Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Any more word on Dubs new sponsor?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Andy Kettle said they hope to have an announcement by the end of October, narrowed it down to two or three at the moment according to some article I read today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I vote you leave them up and only replace them when its time for the Christmas decorations to go up. :D
    Still there - so are the neighbours. With three small kids the Hallowen decorations will be up next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Anyone have any ideas on possibilities?
    At least we get rid of that god awful kit.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

El Viz wrote: »

Paper article said reduced payment expected, 3 year deal, insurance companies and one phone company still in running. New Jersey out for Christmas.

El Viz wrote: »

The mobile phone company, and current Waterford sponsor, "3" are rumoured to be one of the companies.

copacetic wrote: »
    Paper article said reduced payment expected, 3 year deal, insurance companies and one phone company still in running. New Jersey out for Christmas.

There was an article a few weeks back stating that we'd be getting more than Vodafone deal.

There was an article a few weeks back stating that we'd be getting more than Vodafone deal.

Latest one with kettle quotes says market has softened quite a bit and he is expecting a reduced deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Great to see 12 Dubs nominated for All Stars - also Cluxton & MDM for POTY - Jack Mc & Mannion for young player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Good number of nominations alright...don't know if there will be any certainties outside of Cluxton, MDMA, and Brogan though. Per usual they've played a bit of silly buggers with the positions so that certain players don't lose out despite them not playing much/any of the season in their all star position...not bothered too much though, good to see the best players getting the recognition

As is said every year the final has a huge weighting in the POTY award...no O'Shea and to a lesser extent Canvanagh and Cooper. Keegan had a brilliant game in the final so fair fvcks to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

GK1001 wrote: »
    Good number of nominations alright...don't know if there will be any certainties outside of Cluxton, MDMA, and Brogan though. Per usual they've played a bit of silly buggers with the positions so that certain players don't lose out despite them not playing much/any of the season in their all star position...not bothered too much though, good to see the best players getting the recognition

As is said every year the final has a huge weighting in the POTY award...no O'Shea and to a lesser extent Canvanagh and Cooper. Keegan had a brilliant game in the final so fair fvcks to him.

Paul Flynn has got to be a shoe in, as does Rory O'Carroll I would have said. Also the fact that Cian O'Sullivan is nominated as a half back probably tells you he'll pick up an award.

Very surprised Cluxton got the POTY nomination ahead of Aidan O'Shea. Cluxton conceded a fair few goals in the championship last year, more than in previous years and his free taking was solid if unspectacular. Seems a bit strange he'd get the nod ahead of someone like O'Shea who could have arguably won the award. Presumably MDMA will get it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Paul Flynn has got to be a shoe in, as does Rory O'Carroll I would have said. Also the fact that Cian O'Sullivan is nominated as a half back probably tells you he'll pick up an award.

Very surprised Cluxton got the POTY nomination ahead of Aidan O'Shea. Cluxton conceded a fair few goals in the championship last year, more than in previous years and his free taking was solid if unspectacular. Seems a bit strange he'd get the nod ahead of someone like O'Shea who could have arguably won the award. Presumably MDMA will get it anyway.

I agree with your position on Cluxton, but not AOS, thought he was great when Mayo were motoring but missing against Dublin and Tyrone. SOS showed up in the important games for Mayo. I hope he picks up an award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think Cluxton will get POTY. He is simply superb at just about everything he does.

His distribution has been better this year than anytime before. His kick-outs and general distribution were vital all year and were mainly responsible for beating Mayo, (Although I think he came to quick for goal in 2nd half). We dominated when we needed to because his selection of passes to players launched Dublin attacks and took Mayo players completely out of the game. MDMA and Paul Flynn are shoe-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    I agree with your position on Cluxton, but not AOS, thought he was great when Mayo were motoring but missing against Dublin and Tyrone. SOS showed up in the important games for Mayo. I hope he picks up an award.

He did allow Bastick to run in behind him for the deciding score of the game though. Cian O' Sullivan bounced both of them off for an important score too. Bar the first 15 minutes the two of them were well beaten by the Dublin pair.

Lot of talk about a lot of the Mayo players but for me COS, MDM and Sean Cavanagh are far more deserving All Stars in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sean Cavanagh and MDM are the two outstanding midfielders this season easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Aidan O'Shea was top class to this year.

Cluxton for Player of the Year for me, nobody is even close to Cluxton when it comes to influencing how a team plays and how it wins.

Cluxton for Player of the Year for me, nobody is even close to Cluxton when it comes to influencing how a team plays and how it wins.

I think thats completely overstating it.

Yes Cluxton strikes the ball beautifully and is very accurate in finding his man but its easy to lose sight of the fact that Dublin, as a team, work damn hard to create the space in the first place.

A couple of examples. I lost count of how many times in the second half against Mayo Cluxton found a man breaking towards the Cusack Stand. Easy to forget thats all planned. The rest aren't running towards the Hogan for the laugh.

Likewise against Cork. Dublin flooded to the wings only for Cluxton to drill it up the middle to Connolly or KK breaking from the forward line.

Like i said there's endless skill in Cluxton's accuracy but he's not the magic man finding players at will. All of that is a team effort perfected in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Pissings of rain kept me away from Club Champs this week - but got up yesterday afternoon to IFC of Na Fianna/Syls .. Na Fianna squeaking thru in extra time - btw think DCB are pullin da wire with the admittance prices :mad:

Anyways on the All Stars chat - I'd be very surprised if ROC wasn't given one, I thought he was immense throughout in what was at times a flaky back line (not necessarily the fault of those there but their exposure by others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Aidan O'Shea was top class to this year.

As a Mayo fan he was top class in the Donegal game- of that there's no doubt- but he was really overhyped apart from that

Seamus played better than him in every other game for me. Aidan did fine in Connacht but was up against nothing in any game. It was only towards the latter stages of the qualifiers the Galway midfield began to find their feet

He was disappointing in the semi and final, just when he was needed most really

I'd go as far as saying I'd have no real qualms if he was actually left out next year myself. Saying that when he's on form hes better all round than Seamus, and sadly I can't see Seamus being as influential again (lets face it he came from nowhere this year- he wasnt much more than solid in 2011)

I think Barry Moran is our best all round midfielder. He caused ye plenty of problems and all last year

In other news- I saw that Crokes goal on Joe.ie. Madness, how the hell was it disallowed? Pity that clown wasn't reffing the AI final we'd be bringing Sam home to Mayo lads with that Brogan goal being disallowed ;) haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sean Cavanagh and MDM are the two outstanding midfielders this season easily.

Cavanagh was just as anonymous in just as many games this year as AOS, indeed probably more so given how average he was in the Donegal game. He's no slam dunk in a compete ion for a midfield slot. Seamus O'Shea would be the obvious partner for MDM in the All-Star midfield if names meant nothing.

Cavanagh isn't a midfielder in any real sense honestly and naming him in the HF line is one of the few gerrymandering acts by the selection committee that I have no problems with.

AIG are the new Dublin sponsors. Possibly something like this..

AR-309049919.jpg&MaxW=460&imageVersion=default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Anything is better than Vodafone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Fair play to the Dublin County Board, getting a lucrative deal like that mustn't have been easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

€2M over 5 years for Ladies & Mens Hurling/Camogie and Football teams.

How does that compare to previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anything is better than Vodafone !!

Never thought th Vodafone looked that bad. They also seemed to give us a decent bit of cash which must have helped in some way towards two All Irelands in three seasons

prospect wrote: »
    €2M over 5 years for Ladies & Mens Hurling/Camogie and Football teams.

How does that compare to previous years?

They got 3 million for a shorter period of time from Vodafone if memory serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

corny wrote: »
    They got 3 million for a shorter period of time from Vodafone if memory serves.

1 millions a year according to the times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/dublin-gaa-board-optimistic-about-maintaining-1m-sponsorship-deal-1.1488427

Was signed in different times. I still think it is a poor deal, 400k a year which includes the female sponsorship. I'm sure they did all they could.

Not sure where €2m over 5 years is coming from. The deal is €5m over 5 years according to the Irish times.

So basically the same money as Vodafone deal but AIG get a longer option and full coverage of all teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Not sure where €2m over 5 years is coming from. The deal is €5m over 5 years according to the Irish times.

So basically the same money as Vodafone deal but AIG get a longer option and full coverage of all teams.

Irish Times is the only place reports 5m. Everywhere I look says 2m.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2013/1008/479184-aig-new-dublin-gaa-sponsor-in-2-million-deal/

5m sounds about right to me. We will have to wait for clarification.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    1 millions a year according to the times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/dublin-gaa-board-optimistic-about-maintaining-1m-sponsorship-deal-1.1488427

Was signed in different times. I still think it is a poor deal, 400k a year which includes the female sponsorship. I'm sure they did all they could.

If it was for three years then i was right.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

AIG are the new Dublin sponsors. Possibly something like

I wonder will we see some split Dublin - Man United jerseys on the hill next year so! That way they can head to the pub, look at united, show their support and head off the Croker on time for the dubs and have their bit of blue on as well!

AIG are the new Dublin sponsors. Possibly something like

I wonder will we see some split Dublin - Man United jerseys on the hill next year so! That way they can head to the pub, look at united, show their support and head off the Croker on time for the dubs and have their bit of blue on as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Neeson wrote: »

[....tumbleweed......]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Neeson wrote: »

Yawn. 2/10, must work harder.

Sorry it was only a joke. A poor one but a joke nonetheless. I'm sure some nutter might try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Newstalk are saying it is a €4M deal today?

