Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Rochey18 wrote: »

Who had a serious injury??
    Howya Rochey didn't PA have a cruciate or like injury? ... if not then who da fack am I thinking of :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Howya Rochey didn't PA have a cruciate or like injury? ... if not then who da fack am I thinking of :rolleyes:

No PA has been flying fit and the best forward in the Club championship for a few years now.

I would guess your thinking of Mark Davoren from Crokes, since you said cruciate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Last night O'Shea was constantly niggling him off the ball and then falling to the ground to appeal to the ref when he got a little back. Brennan deslt well with him and O'Shea was ruining his own game rather than Brennan.
    No qualms about Ger Brennan getting red but to say he wasnt been wound up is not true and Mayo used this tactic last night and it worked. Aidan O Shea in particular was constantly pulling and dragging from the throw in and was a lot of this going on off the ball.

To be honest I thought there was a lot of off the ball stuff from both teams, not just Mayo. And regardless of whether he was being purposely wound up (which I really dont think he was), he should not rise to it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I would never let Ger Brennan wear a Dublin jersey ever again! Sick of him

No PA has been flying fit and the best forward in the Club championship for a few years now.

I would guess your thinking of Mark Davoren from Crokes, since you said cruciate?
    Absolutely agree @ best forward in Club Champs. Never felt Gilroy gave him a fair crack, persisting with O'Gara etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

was thinking to myself what happens when alan brogan makes his return, will he be put back as a main forward possibly replacing Connolly or used as a sub

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

but1er wrote: »
    I would never let Ger Brennan wear a Dublin jersey ever again! Sick of him

So you hate Connolly and now Brennan?

Anti Vincents maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

To be honest I thought there was a lot of off the ball stuff from both teams, not just Mayo. And regardless of whether he was being purposely wound up (which I really dont think he was), he should not rise to it....

Agree that he shouldnt rise to it but o shea in particular was cynical in his off the ball antics and fell down like a sack of spuds as soon as anyone reacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublinfan wrote: »
    was thinking to myself what happens when alan brogan makes his return, will he be put back as a main forward possibly replacing Connolly or used as a sub

They can both play.

10. Flynn
    11. A. Brogan
    12. McManamon/Kilkenny (Kilkenny to start)
    13. B Brogan
    14. Andrews
    15. Connolly

The style we play really suits the three inside men because they can all win their own ball. Add in the fact Flynn, KK and A Brogan are excellent distributors and you've got yourself a formidable unit.

Ger Brennan is a perfect CB and a favourite of mine but tbh he can't afford to let the nonsense start again. There is fierce competition in the half backs (we've so many of them) and Gavin can afford to be picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Where is Davoren now? Will he make it back to the county scene? Thought he looked pretty good whenever I saw him play.

• Advertisement

exador wrote: »
    Agree that he shouldnt rise to it but o shea in particular was cynical in his off the ball antics and fell down like a sack of spuds as soon as anyone reacted.

Its something you'd have to think is encouraged by Horan. Against Dublin and Down last year they had a very cynical edge to them; players are fully aware of whats going on. The GAA are doing nothing to stop it though. Personally i think less of players engaging in that stuff than i do of 'moment of madness' type events, like Brennan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Anyone tell me the thinking behind having Cluxton run the length of the pitch to take a penalty?

corny wrote: »
    Its something you'd have to think is encouraged by Horan. Against Dublin and Down last year they had a very cynical edge to them; players are fully aware of whats going on. The GAA are doing nothing to stop it though. Personally i think less of players engaging in that stuff than i do of 'moment of madness' type events, like Brennan.

Thats the frustrating thing is that the GAA are doing nothing to stop it....Cannot justify what Brennan did but frustrating to see the off the ball stuff. Dublins discipline has improved greatly and the brennan incident is not what we need.

exador wrote: »
    Thats the frustrating thing is that the GAA are doing nothing to stop it....Cannot justify what Brennan did but frustrating to see the off the ball stuff. Dublins discipline has improved greatly and the brennan incident is not what we need.

We've still players who react though and the more they react the more they'll be provoked. I don't think a game goes by that Connolly doesn't get involved with somebody. Most of the time its pushing and shoving but other times.... well we know that story.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I hope O'Shea doesn't turn in to one of those players, for DIT last week there was little sign of it but this week it was all off the ball messing, diving and screaming at the ref and following in to push and shove people. Great player who doesn't need to lower himself to the level of the likes of Vaughan who seems to spend most of his time rolling around holding his face in between cynical fouls. He should have had 3 yellows yesterday rather than the one he finally ended up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

So you hate Connolly and now Brennan?

Anti Vincents maybe?

Yep them two been on my list a long time!

Great players Just so short tempered will cost us big games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Where is Davoren now? Will he make it back to the county scene? Thought he looked pretty good whenever I saw him play.

He went for his operation then came back and got injured again had two operations. Dont think he is still playing football, he isn't on the seniors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

This bringing Cluxton up for the penalty last night was only pure showmanship bulls**t. Bernard Brogan or surely someone else from 2 to 15 could have hit it. Can see the logic completely in Hurling because it's about hitting ball as hard as possible and the goalie hurler is a huge advantage also.

On another note, Brogan was mercurial last night. Superb scores from all angles. The sideline kick was the pick of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

mobby wrote: »
    Anyone tell me the thinking behind having Cluxton run the length of the pitch to take a penalty?

I think cluxton taking frees is wasting game time can't believe one of your forwards doesn't want to step up...

But a goalkeeper taking a penalty in football is ridiculous at best.

Great win for ye against mayo well done..

Looking forward to trip up to ye this weekend should be a belter..

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

He went for his operation then came back and got injured again had two operations. Dont think he is still playing football, he isn't on the seniors anyway.

Retired.

I think cluxton taking frees is wasting game time can't believe one of your forwards doesn't want to step up...

But a goalkeeper taking a penalty in football is ridiculous at best.

Great win for ye against mayo well done..

Looking forward to trip up to ye this weekend should be a belter..

CILL DARA ABÚ

Nah DK, would disagree with you on Cluxton wasting time - the one example yer using stems from AI Final. Cluxton has taken plenty of frees with Dublin behind on scores. Simple fact is he's the best place ball kicker on the team - Of course theres a whole different argument as to why there isn't an outfield player capable of doing it as proficiently.

The penalty saga was a strange decision agreed, maybe again it stems from training games - we all remember David O'Learys peno, by all accounts the best peno taker in training ..

This still has me scratching me head Rochey :confused: .. I know da big brother Peadar had a cruciate, but thats a good few years ago ..

Nah DK, would disagree with you on Cluxton wasting time - the one example yer using stems from AI Final. Cluxton has taken plenty of frees with Dublin behind on scores. Simple fact is he's the best place ball kicker on the team - Of course theres a whole different argument as to why there isn't an outfield player capable of doing it as proficiently.

The penalty saga was a strange decision agreed, maybe again it stems from training games - we all remember David O'Learys peno, by all accounts the best peno taker in training ..

I'm not saying Dublin are attempting to waste time by getting cluxton to run up for frees.. I in general consider it wasteful of game time I would say the same if our own Shane Connolly was taking frees.

In saying that cluxton is a fabulous dead ball kicker..

I thought Cluxton hit a decent penalty; keeper did brilliantly to get down low to it though.

If he's the best at taking penalties then he takes the penalties is how i see it. Doesn't matter what number he wears.

I thought Cluxton hit a decent penalty; keeper did brilliantly to get down low to it though.

If he's the best at taking penalties then he takes the penalties is how i see it. Doesn't matter what number he wears.

Yeah I think accuracy wise it was a good penalty would've nestled in the bottom corner. It didn't appear as tho Cluxton gave him "the eyes" just relied on accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Brogan IMO should have taken the pen. Because we won nobody will bat aneyelid, but Mayo could have countered it and score a goal of there own if onlyfor more accurate passing.

Don’t think it’s a time wasting idea, you would assume he is the mostaccurate kicker on the pitch and takes the same run up if were 10pts ahead or10 behind

Cant wait for Kildare on Sunday

This still has me scratching me head Rochey :confused: .. I know da big brother Peadar had a cruciate, but thats a good few years ago ..

I can confirm both of Paddy Andrews's Cruciates, are and always have been intact !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

D Connolly normally takes our penalties. Think Cluxton taking them was a last minute decision based on Dermo being out injured. That being said, I am sure that I am not the only Dub who had flash backs of Paddy Cullen & his burning cake in the oven, as Cluxton ran hell for leather back to his own goal ! :eek:

Very, very happy with our performance on Sat. Berno was just a joy to watch, plain and simple. When he is in his pomp, there is simply no one like him. That side line kick was outrageous. Thrilled to see CK plugging the hole that AB's absence left so glaringly vacant last year. Nice to know that we are no longer Donald Ducked in that position if either of them goes down injured again in the summer. :)

That being said, giving up 16 pts to a team that are still missing 3 quality forwards was worrying. Still, we are missing our own Ballymun Kickhams contingent and, Gavin is still experimenting at the back. So I expect things to tighten up there sharpish as the league winds down and summer approaches. :D

Falconno4 wrote: »
    I can confirm both of Paddy Andrews's Cruciates, are and always have been intact !
    Cheers Falcon .. just as I feared I'm none the wiser as to who I was mistaking Paddy with :rolleyes:

Cheers Falcon .. just as I feared I'm none the wiser as to who I was mistaking Paddy with :rolleyes:

You can rest easy, would be sure it's Davoren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I'm not saying Dublin are attempting to waste time by getting cluxton to run up for frees.. I in general consider it wasteful of game time I would say the same if our own Shane Connolly was taking frees.

In saying that cluxton is a fabulous dead ball kicker..

It shouldn't be a waste of game time as the referee is supposed to add on time at the end of the half for delays that take place during the half.

Rule 3.2 The playing time shall consist of two periods of thirty minutes each, but time shall be added on in each period for incidental or deliberate delays. This shall be termed ‘Normal Time’.

Exceptions
    (i) In Inter-County Senior Championship and National League games, the playing time shall consist of two periods of 35 minutes each.
    (ii) The playing time may be reduced by local Bye-Laws for Under 15 or younger games.

Instead referee's add on a minute at the end of each half because they just want to get the match over and done with

Does anyone know if macauley is on a one or two game suspension? hoping to see him back for the kildare match

ProudDUB wrote: »
    D Connolly normally takes our penalties. Think Cluxton taking them was a last minute decision based on Dermo being out injured. That being said, I am sure that I am not the only Dub who had flash backs of Paddy Cullen & his burning cake in the oven, as Cluxton ran hell for leather back to his own goal ! :eek:

Very, very happy with our performance on Sat. Berno was just a joy to watch, plain and simple. When he is in his pomp, there is simply no one like him. That side line kick was outrageous. Thrilled to see CK plugging the hole that AB's absence left so glaringly vacant last year. Nice to know that we are no longer Donald Ducked in that position if either of them goes down injured again in the summer. :)

That being said, giving up 16 pts to a team that are still missing 3 quality forwards was worrying. Still, we are missing our own Ballymun Kickhams contingent and, Gavin is still experimenting at the back. So I expect things to tighten up there sharpish as the league winds down and summer approaches. :D

Tbh i never really thought of him as a playmaker but he was excellent. His ball up the line, which lead to McManamons goal i think, was exquisite.

Does anyone know if macauley is on a one or two game suspension? hoping to see him back for the kildare match

I presume he's on a 4 week suspension

Tbh i never really thought of him as a playmaker but he was excellent. His ball up the line, which lead to McManamons goal i think, was exquisite.

Agree on CK.. He made some excellent pin point passes througout the game and the one for the goal was as you said...exquisite !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

4 week suspension, which must include one game from the competition he was sent off in.

That means his suspension is up on Saturday at midnight and is available to play Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Hope so, I would love to see him back v Kildare, This will be a real indication of were we are really at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Anyone thinking of heading to donegal for the dubs away match april 7th. I am thinking of going wiuth a few mates. anyone know where a good place to stay the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

villains77 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of heading to donegal for the dubs away match april 7th. I am thinking of going wiuth a few mates. anyone know where a good place to stay the night.

We might be heading up on a day trip but one of the lads mentioned staying in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

villains77 wrote: »
    If you want a good night on the town as sgarvan said (I assume you were alluding to me as one of the lads there), Letterkenny is a great spot for a night out and not too far from Ballybofey if you have a car.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Shamed by Longford tonight - I thought this team were unstoppable?

Paracore wrote: »

it was the under 21s playing tonight and hardly shamed they won by one point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

After their 37 point win over Carlow it Looks like the Dubs took Longford for granted tonight. That's a good Longford side and probably good enough to win Leinster now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Somebody is obsessed with the Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Hardly shameful losing to a Leinster minor winning team. You thought they were unstoppable? You need to stop listening to the media because nobody in Dublin thinkso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So how many parts is Longford going to be broken down into now?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Never underestimate any team when they're playing Dublin 'cause they always raise their game 110% against the "hated Dubs"

Never underestimate any team when they're playing Dublin 'cause they always raise their game 110% against the "hated Dubs"

Who said Dublin are "hated"?

It's All in your head son trust me those that hate any county are morons.. There's no anti Dublin agenda. I personally like watching them play they move the ball so fluent very good players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

That longford team has the guts of the team who won a leinster minor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Fair play to Longford on their deserved victory. I think the mistake Dublin made was playing too many of last years minors. It was understandable that the Dublin manager, Dessie Farrell, who was last years Minor manager, selected so many of them. Misguided loyalty perhaps. Hard to understand how Philly Ryan, one of last years's U21 heroes, was on the bench last night instead of on the field. His form for the seniors has been decent.

Advertisement