Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ranelite wrote: »
    He's been playing for the Craobh footballers in Division 5 all year.

Yeah he's been playing club games, I was referring to inter-county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Looks like the planets are aligning again .. '83 Coghlan wins gold medal, '95 O'Sullivan wins gold, 2013 Heffernan wins gold ....;) ... I'll have to dig a bit deeper for 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

No posts on here in 10 days??!!

i never believed that stuff about fair-weather fans lol.

Anyway, I've got dogs abuse on this site and elsewhere for saying that Dublin GAA is run by country folk but top culchie, Dublin resident and editor of the Indo Gerry O'Regan agrees with me.... :D

"And then 'up the road' lay the south Dublin GAA citadel that is Kilmacud Crokes. The Stillorgan-based club seems to operate like one giant finely tuned sporting factory, churning out scores of teams week after week, in football, hurling, ladies football and camogie.

One can often see those keen-faced fathers from Kilkenny, Tipperary and Clare transporting young sons, complete with hurley and helmet, to sporting encounters across Dublin city and county
    ."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gerard-oregan/on-dark-days-we-rejoice-in-sport-as-opium-of-the-masses-29524595.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Did you return from a ban or something? Just go away will ye.

freddiek wrote: »

Anyway, I've got dogs abuse on this site and elsewhere for saying that Dublin GAA is run by country folk but top culchie, Dublin resident and editor of the Indo Gerry O'Regan agrees with me.... :D

"And then 'up the road' lay the south Dublin GAA citadel that is Kilmacud Crokes. The Stillorgan-based club seems to operate like one giant finely tuned sporting factory, churning out scores of teams week after week, in football, hurling, ladies football and camogie.

One can often see those keen-faced fathers from Kilkenny, Tipperary and Clare transporting young sons, complete with hurley and helmet, to sporting encounters across Dublin city and county
    ."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gerard-oregan/on-dark-days-we-rejoice-in-sport-as-opium-of-the-masses-29524595.html

Wouldn't use Kilmacud as proof of Dublin being run by boggers at all, it's one of hundreds of Dublin GAA clubs, but it's vast numbers from a catchment are full of civil service workers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

."

No posts in here in 10 days is due to the fact we were posting on other threads, that and we didnt have you annoying us.

Well if its said in the indo it must be true, as I'm sure that journalist stopped every parent and asked where are you from.

But still more to the point, what is your agenda, seriously?
    You obsessed with are family aren't pure Dublin blood so we didnt win or do anything!
    Because every other county only takes on players that have parents of pure blood.

The O'halpins from cork, one of there parents is from Fiji.

Go to some other county thread and peddle your racist sh1t cause I'm not buying here.
    Even if I have bitten and responded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

."

There is something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Can't say I'd fancy our chances against that Mayo side if we manage to get past Kerry. They look immense this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Can't say I'd fancy our chances against that Mayo side if we manage to get past Kerry. They look immense this year.

Ah sure if we get past Kerry we may as well give it a go.

I was more encouraged by today actually.

Its the first time this year i've seen a team good enough to test their defensive structure and i wasn't that convinced. Not to get ahead of ourselves of course but their half backs can be got at. Vaughan, Boyle and Keegan were poor defensively in the first half. They give no cover in behind and they aren't great at stopping runners through the middle. A better attacking unit and, crucially for Dublin, an attacking unit that moves the ball faster would have put them in serious difficulty.

The workrate from their forwards wasn't good enough either and against Dublin they are going to have to chase runners all day. Dublin are also the only side capable of matching their energy output (if that makes sense) too. They're good but i'm not convinced they're infallible anymore.

Kerry first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

corny wrote: »

Its the first time this year i've seen a team good enough to test their defensive structure and i wasn't that convinced. Not to get ahead of ourselves of course but their half backs can be got at. Vaughan, Boyle and Keegan were poor defensively in the first half. They give no cover in behind and they aren't great at stopping runners through the middle. A better attacking unit and, crucially for Dublin, an attacking unit that moves the ball faster would have put them in serious difficulty.

The workrate from their forwards wasn't good enough either and against Dublin they are going to have to chase runners all day. Dublin are also the only side capable of matching their energy output (if that makes sense) too. They're good but i'm not convinced they're infallible anymore.

Kerry first though.

Agree with this completely. Dublin, or even Kerry, would've been 6/7/8 points up at half time today. I don't think they're actually poor defensively, moreso Tyrone caught them on the hop a bit. But yea, a better side could easily have beaten Mayo today.

Kerry first though.

I understand your point but I just felt Mayo only really got going after the peno. To manage to stay right in there in an All Ireland semi final without playing your best is impressive. Plus I could see the two O'Shea's destroying us in the middle of the park.

Like you say though, Kerry first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will you all dampen the hype down lads. We have to focus on Kerry first who I am sure will raise their game against us and form will go out the window. Anyway if we and hopefully we do get over that hurdle Mayo will be favourites I think for the final which would take a bit of the pressure off. The injury to Cillian O'Connor is a huge blow though.

billyhead wrote: »
    Will you all dampen the hype down lads. We have to focus on Kerry first who I am sure will raise their game against us and form will go out the window. Anyway if we and hopefully we do get over that hurdle Mayo will be favourites I think for the final which would take a bit of the pressure off. The injury to Cillian O'Connor is a huge blow though.

Are ye jokin me?? Absolutely no chance of that happenin. The Dubs will be favs against Mayo believe me. And if by any slim chance the bookies made Mayo favs it wouldnt be long before that changed when the Dublin boyos splashin the cash backin their team to win! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are ye jokin me?? Absolutely no chance of that happenin. The Dubs will be favs against Mayo believe me. And if by any slim chance the bookies made Mayo favs it wouldnt be long before that changed when the Dublin boyos splashin the cash backin their team to win! :D

True with regards to the Dublin fans placing bets on us and slashing the odds if of course we get to the final but if we sneak a win against Kerry or play badly and still win I reckon most pundits and media journalists (apart from some Dublin based ones) will tip Mayo for Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

STB wrote: »
    There is something wrong with you.

Probably from generations of inbreeding, keeps the blood pure dont you know

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gerrymac16

Is Reservoir dubs down tonight?

my ban was expired on Res Dubs and I was going to post the above on there but they don't like outsiders

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont put to much heed on the media in the coming week. Anyone who thinks we will give Kerry a trimming should think again.

I think Kerry are improving by the game and while Tomás and Mark O'Sé have big miles on the clock they will give this a right lash. Gooch is playing well at CHF, O'Donohue is doing very well if fit and Galvin is finding a bit of form. Mid field could cause us serious trouble, Kerry have 4 or 5 lads who could play there Buckley, Sheehan, Moran, Donaghy, Maher who are all good ball winners.

Dublin have a lot of positives with good displays all over the field however Midfield and our ability to compete here will be vital. We must win 40% of ball in this area. I would stick with Connolly and I think Gavin will too. If he can get a half decent start he could cause mayhem. Cant see a place for either Cullen or O'Gara ahead of him. Despite the scores drying up Brogan has proven himself with some great team play. I think Rock will start and he will take some serious handling. I think the tempo of the game will be very important and Dublin need to hit the ground running. For me Paul Flynn could hold the key as if we can get him on the ball and running at Kerry he could do huge damage. Brennan v Gouch will be some battle.

Kerry will be so fired up for this I would take a 1 point win.

Cluxton
    Daly
    O'Carroll
    O'Brien
    McCarthy
    Brennan
    McCaffrey
    MDMA
    O'Sullivan or Bastic
    Flynn
    C.K.K
    Connolly
    Mannion
    Rock
    Brogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

my ban was expired on Res Dubs and I was going to post the above on there but they don't like outsiders

That's a shame because i'd say you gave them all a great laugh with your theories .

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Sheehan is out, as is Killian Young, two big losses for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Rumours saying Alan Brogan played in a trainning game with most of the starters last week, will Jim take a gamble on him?
    I wouldn't anyway

Rumours saying Alan Brogan played in a trainning game with most of the starters last week, will Jim take a gamble on him?
    I wouldn't anyway

Thats really a gamble not worth taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I wouldn't anyway

He wont even be on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I wouldn't anyway

Well I read today that Gavin gives him zero chance to play but is keeping him around for his experience. If he's going well in training he'd be a nice impact sub to release his brother.

I was happy with what I saw today I think Kerry or Dublin would rattle Mayo, an early lead is important, by all accounts if Mayo start to open a gap they look hard to catch, but lads like AOS looked like confidence players today, and both Dublin and kerry could get a run on them

• Advertisement

As good of a player as the older of the Brogan brothers is, he's not exactly a necessity this year, so it'd be silly to take a chance on sticking a player coming back from a season long injury against a team like Kerry in the semis, particularly when there's ample replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wouldn't anyway

I loved watching Alan play and hopefully we get to see him back at some stage . I don't think he will be up to much for the team this year because of his lack of game time . I really hope we can get him fit for the league campaign next year .

LeoB wrote: »
    Dont put to much heed on the media in the coming week. Anyone who thinks we will give Kerry a trimming should think again.

Cluxton
    Daly
    O'Carroll
    O'Brien
    McCarthy
    Brennan
    McCaffrey
    MDMA
    O'Sullivan or Bastic
    Flynn
    C.K.K
    Connolly
    Mannion
    Rock
    Brogan

I know its de rigueur for Dublin supporters to play it cool with the expectation and hype but there's one reason why i'm very confident Dublin will beat Kerry. Its age.

If you take that Dublin team, Brennan and Brogan are the only two outfield players over 26 and both are still under 30. Kerry, going by their semi final line up, will probably have 8 or 9 lads over 29. Its an absolute certainty that Dublin will out work them and Kerry would have to be quite a bit superior in terms of ability to offset that. They're not that.

Dublins energy to overwhelm them.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Been a bit harsh on BB, having watched back the Cork game he put in an immense amount of work and won ball which went unnoticed, it'll come right for him sooner or later, lets hope its next week.

I'd stick with Connolly too, as infuriating as he can be, he kept wanting the ball and he never hid.

Dean Rock has to start imo.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Been a bit harsh on BB, having watched back the Cork game he put in an immense amount of work and won ball which went unnoticed, it'll come right for him sooner or later, lets hope its next week.

I'd stick with Connolly too, as infuriating as he can be, he kept wanting the ball and he never hid.

Dean Rock has to start imo.

I'm scratching me head with regard to the starting front 6 for Dublin on Sunday. We'd posted previously about Dublin needing to refine their attacking game at the backend of the championship to prevent the better teams running thru the half backs. To this end Cullen was employed last time out to range between the 2 45's.

If Cullen was to start Sunday - specifically to nullify the ball winning of Kerrys big 2 in midfield and provide additional cover to the HB's - then Connolly would more than likely move into the full forward line. I personally think DC is the most natural of the forwards for finishing goals - playing out the field against Cork he frustratingly slowed down a lot of the build up play taking too much out of the ball.

Similarly Dean Rock if he was to start would be best suited to a half forward role, I think the relative space and time outside the 21 suits him better than in close to the square. The forgotten man in all this seems to be Paddy Andrews - not being privy to whats going in the training camps etc. I still wonder at the fact that he now seems to be marginalised - particularly bearing in mind the impact he made early on in the year and specifically his display against Kerry in Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'm scratching me head with regard to the starting front 6 for Dublin on Sunday. We'd posted previously about Dublin needing to refine their attacking game at the backend of the championship to prevent the better teams running thru the half backs. To this end Cullen was employed last time out to range between the 2 45's.

If Cullen was to start Sunday - specifically to nullify the ball winning of Kerrys big 2 in midfield and provide additional cover to the HB's - then Connolly would more than likely move into the full forward line. I personally think DC is the most natural of the forwards for finishing goals - playing out the field against Cork he frustratingly slowed down a lot of the build up play taking too much out of the ball.

Similarly Dean Rock if he was to start would be best suited to a half forward role, I think the relative space and time outside the 21 suits him better than in close to the square. The forgotten man in all this seems to be Paddy Andrews - not being privy to whats going in the training camps etc. I still wonder at the fact that he now seems to be marginalised - particularly bearing in mind the impact he made early on in the year and specifically his display against Kerry in Killarney.
    I think you could be bang on there with the shout on Cullen. As much as I'd like to see Rock given the start, I think this game is made for Connolly named in at FF, with BB and Mannion either side. Flynner, Cullen, and Kilkenny in the half forwards. Connolly will drop out to the half forward line with Cullen working off the middle 2 and HB's.

I keep oscillating between us surely winning to Kerry are going to do us with all those old heads gunning for 2011 revenge...Roll on Sunday

10. Flynn
    11. Kilkenny
    12. Rock/Cullen
    13. Mannion
    14. Connolly
    15. Brogan

Seems good to me.

I don't mind who lines up but i want to see 3 inside forwards against Kerry.

Connolly was pushed infield by Cullens inclusion and as a result KK was marginalised. It didn't work. KK uses the ball so much better than Connolly. They should be ramming the ball down his throat like they did in the Meath game. No more crowding in the HF's.

Connolly with Brogan and Mannion either side sounds good to me too.

I'm very concerned about Ger Brennan up against Gooch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Ha
    Ha
    Ha
    Ha
    Ha

Ah Dino, you're gas :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'm very concerned about Ger Brennan up against Gooch though.

Id pull Cian into the 6 spot and start Bastick besdie Mickey

I don't mind who lines up but i want to see 3 inside forwards against Kerry.

Connolly was pushed infield by Cullens inclusion and as a result KK was marginalised. It didn't work. KK uses the ball so much better than Connolly. They should be ramming the ball down his throat like they did in the Meath game. No more crowding in the HF's.

Connolly with Brogan and Mannion either side sounds good to me too.

Thats a very good observation Corny - certainly to maximise their greater mobility (imo) they need to work the Kerry back line tirelessly and need an inside 3 to do so. I don't know whether it was just the nature of the Cork game or not, but DC did seem to get the majority of ball that Kilkenny would ordinarily have been expected to gather. Strangely enough they had no problem with their own space on the pitch when both were named in the HF line.

It's hard to 2nd guess what formation Fitzmaurice will go for - I really can't see him going man for man. I'd hazard a guess that they will likely set up along the lines of the 2nd half v Cavan, with 12 behind the ball, they'll target possibly 3 in midfield and also Galvin withdrawn to a deeper role. Alternatively he may decide to go at Dublin from the start - there's every likelihood based on previous matches, and try to blitz a 5 point odd lead. I think that either scenario still requires a defensive minded HF to start as Gavin will hope that Dublin will be still competitive by the 50 min mark to allow their sheer pace and conditioning see them through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

*ATTENTION* All Dublin Fans .

We have come up with a Recession price alternative to the "Kerry me Bollix" jersey we posted up earlier . We have now come to an agreement with a supplier for a "Fruit of the Loom" quality Sky Blue T-Shirt because of the large amount of feedback form yourselves ,The Fans. At a cost of €10 it will have the Dublin Crest on the front and "Kerry Me Bollix" on the back in Navy print and the print will be in good quality screen print. We will have these available come Friday at a Quantity of 200 depending on the demand and on a first come , first served basis for collection.
    Please comment below for quantity and sizes and we will PM you for details . Sizes are available in "Large , Extra Large and Double XL" Message Richie Larkin if interested.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin-GAA/352838621465833

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Thats a very good observation Corny - certainly to maximise their greater mobility (imo) they need to work the Kerry back line tirelessly and need an inside 3 to do so. I don't know whether it was just the nature of the Cork game or not, but DC did seem to get the majority of ball that Kilkenny would ordinarily have been expected to gather. Strangely enough they had no problem with their own space on the pitch when both were named in the HF line.

It's hard to 2nd guess what formation Fitzmaurice will go for - I really can't see him going man for man. I'd hazard a guess that they will likely set up along the lines of the 2nd half v Cavan, with 12 behind the ball, they'll target possibly 3 in midfield and also Galvin withdrawn to a deeper role. Alternatively he may decide to go at Dublin from the start - there's every likelihood based on previous matches, and try to blitz a 5 point odd lead. I think that either scenario still requires a defensive minded HF to start as Gavin will hope that Dublin will be still competitive by the 50 min mark to allow their sheer pace and conditioning see them through.

I think it was tbh. As i remember Connolly was targeted dropping deep quite a bit from Cluxtons kickouts. They seemed to have a method for dragging Corks midfielders to the side and picking out the half forwards.

We've been fairly passive in the first 15 minutes all summer. Even Kildare were 1-2 to no score up after 10 minutes. There's a good chance Kerry will look to start fast. Then they'll park the bus.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

They started fast a few years ago against us, targeted Cullen and forgot to park the bus:(. I just worry about Cullen's pace and depending how Kerry set up with Crowley, O'Donohue and O'Leary it could suggest they will try and blitz Dublin early on. Buckley is also very mobile and strong on the ball and Gouch might be pushed forward a little. While some Kerry lads have serious miles on the clock they also have serious pace in key positions. Who will pick up Darren Sullivan? Jack Mc? That would leave serious space for other Kerry lads. Im not sure the age profile will come into to much

Kerry have yet to introduce Patrick Curran and Brian Looney both excellent forwards also so without stretching themselves they are at the same stage as Dublin.

Would agree with Dublin deploying 3 man full forward line. Think I would keep Bastic in case Gouch gets a march on Brennan.

I think we are in for a right battle but I think we will shade it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Kerry will line up as follows

Marc O Sé - Brogan
    Mark Griffin - Rock/Andrews - Will change if ye start Cullen as a sweeper
    Shane Enright - Mannion
    Tomas O Sé - Connolly
    Peter Crowley - Kilkenny
    Fionn Fitz - Flynn
    Paul Galvin and Donnacha Walsh will play just behind the midfield for protection
    Buckley & Maher in the middle
    Gooch & Declan o Sull on the 40
    James O Donoghoe & Darran O Sullivan in the Full Forward Line

Eoin Brosnan,Aidan O Mahoney,David Moran,Bryan Sheehan and Kieran Donaghy will be the subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I would have preferred if Donaghy started to be honest, he's been useless.

But he is better coming on as a sub as a good impact type player, esp if the game is tight he can cause damage at full forward with high balls into him.

Do ye ever notice a lot of the Dub players have half-culchie accents??

Must be from growing up with de culchie parents and going on all them holidays down de country...

Ray Cosgrove...the culchiest-sounding Dub I ever heard :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Did ye ever notice a lot of non-Dubs are actually fascinated by the Dubs??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

I like the fact that we're repopulating the surrounding counties with their next generations of players. As we send out the Dublin culture to the rest of the country, Louth, Meath, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow, et al...they'll all have good Dub accents in the years to come!

One of my best mates is a meathman, biggest scrote Dub accent you'll ever hear....love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Must be from growing up with de culchie parents and going on all them holidays down de country...

Are you not back in school yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I was only talking to Ray the other day. You're very much mistaken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

You still flogging that dead fuc*ing horse.

Your persistent, genuinely can you give me an actual real reason for you popping in every few days banging on about how Dublin is the only county to benefit from parents outside it.

Clearly a dub swooned your Culchie girlfriend with his colin farrell impression and you hold a grudge because there "unnatural" half blood half breed child is now on a Dublin team.

Clearly has pissed you off no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

LeoB wrote: »
    They started fast a few years ago against us, targeted Cullen and forgot to park the bus:(. I just worry about Cullen's pace and depending how Kerry set up with Crowley, O'Donohue and O'Leary it could suggest they will try and blitz Dublin early on. Buckley is also very mobile and strong on the ball and Gouch might be pushed forward a little. While some Kerry lads have serious miles on the clock they also have serious pace in key positions. Who will pick up Darren Sullivan? Jack Mc? That would leave serious space for other Kerry lads. Im not sure the age profile will come into to much

Kerry have yet to introduce Patrick Curran and Brian Looney both excellent forwards also so without stretching themselves they are at the same stage as Dublin.

Would agree with Dublin deploying 3 man full forward line. Think I would keep Bastic in case Gouch gets a march on Brennan.

I think we are in for a right battle but I think we will shade it.

Eh, O'Leary is nowhere near starting, "Curran" is meant to be Curtin I assume and Brian Looney isn't even on the panel. Bit more homework needed I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Eh, O'Leary is nowhere near starting, "Curran" is meant to be Curtin I assume and Brian Looney isn't even on the panel. Bit more homework needed I'd say!
    So technically he was correct neither has been introduced :-)

The kerry crowd seem to love Curtin, I hope we don't find out why on Sunday.

Advertisement