Hogan stand saying €3.5M

RTE - €2M

Times - €5M

I'd say €15M, yep that'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes i heard 4M over 5 years on newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Consider that I heard somewhere that Leitrim got 15k sponsorship in 2012. No wonder Dublin are light years ahead of the majority of the counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Consider that I heard somewhere that Leitrim got 15k sponsorship in 2012. No wonder Dublin are light years ahead of the majority of the counties.

I wouldn't say Dublin are light years ahead of all the other counties, I think all the work that the Dublin County Board has put in over the years in both codes has come to fruition but you can't draw a line from the sponsorship money and say that Dublin have suddenly become invincible. Once you are below a certain population threshold it's hard to say what effect money has on the development of a team. If Leitrim were to come into say, €1m tomorrow, how good could they reasonably expect to get given the structures they have and still only a population of 30,000? It would be a good number of years before they would be challenging for Connacht even.

Just shows what winning an All-Ireland can do for a team, its 'brand' and 'marketability'. Given Dublin's population and success in recent years it's hard to see the money train slowing down any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I wouldn't say Dublin are light years ahead of all the other counties, I think all the work that the Dublin County Board has put in over the years in both codes has come to fruition but you can't draw a line from the sponsorship money and say that Dublin have suddenly become invincible. Once you are below a certain population threshold it's hard to say what effect money has on the development of a team. If Leitrim were to come into say, €1m tomorrow, how good could they reasonably expect to get given the structures they have and still only a population of 30,000? It would be a good number of years before they would be challenging for Connacht even.

Just shows what winning an All-Ireland can do for a team, its 'brand' and 'marketability'. Given Dublin's population and success in recent years it's hard to see the money train slowing down any time soon.

The sponsorship that Dublin gets can pay for a huge amount of coaching, development squads, strength and conditioning coaches and programs, pay for coaching jobs for players without jobs/create summer work for younger players to keep them at home.

The sponsorship that Dublin gets can pay for a huge amount of coaching, development squads, strength and conditioning coaches and programs, pay for coaching jobs for players without jobs/create summer work for younger players to keep them at home.

Agreed, but my point was that if you don't have the population first and foremost then the money isn't going to be as much as an advantage. Dublin will always have the population and the money follows on from there. No doubt the Dublin County Board have been shrewd with the money for a long time though, although it does help not having to maintain a huge ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Parnell Park holds 12,000 people. It also host a lot of club games that the likes of Fitzgerald Stadium and Pairc Ui Chaoimh would rarely host, so its maintenance & upkeep wouldn't come cheap. It also doesn't have the concert revenue generating potential for the county boards that the likes of Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the Gaelic Grounds and Nowlan Park have.

Kerry GAA don't get any money from concerts in Fitzgerald Stadium - it's privately owned.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Parnell Park holds 12,000 people. It also host a lot of club games that the likes of Fitzgerald Stadium and Pairc Ui Chaoimh would rarely host, so its maintenance & upkeep wouldn't come cheap. It also doesn't have the concert revenue generating potential for the county boards that the likes of Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the Gaelic Grounds and Nowlan Park have.

Of course Parnell Park doesn't come for free, it is an advantage though not having to build or refurbish and pay the loan repayments for an inter-county standard stadium, unlike other counties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Let's not forget the huge new facilities opened up in Derry (€3.5 million), Kerry (€5.8 million) and Tyrone (€7.8 million). This deal, worth less per annum than the Vodafone one, gives Dublin a fighting financial chance.

Don't forget, all the money that us h*roin obsessed c*k* sniffers pay into Leinster quarter-finals in Croke Park is evenly redistributed by the Leinster Council.

Let's not forget the huge new facilities opened up in Derry (€3.5 million), Kerry (€5.8 million) and Tyrone (€7.8 million). This deal, worth less per annum than the Vodafone one, gives Dublin a fighting financial chance.

Isn't the GAA building a €9M Centre of Excellence for Dublin in Blanchardstown?
    Don't forget, all the money that us h*roin obsessed c*k* sniffers pay into Leinster quarter-finals in Croke Park is evenly redistributed by the Leinster Council.

This stuff? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Heroin, coke sniffing scumbags? That's what us Dublin GAA supporters are if you read Kildare forums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

keane2097 wrote: »
    Isn't the GAA building a €9M Centre of Excellence for Dublin in Blanchardstown?

This stuff? Really?

The centre in Blanchardstown, if it happens, will be open to all Leinster counties. It will also be part of a national facility, like Abbotstown, rather than a Dublin-only facility.

I'm merely reflecting a widely held dislike of Dublin. Do I have a chip on my shoulder? Perhaps. Or else I've been on boards.ie for five years, and read the ridiculous comments of non-Dubs under thejournal.ie's (possibly thescore.ie) article about the AIG deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

New geansaí

1382412_535407009875659_1205329073_n.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement