his brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kerry wont play the high ball against Dublin, at all. Donaghy wont play at 14 unless James O' Donoghue is out. Kerry will line up like this

Maher
    Buckley
    Galvin
    Gooch
    Walsh
    O Donioghue----Dec Sullivan
    Darren Sullivan.

Kerry then will have Moran, Donaghy and Sheehan to bring in if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Nerves are starting for this weekend already, just a decent performance out of the hurlers, like 2011, I'd be delighted.

The Kerry game the high ball will find the player looking for it, corks passes seemed a touch like please find our man.

Mayo were flipping awesome, lets get passed Kerry (and cork) and look at the all Ireland finals then, and not until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

coolisin wrote: »
    Nerves are starting for this weekend already, just a decent performance out of the hurlers, like 2011, I'd be delighted.

The Kerry game the high ball will find the player looking for it, corks passes seemed a touch like please find our man.

Mayo were flipping awesome, lets get passed Kerry (and cork) and look at the all Ireland finals then, and not until then.

Yep. We need to focus on Kerry. These lads will want to prove something against us. When was the last time we beat Kerry back to back in the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

When was the last time we beat Kerry back to back in the championship

I think and correct me if im wrong but as far as I remember it was 1976 -77. 1976 in the All Ireland final and 77 in the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Has anyone got the provisional draws for the Minor club hurling championships? I know club games etc are a bit off topic in here but I can't seem to find them anywhere!

The nerves are setting in, only a few hours until we find out if the 5 week break has done us harm!

Hope there is a decent crowd from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

coolisin wrote: »
    The nerves are setting in, only a few hours until we find out if the 5 week break has done us harm!

Hope there is a decent crowd from Dublin.

Excitment more than nerves. We're more or less into the unknown here so the best od luck to all and as they say leave it on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Really looking forward to today, more nervous/excited than with the footballers which is odd.

Hope we start well and tear into them!

Up the dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I know the feeling. I've a knot in my stomach just want to get into Croke Park and get the match started. Waiting around is no good. :p

Up the Dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinmackem

Ah get into mahers and settle the nerves ;) I honestly don't think the break will play any part at this stage it's down to the best hurlers, I think we might just edge it as the better hurlers right now, cork were impressive against The cats but anything close to our display against Galway would beat any team right now I'm convinced, UP THE DUBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I woke up this morning because I couldn't sleep. I really just wanted to snooze until 1pm, get up, do the usuals and head out to Croker. Instead I've been here pouring over analysis, posts here on the GAA forum and Facebook and the nerves are shot already.

Only 2 hours to go until kick off, I might just head now and catch the second half of the minor match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I woke up this morning because I couldn't sleep. I really just wanted to snooze until 1pm, get up, do the usuals and head out to Croker. Instead I've been here pouring over analysis, posts here on the GAA forum and Facebook and the nerves are shot already.

Only 2 hours to go until kick off, I might just head now and catch the second half of the minor match

+ 1. Sunday morning ruined by nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

When did they introduce a kick off in hurling?.

Ah jaysus, you're going to be that pedantic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Only 2 hours to go until kick off

Ye can't bayt instincts lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hard luck to the Dubs today,They imo gave a great game and never gave up, Very proud of them and hopefully they will be even better next year, Well done again. Thanks.

I'm heartbroken, devastation isn't the word for what I'm feeling now.

I've many words of admiration, and you've given me a lot to be happy for; but those words are for another day as I'm not quite there yet.

COYBIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Well done to the hurlers today gave their all in a great game

some days you dont get the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

I'm heartbroken, devastation isn't the word for what I'm feeling now.

I've many words of admiration, and you've given me a lot to be happy for; but those words are for another day as I'm not quite there yet.

COYBIB

Defeat in tight games always seem harder to get over. Great game. But looking at the big picture, the future looks bright for ye. And ye still have the football to look forward to, the advantages of being a dual county:)

• Advertisement

podmu80 wrote: »
    Defeat in tight games always seem harder to get over. Great game. But looking at the big picture, the future looks bright for ye. And ye still have the football to look forward to, the advantages of being a dual county:)

You're right; it's the hope that gets you. If after 20 minutes it was plain sailing for Cork and turned into one of those days like it does in Football so often then you can come to terms with the thrashing. But those games of inches are the toughest, and that was a game of inches. I wish ye all the best for a good final. If you need me I'll be in the corner just drying up my eyes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Gutted myself but it was a fantastic game we contributed greatly to.

It's been a great year and the likes of Danny Sutcliffe and Conal Keaney can be proud of how they played today. Shame Paul Ryan missed so many easy frees as he's had a great year also.

Wasn't to be, no shame in that. COYBIB.

Gutted...
    But still what a year.
    Cork played great, Dublin today where questionable a few times in there decision making.
    Felt sorry for McGuire for leaving himself open for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Gutted doesn't even begin to describe it. So close, so bloody close....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Fair deuce to Dublin, great game. Tough on any team loosing a game that was as competitive as today's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They did us proud never gave up and who knows only for that Red card, but WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT THIS YEAR lets never forget that and the future looks bright.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Here look, Cork have fantastic forwards. Dublin did all they could, they left nothing off the pitch, or on it. Sure, the first yellow was harsh, but it's hard to break down the establishment of hurling. If Dalo stays on, great. If not, he's won Leinster, the League, and beat Kilkenny. He owes absolutely nothing to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Gutted myself but it was a fantastic game we contributed greatly to.

It's been a great year and the likes of Danny Sutcliffe and Conal Keaney can be proud of how they played today. Shame Paul Ryan missed so many easy frees as he's had a great year also.

Wasn't to be, no shame in that. COYBIB.
    Ye have been fantastic for hurling ,and the future is bright.If daly goes,the key is to make sure ye get the right guy.

Everyone would want the Dublin job now.Dublin hurling is not a poisoned chalice ,but now a job full of potential.

Rushe and sutciffe have to get all stars.Kelly be in contention,but depending on next week and the great Riche Mac he may come up short.

Dublin should not forget ,Leinster,a superb achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Just back from the match. Gutted but very proud of the Dublin team and the futures is bright. Some brilliant scores ...

Congrats to CORK , and we will be back next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Still gutted from earlier, good craic on the hill with the amount of cork lads who took their chances among us. One of the best GAA games I've ever been to in terms of a spectacle and the atmosphere.

Good luck to cork in the final, JBM has done a fantastic job.

Many positives can be taken from this year and I hope dalo gives it another lash next year. With all that said the lads will hopefully be rearing to go next season to try and make the breakthrough.

Guess there's solace in the fact we've still the footballers in 3 weeks time. The advantages of being a strong dual county this year and the years to come :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What a disappointment. The game was building toward an epic conclusion but to be ruined by the sending off. When Nash pucked the ball over you knew Cork would take control.

First half was brilliant from a spectators point of view but Daly was right in his interview, we played on Corks terms. 6 against 6 at the back allowed them to win too much breaking ball and too many scores as a result. They've really skilful, clever forwards. They also did their homework. Liam Rushe had to follow his man and was dragged all over the place while Nash and his defenders targeted the likes of Carton, Hiney, Corcoran and Schutte. All of whom were found wanting in the air. I felt Daly should have dropped a man back and allowed Rushe to attack the ball (what he did in the second half) a lot earlier. We were starting to get a grip on the game playing like this.

Thought Sutcliffe, Keaney and McCaffrey were fantastic throughout. We're just short one more skilful forward imo. If Pa Horgan was from Ballyboden we'd be unstoppable!

Last year i thought Anthony Daly had done all he could with the team but now i really hope he stays on. Don't believe this was a KK off year. I think we've seen an end to their dominance and there's no reason Dublin can't repeat or improve upon this years success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I still don't think the sending off mattered too much tbh.

I'd point more towards missing handy frees and a clear goal chance.

We completely collapsed(somewhat understandably) when Horgan goaled too.

I'm still immensely proud of the lads however and hopefully we are finally established as a true force.

Once again congratulations to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

When did you last go to a hurling match ???:D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

exador wrote: »
    Just back from the match. Gutted but very proud of the Dublin team and the futures is bright. Some brilliant scores ...

Congrats to CORK , and we will be back next year...

I cant remember a time where the future of Dublin hurling looks so good. That match was something to behold and the experience alone will stand them good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Complete Long shot.

But if anyone knows where I can get approx 4 Tickets for the Dublin V Kerry match. I checked ticketMas and tickets but they only have nally or upper tier.

Reason for asking is they are for some 'corporate' americans trying to show them what good GAA is like while they are over here.

If anyone can point in the right direction hopefully lower tier or it would be massive if premium tickets would be able.

(dont ridicule my please :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Upper tiers have a good view. Get them online.

Neeson wrote: »
    Upper tiers have a good view. Get them online.

I have been in every section of the ground. Theres not a view i havent seen. Would prefer to get these lads close to the action. Lower tier if poss. or even the fancy level as they are american i think they would eat that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

listermint wrote: »
    I have been in every section of the ground. Theres not a view i havent seen. Would prefer to get these lads close to the action. Lower tier if poss. or even the fancy level as they are american i think they would eat that up.

Might be difficult to get. Besides, these Yanks can't be coming over thinking they'll get the best seats in the house. Put them where their arse will fit and they should be grateful.

Might be difficult to get. Besides, these Yanks can't be coming over thinking they'll get the best seats in the house. Put them where their arse will fit and they should be grateful.

Of course i know how difficult it can be, trying to see whats out there either way.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Speaking of the Yanks, you know the US college football game to be held in Croker next year is on the day before an AI semi! Crazy stuff. Apparently the grounds team think they'll have no problem patching up the pitch in time. You'd hope they know what they're talking about and have considered the worst case scenario weather-wise. Strange decision all the same. I do like my grid iron though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The GAA should have no place for American eggball, disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    The GAA should have no place for American eggball, disaster waiting to happen.

Rubbish. Soccer, rugby, the NFL, concerts etc etc are all sources of revenue for the GAA. As long as those monies trickle down to clubs and counties and coaching programs and ground and equipment, long may they continue imo.

Do think that having something on the day before an AI semi is a bit mad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

What was the name of the Dublin hurler who took the frees a couple of years ago? He would play midfield or number 15 sometimes. He was pretty much Dublin's star player when Daly took over. Cant think of his name and its been bugging me since yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

What was the name of the Dublin hurler who took the frees a couple of years ago? He would play midfield or number 15 sometimes. He was pretty much Dublin's star player when Daly took over. Cant think of his name and its been bugging me since yesterday!

Alan McCrabbe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Alan McCrabbe.
    A fine hurler..had cruciate problems didn't he.Did he win an all star?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Thank you! That was driving me insane. I was saying to myself "Its something like McCambridge but that doesnt sound right!".

Has he retired now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A fellow Craobh hurler, he couldn't play this year due to work commitments. Last year he was in the States all summer and had cruciate problems, missed a fair few of our club games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

listermint wrote: »
    Complete Long shot.

But if anyone knows where I can get approx 4 Tickets for the Dublin V Kerry match. I checked ticketMas and tickets but they only have nally or upper tier.

Reason for asking is they are for some 'corporate' americans trying to show them what good GAA is like while they are over here.

If anyone can point in the right direction hopefully lower tier or it would be massive if premium tickets would be able.

(dont ridicule my please :) )

Four tickets in the premium section for an All Ireland football semi-final between Dublin and Kerry from strangers on a message board! "Complete long shot" doesnt do that justice!

I would imagine tickets.ie and ticketmaster will have some lower deck available closer to the game as clubs may return tickets. There'd be plenty of club members who would buy on the internet as soon as their team makes it, rather than wait until the club allocation arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

stetyrrell wrote: »
    A fellow Craobh hurler, he couldn't play this year due to work commitments. Last year he was in the States all summer and had cruciate problems, missed a fair few of our club games too.

He's been playing for the Craobh footballers in Division 5 all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ranelite wrote: »
    He's been playing for the Craobh footballers in Division 5 all year.

Real shame he walked away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement