Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All set for the replay tomorrow night?

My money is on Ballymun, I think Ted will stick a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

What does the weather look like for the game tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭mjp

Dean rock looks a big doubt for ballymun tonight after picking up knee injury the last day. If he's fit and starts would fancy ballymuns experience to get them over the line. Should have won it n both normal and extra time on Sunday if it wasn't for poor decisions taken by some players at critical times. Expect a big crowd there tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

mjp wrote: »
    Dean rock looks a big doubt for ballymun tonight after picking up knee injury the last day. If he's fit and starts would fancy ballymuns experience to get them over the line. Should have won it n both normal and extra time on Sunday if it wasn't for poor decisions taken by some players at critical times. Expect a big crowd there tonight.

Rumored to be ok and to play tonight.

Close game Ballymun looked out on their their feet.
    The Connolly McMahon row was interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Couldn't make the game so only know what Ive read on line. What happened between Connolly and McMahon?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

3 Hurling All Stars for Dublin - Liam Rushe, Peter Kelly and Danny Sutcliffe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    Couldn't make the game so only know what Ive read on line. What happened between Connolly and McMahon?
    There was a bit of trouble involving a few players. McMahon went down and was lying with his stomach to the ground. Connolly walked past him from behind and stood on his back.

There was a bit of trouble involving a few players. McMahon went down and was lying with his stomach to the ground. Connolly walked past him from behind and stood on his back.

I didn't see that but was very close to the action, something like that must have happened. McMahon got a yellow in the first half and dished out a late tackle to a Vincent's player who was having a pop for a point, the ref spoke to him and he was lucky not to get a second yellow.

Connolly got a straight red. After Connelly was sent off McMahon got up and for whatever reason he threw a wobbler, he lunged ttowards the ref as he was given his second yellow. I don't know if the ref said something to annoy him but I've no idea why he was actually booked. McMahon then headed off and had some verbals with Connelly on the sidelines. Then the ref threw the ball in. I've no idea how it all happened, Ballymun seemed to have been in a position where they had a free and were a man up to McMahon off and the free was gone.

I didn't see Connelly walk on anyone but he did leave the foot in, the linesman was very near. It was a straight red for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Gerlad

While Philly was on the ground, he grabbed Connolly's leg as he was walking by and Connolly lashed out with a kick/stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

3 Hurling All Stars for Dublin - Liam Rushe, Peter Kelly and Danny Sutcliffe

Well deserved all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Ger Brennan's nephews doing the half time entertainment in the SFC final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak6AGJBmQ44

tapfit2004 wrote: »

It was great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

tapfit2004 wrote: »

Thats brilliant.

Found this one aswell, different angle - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151748552215642&set=vb.575505641&type=2&theater
    The crowd really get behind the little lad who was fouled first. Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

toffeeshel wrote: »
    League fixtures (from res dubs forum)

Dublin NFL1 fixtures:

01/02/2014 Kerry - Croke Park
    09/02/2014 Westmeath - Cusack Park
    01/03/2014 Cork - Croke Park
    07/03/2014 Kildare - Croke Park (Friday night lights)
    16/03/2014 Derry - Celtic Park
    29/03/2014 Mayo - Croke Park
    06/04/2014 Tyrone - Healy Park

Lads
    Are these fixtures now set in stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads
    Are these fixtures now set in stone
    I think they MAY be dependent on the hurling league epic saga to be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Bernard Brogan is lighting the Christmas lights in Listowel this year. Some Kerry people are not too keen on it apparently. Eventhough his mother is from Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Dublin will begin defence of the Leinster title against the winners of Laois and Wicklow in Croke Park on Sunday 8 June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Amprodude wrote: »
    Bernard Brogan is lighting the Christmas lights in Listowel this year. Some Kerry people are not too keen on it apparently. Eventhough his mother is from Kerry.

Meh, seems like a pretty weird idea in fairness no? Not like Listowel doesn't have people worthy of lighting their own xmas tree.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Meh, seems like a pretty weird idea in fairness no? Not like Listowel doesn't have people worthy of lighting their own xmas tree.
    I agree, I don't care where any of the Kerry players parents are from, not enough to have them light a tree anyway, I'd imagine Kerry people feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The head of the Listowel Traders Assoc gave an interview on Radio Kerry yesterday, about the decision to invite BB down to turn their lights on. She said that they made a deliberate decision to invite someone who had close family ties to Listowel (BB's Ma is from Listowel) but who didn't grow up or live there, and invite them & their family members who moved away back, as part of The Gathering.

So that's why they went with Berno & not someone from Kerry, or Listowel itself. I heard some of the texts read out about it on the air. Seemed about 50/50. Some of the nastier ones seemed very, very mean spirted. It must be hard for the family that he still has living there, to listen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Amprodude wrote: »

Always thought Kerry people were not prejudice against great footballers ;)

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The head of the Listowel Traders Assoc gave an interview on Radio Kerry yesterday, about the decision to invite BB down to turn their lights on. She said It they made a deliberate decision to invite someone who had close family ties to Listowel (BB's Ma is from Listowel) but who didn't grow up or live there, and invite them & their family members who moved away back, as part of The Gathering.

So that's why they went with Berno & not someone from Kerry, or Listowel itself. I heard some of the texts read out about it on the air. Seemed about 50/50. Some of the nastier ones seemed very, very mean spirted. It must be hard for the family that he still has living there, to listen to that.

Well maybe Brogan is too close to home, also he lives in Dublin and does not need to be gathered.
    I'd say they wouldn't mind a Dub who'd moved away and was not a footballer, boxer or an actor maybe but not something Kerry are already very good at or a person still in Ireland.

It's just brought out an unnecessary negativity

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

what about Seamus Darby to turn them on, he did turn them off for the
    5 in-a-row

Ha ha ha...Seamus Darby would be brilliant, as long as he brings enough bodyguards.

Billy Keane doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/brogan-invite-lights-up-the-airwaves-in-kingdom-29759513.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

It's a shame how petty and tribal this island can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Talk about making mountains out of mole hills. Seems like a very nice idea by the organisers that has now been tainted by some small minded people who'll probably claim to be big football fans yet can't appreciate a quality non-Kerry footballer. If the situation was reversed I'd have no problem with someone like the Gooch turning on the lights for my local tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Talk about making mountains out of mole hills. Seems like a very nice idea by the organisers that has now been tainted by some small minded people who'll probably claim to be big football fans yet can't appreciate a quality non-Kerry footballer. If the situation was reversed I'd have no problem with someone like the Gooch turning on the lights for my local tree.

If the situ was reversed there'd be absolute uproar from EVERY other county in the land, make no doubt about that.
    They'd tear into us!

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    If the situ was reversed there'd be absolute uproar from EVERY other county in the land, make no doubt about that.
    They'd tear into us!
    Who'd tear into us?
    It would be worse in Dublin I think, purely because football is seen as a rural game, and such actions might support that.
    I'd say if Colin Farrel had Kerry relatives he'd be fine. Brogan being a current Dublin footballer is the issue IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Clearly the wimmin of Listowel were behind this...I'd be careful around North Kerry if I were Berno!

As a Kerry, nay NORTH Kerry man and Kerry football fan I couldn't give a fiddlers who turns on the lights...I just wish Bernard Senior had stayed working in the power station in Tarbert all those years ago, we might have a few more titles under our belt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Clearly the wimmin of Listowel were behind this...I'd be careful around North Kerry if I were Berno!

As a Kerry, nay NORTH Kerry man and Kerry football fan I couldn't give a fiddlers who turns on the lights...I just wish Bernard Senior had stayed working in the power station in Tarbert all those years ago, we might have a few more titles under our belt!

Best post I have seen in a while!!

Donaghy for the Grafton Street lights IMO!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Donaghy for the Grafton Street lights IMO!

Recipe for dropped/smashed bulbs on current form I'm afraid Keano!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Question

name a footballer that won an All-Ireland with Dublin whose parents were actually from Dublin??

tough one I know.

• Advertisement

Yeah, all sixty parents of the thirty panel members who won Sam two months ago, are all from outside The Pale. And so were all the 2011 parents. And the 1995 and 1983 parents. All 120 of them. Every single one. Lord above ! :rolleyes:

I bet the people of Listowel who know of Berno's family connections to the town, who actually know his family, and know how often he and his family go back there, don't have a problem with any of this. It's the people who just see the headline "Dublin Footballer to Turn on The Listowel Christmas Lights" and don't bother to look past it for the back ground info, are the ones who are getting their knickers in a twist imo.

Two years ago, Berno and Jonathan Sexton (who also has a parent from Listowel) were invited down there to officially open the Listowel Food and Wine Festival. I don't recall anyone one kicking up at fuss then, that two Dubs were doing it and not a Kerry fooballers or local dignitary. They were only too happy to have two such well known sports stars come "home" to open their festival. The novelty factor of getting them to do it, got the event more nationwide publicity, that it probably would not have gotten if they rolled out Kieran Donaghy, or one of the Healy Rae's to do it. But two Sam Maguires later (at Kerry's expense :D:D:D ) and all of a sudden, Berno is persona non grata in some quarters down there? A tad hypocritcal no?

freddiek wrote: »
    Question

name a footballer that won an All-Ireland with Dublin whose parents were actually from Dublin??

tough one I know.

You have some serious issues to work out when it comes to Dublin my friend.
    I'd simply laugh at ya, but having a quick look at your most recent posts paints a very pathetic picture.

its my experience that Real Dubs don't play gaelic sports. many wouldn't look at it on the telly even.

the ones with the country parents however, lap it up just like any fella from Laois, Cork, Donegal etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Question

tough one I know.

Name a muldoon who is earning his bread and butter in the capital, and lives there and is greatful !!!!!!!!!!!

Tough one I know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Jaysus Freddie did a Dub piss on your corn flakes or shag your missus??? Either that or you are a very bitter and twisted person. Any way I'm a Dub and love all things GAA, as well as Rugby, Soccer, Tennis, F1 and pretty much all sport.

You'd be better off staying out threads with Dublin in the title as they seem to wind you up a tad.

• Advertisement

how is bitter and twisted if I make a point about the players that come through the ranks to the Dublin team?

A Dubs supporter should be able to see this.

The rural influence is so prevalent you would almost think it was the law for a Dublin player to have a parent(s) from 'down the country'.

But its not. It just happens to be the case that the vast majority of Dublin inter-county footballers tend to have parents who are not from Dublin.

The conclusion I arrive at is that without the country influence Dublin GAA would have died out many years ago. Dublin would not be winning or even contending for All-Irelands. A Leinster title even would be too much to hope for.

Shame about Kildare, was really looking forward to the Friday evening fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Brilliant.

And don't feel the troll lads, just report/ignore the bitter little man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Cheers Fred, so it's plain and simply jealousy at Dublins perceived success. We must have been getting all the shyte footballers until 2011!!!!! Last AI before that was 95. I hope you start up a thread when all the Dubs currently exiled in the surrounding counties start producing inter county footballers for their parents adopted county.
    how is bitter and twisted if I make a point about the players that come through the ranks to the Dublin team?

A Dubs supporter should be able to see this.

The rural influence is so prevalent you would almost think it was the law for a Dublin player to have a parent(s) from 'down the country'.

But its not. It just happens to be the case that the vast majority of Dublin inter-county footballers tend to have parents who are not from Dublin.

The conclusion I arrive at is that without the country influence Dublin GAA would have died out many years ago. Dublin would not be winning or even contending for All-Irelands. A Leinster title even would be too much to hope for.

Yeah, all sixty parents of the thirty panel members who won Sam two months ago, are all from outside The Pale. And so were all the 2011 parents. And the 1995 and 1983 parents. All 120 of them. Every single one. Lord above ! :rolleyes:

I bet the people of Listowel who know of Berno's family connections to the town, who actually know his family, and know how often he and his family go back there, don't have a problem with any of this. It's the people who just see the headline "Dublin Footballer to Turn on The Listowel Christmas Lights" and don't bother to look past it for the back ground info, are the ones who are getting their knickers in a twist imo.

Two years ago, Berno and Jonathan Sexton (who also has a parent from Listowel) were invited down there to officially open the Listowel Food and Wine Festival. I don't recall anyone one kicking up at fuss then, that two Dubs were doing it and not a Kerry fooballers or local dignitary. They were only too happy to have two such well known sports stars come "home" to open their festival. The novelty factor of getting them to do it, got the event more nationwide publicity, that it probably would not have gotten if they rolled out Kieran Donaghy, or one of the Healy Rae's to do it. But two Sam Maguires later (at Kerry's expense :D:D:D ) and all of a sudden, Berno is persona non grata in some quarters down there? A tad hypocritcal no?

PD, I've been talking to relatives from home about this (some of whom would be as hardcore as you'll get as Kerry football fans) and have not heard one bit of begrudgery about it to be honest..so I'd suggest a very small minority of idiots/small minded people have strong opinions on this, that's all..no need for the exaggerations and going on about BB being "persona non grata" etc IMO.

For arguments sake, if Gooch were switching on the Xmas lights in O'Connell street (in an alternative universe where Eircom are the government or something..) there would be a fair bit of dissension amongst Dubs of a GAA persuasion and others, but in the same proportion as we've seen in the BB case I'd imagine. It's just symptomatic of humanity that there are idiots everywhere unfortunately and North Kerry certainly isn't immune..one look at our current public representatives confirms that..:rolleyes:

End of rant and discussion as far as I'm confirmed!

ciarriathuaidh, last Friday, I listened to a discussion about all this on a live stream of the lunchtime program that airs on radio Kerry. The head of the Listowel Traders Assoc was on talking about all the kerfuffle. The host read out a lot of texts that were sent into the program afterwards. A lot of them were quite nasty. There was more than one person who said that they were going to boycott the event because BB was invited over one of their own footballers. She said that the feedback that they were getting was about 50/50 for & against. There is probably a podcast of the show on the Radio Kerry website, if you want to go back and listen to it for yourself.

That is largely what I based my opinion on. I didn't pull my opinions on all this out of thin air. Nor did I make them up or exagerate them with an intent of taking a pop at Kerry people. I'm surprised at this happening as anyone, as I thought they they were very proud of the Brogans being half Kerry men. I've lost count of the discussions I have had with Kerry people over the past few years, who like to cheekily tell me that Dublin only won our two most recent All Ireland's, because we had 2 Kerry men on board.

Comparing Colm Cooper turning on the lights up here, to BB doing it in Listowel, is not a valid comparison imo. CC has no ties (that I know of) to Dublin. BB has loads of ties to Listowel. If CC had all the ties to a regional Dublin town that BB does to Listowel (mother from there, still has family there, still visits there, is well known in the local community of the town, talks about the place a lot in post match interviews whenever the two counties play etc etc) I honestly do not think that the residents of that town would have a problem with him turning on the lights. They would see him as a native returning, son due to his mother being from there. If we got some random lad, with no connection to the Dublin, then yeah, people might be up in arms about it, but Listowel people are not doing that, so I don't see what all the fuss is about really.

One thing to remember is that in any instance, the people who have an issue with something are the ones most likely to say something about it. I'd like to think the nasty stuff you are talking about wouldn't account for the views of 50% of the people in Listowel or Kerry.

ciarriathuaidh, last Friday, I listened to a discussion about all this on a live stream of the lunchtime program that airs on radio Kerry. The head of the Listowel Traders Assoc was on talking about all the kerfuffle. The host read out a lot of texts that were sent into the program afterwards. A lot of them were quite nasty. There was more than one person who said that they were going to boycott the event because BB was invited over one of their own footballers. She said that the feedback that they were getting was about 50/50 for & against. There is probably a podcast of the show on the Radio Kerry website, if you want to go back and listen to it for yourself.

That is largely what I based my opinion on. I didn't pull my opinions on all this out of thin air. Nor did I make them up or exagerate them with an intent of taking a pop at Kerry people. I'm surprised at this happening as anyone, as I thought they they were very proud of the Brogans being half Kerry men. I've lost count of the discussions I have had with Kerry people over the past few years, who like to cheekily tell me that Dublin only won our two most recent All Ireland's, because we had 2 Kerry men on board.

Comparing Colm Cooper turning on the lights up here, to BB doing it in Listowel, is not a valid comparison imo. CC has no ties (that I know of) to Dublin. BB has loads of ties to Listowel. If CC had all the ties to a regional Dublin town that BB does to Listowel (mother from there, still has family there, still visits there, is well known in the local community of the town, talks about the place a lot in post match interviews whenever the two counties play etc etc) I honestly do not think that the residents of that town would have a problem with him turning on the lights. They would see him as a native returning, son due to his mother being from there. If we got some random lad, with no connection to the Dublin, then yeah, people might be up in arms about it, but Listowel people are not doing that, so I don't see what all the fuss is about really.

See Keane's response below. Would just add clowns who ring/text radio chat shows are exactly the kind of idiots I was talking about. So some woman sent in a text that was nasty, so what? Go ask anyone from Listowel Emmetts or any other club in the area and I'll bet the reaction would be 99% positive or neutral. Anyone talking of boycotting the event isn't worth talking about IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

Question

tough one I know.
    Well, two Brogans, Rock, McCaffrey and McCarthy's fathers all played for Dublin so I guess that's at least five from this year.

yeah he's half a culchie. Like basically all of the Dublin panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement