Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I pretty much always cheer for Dublin when Kerry aren't involved, it that helps heal any wounds :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone of ye see the two lily whites on the hill?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    I pretty much always cheer for Dublin when Kerry aren't involved, it that helps heal any wounds :o

Da ya put yer money where yer heart is ? :rolleyes: .. (Dublin -1) 27/20 on 365 .. sure ya can't win them all ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Right i've had a few days to process the game, i've not read much about what others have said on here;

- Bad, bad game as finals tend to be. Dublin did engage in a LOT of cynical fouls but Mayo had no problem doing it last year so you reap what you sow.

- Some atmosphere on the hill, the Mayo fans added to it greatly. A split Hill is a better Hill imo.

- I was wrong about Ger Brennan. I was worried he was a liability all season long and when it mattered he came up trumps. Fair play.

- Cian O'Sullivan should get an All-Star.

- James McCarthy was our best player for much of the game.

- The young lads didn't perform but the experience will stand to them and they'll be better for it.

- Dublin went a long way to dispel the opinion they're not good at the back(people forget Kerry only scored 6 points in the second half also).

- Dennis Bastick is the unsung hero of the panel.

- Class is always permanent, good lad Bernard.

- Feel sorry for Mayo, as much as Mayo people hate hearing that, their support was tremendous and they were let down by their forwards today. Moving Higgins back was a blunder imo, he was causing all sorts of problems.

- Enda Kenny is a classless individual.

- WE ARE CHAMPIONS!

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Da ya put yer money where yer heart is ? :rolleyes: .. (Dublin -1) 27/20 on 365 .. sure ya can't win them all ..

Only every day of my life.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/the-proper-punter/proper-punter-tangled-blue/

• Advertisement

Good article brother .. 2 outta 3 bets aint bad ... great value in the overs

Good article brother .. 2 outta 3 bets aint bad ... great value in the overs

Think the third bet is money back as well, haven't checked my account tbh, either way 12/5 was an amazing price on it, would back it every day of the week.

Think the third bet is money back as well, haven't checked my account tbh, either way 12/5 was an amazing price on it, would back it every day of the week.

Yeah it was .. I think Flynner reverted to a more defensive role in the latter stages of championship ... I mistakenly took him FGS AGS and FGS for Dublin against the Kingdom - I don't think his shadow got inside the 45 that day :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Good article. Very prescient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I was only buzzing and slagging was all. Maybe I misused the term "trolling", bit strong use of the word. I was only meaning to be light-hearted. Just thought it was a bit funny how I was salivating over Dublin's league form back in March and felt it could lead to another Sam and how quickly I was shot down (in a nice way too!).

I just thought it was a little ironic and just wanted to have a bit of a laugh over it. I seriously meant nothing malicious by it AT ALL. It was only a bit of a laugh and trying to be funny or something. There was seriously zero malice intended. All I intended was to have a bit of fun and to try and have a bit of a laugh at how predictions made can come true at such an early stage. My misuse of the word "trolling" might have been stupid on my part. I do not, have not and will not engage in trolling, in any forum on boards.ie. Maybe I do stupid things and maybe I get a bit overly excited or something, but it is never deliberate trolling.

No hard feelings to anyone, I hope. Can't we all just get along?! :o

• Advertisement

DazMarz wrote: »
    I was only buzzing and slagging was all. Maybe I misused the term "trolling", bit strong use of the word. I was only meaning to be light-hearted. Just thought it was a bit funny how I was salivating over Dublin's league form back in March and felt it could lead to another Sam and how quickly I was shot down (in a nice way too!).

I just thought it was a little ironic and just wanted to have a bit of a laugh over it. I seriously meant nothing malicious by it AT ALL. It was only a bit of a laugh and trying to be funny or something. There was seriously zero malice intended. All I intended was to have a bit of fun and to try and have a bit of a laugh at how predictions made can come true at such an early stage. My misuse of the word "trolling" might have been stupid on my part. I do not, have not and will not engage in trolling, in any forum on boards.ie. Maybe I do stupid things and maybe I get a bit overly excited or something, but it is never deliberate trolling.

No hard feelings to anyone, I hope. Can't we all just get along?! :o
    we can mate maybe I read too much into it sorry..

Can we all be friends with Freddie k?

Did any of you see me and bro on the hill?? Both in full Kildare attire..

I thought at least one person here would have spotted us we stick out like site thumbs :D

we can mate maybe I read too much into it sorry..

Can we all be friends with Freddie k?

Good man! :D

And I think that might just be a little bridge, just a little bit too far...

I thought at least one person here would have spotted us we stick out like site thumbs :D

Coulda been mistaken for Tyrone fans, as there were a few of them on the Hill. White jerseys and all that.

Save us the trouble and tag yerself !! http://fanpic.huggity.com/197-2013-eircom_gaa_final/app/index.php

Coulda been mistaken for Tyrone fans, as there were a few of them on the Hill. White jerseys and all that.

Nah we had a banner saying we are here for sam was about 6 foot by 6 foot :D

Some craic with few of the dubs on the hill they thought we were ****ing mad

Can't really look now ill have a goo later after work.. I didn't realise that the whole stadium was visible that's amazing

One thing I've noticed looking back over all the games of the season in the last while, Dublin's players (forwards moreso) need to take a leaf from Bastick's book and not go for glory themselves; pass it to the man in the better position and let him bury it. Less selfishness next year from the forwards, and Dublin will be even better. That is a huge thing that Gavin should work on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd tag myself, but there's a barrier from the top of the perspex blocking my face. Horrible camera position for the Hill...

I'd tag myself, but there's a barrier from the top of the perspex blocking my face. Horrible camera position for the Hill...

Yeah, fairly sure I was obscured by a rope or part of the barrier. sucks... was looking forward to tagging myself in it (yes, I am a child).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was at the game and I think it was clear the best team won . . Hard luck to Mayo, I don't actually think either team brought their A game on the day . .

I would like to address some of the twits around who seem to be whining about a few things . .

Particularly the Dublin cynical tactics. . There seems to be little said of the fact that Dublin finished the game with 12 fit players. Most of their substitutes and O'Gara/O'Carroll/McAuley were injured. You don't get that many injuries in an average game . . Its either that Mayo are the most amazingly competent team at being physical within the rules of the game, or perhaps it was just complete and utter coincidence that Dublin needed to make as many changes down to injury.

Dublin won the game, so not many Dubs feel the need to rub it in, but Mayo were not exactly whiter then white in how they went about trying to win the game. Several times Mayo players with possession launched/charged themselves at Dublin players (and they subsequently won frees). I also find it interesting that the free count was nearly 3-1 , if we even look at the injury count (so we are to believe that Dublin players got injured committing fouls?!). There was nearly as many injuries to Dublin players as their was fouls supposedly committed against the Dubs. .

That aside, considering the way Dublin ended with 12 fit players, I think its understandable (not necessarily excusable) that they tried to slow the game down in the manner in which they did. It was nowhere near the same as a 15 man Tyrone team reverting to the same tactics.

I dont think anybody in the media or in Dublin wants to rub it in cause everybody feels for Mayo, but lets not allow anti Dublin twits get ahead of themselves and allow a one sided rant continue . .

Fair points well made brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Absolute gent !

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Drumpot wrote: »
    That aside, considering the way Dublin ended with 12 fit players, I think its understandable (not necessarily excusable) that they tried to slow the game down in the manner in which they did. It was nowhere near the same as a 15 man Tyrone team reverting to the same tactics..

Tyrone would've been crucified for doing the same even if the entire team was crocked (bear no ill-will towards Dublin, just some media perceptions). The finale to the game just seemed like a bit of a joke in the light of some of the sanctimonious nonsense coming out of the media this year about Tyrone and the sport at large (and I don't blame Dublin for closing the game out, all the top teams do it). Dublin slowed things down in the closing stages of the semi-final as well, stopping a free being taken and Paddy Andrews jumping on a Kerry player's back - and also fouled the Mayo backs a fair amount on Sunday. Don't like saying that but it's just the truth. I just fail to see how Tyrone are somehow about ten times more cynical than everyone else - Mayo did the same to you guys last year as well, everyone's at it. I think because Tyrone set up more defensively this year than usual and won a few matches in a row by 2 points (not saying we ever played off-the-cuff although no modern teams play truly traditionally anyway), that whenever we were cynical, it was exacerbated because the matches were already dogged affairs.

As I said, I honestly bear no ill-will towards Dublin, just a bit sick of rte etc this year. Was reading the papers on Sunday morning and the amount of veiled references to Tyrone and how the sport was being redeemed was a bit much. In fairness I bought into it a bit myself, thought it was gonna be a final for the ages but obviously most finals don't turn out to be classics.

Hope I don't come across as too negative - as a Tyrone fan I know it's irritating to be criticised for this kinda stuff ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Moneymaker wrote: »

Top man.

Any excuse to show off the guns ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

aveytare wrote: »
    Tyrone would've been crucified for doing the same even if the entire team was crocked (bear no ill-will towards Dublin, just some media perceptions). The finale to the game just seemed like a bit of a joke in the light of some of the sanctimonious nonsense coming out of the media this year about Tyrone and the sport at large (and I don't blame Dublin for closing the game out, all the top teams do it). Dublin slowed things down in the closing stages of the semi-final as well, stopping a free being taken and Paddy Andrews jumping on a Kerry player's back - and also fouled the Mayo backs a fair amount on Sunday. Don't like saying that but it's just the truth. I just fail to see how Tyrone are somehow about ten times more cynical than everyone else - Mayo did the same to you guys last year as well, everyone's at it. I think because Tyrone set up more defensively this year than usual and won a few matches in a row by 2 points (not saying we ever played off-the-cuff although no modern teams play truly traditionally anyway), that whenever we were cynical, it was exacerbated because the matches were already dogged affairs.

As I said, I honestly bear no ill-will towards Dublin, just a bit sick of rte etc this year. Was reading the papers on Sunday morning and the amount of veiled references to Tyrone and how the sport was being redeemed was a bit much. In fairness I bought into it a bit myself, thought it was gonna be a final for the ages but obviously most finals don't turn out to be classics.

Hope I don't come across as too negative - as a Tyrone fan I know it's irritating to be criticised for this kinda stuff ;)
    I think these are fair points, one or two interviews are played and played again, or written about. Tyrone had to wait until they were finished before the were correctly recognised as a great team, comments like puke football etc. The turn around from Brolly is remarkable, he also seems to get joy from teams trying and failing, like the pillar Dublin team, or kildare.

I really don't know how a guy who did nothing but push the positives of Ulster football for so long can turn on Tyrone like that.

In the second half of the game on Sunday Mayo were clearly tackling MDMA to stop him receiving the ball again after he laid it off, understandably he was running it into Brogan and Mayo needed to stop it, these things happen.
    There has been too much BS about Mayo kerry and Dublin saving football IMHO, If it's that good it will beat negative football. The dubs pulled Mayo players down on Sunday to wrap up the game, it was not pretty, it was necessary.

aveytare wrote: »

The last 10 minutes of the AI final were not a true representation of how Dublin played all year. If a win at all costs mentality clicks in when a team feel Sam within their grasp, that's one thing. To adopt that approach in each and every game that you play, all year long, is something else entirely.

I saw things in Tyrones league games this year, that were just as bad as what we saw on Sunday & they were still doing it 6 months later. When Dublin did it, it was very much out of character. I am not saying that that automatically makes it right, but I don't think that you should judge the two the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The last 10 minutes of the AI final were not a true representation of how Dublin played all year. If a win at all costs mentality clicks in when a team feel Sam within their grasp, that's one thing. To adopt that approach in each and every game that you play, all year long, is something else entirely.

I saw things in Tyrones league games this year, that were just as bad as what we saw on Sunday & they were still doing it 6 months later. When Dublin did it, it was very much out of character. I am not saying that that automatically makes it right, but I don't think that you should judge the two the same way.

That's fair enough, I just think some of Tyrone's cynical play arose out of the fact that they were winning matches by a point or two - like in the first league match against yourselves for which we got a fair bit of criticism. I think before that match the black card wasn't even expected to pass so it might've swung things the other way. Tyrone were obviously very defensive this year, though we've been hammered by Dublin and Kerry the last few years and a defensive team won the all-ireland in 2012 so I can half-understand it. Maybe next year we'll be a bit more open, we've some good young forwards coming through, so who knows. Anyway this topic isn't about Tyrone, it's about Dublin and enjoy your success.

• Advertisement

6,000 posts and not out... Dear me, I defo have no life!!!

Up the Dubs! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Hi guys, question here

Is paul griffin playing with crokes ATM
    Do ye know or is he done? Cracking corner back I know injury cost him an AI (as captain possibly) and maybe even 2!

Is there even any chance we may see him in a dub shirt again? Have relations in stillorgan who say he's an absolute gent and lives dub football. Great see him with an involvement in 2011 team (stats)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Was at his u21 final as an under 12 in 02 I think v Galway and I picked him out then as a future star somehow haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Hi guys, question here

Do ye know or is he done? Cracking corner back I know injury cost him an AI (as captain possibly) and maybe even 2!

Is there even any chance we may see him in a dub shirt again? Have relations in stillorgan who say he's an absolute gent and lives dub football. Great see him with an involvement in 2011 team (stats)

Not sure this year Gerry but I didn't see him line out for Kilmacud in any of the championship games last year (that I seen). But like you said the injury has certainly cost him two AI's as well as captaining one. Awful shame as he is a fine corner back and leader. Really do hope he makes it back to the county scene as I'd have him in before Cooper all day if 100% fit.

I remember looking at him on the steps of the Hogan in 2011 when Cullen was giving his speech, and feeling a real level of sympathy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Only got to watch the match this morning,(though I knew the result) great win for the Dubs, deserved to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

One week in. Anyone still celebrating? haven't' taken the bunting or flags off the house yet. COYBIB

• Advertisement

Eamo71 wrote: »
    One week in. Anyone still celebrating? haven't' taken the bunting or flags off the house yet. COYBIB

Still get that sudden urge to clench a fist and grin like mad thing at the most random moments.

Car flags still on the car, flag still flying proudly from the apartment window (irritating the fúck out of the neighbours from Kerry, no doubt).

My custom licence plates arrived: 132-D-SAM. One currently on the rear window of the car, the other on the bedroom wall, next to the 11-D-SAM one.

Still loving it. Still watching the recording of the game on my Sky Plus box on a daily basis. Still watching the recording of the Sunday Game from that night.

Was at the same lark 2 years ago. I still to this day will always watch that clip of McManamon's goal against Kerry. Such a heroic clip... "McManamon dodging... MCMANAMON SCORING!!!"

Speaking of which:

Absolutely brilliant. Love that video so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Still get that sudden urge to clench a fist and grin like mad thing at the most random moments.

Car flags still on the car, flag still flying proudly from the apartment window (irritating the fúck out of the neighbours from Kerry, no doubt).

My custom licence plates arrived: 132-D-SAM. One currently on the rear window of the car, the other on the bedroom wall, next to the 11-D-SAM one.

Still loving it. Still watching the recording of the game on my Sky Plus box on a daily basis. Still watching the recording of the Sunday Game from that night.

Was at the same lark 2 years ago. I still to this day will always watch that clip of McManamon's goal against Kerry. Such a heroic clip... "McManamon dodging... MCMANAMON SCORING!!!"

Speaking of which:

Absolutely brilliant. Love that video so much.

Still gives me goosebumps, I still have that entire game recorded on the DVR aswell as the semi this year and of course last Sunday, the missus ain't too impressed with the lack of space left for 'Dont tell the Bride' and feckin 'One born every minute', I care none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I see UCD are still in the Dublin championship. What players play for ucd? What are they edgible?

Eamo71 wrote: »

I vote you leave them up and only replace them when its time for the Christmas decorations to go up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Anyone of ye see the two lily whites on the hill?? :D

Please tell me you have a pic ??

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I see UCD are still in the Dublin championship. What players play for ucd? What are they edgible?

UCD has been a source of rancor for some people in the Dublin SFC. The SFC panel allows players outside of Dublin to play their own county championship and also compete in Dublin SFC. Just reading today that John Heslin of Westmeath who helped St. Lomans to the championship final last weekend will line out for UCD against Judes tonight. The Sigerson panel which included the likes of Rory O'Carroll & Craig Dias will play for Kilmacud. Players such as Donie Kingston (Laois), Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo), Ciaran Lenehan (Meath), Josh Hayes (Cavan) & Niall Kilroy (Roscommon) will have the opportunity to compete in 2 county championships if they desire ..

UCD has been a source of rancor for some people in the Dublin SFC. The SFC panel allows players outside of Dublin to play their own county championship and also compete in Dublin SFC. Just reading today that John Heslin of Westmeath who helped St. Lomans to the championship final last weekend will line out for UCD against Judes tonight. The Sigerson panel which included the likes of Rory O'Carroll & Craig Dias will play for Kilmacud. Players such as Donie Kingston (Laois), Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo), Ciaran Lenehan (Meath), Josh Hayes (Cavan) & Niall Kilroy (Roscommon) will have the opportunity to compete in 2 county championships if they desire ..

Several Dr. Crokes players actually won both Cork & Kerry Championships double-jobbing with UCC in 2011.

Not sure how I feel about it really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Its not good as it undermines the local county championship if the college team wins it. The college team get progressively weaker if they win the Dublin Championship as the competition goes on.

Years ago UCD were allowed to enter a team in the Under 21 Championship. It was good fun, 15 Intercounty players, some of them Senior against average club teams and even in the final they would be coming up against teams with only about 5-7 Dublin U21 Panelists.

Several Dr. Crokes players actually won both Cork & Kerry Championships double-jobbing with UCC in 2011.

Not sure how I feel about it really...

Yeah much the same as myself .. their opponents will argue that the players offer little or nothing to the development (in our case) of Dublin football ... strangely enough the gates are well and truly shut when it comes to hurling for some reason

I don't know, I tend to think anything that raises the standard of club football in a county is very likely to be beneficial overall...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lohans sister in law

http://balls.ie/gaa/teammates-want-murder/

This is fairly brilliant. You have to read this. I see Eamon Fennell acknowledged he was no. 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dots1982 wrote: »

UCD beaten tonight against St Judes,lost 3-12 to 1-5

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Hi guys, question here

don't think Paul Griffin playing club football anymore,never properly recovered when done his cruciate twice,his club and county team mate Mark Davoren had same injury and never played again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Gael85 wrote: »
    UCD beaten tonight against St Judes,lost 3-12 to 1-5

That's a big one for Jude's. I mean they were favourites, but that is a big win. How much did Macker score?

ST JUDE’S 3-12 UCD 1-5
    A powerful opening half saw St Jude’s knockout UCD when winning by an impressive 13 points.
    The Tymon North men did their real damage in a ten-minute spell midway through the opening half when Ronan Joye and Declan Donnelly (two, one penalty) grabbed goals to catapult their side to a 3-7 to 0-2 interval advantage.
    SCORERS – St Jude’s: D Donnelly 2-1 (1-0pen), R Joyce 1-1, K McManamon (1f), J Donnelly (1f), M Sweeney 0-2, C Guckian, C Murphy, E Dalton, P Maguire 0-1 each. UCD: J Heslin 1-0, C Boyle, P Reilly (0-1 ’45′) 0-2, N Kilroy 0-1.
    ST JUDE’S: JB Carthy; C McBride, G Roche, R Finnegan; N Cronan, C Guckian, T McKeon; C Murphy, P Cunningham; M Sweeney, R O’Brien, R Joyce; J Donnelly, D Donnelly, K McManamon. Subs: P Maguire for J Donnelly (47), E Dalton for McManamon (52), B McManamon for O’Brien and F O’Brien for Cronan (56), S Breheny for Roche (60).
    UCD: E Kehoe; J Hayes, P Harnan, M Furlong; C Boyle, C Lenehan, S McEntee; C Sheridan, L Keaney; S Cadden, N Kelly, L Kelly; M Hughes, J Heslin, M O’Hanlon.Subs: N Kilroy for L Kelly (28), D Wood for McEntee and P Reilly for Cadden (half-time), S O’Sullivan for Sheridan (40), M Dinneen for Lenehan (43)..
    REF: R Malone (St Mary’s Saggart).

• Advertisement
Advertisement