Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Your friend doesn't know the GAA as well as he thinks he does. Perhaps he should read the terms and conditions of the Parnell Pass terms of sale before he starts telling you rubbish like that. They state explicitly that buying one entitles you to purchase a ticket for the AI final. End of story. There is no 'first come, first served' policy to be worried about. There is a limited supply of actual Parnell Passes to be bought. Once they are sold out, that is it, they are gone. But once you have one, you are guaranteed a ticket.

yeah, I read, re-read, re-re-read the T&C's on the Parnell Pass and I could not for the life of me see anywhere it said that I WOULDN'T get a ticket. So I was quietly confident, despite his pessimism. So that's deadly!

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

I've a quick (and probably stupid) question regarding the Parnell Pass.
    I have one myself. I know when I pop up to Dorset Street on the 17th I'll get my ticket.

I have a terrace pass, so do you reckon the earlier I get to the ticket office the better seat I'll get in the Cusack/Hogan stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭bren2001

El Viz wrote: »
    I've a quick (and probably stupid) question regarding the Parnell Pass.
    I have one myself. I know when I pop up to Dorset Street on the 17th I'll get my ticket.

I have a terrace pass, so do you reckon the earlier I get to the ticket office the better seat I'll get in the Cusack/Hogan stand?

No. I think no matter what time of the day you go you will get a ticket for the Hill. If you wanted a seat you should of got a stand ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah quite simply as others have said.. you have a Parnell Pass bought 10 years or 10 hours ago .. you will get an AI ticket. If you bought a Terrace Pass (ya fackin cheapskates :D) you will get a Hill ticket. Also when next years league campaign starts you have free tickets to all the round robin league matches. A Parnell Pass shouldn't be like the puppy for Christmas lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Sorry lads, It's a stand pass, not a terrace pass.

• Advertisement

El Viz wrote: »
    Sorry lads, It's a stand pass, not a terrace pass.

You've a choice brother of Cusack or Hogan .. depending what's left .. so early bird does indeed catch da worm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

DazMarz wrote: »
    Thankfully, I have the day off that day. Reckon I'll head up early to queue just to be sure. Cannot wait for the Final now. It's gonna be a classic.

I know it's probably mental to queue up early, but I really want to be sure. Wanna say a big thanks to two members on here (I presume you'll know who you are!) for their help to me. Really appreciated and I think it's gonna come good now! :D

Are you a terrace or stand ticket holder? If terrace I wouldn't bother going up too early. I remember walking by ticket office in 2011 and there must have been a hundred people lined up outside before doors were open. Strolled up on lunch break later that day and there was only one person ahead of me. In and out and back to work within 45 minutes and even with the luxury of eating something. The irrational fear of losing the golden tickets or being mugged on the way back did make me walk a little faster though :pac:

Parnell Passes now sold out ... ya bunch of mercenaries :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Parnell Passes now sold out ... ya bunch of mercenaries :D
    statement on hill16.ie:

The Parnell Pass scheme for 2013 has sold out.
    Pass holders can purchase their All Ireland Football Final tickets from the GAA Ticket Office on Dorset Street from Tuesday 17th September to Friday 20th September.
    1 Pass = 1 Ticket
    Stand tickets €80, Terrace tickets €40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Anthony Daly has been reappointed as the Dublin Senior Hurling manager. Excellent News

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hey lads nerves getting to ye yet?? ;)

My money is on Dublin for the AI now the level of hype surrounding mayo is again mad it's like the county sets itself up for a huge fall..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hype is the biggest cliche in the GAA imo. If Mayo or Dublin win, it will be because they were the better team on the day and, nothing else imo.

My nerves are fine now. Thanks for asking. :) Give me about a week and, I'll be a gibbering wreak though. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Hey lads nerves getting to ye yet?? ;)

My money is on Dublin for the AI now the level of hype surrounding mayo is again mad it's like the county sets itself up for a huge fall..

Starting to get jittery now alright, especially after how that hurling final gripped me yesterday, it just made me think of Sunday week and the nerves, excitement, nausea of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Great news for Dublin hurling that Anthony Daly is staying on, I'd be happy with a consistent season next year to back up a season where we made big strides

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Great news for Dublin hurling that Anthony Daly is staying on, I'd be happy with a consistent season next year to back up a season where we made big strides

Given the season they've had I'd fancy Dublin to improve again next year. Div 1 hurling and the inferiority complex evaporated; i'd say we're well placed.

Delighted Daly is staying put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

corny wrote: »
    Given the season they've had I'd fancy Dublin to improve again next year. Div 1 hurling and the inferiority complex evaporated; i'd say we're well placed.

Delighted Daly is staying put.

Leinster is going to be tough, Kilkenny will be gunning for 2014. Should make for a great championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'll hold my hand up and say I was one of those on here in 2012 hoping Daly would call time on his tenure. The great high of the 2011 semi-final against Tipp was brought crashing down in 2012 with a relegation to League 1B following 4 losses and a draw, the demolishing we took off Kilkenny in Leinster and the having the back door shut first time around thanks to Clare. It was disappointing and the results-based part of me wanted him gone there and then

Fast forward to 2013 and we've won promotion in the league so we're in top flight next year, we've taken Leinster for the first time in 52 years, beating Wexford (at second asking), Kilkenny and Galway. We were involved in one of the best hurling games I've ever seen and definitely the best I've ever been physically at. I could forgive the loss to Cork, it was to be their day but it could have been ours. Dublin packing The Hill to the rafters for a hurling match, I didn't think I'd ever see those days :)

I'm delighted he has chosen to stay on. I see now what he has done for Dublin hurling in the last few years and I'm thankful for every bit of joy he's brought me along the way. I hope 2014 is as good a year if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Still looking back at the final yesterday I couldn't shake the notion that we could have been there. Swings and roundabouts as they say, another day we would have beaten Cork.

Still that's the beauty of sport and I'm delighted as a fan of hurling that nearly every team was competitive this year and particularly Dublin were up there with the traditionally strong counties and beat the two All-Ireland finalists last year.

It would be a good end to the year to see 2 or 3 players get an All-Star all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Obviously it's good news that Dalos back, but I can't help but feel that we won't do anything next year, apart from maybe avoid League relegation. Leinster is going to be extremely tough, with rejuvenated Kilkenny and Galway teams, as well as a Wexford team who are moving in the right direction and weren't very far off the pace this year.

Outside of Leinster, Cork and Clare will presumably remain strong, while Tipp, Limerick and Waterford are never going to be too far off the mark. Can Daly break the on/off (09/10, 11/12, 13/?) form that his team has displayed under him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fantastic news. Hopefully the pain of the defeat will spur them on to greater things next season. The likes of Sutcliffe, Rushe, Kelly, Ryan will all be one year older and more experienced. The spine of the side is still young and it bodes well for us.

Hopefully they will have learned from the mistakes of 2012 with the heightened expectations which we will all have for 2014. It's a different kind of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Any word on what blocks the season ticket holders will get their final ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Same as always, 304/5/6 perhaps with a sprinkling of 404/5/6 like in 2011. The season ticket holders are being processed for payments today, I suspect we'll get our tickets sent out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭teddyteddy

not sure if this is the right place> but here goes im after a good high res foto of the famous dubs gaa team of the late SEVENTYS

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Where are blocks 404 etc?

Decobuzz wrote: »
    Where are blocks 404 etc?

Right at the back of the lower stand .. wheelchair accessible area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

My fear is the high that was this year is going to be a massive low if we get beaten next year.
    Ill gladly admit, I was calling for daly to leave after the Kilkenny defeat. It was such a massive hammering.
    After relegation, although saying that is was a close relegation in 2012, when you think of the massive match we lost in nowlan park, and tipp beating us by a point.

I hope they see those years and get it right next year.

Sure who knows.
    Next year will be tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

We drew with Tipp in the league last year. Rushe got a goal with the last puck of the game. It was Cork that beat us by a point I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

@RTEGAA
    Joe McQuiilan from Cavan will referee the Dublin v Mayo All-Ireland SFC final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

bo-sco wrote: »
    We drew with Tipp in the league last year. Rushe got a goal with the last puck of the game. It was Cork that beat us by a point I think.

Your right sorry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Great news about Daly. Delighted to see him staying on for another campaign anyway. Has done so much for Dublin hurling in the past few years. Dublin will be there or thereabouts next year again. This year will have been a tremendous boon to the whole team and will have been a great bit of experience for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

So how are we gonna line out lads? I think we'll be unchanged except for McMahon in for O'Brien. Not our best 15 imo but still a strong team and always have the lads off the bench to come in should they be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think it will be the same team as lined out against Kerry. Depending on who is having the most difficulty between Cooper and O Brien , McMahon will come in for.

Outside chance that Cullen will be in for Brennan.
    Outside chance that A Brogan might come in for Kilkenny at some stage
    same bench and subs to finish on the best team.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Moneymaker wrote: »
    So how are we gonna line out lads? I think we'll be unchanged except for McMahon in for O'Brien. Not our best 15 imo but still a strong team and always have the lads off the bench to come in should they be required.
    I reckon Gavin will go unchanged...Brennan probably should make way for COS and Bastick moving into the centre and you could make a case for Philly to come in (wouldn't do it myself - think he's a liability) and of course Rock...but I'd say Gavin's thinking now will be to address the tactical issues in the back line with the incumbents in the few weeks between games, safe in the knowledge that he has proven big impact changes he can make at anytime during the game that work...huge plus...lets say he makes the brennan change, would you be as confident if say Bastick or COS were getting cleaned out of seeing Ger come from the bench at half time or the other way round?...

I'd be happy to see an unchanged line-up next week:cool:

GK1001 wrote: »
    I reckon Gavin will go unchanged...Brennan probably should make way for COS and Bastick moving into the centre and you could make a case for Philly to come in (wouldn't do it myself - think he's a liability) and of course Rock...but I'd say Gavin's thinking now will be to address the tactical issues in the back line with the incumbents in the few weeks between games, safe in the knowledge that he has proven big impact changes he can make at anytime during the game that work...huge plus...lets say he makes the brennan change, would you be as confident if say Bastick or COS were getting cleaned out of seeing Ger come from the bench at half time or the other way round?...

I'd be happy to see an unchanged line-up next week:cool:

I think that's about right, so far its been about seeing whats wrong and having someone to come off the bench that will do a job. He might start Brennan and then change him if he is struggling. I'd rather see someone else come off the bench than Brennan.

• Advertisement

So the logic is he's not good enough to come on so we'll start him instead.

Seems odd.

bo-sco wrote: »
    So the logic is he's not good enough to come on so we'll start him instead.

Seems odd.
    Nah, that's not what I'm trying to convey. Personally I think Brennan is better than COS would be at centre back on average. He can be excellent. But on form in the last two games, he's faded in the 2nd half in one and been taken to school in the other by the best Gaelic footballer to grace a field and who played to the height of his powers. It makes calls for his replacement viable and I'm sure they'll be put forward in the lead up.
    What I am saying then, is that I think as an impact to a game that needs changing, a change such as Brennan off and Bastick on is better than Bastick/COS off and Brennan on. Reason being if the game is going south, and that is the area of the field we need to address then it's most likely that we are not winning primary ball or the breakdown and I think Bastick coming on is better in that situation. If Bastick and COS are having problems in the air and at the breakdown then seeing Brennan come on for either of them isn't an inspiring thought, to the point that if Brennan is dropped I think he'll only feature if we are ahead and need to see out the game.

I'll admit I can see reasons for both sides and it's not a disaster either way (we have an awesome team remember:D) but the more I think about it I'd lean towards going unchanged. It's a tough call to make, but that's what Gavin's there to do.

What are your thoughts anyway bo-sco? Who do you think should line up for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Cant see there being any changes to the previous starting line ups unless forced.
    As with the semi final if players aren't pulling there weight he wont be afraid to change it.

Would love to see 3 changes but it wont happen. COS in for GB and Bastick in the middle(but he wouldn't last 55-60 mins) and Rock for Kilkenny.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Brennan did a great job on O'Shea in the league when they put o'shea up on him as the big man to knock the smaller man around. Which was right up Gers alley and O'Shea hardly got in the game at all. Galvin will have a plan around the best setup to deal with Mayo rather than address issues from a game already gone. O'Brien took a knock to head early against Kerry and looked dizzy and unaware of what was going on until he came off. I would expect the same team that started against Kerry to start against Mayo. The only real debate would be whether to adjust up front for Paddy Andrews again, but they gelled well last time and the subs did there job so why mess with it? I wouldn't change midfield, Kerry's was supposed to be well on top but both MDMA and Cian should have got goals running away from them, they will look to do the same again.

copacetic wrote: »
    Brennan did a great job on O'Shea in the league when they put o'shea up on him as the big man to knock the smaller man around. Which was right up Gers alley and O'Shea hardly got in the game at all. Galvin will have a plan around the best setup to deal with Mayo rather than address issues from a game already gone. O'Brien took a knock to head early against Kerry and looked dizzy and unaware of what was going on until he came off. I would expect the same team that started against Kerry to start against Mayo. The only real debate would be whether to adjust up front for Paddy Andrews again, but they gelled well last time and the subs did there job so why mess with it? I wouldn't change midfield, Kerry's was supposed to be well on top but both MDMA and Cian should have got goals running away from them, they will look to do the same again.
    Cork even more so and that failed to transpire also, it's good that the O'Sheas will be seen as Mayo's big strength because I think that area is there for the taking and if we come out 50/50 or better we'll be well set up

• Advertisement

GK1001 wrote: »
    Nah, that's not what I'm trying to convey. Personally I think Brennan is better than COS would be at centre back on average. He can be excellent. But on form in the last two games, he's faded in the 2nd half in one and been taken to school in the other by the best Gaelic footballer to grace a field and who played to the height of his powers. It makes calls for his replacement viable and I'm sure they'll be put forward in the lead up.
    What I am saying then, is that I think as an impact to a game that needs changing, a change such as Brennan off and Bastick on is better than Bastick/COS off and Brennan on. Reason being if the game is going south, and that is the area of the field we need to address then it's most likely that we are not winning primary ball or the breakdown and I think Bastick coming on is better in that situation. If Bastick and COS are having problems in the air and at the breakdown then seeing Brennan come on for either of them isn't an inspiring thought, to the point that if Brennan is dropped I think he'll only feature if we are ahead and need to see out the game.

I'll admit I can see reasons for both sides and it's not a disaster either way (we have an awesome team remember:D) but the more I think about it I'd lean towards going unchanged. It's a tough call to make, but that's what Gavin's there to do.

What are your thoughts anyway bo-sco? Who do you think should line up for us?

I wouldn't start Brennan but I've never liked him there so this is nothing new. As well as being too slow he's also a loose cannon and is liable to get himself sent off. In the absence of a better option I would start COS there and Bastick in the middle. Bastick won't last the 70 but the importance of bringing in a dedicated midfielder in his place with 20 minutes to go probably isn't as important at that stage when the game has become more open as it would be earlier in the game. Flynn could slot in there at that stage for example.

There might be better options but an All Ireland final is not the place to be trying them out.

Having said all that I would expect Ger to start.

Delighted to see so much from Mayo 'fans' about the ref, little or no talk about the actual game or their team. illustrates a lack of belief and confidence looking for the excuses so early. Especially looking for them about a ref who helped them no end against us in the past.

Delighted to see so much from Mayo 'fans' about the ref, little or no talk about the actual game or their team. illustrates a lack of belief and confidence looking for the excuses so early. Especially looking for them about a ref who helped them no end against us in the past.
    It's not really the regular Mayo lads bringing it up, mainly the bandwagon elite. There was plenty of that from non regular Kerry posters before the last game too covering all possibilities beforehand.
    If the official word is that the guy was never involved in AvB games for Dublin and people keep bringing it up then there's not much you can do about it I guess.

Brennan did a great job on O'Shea in the league when they put o'shea up on him as the big man to knock the smaller man around. Which was right up Gers alley and O'Shea hardly got in the game at all. Galvin will have a plan around the best setup to deal with Mayo rather than address issues from a game already gone.

My memory of Brennan vs A O'Shea was different. I remember AOS breaking Brennans tackle and bursting through a good few times.
    If COS and MDMA run at Mayo the way they did at kerry then the O'Sheas will have to track back with them, a o'shea looks dodgy tackling a runner from behind sometimes and he'll have to watch the yellow cards he could end up with one early in the game.
    There is a good chance either Brennan or A o'shea will see red in this game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It doesn't illustrate anything you are presuming it does ;)

Mcquillan is a Cavan man or a dub?

Is it actually true Mcquillans family were at AI final in 2011 in Dublin attire or is that just a lie?

The non regular mayo posters you will find drift in from after hours and comment away for something to do and to stir it here just ignore it lads I'm 100% sure regular mayo lads don't feel like that.

But if the story about Mcquillans family in Dublin attire is true it is one of the most stupid things mcquillan could allow wife and kids to do but also hilarious :D

Any truth in the stated fact that McQuillan is married to a Mayo woman, and his mother also hails from Mayo ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Yeah he drives a blue ford fiesta and watches fair city. FFS lads.

On another note, I can't get through to the Dublin county board office. Does anyone know if all Parnell pass card holders need to be there to pick up their tickets next week (from tuesday I know) or can I give mine to someone to collect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Gerlad

On another note, I can't get through to the Dublin county board office. Does anyone know if all Parnell pass card holders need to be there to pick up their tickets next week (from tuesday I know) or can I give mine to someone to collect?

Officially you're supposed to be there in person with ID but two years ago I was never asked for ID - just serial number and name on card. You do have up to Friday to collect your ticket but realise this may not be feasible for people not working/living in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Has anyone received their Parnell Park pass that ordered it after last Thursday (Sept 5th)? A friend ordered it the same night and he got his yesterday. Apparently nothing in the mail yet according to family. I'm in the US now.

Stoner wrote: »
    My memory of Brennan vs A O'Shea was different. I remember AOS breaking Brennans tackle and bursting through a good few times.
    If COS and MDMA run at Mayo the way they did at kerry then the O'Sheas will have to track back with them, a o'shea looks dodgy tackling a runner from behind sometimes and he'll have to watch the yellow cards he could end up with one early in the game.
    There is a good chance either Brennan or A o'shea will see red in this game IMO.

He got the upper hand a couple of times once on the ball, but he tried off the ball stuff on Brennan, lost out a couple of times, threw himself on the ground theatrically a few time and got on the wrong side of the ref totally. Was lucky to stay on that day, final ref would be even less likely to take action though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement