Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Christmas is stupid anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27 millhouse11

Haha this fredderick guy is actually from the soccer county of louth,lol how ironic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

dring wrote: »
    Well, two Brogans, Rock, McCaffrey and McCarthy's fathers all played for Dublin so I guess that's at least five from this year.

That's the father but where's the mother from?

I'm not 100% but I remember reading somewhere that both of Bobby Doyle's parents were Dublin born.
    As for the few who have issues with Dublin players with parents from outside Dublin playing for Dublin, without them they would have to rely on the grandchildren of the Dublin women who laid down with the Black and Tans in Monto

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    As for the few who have issues with Dublin players with parents from outside Dublin playing for Dublin, without them they would have to rely on the grandchildren of the Dublin women who laid down with the Black and Tans in Monto

:rolleyes: And with that statement, this thread has officially jumped the shark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

freddiek wrote: »
    Question

name a footballer that won an All-Ireland with Dublin whose parents were actually from Dublin??

tough one I know.
    You were warned.
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

:D Good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Freezing cold outside today, staying at home I looked again at the Dublin/Kerry SF and then the All Ireland, sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Anyone heading to the Vincents game this afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Would love to but cant.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Would love to but cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Good win for Vins today. Mossy Quinn the main man for the umpteenth game in a row. He's a cut above at club level…effortless scores and a joy to watch…as a Vincents man of course.
    Summerhill got into a good 3pt lead midway through the first and looked very hungry making a mockery of the 5 pt handicap. Then Mossy got a well taken goal to level it and Vins went a couple ahead going into HT.
    Vins started well after the break tagging on 4 more pts to give a 6pt gap and they looked like running up a score from here.
    Then Summerhill got a goal. Nice ball in and the Vins keeper should've done better…caught on his heels and the Summerhill forward punched in ahead of him. That got them going and they scored 2 quick points, a beaut from the Meath midfielder, can't remember his name.
    At this point the game was in the balance. A lot of end to end stuff and you could see the next score was crucial. After about 10 mins of this Vins got the point and subsequently moved 4 ahead and saw it out from there.

Mossy MOTM by a mile. The 8 for Summerhill was there best by some way (the young Meath midfielder - best for Meath this year too)

Roll on Portlaoise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

GK1001 wrote: »
    Good win for Vins today. Mossy Quinn the main man for the umpteenth game in a row. He's a cut above at club level…effortless scores and a joy to watch…as a Vincents man of course.
    Summerhill got into a good 3pt lead midway through the first and looked very hungry making a mockery of the 5 pt handicap. Then Mossy got a well taken goal to level it and Vins went a couple ahead going into HT.
    Vins started well after the break tagging on 4 more pts to give a 6pt gap and they looked like running up a score from here.
    Then Summerhill got a goal. Nice ball in and the Vins keeper should've done better…caught on his heels and the Summerhill forward punched in ahead of him. That got them going and they scored 2 quick points, a beaut from the Meath midfielder, can't remember his name.
    At this point the game was in the balance. A lot of end to end stuff and you could see the next score was crucial. After about 10 mins of this Vins got the point and subsequently moved 4 ahead and saw it out from there.

Mossy MOTM by a mile. The 8 for Summerhill was there best by some way (the young Meath midfielder - best for Meath this year too)

Roll on Portlaoise

Yep Mossy did the business again and was a good performance from the full back line as well. They moved the ball out very well when under pressure.

Looking forward to the final already and hopefully another Leinster and AI in the mix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

what was the attendance at the vins match?

poor. didn't hear what the final number was. ridiculous putting it on at 2 on the day that was in it. would've had double the attendance if they put it on at 6 after the rugby and soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

poor. didn't hear what the final number was. ridiculous putting it on at 2 on the day that was in it. would've had double the attendance if they put it on at 6 after the rugby and soccer.
    And why should it pander to the rugby and soccer crowds? The club championships deserves to have top billing at this time of year over a meaningless rugby friendly and the English Premier League.

• Advertisement

dcr22B wrote: »
    And why should it pander to the rugby and soccer crowds? The club championships deserves to have top billing at this time of year over a meaningless rugby friendly and the English Premier League.
    *exasperated* go bury your head in the sand so
    and before you go off on one, do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find a number of threads with the argument you want to put forth well debated...done to death

*exasperated* go bury your head in the sand so
    and before you go off on one, do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find a number of threads with the argument you want to put forth well debated...done to death

I don't believe Summerhill or St. Vincents supporters would go to the Aviva over a Leinster Semi Final. Not a lot of neutrals go to the club games in any case. They were right to have it played when they did. Each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Lads, just to let everyone know the Dublin v Derry match has been confirmed as being in Celtic park here in Derry city rather than owenbeg, the other county ground a good 45 mins to an hour away in the Derry countryside.

It is a bit away given it is in march and all, and if anyone needs any info bout Derry etc feel free to pm me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's 30 mins closer to Dublin though :pac:

Thankfully it's St Patrick's Day weekend so I'll have the Monday off, will be travelling up from Longford through Enniskillen/Omagh :)

It's 30 mins closer to Dublin though :pac:

Thankfully it's St Patrick's Day weekend so I'll have the Monday off, will be travelling up from Longford through Enniskillen/Omagh :)

I imagine a few people will make a good weekend of it, boards beers?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

GAAman wrote: »
    I imagine a few people will make a good weekend of it, boards beers?? :D
    Heading up Saturday afternoon, staying in my cousin's apartment overlooking the Foyle and then back down the road after the game on Sunday.

dcr22B wrote: »
    Heading up Saturday afternoon, staying in my cousin's apartment overlooking the Foyle and then back down the road after the game on Sunday.

A flyin visit then says you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ok so, the Dublin footballers win the national league, their province, the All Ireland champo at the first attempt, they win one of th greatest games of all time and, yet they DON'T win Team of The Year?

The Clare hurlers do NONE of the above and, they DO win it?

Seriously ???

Jim Gavin wins all of the above in his first bloody year as a senior intercounty manager and, he doesn't win Manager of the Year?

But Davy Fitz accomplishes a fraction of what Jim Gavin did and, he does ?

Seriously ????

With all due respect to Davy Fitz and the Clare hurlers, they are a cracking young team, but that is just bull$hit of the highest order imo. The RTE Sports Awards can (to quote Ross O'Carroll Kelly) FRO !!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

End of rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I hear what you're saying proudDub, but the Clare hurlers coming from nowhere to win the AI is probably seen as more notable, considering the Dubs should be among the favourites for the football every year.

A team should be judged on what they actually achieve, not intangibles of what people think they should be achieving imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    A team should be judged on what they actually achieve, not intangibles of what people think they should be achieving imo.

I agree with that principle and that set of standards.I wouldn't want to take away from Clare,as they are a truly superb team,but popularity always likey with a public vote.Public votes always go with the more profile.

Like in all honesty Cork ladies footballers would be just as deserving of it ,with 8 all irelands in nine years,but in truth would never get a huge per cent of votes,as unfortunately ladies fooball like most of there sports dont get the credit they deserve.

Clare have done superbly well and it hard to take from them,as only can win,but Dublin ,cant feel too hard done ,when they had a realistic chance unlike Cork ,who Unfortunately due to not as big a profile ,Cork. Ladies didn't even have that.

Yep. I would have voted for the Cork ladies and the Irish rugby ladies, before I would have voted for the Clare hurlers.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You can complain about Jim Gavin missing out, but the team award was a public vote. What went against him was the Matt Cooper type bias against a calm, excellent proficient manager in favour of a heart on the sleeve emotional one.

Although earlier on in the year they were all predicting nothing for Dublin, by the time we won it was nearly claimed to be expected and not that big a deal. Or so they say now, when Cooper was tipping everyone but Dublin. Up until they win, then it wasn't much of a performance really.

I'm not sure the team will be that bothered. The same way Kerry weren't winning team of the year the whole time when they were at the peak. If it becomes expected of you that's good enough for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Ok so, the Dublin footballers win the national league, their province, the All Ireland champo at the first attempt, they win one of th greatest games of all time and, yet they DON'T win Team of The Year?

Seriously ???

Jim Gavin wins all of the above in his first bloody year as a senior intercounty manager and, he doesn't win Manager of the Year?

Seriously ????

With all due respect to Davy Fitz and the Clare hurlers, they are a cracking young team, but that is just bull$hit of the highest order imo. The RTE Sports Awards can (to quote Ross O'Carroll Kelly) FRO !!!

End of rant.

Jesus, you're getting way too excited about whats a public vote.
    As a Clare man I thought Clare would win the team of the year award as they unexpectedly won an AI. Dublin would have been one of the teams expected to be there or thereabouts in the football.

Clare captured the public's imagination with the excitement of the drawn AI and then replay, something new is always popular.

I was surprised that Jim Gavin didn't win manager of the year however, winning the league, provincial and AI is a serious achievement (and sure he has Clare blood in him).

In reality, do these types of awards really matter, they're nice and all but winning cups like Sam McGuire or Liam McCarthy is all that matters at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Jesus, you're getting way too excited about whats a public vote.
    As a Clare man I thought Clare would win the team of the year award as they unexpectedly won an AI. Dublin would have been one of the teams expected to be there or thereabouts in the football.

Clare captured the public's imagination with the excitement of the drawn AI and then replay, something new is always popular.

I was surprised that Jim Gavin didn't win manager of the year however, winning the league, provincial and AI is a serious achievement (and sure he has Clare blood in him).

In reality, do these types of awards really matter, they're nice and all but winning cups like Sam McGuire or Liam McCarthy is all that matters at the end of the day
    I agree its bout all irelands,Codys kilkenny never won team of the year,more cause to complain than Dublin with 8 all irelands,four in a row ,yet im sure they don't give a bo***x ,down in kilkenny.They have only one Holy grail.

Ladies on the other hand,it would be great to win to raise there profile of the game in general,but that was never going to happen ,as public votes are popularity contests in essence ,and Clare ,and rightfully so ,the way they play are very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

Seriously ???

Seriously ????

End of rant.

Yes I agree with you (and I am a Corkman:)). Ridiculous decision. There are even posts on the Peoples Republic of Cork Sport Forum saying it.
    Dublin footballers should have won team of the year, no question.

Winning the competitions is enough of an award, the team of the year can't IMHO be just about who won the most, the winning was it's own award, another award for winning a competition would be a double up.

Well done Clare here. I agree with the vote, but also very happy with what the Dubs achieved this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭CueCard7

Do ye think Dublin will be motivated this year or will they bounce, like 2012.

You should really win again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Yep. I would have voted for the Cork ladies and the Irish rugby ladies, before I would have voted for the Clare hurlers.

That's a ridiculous statement IMO.

The Clare hurlers came from nowhere to win that All Ireland. It's a huge achievement for Davy Fitz and his background team.

Dublin, on the other hand, are an established top tier football team and have had major success at both senior and underage level in recent years.

You have to compare the level that Clare hurling team were coming from to the level Dublin were coming from.

CueCard7 wrote: »
    Do ye think Dublin will be motivated this year or will they bounce, like 2012.

You should really win again.

Dublin have a very good panel with plenty of competition for places.
    There were a few games this year, particularly in Leinster, where they were slow to get going but I think Gavin is shrewd enough to react when that happens.
    Football is all about playing in August now so the usual suspects will be in Croke Park for the quarter finals either in the front door or the back door.
    That's where the fun starts and really any of the top five can beat each other on their day before the final.
    Haven beaten Kerry twice now I think the present Dublin team have the maturity and motivation to realise they can nail a few more before they are finished. Having said that Kerry will always be a threat. Mayo have had so many opportunities but with an injury free squad may do something i.e. win, anything less is useless to them

Lemlin wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous statement IMO.

The Clare hurlers came from nowhere to win that All Ireland. It's a huge achievement for Davy Fitz and his background team.

Dublin, on the other hand, are an established top tier football team and have had major success at both senior and underage level in recent years.

You have to compare the level that Clare hurling team were coming from to the level Dublin were coming from.

Why is it ridiculous? The Cork ladies won something like 8 All Irelands in 9 years and the lady rugby players excelled on the international stage, playing against other countries that have far, far greater resources than we do. What the Clare hurlers have done pales in comparison to them imo.

As for Dublin vs Clare, we won the league, our province & the All Ireland. We played 15 games all year long and we only lost one. We introduced lots of new, young players and we introduced a beautifully free flowing and attacking style of play that was successful from day one. There was nothing left for us to win or do. Clare did not win their province, not only did they not win the league, they had to play in a play off to remain in their division and, they needed a replay to win their All Ireland.

We can go on all day about where the Clare team have come from and such & how young they are etc etc, but I think that teams should be judged on what they achieve on the playing field, what big games they win and, what silverware they win. If you don't agree, if you think that the external, intangible stuff is more important, that is fair enough. But to a neutral, unbiased observer, I am damm sure that they would think that it is far from ridiculous to suggest that Team A is more deserving of winning the title of Team of the Year over Team B, when Team A has won more games and more trophies than Team B has.

Why is it ridiculous? The Cork ladies won something like 8 All Irelands in 9 years and the lady rugby players excelled on the international stage, playing against other countries that have far, far greater resources than we do. What the Clare hurlers have done pales in comparison to them imo.

As for Dublin vs Clare, we won the league, our province & the All Ireland. We played 15 games all year long and we only lost one. We introduced lots of new, young players and we introduced a beautifully free flowing and attacking style of play that was successful from day one. There was nothing left for us to win or do. Clare did not win their province, not only did they not win the league, they had to play in a play off to remain in their division and, they needed a replay to win their All Ireland.

We can go on all day about where the Clare team have come from and such & how young they are etc etc, but I think that teams should be judged on what they achieve on the playing field, what big games they win and, what silverware they win. If you don't agree, if you think that the external, intangible stuff is more important, that is fair enough. But to a neutral, unbiased observer, I am damm sure that they would think that it is far from ridiculous to suggest that Team A is more deserving of winning the title of Team of the Year over Team B, when Team A has won more games and more trophies than Team B has.

Of course the intangible stuff is important. Compare the funding and resources Dublin footballers have compared to Clare.

The sheer population Dublin has on its side. Clare were minnows in the hurling and participated in probably two of the greatest finals ever.

Dublin were far from minnows in football. And there's a big difference between the Munster hurling championship and the uncompetitive Leinster football championship. Sure only one team other than Dublin, Meath, has won it since 2005.

As for neutral, unbiased observers, I am one. I barely even watch hurling as I'm from Cavan. What that team achieved is nothing short of extraordinary.

I would love if someone could do it in football and come from nowhere but I can't see it happening.

Donegal came out of pretty much nowhere in 2011 by making the AI semi final & we all know what they did in 2012.

It's funny that when Dublin won 1 All Ireland in 28 years, no one was going on about the size of our population, or the amount of our sponsorship dosh. Smaller counties just went out and won Sam over and over again, while we just sat there and watched from a far. But now, when we are successful for the first time since the 70's, it is all down to the size of our population and our money. God forbid the players or the management get a shred of credit for it.

Donegal came out of pretty much nowhere in 2011 by making the AI semi final & we all know what they did in 2012.

It's funny that when Dublin won 1 All Ireland in 28 years, no one was going on about the size of our population, or the amount of our sponsorship dosh. Smaller counties just went out and won Sam over and over again, while we just sat there and watched from a far. But now, when we are successful for the first time since the 70's, it is all down to the size of our population and our money. God forbid the players or the management get a shred of credit for it.

That Donegal team had been in an All Ireland quarter final in 2009. They also didn't come out of nowhere in one year and just win the competition. They came up short and lost in the semis and won it the following year.

Clare didn't even make the All Ireland hurling quarter finals or a Munster final in 2012 yet they won the competition in 2013. In fact, from my reading of it, they only won one game against Dublin in the 2012 hurling championship. A year later and they are champions!

When did I say it was all down to your population or money? I said those are huge factors, which they are. I never said it was all down to them. That's just you being extreme.

Intangibles have to come into it though. That's why the likes of Wigan winning the FA Cup last year will be remembered for years whereas if City won it would be forgotten about the next morning. It's the old David vs Goliath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Howya lads... any word whether the O'Byrne Cup goes ahead in Mullingar on Sunday .. giving a horrible day in the afternoon - if it's called off I wonder if it'll be rescheduled for Parnell Park ? ... seeing as how all the group games have to be completed next week ? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Howya lads... any word whether the O'Byrne Cup goes ahead in Mullingar on Sunday .. giving a horrible day in the afternoon - if it's called off I wonder if it'll be rescheduled for Parnell Park ? ... seeing as how all the group games have to be completed next week ? Ta

Going ahead Docta, lads train this morning with team named after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Best of luck to anyone travelling to Mullingar tomorrow.

Cant make it. I'm as sick as a dog

Four of us heading down tamarra .. plan is a few prematch pints in Canton Caseys - it'll end up as hot whiskeys with the weather it's giving ...

Team courtesy of hill16

DUBLIN (SF v Westmeath)

1 Stephen Cluxton Parnell’s

2 Darragh Nelson Ballyboden St Enda's

3 Seán George Ballymun Kickhams

4 Michael Fitzsimons Cuala

5 Eric Lowndes St Peregrine’s

6 Bryan Cullen Skerries Harps

7 Kevin Nolan Kilmacud Crokes

8 Declan O'Mahony Ballyboden St Enda's

9 Shane Carthy Naomh Mearnóg

10 Conor Walsh St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh

11 Ciarán Kilkenny Castleknock

12 Jason Whelan Ballymun Kickhams

13 Paul Hudson Thomas Davis

14 Kevin McManamon St Jude’s

15 Philip Ryan St Brigid’s

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fatsam

Nobody wants to see a dicussion about Dublin GAA on this site but in the matter of interest is Diarmuid Connolly geeting sentenced this month,its easy to win an all ireland when you have players from all over ireland playing.

Good jaysis ... have you any relations that post here ?... pm freddiek ,, he has the inside read on all things Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fatsam wrote: »
    Nobody wants to see a dicussion about Dublin GAA on this site but in the matter of interest is Diarmuid Connolly geeting sentenced this month,its easy to win an all ireland when you have players from all over ireland playing.

Welcome back Fred. We missed ya.

Fatsam wrote: »

Oh really? Then why are you reading a thread called Dublin GAA Discussion Thread 2014? #EpicFail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057116010

2014 tread for all things about the 2014 Dublin season please post here

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Might be of interest..

Full Time Senior Hurling Challenge Waterford 2-24 Dublin 3-13.

Wtd Team Keeffe S Fives, Coughlan Bourke, Mahony, Brick, Moran, Nagle, Barron, Breathnach, Barrett, R Barry B Sullivan Maurice, R Donnelly

Some subs used Stephen Molumphy, Jake Dillon, Kieran Power, Gavin O Brien

Scores - Maurice 1-12 (10f), Molumphy 0-3 Brian O'Sullivan 1-0, Dillon, Barron 0-2 each, Fives, Barry, Donnelly, Power, O Brien 0-1 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Might be of interest..

Full Time Senior Hurling Challenge Waterford 2-24 Dublin 3-13.

Wtd Team Keeffe S Fives, Coughlan Bourke, Mahony, Brick, Moran, Nagle, Barron, Breathnach, Barrett, R Barry B Sullivan Maurice, R Donnelly

Some subs used Stephen Molumphy, Jake Dillon, Kieran Power, Gavin O Brien

Scores - Maurice 1-12 (10f), Molumphy 0-3 Brian O'Sullivan 1-0, Dillon, Barron 0-2 each, Fives, Barry, Donnelly, Power, O Brien 0-1 each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement