Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Kerry think that they have decoded our kick outs.

But we've now decoded their decoding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Dublin by 6-8 points!

COYBIB

Slattsy wrote: »
    Dublin by 6-8 points!

COYBIB

Couldn't have called that much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Slattsy wrote: »
    Couldn't have called that much better!

Yeah, but I'd say you were this close >< to eating your words :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Just in the door, here's some thoughts.

What a fuucking game. Incredible. Best game since Galway/Kerry

Cian O'Sullivan. Majestic.

Bernard Brogan finally showed his class.

Diarmund Connolly paid back Gavin's faith in him, excellent game.

Ger Brennan should never start for us again.

Gavin is a level above Gilroy. He makes changes quickly and reads a game very well. Bastick being brought in and CoS being dropped deeper made a massive difference.

What a panel we have. Rock, Bastick, McMahon and McManamon all helped turn the game.

Kerry bringing on Doneaghy was a huge blunder.

Kerry played a great game and have nothing to be ashamed of. They played some glorious football at times.

Did I mention this game was incredible?

Still have goosebumps. I ****ing love GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Im Hoping gasvin Keeps o sullivan in centre back and bastic in mid for mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

And now the mad scramble to get tickets.....

The joys and pains of being a Dub right there :D

And now the mad scramble to get tickets.....

The joys and pains of being a Dub right there :D

Have Faith. Believe. Buy Season Ticket or Parnell Pass in future :)

Have Faith. Believe. Buy Season Ticket or Parnell Pass in future :)

Luckily I have a parnell pass, was just mentioning it haha. Good luck to anyone on the ticket trail!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

I know we'll probably all be calling for Rock to start (and why not, he was immense), but does anyone else think Gavin may hold him back again for that (almost) guaranteed impact off the bench after 50mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fta93 wrote: »
    I know we'll probably all be calling for Rock to start (and why not, he was immense), but does anyone else think Gavin may hold him back again for that (almost) guaranteed impact off the bench after 50mins?

Baring an injury I think Gavin sould and stick with the formula yes.

I've a question about the Parnell Pass if you or anybody else is interested in answering.

I'm aware of the following differences between the Season Ticket and Parnell Pass but please correct me if I'm wrong:
    • Club matches - Parnell Pass: Free, Season Ticket (basic): Not free
    • League matches (Home) - Parnell Pass: Free, Season Ticket: Free
    • League matches (Away) - Parnell Pass: Not Free, Season Ticket: Free
    • League Final - Parnell Pass: Not Free? Season Ticket: Free
    • Championship matches - Parnell Pass: Not Free & No Discount, Season Ticket: First free, €5 discount
    • Terms - Parnell Pass: Apr-Mar, Season Ticket: Jan-Sep

Given the amount of hurling I've gone to in the last two years I'm contemplating going for either a Parnell Pass or two Season Tickets (Football/Hurling) next year and I'm trying to figure out which is the best value and how does ticket allocation go for the pass? Do I have to go to the office in Dorset Street to book a ticket or does it work some other way? Is there a minimum attendance required to guarantee an AI final ticket like with the season ticket (not that I'll fail to make the cut or anything, but I'm curious).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Clare hurling supporter with 2 premium tickets for the football final available to swap for 2 hurling premium tickets. Swaps only please if interested - not selling.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

I've a question about the Parnell Pass if you or anybody else is interested in answering.

I'm aware of the following differences between the Season Ticket and Parnell Pass but please correct me if I'm wrong:
    • Club matches - Parnell Pass: Free, Season Ticket (basic): Not free
    • League matches (Home) - Parnell Pass: Free, Season Ticket: Free
    • League matches (Away) - Parnell Pass: Not Free, Season Ticket: Free
    • League Final - Parnell Pass: Not Free? Season Ticket: Free
    • Championship matches - Parnell Pass: Not Free & No Discount, Season Ticket: First free, €5 discount
    • Terms - Parnell Pass: Apr-Mar, Season Ticket: Jan-Sep

Given the amount of hurling I've gone to in the last two years I'm contemplating going for either a Parnell Pass or two Season Tickets (Football/Hurling) next year and I'm trying to figure out which is the best value and how does ticket allocation go for the pass? Do I have to go to the office in Dorset Street to book a ticket or does it work some other way? Is there a minimum attendance required to guarantee an AI final ticket like with the season ticket (not that I'll fail to make the cut or anything, but I'm curious).

In summary, you buy a Parnell pass ticket now or you already have one then you'll be entitled to buy a dub V mayo final ticket regardless of attendance or having bought your tickets through dublin county board or ticketmaster etc. You have to pick up your ticket for the final on the Tuesday before the match (going by 2011 anyway). Great value getting a load of league games in as well.

http://www.dcbtickets.gaa.ie/

Up the Dubs ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Just in the door, here's some thoughts.

What a fuucking game. Incredible. Best game since Galway/Kerry

Cian O'Sullivan. Majestic.

Bernard Brogan finally showed his class.

Diarmund Connolly paid back Gavin's faith in him, excellent game.

Ger Brennan should never start for us again.

Gavin is a level above Gilroy. He makes changes quickly and reads a game very well. Bastick being brought in and CoS being dropped deeper made a massive difference.

What a panel we have. Rock, Bastick, McMahon and McManamon all helped turn the game.

Kerry bringing on Doneaghy was a huge blunder.

Kerry played a great game and have nothing to be ashamed of. They played some glorious football at times.

Did I mention this game was incredible?

Still have goosebumps. I ****ing love GAA.

The two bits in bold are complete bollox and show a complete lack of respect if i may say so.

Anyway, great to get to another final. Game went as expected really. Kerry doing a load of damage but Dublin just capable of doing slightly more. Its testament to the Kerry lads desire that in the second half they kept themselves in it because i thought we steamrolled in general play (in the second half that is).

O' Sullivan gave away the ball a couple of times but was excellent throughout. MDM takes ages to get fit but by jesus come September he is an absolute trojan. Brilliant game. Personally i'd make room for Bastick in midfield but you can't argue with the impact the two midfielders have on the game.

Gets boring talking about how awful we are at the back when we keep winning but... Cooper and O'Brien fall asleep too often at corner back. Mayo will do exactly the same thing to us if its not addressed. Brennan was out of his depth against Cooper in a game that really didn't suit him. He either marked someone else or he didn't play for me. I'd really put that down to the brilliance of Cooper though. His movement to create space for himself is absolutely sensational. He'd give any defender the runaround in an open game like that.

Forwards were very good en masse bar maybe Mannion. He has to work harder to make an option. Too often he stands beside his man waiting for something to happen. I don't know who gets dropped for Rock. Flynn picks himself even though he was quiet today. Connolly played well and always works hard, Andrews got on a lot of ball and Bernard was top drawer. KK? Don't envy Gavin tbh.

Just one more thing. I was at Kerry V Cavan and at Croker today. I don't know if anyone watches the warmup but i do. Kerry do a drill where 3 attackers attack two defenders in on goal. Everyone partakes and without fail everyone takes the right option. I get the impression its not just a matchday drill either. I really wish Dublin would practice execution in on goal. Throughout the summer the man in possession invariably takes the wrong option. Its not talk that we should be scoring 5 or 6 goals a game; we should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

In summary, you buy a Parnell pass ticket now or you already have one then you'll be entitled to buy a dub V mayo final ticket regardless of attendance or having bought your tickets through dublin county board or ticketmaster etc. You have to pick up your ticket for the final on the Tuesday before the match (going by 2011 anyway). Great value getting a load of league games in as well.

Up the Dubs ;-)

is there a catch?
    like from the website there is an option to buy up to 6 season tickets, does that mean you can get 6 tickets for final potentially?

For the final I think changes need to be made to the corner backs. O'Brien got roasted almost as bad as Fitzsimons in last years semi-final and Cooper was lucky to stay on the pitch.

What are our options regarding replacements?

Up the Dubs ;-)

I've got the season ticket but I'm thinking about the Parnell Pass for next year :) Now that I think about it it may be better if I wait until after the 22nd to ask, lots of people are gonna be clamoring for AI final tickets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Statistic time.

Dublin have played 12 games this year. They have lost one (and that was by a point).

They have beaten Mayo twice already this year, both in Croke Park, by 4 and 6 points respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

that important goal - if anyone is interested

AFD83F49AED44797A33C048405C88861-0000337703-0003356290-00800L-DF2072D9A25E4728B159CD44127F71DF.jpg

02186F4AE0FB4DE3912AC4D19C59BBD1-0000337703-0003356291-00800L-4090D1720AB64B3589A563398D7BCA20.jpg

C4761896AD12496D8678F3CDF7531B5D-0000337703-0003356292-00800L-B2E043F2E1E546868BB7D623F13933C0.jpg

3B707021CA224F0BBE2E1ADEBF6D5D41-0000337703-0003356293-00800L-B56C4B38BECB4FB8AE0960B771D9CA4E.jpg

6195E12A2AD64CEA9020176F99CA135F-0000337703-0003356294-00800L-43F693D73B4D45D69C4152F7344FC719.jpg

163B4471A0D445D1B19CD91D5F16BAAB-0000337703-0003356295-00800L-A03DE3F08BEA4A61A95B44DEDCB58423.jpg

CDE334508AAA450387E7AA37FA1B1B3A-0000337703-0003356296-00800L-590606FF4BBA4ABA888DB9246C732E17.jpg

2D0851A81D954FDDAAE85273580CA176-0000337703-0003356297-00800L-9A01501B37714549BC44E14AE7CC20EF.jpg

118E444F62F4468EAE995AD523D6958C-0000337703-0003356298-00800L-B66198B105B942FC97618D1534D0F3D7.jpg

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    The two bits in bold are complete bollox and show a complete lack of respect if i may say so.

How are they complete bollox? Brennan was the worst player on the pitch by a mile yesterday and he's always liable to blow his top. He's had some good games for us as well but it's not disrespectful to say he shouldn't be in the team. :confused:

Gilroy made a fantastic contribution to Dublin football, of course he did. However he'd often be very slow to make changes though when everyone else in the stadium could see they were required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Greatest game i ever saw anyway yesterday,Dean Rock is the next big thing in GAA,MDMA is hands down the most valuable footballer in the country (Bar The Gooch).Dublin play the game the way it's supposed to be and no off the ball shíte we have come familiar with last few years,Hard but fair football.Well Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All i can say about yesterday...

... I am exhausted...

My throat is still fuucked. :P

Literally need some sort of heart related scan done. that game was too much for any man.

Premier league super sundays my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Watching the game yesterday I was thinking I wouldn't want to be a Dublin supporter, don't think the ticker could handle it. Or Kerry even, amazing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Greatest game i ever saw anyway yesterday,Dean Rock is the next big thing in GAA,MDMA is hands down the most valuable footballer in the country (Bar The Gooch).Dublin play the game the way it's supposed to be and no off the ball shíte we have come familiar with last few years,Hard but fair football.Well Done

Very gracious Joe - yeah agreed was the greatest game of football I've seen in all my years going. I think Dublin were 2 points down in 2nd half when I turned to the BIL and said the same thing. The hyperbole of the "greatest game" is usually detracted from when Dublin are involved as the accusation of media love ins is generally applied. The one thing I'm glad of bringing my god forbids to all the Dublin games is when they're old and grizzled like their aul lad they can tell everyone they saw the Gooch the greatest footballer in modern times play.
    listermint wrote: »
    All i can say about yesterday...

... I am exhausted...

Completely and utterly bolloxed after the game. The car journey home was the quietest ever - don't think there was 2 words spoken and the radio was left off as that 70 odd mins was too raw on the nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Losing the All Ireland final after that would be such a disappointment after that. It's the best game i've ever attended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Prop Joe wrote: »

Heard they were warning about "Blue Ghosts" at the Electric Picnic on Saturday. Somebody obviously knew the form:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinmackem

Sweet mother of jasus what a game that was, Im going to the Dubs all me life and I never expierienced the Hill like that, it was absolutly rocking, just can not wait for this final, and the players have been fantastic all year, so exciting, Up the Dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Flynner's reaction to that goal says it all. Was blessed to be in attendance...

Cant see Gavin changed the team to start the AI final to be honest. would be madness to. Mayo will be a different game. If Brennan is roasted again, id expect a similar change with Denis B coming in and Cian going to 6.

MDMA was my MOTM yesterday. Was super and set up the 2nd Dub goal,

How are they complete bollox? Brennan was the worst player on the pitch by a mile yesterday and he's always liable to blow his top. He's had some good games for us as well but it's not disrespectful to say he shouldn't be in the team. :confused:

Gilroy made a fantastic contribution to Dublin football, of course he did. However he'd often be very slow to make changes though when everyone else in the stadium could see they were required.

It is disrespectful. You said he should never start for us again. Brennan is a super player and on the basis of one game against what the majority are calling the perfect half of football from Cooper you want to completely discard him. Thats bollox to me. You disagree then fair enough.

And Gilroy? So thats what makes Gavin a level above? He makes changes? I thought actually coaching an effective way to defend to the players might be more laudable but each to their own. I don't like the comparison to begin with. Gilroy did an unbelievable job.

I'd tell the young lads before the start of some games ... that everyone is entitled to a bad game once in a while (god knows I had enough of them myself), but no one is entitled not to try - never have me replace you because yer not trying..

Ger had a bad game .. he burst his bangers to contain a player that had the movement and tactical brain to constantly outfox him. Ger & Rory O'Carroll defend in that peculiar but effective way of facing the player rather than the ball - there was an instance 1st half where Ger done what he's always done - got the 1st yard on Cooper and still didn't get possession. Like most defenders, the game is a lot simpler when it's played out in front of you - a foot race and a containing tackle is far easier than tracking dummy movement. I'm full sure Ger will start the AI and more than likely pick up Dillon(?) a totally different proposition and back in his comfort zone.

I would have concerns in the corner backs tho .. there was little between the selection of O'Brien and Buttsy Daly early on in the year and it was a toss of the coin who'd start .. personally thought Daly did very little wrong to warrant exclusion. But at this stage I think its the old dog for the hard road... and I'd stick Philly Mc in ... anyone that's watched Kickams would see a lot more football skills in Philly than was evident til now in a Dublin jersey - and I think he has that football ability which fits in with Jim Gavins creed - I wish at times Philly would leave the needless shíte out - on a bad day there's a cloud over his temperment.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dr.Tank Adams

Great win, seriously need to tighten up at the back though. I respect that Gavin doesn't want to use a sweeper, but in that case he has to make that all 6 defenders mark closely. We were badly exposed yesterday, particularly Brennan, O'Brien and Cooper, conceding 3 goals in twenty minutes is ridiculous. If they can sort it out they should have no problem beating Mayo, because our scoring power is absolutely superb.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I would have concerns in the corner backs tho .. there was little between the selection of O'Brien and Buttsy Daly early on in the year and it was a toss of the coin who'd start .. personally thought Daly did very little wrong to warrant exclusion. But at this stage I think its the old dog for the hard road... and I'd stick Philly Mc in ... anyone that's watched Kickams would see a lot more football skills in Philly than was evident til now in a Dublin jersey - and I think he has that football ability which fits in with Jim Gavins creed - I wish at times Philly would leave the needless shíte out - on a bad day there's a cloud over his temperment.

I'd start O' Sullivan and McMahon at corner back. Cooper and O' Brien are fast and athletic but they are constantly caught out when teams let the ball do the work.

Mayo play a huge amount of ball into the corners with the runners coming hard in support. We'll concede a big score again if something isn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinmackem

I think he will start Brennan but finish with osullivan again, and will start mcmahon, I though Philly made some errors when he came on against cork but thought he was much more solid than o'brien when he replaced him yesterday, I'm pretty sure he will start now, if it was up to me though I would drop Brennan, wasn't good enough for me recently and hope there's not too much damage done before JG makes the changes in the final,

I'd start O' Sullivan and McMahon at corner back. Cooper and O' Brien are fast and athletic but they are constantly caught out when teams let the ball do the work.

Mayo play a huge amount of ball into the corners with the runners coming hard in support. We'll concede a big score again if something isn't changed.

I can see merit having O'Sullivan at corner back ... but reverting to the old adage of not strengthening your weaknesses by weakening your strengths, I'd be reluctant to move COS out of the middle, as himself and MDM are central to the attacking link play and hopefully running the legs off the O'Sheas. I'd also wonder at Basticks ability to give a full 70 mins at this stage of the championship - I'm assuming he's yer natural replacement of COS.

I've really no alternative to Jonny Cooper @ corner back tbh - I'm thinking that if we need to change things - specifically Ger again we've sorta hamstrung ourselves if COS is already in the corner and Denis Bastick is in midfield ?....... what about Ger in the corner and maybe Kevin Nolan HB ?

I can see merit having O'Sullivan at corner back ... but reverting to the old adage of not strengthening your weaknesses by weakening your strengths, I'd be reluctant to move COS out of the middle, as himself and MDM are central to the attacking link play and hopefully running the legs off the O'Sheas. I'd also wonder at Basticks ability to give a full 70 mins at this stage of the championship - I'm assuming he's yer natural replacement of COS.

I've really no alternative to Jonny Cooper @ corner back tbh - I'm thinking that if we need to change things - specifically Ger again we've sorta hamstrung ourselves if COS is already in the corner and Denis Bastick is in midfield ?....... what about Ger in the corner and maybe Kevin Nolan HB ?

Well you're weakening and strengthening by bringing in Bastick and switching Cian. We were all calling for a ball winner in midfield not too long ago and against the O' Sheas Bastick is far superior in the air. Bastick also screens in front of the HB line quite effectively; another reason why Coopers second half influence was curbed yesterday. For sure its getting the balance right. Personally i think we'd be more solid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

and maybe Kevin Nolan HB ?

Lack of game time and fitness level aside he's a very good option.
    It might be the wrong time of year to make radical changes now. Philly for COB might be the only change in defense for the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

My throat is still fuucked. :P

Same here. Sounds like i have laryngitis from roaring my head off yesterday. All worth it though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I stayed away from boards bar on angry post about the ref.
    That was some game. I don't think it's fair to say that Kerry only lost because they were tired. The changes at half time won the game, osullivan on Gooch did the job.
    I don't see Gavin as a level above Gilroy. Gilroy sorted out the final quarter for Dublin. Dublin are not starting their best team they finish on it .
    The more the game went on the more our line out looked like 2011.
    Bastic and mdmc in midfield, osullivan and philly in defence, mac on as a goal scoring sub, O'Gara on too.
    It very much finished as a team built strongly on Gilroys foundations beefed up by guys with the confidence generated by winning in 2011 under Gilroy
    Gavin looks like a good guy alright but let's not take the work done beforehand for granted.

Something i haven't heard a thing about.

Did anyone else think O’Donoghue's point iin the 60th minute flashed wide of the post? I was in the Upper Cusack right in line with the shot and i was sure it went wide. The umpire didn't seem to have a clue either but just put up his flag.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Did anyone else think O’Donoghue's point iin the 60th minute flashed wide of the post? I was in the Upper Cusack right in line with the shot and i was sure it went wide. The umpire didn't seem to have a clue either but just put up his flag.

Was in the lower behind it too and thought it could have been wide, but crowd and player reaction was that it was clearly over and watching it back umpire went straight for flag. Main thing I take from watching in back is that I'd forgotten, rock, mcmamanm, and brogan all missed chances from 57 to 67 which could have been costly, nearly doubled wide count in last 15 minutes.

That and stunned at complaints from Kerry fans about the ref, he rode us up and down the park with some stunningly bad decisions. Thought it was heat of the game on the day, but watching it back it was decision after decision, especially letting them pull and drag the forwards, while at our end everything was a free in.

We did very well to keep our heads and play through it. Very impressive and focused.

Now that the forwards all had reasonable games, we are more back in form across the park which is great to see. Hopefully all can perform in the final.

I'll watch it back tomorrow but I was certain the ref rode us throughout the game too. We weren't the only ones either; he got a serious booing when returning to the dressing room.

Strange yeah ... must've been an optical illusion the whole of the Cusack was looking for hawkeye, but there was a straight white flag from umpire

• Advertisement

No was in the Hogan side, it was definitely in.

The ref was very poor which ever stand you were in though. One of the lads in the office here called dublin dirty. I was absolutely perplexed as to what he was talking about. Because it was a solid performance throughout despite some of the messing that went on with certain substitutions.

I'll watch it back tomorrow but I was certain the ref rode us throughout the game too. We weren't the only ones either; he got a serious booing when returning to the dressing room.

Meath man - who'd have guessed :rolleyes:

With the hurling semi and Sunday's game, we're just not getting luck with referees this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Have to laugh at you guys, try and at least be a little impartial!

If the ref was truely out to 'get' Dublin as some here are claiming, ye would have ended the game with 12 players ffs.

Dublin fully deserved their win and were better but a little less of the persecution complex wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Have to laugh at you guys, try and at least be a little impartial!

If the ref was truely out to 'get' Dublin as some here are claiming, ye would have ended the game with 12 players ffs.

Dublin fully deserved their win and were better but a little less of the persecution complex wouldn't go astray.
    I agree and I'm a Dublin man. Some Dubs supporters always tend to blame the ref rather than our performances in some cases. However in the hurling the ref was a shambles by ruining a good game of hurling by sending off O'Dwyer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement