Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Kerry will line up as follows

Marc O Sé - Brogan
    Mark Griffin - Rock/Andrews - Will change if ye start Cullen as a sweeper
    Shane Enright - Mannion
    Tomas O Sé - Connolly
    Peter Crowley - Kilkenny
    Fionn Fitz - Flynn
    Paul Galvin and Donnacha Walsh will play just behind the midfield for protection
    Buckley & Maher in the middle
    Gooch & Declan o Sull on the 40
    James O Donoghoe & Darran O Sullivan in the Full Forward Line

Eoin Brosnan,Aidan O Mahoney,David Moran,Bryan Sheehan and Kieran Donaghy will be the subs.

Howya ... seems by your take on things to be a very defensive minded team. I'd worry @ playing 11 behind the ball as this would appear to be inviting Dublin onto them, and in order to pressure kicks into midfield Kerry will have to contest us further up the field.

The likelihood of Dublin employing a sweeper with this Kerry formation is minimal I'd think ... the strength in numbers will more than likely be moved into the HF line, with an orthodox front 3. I'd wonder at the logic of consigning Darran O in the forward line I would've thought his pace but be better utilised firstly to counteract either Jack Mc or McCarthy, and secondly as shown previously Dublins defensive problem with direct running at us. Donnachadh Walsh I think would also need to be deployed further upfield.

To my way of thinking, Kerry will need to exploit the Dublin trend so far of "feeling" our way into a match - certainly the match ups and formation you mention would serve da Kingdom well protecting a lead, but I'm not sure that its gonna inflict a big scoring threat if they field as you've stated. Ta

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

freddiek wrote: »
    Do ye ever notice a lot of the Dub players have half-culchie accents??

Must be from growing up with de culchie parents and going on all them holidays down de country...

Ray Cosgrove...the culchiest-sounding Dub I ever heard :D:D

freddiek, your obsession with the parentage of Dublin players is quite baffling. As a result, for your benefit as much as everyone else's, do not post in this thread again or you'll be banned (again).
    Continue your strange line of posting on other threads and you'll also be banned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

As freddiek is banned from this thread and cannot reply, please move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote: »

To my way of thinking, Kerry will need to exploit the Dublin trend so far of "feeling" our way into a match - certainly the match ups and formation you mention would serve da Kingdom well protecting a lead, but I'm not sure that its gonna inflict a big scoring threat if they field as you've stated. Ta

Feeling a way into a match is a great way to describe it. I've been trying to understand if that is actually the tactic, Galvin constantly talks about mobile intelligent players who figure things out during the game.
    Maybe that is the way to go, certainly they finish strongly, much better than the old blitz and fold of years ago

Stoner wrote: »
    Feeling a way into a match is a great way to describe it. I've been trying to understand if that is actually the tactic, Galvin constantly talks about mobile intelligent players who figure things out during the game.
    Maybe that is the way to go, certainly they finish strongly, much better than the old blitz and fold of years ago

Blitz and fold..very good yeah we've done that alright The half time pint was sweet as honey then 15 mins into 2nd half it was coming back up me neck like parazone.

I like that phrase mobile intelligence like the golfer that diagnoses and fixes a swing fault mid round or a boxer that figures out an opponent mid fight. There's very little histrionics on the Dublin sideline Mick Deegan would carry a few instructions around the pitch, but I think Gavin implicitly trusts the players to "figure" it out.

I still believe we won't see the best of this team til next year, there's a nagging doubt that they'll come unstuck. I think Kerry in an AI SF is the ultimate test for the mobile intelligence coz I for one have never quite figured them out:D. Win lose or possibly draw this will be the game of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ha! Blitz and fold gave me a chuckle!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ha! Blitz and fold gave me a chuckle!

I take consolation from the fact we've never done that against Kerry ... we just just folded :p... Mayo '06 Cork '10 would make my hall of shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I take consolation from the fact we've never done that against Kerry ... we just just folded :p... Mayo '06 Cork '10 would make my hall of shame

Still rather encouragingly we "Folded n' blitzed" against Mayo last year :pac:

Still rather encouragingly we "Folded n' blitzed" against Mayo last year :pac:

LOL....... stop confusing the issue ! ......... strangely enough as you said there was a certain encouragement with that loss - we got a glimpse of the real Dublin that we'd waited all year for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

LOL....... stop confusing the issue ! ......... strangely enough as you said there was a certain encouragement with that loss - we got a glimpse of the real Dublin that we'd waited all year for.

If we'd forced a replay that day (Brogans 1v1 miss) I would have fancied us to take them the next day.

If's and but's... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If we'd forced a replay that day (Brogans 1v1 miss) I would have fancied us to take them the next day.

I'll never get over that and i'll never forgive him either :(

Was down at Electric Picnic last year for it, one of only a handful of Dubs... anyway I threw on my jersey and walked over to the local town to watch the match. Headed back to EP after and I then got absolutely slaughtered and had dogs abuse thrown at me for the rest of the day by total randomers !!
    So i stabbed them all*

*May not be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Will we have team named tonight folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I listened to the radio in the car at EP last year. I think I'll do the same this year; it avoids any possible confrontation.

The only part of the previews about the match that I fear are the ideas that Kerry have been training to peak at this time of the year. Hence, they've had heavy legs against Cork and Cavan and faded somewhat towards the end of those games. Thus, we might be seeing the form that had Kerry 9 points up against Cork, rather than the form that saw them just about win in the last twenty minutes.

... Flynner nearly taking the crossbar off early doors sticks in my mind also

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Will we have team named tonight folks?

According to Dubs Match Track not till After training Tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Eh Mayo were well worth their victory that day, they blew us off the field for 50-55 minutes.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Eh Mayo were well worth their victory that day, they blew us off the field for 50-55 minutes.
    That's true, they were great, but at least we showed some form towards the end, they can be worthy of the victory at the same time we can be happy about the response from Dublin while recognising that it was not enough.

any news on andrews i know he was set to be match fit for cork but he started warming up fairly early on yet didnt come on

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Available for selection, but has slipped down the pecking order a bit after losing a bit of form and then getting injured. Would expect him to now be behind Cullen, Rock, O'Gara and Mcmenamin but probably ahead of Brogan for the bench spot. Only thing that may push him back up the order is that Kerry don't have a big back line that will need softening, so O'Gara may slip down the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

When should we expect team news? Would have thought we'd have the team by now.

• Advertisement

When should we expect team news? Would have thought we'd have the team by now.

Yea keeping close watch for it aswell, should know by 10:30 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Dubs:Cluxton; O'Brien O'Carroll Cooper; McCarthy Brennan McCaffrey; Macauley O'Sullivan; Flynn K'kenny Connolly; Mannion Andrews Brogan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Dubs:Cluxton; O'Brien O'Carroll Cooper; McCarthy Brennan McCaffrey; Macauley O'Sullivan; Flynn K'kenny Connolly; Mannion Andrews Brogan

Shame no Dean Rock but no real surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Interesting one, thought he'd go with Rock bu happy to see Andrews get the shout

Rock will be kept for his 2 point impact late on. Good to see Andrews back in!

Chuffed to see Paddy Andrews back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Was hoping Andrews wouldnt start,The 3 boys inside are a great team...Kerry expected this line up with the match ups at the back....Lads this game is gonna go down in history as the best game ever

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Chuffed to see Paddy Andrews back.

Thought BC did enough the last time out

Would love to be proved wrong :D

Thought BC did enough the last time out

Would love to be proved wrong :D
    Oh he did Hank ..very effective game from Cullen. This forward line if it starts as selected is a very attack minded one. It just about ensures that Kerry will have to withdraw into deeper roles .

Paddy A gave AOM a bit of s run around last time in Killarney so he has that confidence coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

Oh he did Hank ..very effective game from Cullen. This forward line if it starts as selected is a very attack minded one. It just about ensures that Kerry will have to withdraw into deeper roles .

Paddy A gave AOM a bit of s run around last time in Killarney so he has that confidence coming in.

Yeah if you look back at the League game in Killarney, Andrews was in great form that day, if he can put in another performance like that again, it's worrying times for Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Lads looking for a swap obviously fix up the difference, nally for horgan or Cusack cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Spare Hill available if anyone is interested

Reports Out That Sub Bench Is As Normal And No Sight Of Alan Brogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

reports also say we have 7 celtic cross winners on are bench

what a bench to have

but1er wrote: »
    reports also say we have 7 celtic cross winners on are bench

what a bench to have

While I Agree Great Bench With All The Hype About How He Was Flying and Gavin Saying hes fit to play quite suprised he didnt make it

• Advertisement

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Reports Out That Sub Bench Is As Normal And No Sight Of Alan Brogan

Not surprised, be a bit much to put him into a game like this after no football all year. I hope he can get back next year though after a full recovery, I'd hate to see injury retire a player of his calibre and commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

He isnt fit and he isnt flying.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    He isnt fit and he isnt flying.

According to Alot Of the papers he was And Jim Stayed He Was Playing well In Full Training Matches

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Edser

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Spare Hill available if anyone is interested

I'll take it.. Sending PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Yeah, reports of no A Brogan in bench are true. Not surprising really.

Still, some serious options on the bench. Rock, Kev Mc, Bastick, Cullen, Nolan, even O'Gara as a Plan B at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dublinfan wrote: »
    According to Alot Of the papers he was And Jim Stayed He Was Playing well In Full Training Matches

I have no clue why it has been in the papers, It was in the papers at the start of the year and he had not trained once.

He did get back training just before he got injured again and was doing well.
    He did not play for Plunkets during the break.

He hasnt played a football game in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Can't sleep, f*cking nerves :(

Can't sleep, f*cking nerves :(

Ha!...came down stairs @ 3 and watched Ice Pilots on Discovery. If I hadda known others were up we could've shot the breeze :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Ha!...came down stairs @ 3 and watched Ice Pilots on Discovery. If I hadda known others were up we could've shot the breeze :D
    "After being forced to ground his plane 500 miles from Mine Valley DoctaDee is forced to seek high ground to get mobile coverage to listen to the Dublin - Kerry game."

"After being forced to ground his plane 500 miles from Mine Valley DoctaDee is forced to seek high ground to get mobile coverage to listen to the Dublin - Kerry game."

LOL..very good.. its terrible tho I musta been up before half of Kerry coming up today. I don't want an epic ..Dubs to start well and power on by 25 points would suit me...I can sit back in the comfort of 306 and take a drag on my electronic ciggie ... which reminds me it needs charging..well that's another pre match hour filled in :D

Yes sleep was difficult. Any last minute changes? I bet the team line outs will change for both sides particularly the Dublin forward line.

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes sleep was difficult. Any last minute changes? I bet the team line outs will change for both sides particularly the Dublin forward line.

What makes you think that brother re Dubs forward line? I'm quietly confident that its the best attacking unit we could've fielded

Just what happened before the Cork game, we still have a bit if a hole in the middle to run through.
    I was delighted with Cullens performance, it went under the radar but I thought he was a good presence in there. Gavin showed a bit of creativity popping him in at number 14 at the last minute but having us thinking he'd never do such a thing.

I'm going out on a limb here, but O'Gara might have a say in this.
    That must be the same forwards that lined up against Kerry in the league this year, it looks like Gavins favourite pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Didn't sleep much either. Woke up (again) to Darragh O'Se (again) on the wireless going on (again) about why he thinks Kerry will win. Again. I swear to God, is there any radio station or show, he hasn't been on this week? I'm going to have to start listening to Farm Report and Today in The Dail to get away from the man ! :o

I'm going with Dubs to win by 4-5 pts, but for the game to be a close one going into the last 10 minutes. I think the new, young guns will do most of the scoring and get most of the headlines again. But I'd put money on the older, wiser heads (esp Cullen, Bastic and BB) being the ones who on closer inspection, were the ones who made the most difference. I'd also put money on Paddy Andrews having a big impact today, not just in what he scores, but in the amount of ball he can win, and his vision for laying great balls off to others. He did that so well in the League. I only hope he is not rusty after his injury lay off. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

Up the Dubs !!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LOL..very good.. its terrible tho I musta been up before half of Kerry coming up today. I don't want an epic ..Dubs to start well and power on by 25 points would suit me

Croker on a sold out match day, Dublin v Kerry, evoking 2011 for me, other years for many other fans; tension like a guitar wire. The walk down the Clonliffe Road or North Circular/Summerhill Parade to the Cusack's gonna be a long one.

I don't believe it could happen, but a reversal of the 2009 Quarter Final scoreline would be quite the day out as far as I'm concerned. I'm so rattly I think I'll be the lad televised with his face in his hands fighting back tears (possibly failing) if this all goes wrong.

Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts

• Advertisement
Advertisement