Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Never underestimate any team when they're playing Dublin 'cause they always raise their game 110% against the "hated Dubs"

Should you not be doing your homework ! Congrats to Longford and best of luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ProudDUB wrote: »
    So how many parts is Longford going to be broken down into now?

I don't think you've understood the argument very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

For anyone interested Dubmatchtracker on Twitter are covering the draws for the Club Championships live on Monday evening at 8 bells here: http://tinyurl.com/cru3y7n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Big shock the U 21s losing last night. Lot less trips down the country this year after that :(

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Big shock the U 21s losing last night. Lot less trips down the country this year after that :(

While it was a shock based on the names Dublin have it wasnt based on how good that Longford team were as Mnors 3yrs ago.

They were by far the better team last night and should have won by more truth be known.

Dublins tactics were all wrong. Long ball after long ball launched in. It was a night for defenders and nothing was sticking. Longford worked very hard on and off the ball and worked the ball through the hands. Always had a man off the shoulder.

Probably a few too many lads out of minor playing. Physically U21 is a step up. Poor effort from young Kilkenny with the free to draw level at the end but like I say they should not have even been that close.

Well done Longford and best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think you've understood the argument very well.

I understand the argument perfectly well, thanks very much. :)

My comment was a tongue in cheek response, directed towards the likes of Colm O'Rourke et al, who think that due to Dublin's recent over whelming ( :rolleyes: ) success at minor & U-21 level, Dublin should be split in two, to level the playing field for the other 31 counties.

Clearly, last nights win by Longford means that the Dublin U-21 juggernaut is no where near as all powerful as all of the ridiculous media hype would have people believe, so perhaps Longford is the county that should be split up. I believe it's called an attempt at...ya know.... humour ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

no teams announced for Sunday yet no, there are not many pre match articles up yet

Dublinfan wrote: »
    no teams announced for Sunday yet no, there are not many pre match articles up yet

One change for the hurlers. Dotsy in for Mark Schutte.

Football team named after training tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Only one Dublin footballer I'd like to see not playing against us is Connolly, he is a liability for Dublin and a seriously dirty player in his moments of madness.

Should be a great day. Here's to both teams, good luck to ye too..

CILL DARA ABÚ

Actually who are the hurlers playing this weekend?

Only one Dublin footballer I'd like to see not playing against us is Connolly, he is a liability for Dublin and a seriously dirty player in his moments of madness.

Should be a great day. Here's to both teams, good luck to ye too..

CILL DARA ABÚ

Actually who are the hurlers playing this weekend?

Dirty player?

If hes such a liabity why wouldn't you want him playing?

Antrim away in the hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

where is kev nolan? injured ye?

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Dirty player?

If hes such a liabity why wouldn't you want him playing?

Antrim away in the hurling.

He has no regard for those playing against him. I would be more concerned for who is marking him than him possibly losing plot and getting sent off. He turned me off him 2 - 3 years ago when he drove his knee off the ball into the back of a players neck and head whilst that player was face first in muck..

I personally don't like him I won't air my thoughts on him as fear the ban stick..

First Dublin player I wouldn't ever have respect for. Said it before I have great respect for Dublin but seeing that guy playing for ye turns my stomach tbh.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Clearly, last nights win by Longford means that the Dublin U-21 juggernaut is no where near as all powerful as all of the ridiculous media hype would have people believe

One game in isolation means almost nothing either way, which is what led me to guess that you didn't understand the argument properly. Now, in fairness, I have no earthly idea either way what Colm O'Rourke "et al" have been saying, but there's been plenty of cogent arguments made about the potential future stranglehold Dublin could develop on the game.

At the moment you can't really judge one way or the other, the signs are there that they've gotten everything right at underage level and are starting to use their demographic advantages to put themselves in a dominating position, but then again it could just be a random purple patch of good players. Time will tell.

Either way, even if it turns out that the worst come to worst and Dublin completely dominate the sport, they'll still lose the odd game here and there, which is why one u21 team losing one game is pretty much meaningless - badly timed because it gives people a pretty brainless response to a pretty well constructed argument - but, yeah, meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Cork has more GAA clubs than any other county on the Island. Surely they should split Cork first. Far bigger GAA county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dare i say it i wonder would we be allowed dominate like Kerry have over the last 10 years?

2 AI's in nearly thirty years is far too many to begin with after all.;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He has no regard for those playing against him. I would be more concerned for who is marking him than him possibly losing plot and getting sent off. He turned me off him 2 - 3 years ago when he drove his knee off the ball into the back of a players neck and head whilst that player was face first in muck..

I personally don't like him I won't air my thoughts on him as fear the ban stick..

First Dublin player I wouldn't ever have respect for. Said it before I have great respect for Dublin but seeing that guy playing for ye turns my stomach tbh.

He didn't do anything like that despite the hysterical reaction from a number of know nothing 'fans'.

but1er wrote: »
    where is kev nolan? injured ye?

So I believe, yeah.

Fair enough. I won't get into personal stuff re any player with you. I'll stick to talking football and hurling. The lad is an exceptional talent. A more natural footballer than even Bernard Brogan I would say. He has a few black marks on his copy book and maybe doesn't shine as often as he should but the Dublin forward line is all the stronger with him in it thats for sure.

corny wrote: »
    Dare i say it i wonder would we be allowed dominate like Kerry have over the last 10 years?

2 AI's in nearly thirty years is far too many to begin with after all.;)

Again, I'm not sure you're getting the argument. Nobody sensible is suggesting Dublin needs to be split now, but the possibility is there that with the abundance of resources available to them in all aspects of the game it may reach a point where counties with 10X+ smaller populations are simply at too great a disadvantage to compete.

Tbh, I doubt anyone genuinely can't see the possibility.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Again, I'm not sure you're getting the argument.

What makes you think i didn't get your argument? Or is that just the standard condescension?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    He didn't do anything like that despite the hysterical reaction from a number of know nothing 'fans'.

He did do it. I can provide video evidence.....

Look it up on YouTube.. I hope your not relaying know nothing fans in my direction

Edit found the video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqcEq1hsT6s

Copacetic ill leave my point here it did happen.

Anyways sorry guys but had to put that video up just to show I'm not full of ****..

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Fair enough. I won't get into personal stuff re any player with you. I'll stick to talking football and hurling. The lad is an exceptional talent. A more natural footballer than even Bernard Brogan I would say. He has a few black marks on his copy book and maybe doesn't shine as often as he should but the Dublin forward line is all the stronger with him in it thats for sure.

Don't get me wrong I would never doubt his talent, if Kildare had a player like him talent wise it would be great.

His attitude stinks though if things don't go his way he gets dangerous IMO

If he sorts his anger issues out fair play but he is a dangerous liability for Dublin. Maybe he is worth the risk of maybe he will snap but defo a class footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

corny wrote: »
    What makes you think i didn't get your argument? Or is that just the standard condescension?

Don't worry, he told me the very same thing. :rolleyes:

Perhaps there is a class we could attend whereby the nuts and bolts of this very complex matter could be explained to us? :)
    Cork has more GAA clubs than any other county on the Island. Surely they should split Cork first. Far bigger GAA county.

Exactemundo. Dublin may have a population of a million plus, but we have no where near a million plus lads registered with clubs and playing the game. We have fewer registered players than Cork do, and about the same as Kildare.

I don't think that people from other GAA obsessed counties realize how many people there are up here in Dublin who really couldn't care less about the GAA, who will never play its games & whose kids will never play them. They wouldn't have a bulls notion who Bernard Brogan is, even if he walked up and knocked on their front door.

When Dublin's demographic advantage starts to represent itself in the numbers of lads actually playing GAA games, fine, let's talk about splitting the county up then. Until then, it is a nonsensical stick to be beating us up with just because people are jealous/annoyed/frustrated/bitter/angry/perplexed/disappointed etc etc that their own counties have not made the investments in under age coaching and development that Dublin has.

Look it up on YouTube.. I hope your not relaying know nothing fans in my direction

Edit found the video

Anyways sorry guys but had to put that video up just to show I'm not full of ****..

As was pointed out by anyone who wasn't a hysterical child at the time, he was tripped twice and fell awkwardly clipping the Kildare players head. He didn't drive his knee into the back of anyone's neck. You are absolutley 'full of ****' as you put it.

Why on earth someone would again post a totally ignorant and biased comment years later on a Dublin 2013 thread I've no idea. The only possible reason is to get a reaction.

Edit found the video

That shows him sliding across the top of the player on the ground. It doesn't show how he hits the deck though. My recollection of events is, there were a lot of bodies in that and i gave Connolly the benefit of the doubt.

He's an awful man for aggressive toe to toe stuff with other players but i wouldn't say he's known for the nasty off the ball stuff.

EDIT: what copacetic said

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Edit found the video

If you think that backs you up in any shape or form you're a wee bit delusional

If you think that backs you up in any shape or form you're a wee bit delusional

This will watch from 1minute 39 Connolly and Fitzpatrick tussle Fitzpatrick ends on ground connolly jumps up and drives the knee.

https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=mKBtelSQ0JI

I'm not looking for a reaction that's completely unfair to say that lads I am pro Leinster football that video from 1,39 shows clearly what happened I was at the game and saw it. Also talked to James kavanagh and he said himself was as clear as day what diarmuids intentions were. Why get so defensive about him being wreck less though? Either way good luck Sunday.

copacetic wrote: »

Suprised cluxton isnt playing especially for a big enough match, presume he cant make it or gavins just giving supple a chance still a risky move up against kildare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Either way good luck Sunday.

:rolleyes:
    Yeah, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I can't go to the Kildare match tomorrow. Anybody able to use 2 emailable Cusack tickets?

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    I can't go to the Kildare match tomorrow. Anybody able to use 2 emailable Cusack tickets?

I will take it off you if theres no cost. I have send you a pm with my e-mail address:)

John37 wrote: »
    I will take it off you if theres no cost. I have send you a pm with my e-mail address:)

I will email you shortly with the tickets. No cost , I can't go, shame to let them go unused.

I will email you shortly with the tickets. No cost , I can't go, shame to let them go unused.

Cheers Vonshirach. Much appreciated. My young son will be very grateful:)

Cheers Vonshirach. Much appreciated. My young son will be very grateful:)

just emailed them to you. They are very good seats. Hope you and son enjoy it. Good luck.

• Advertisement

just emailed them to you. They are very good seats. Hope you and son enjoy it. Good luck.

I did not get the tickets in my inbox. Actually you can pass them onto someone else. Change of plan for tomorrow so we won't be able to go. Thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I did not get the tickets in my inbox. Actually you can pass them onto someone else. Change of plan for tomorrow so we won't be able to go. Thanks anyway

Could I get the tickets?!

bohsboy wrote: »
    Could I get the tickets?!

Yeah, just pm me your email and I will send them.

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Suprised cluxton isnt playing especially for a big enough match, presume he cant make it or gavins just giving supple a chance still a risky move up against kildare

What do you mean you presume he can't make it? Its not a kick around with his mates in the park. He can't just tell Jim 'Sorry Jim but I'm not around Sunday'.

Its squad rotation and figuring out who is good enough and who isn't. If Cluxton were to get injured (god forbid) or sent off in the summer it would be nice to have a replacement who:

a) we know is good enough
    AND
    b) has experience of playing in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Kildare players trying to wind Connolly up early on. Two hands to face incidents in a couple of seconds. No action taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Final score from Croke Park:

Dublin 2-20
    Kildare 2-07

Class performance.

Dublin Deserved the win Kildare were dead on feet in second half.. Very disappointing tbh but either way on we go :(

Why is McManamon not starting IMO dublins best forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dublin Deserved the win Kildare were dead on feet in second half.. Very disappointing tbh but either way on we go :(

Because he really has his best impact as a sub, can't last the 70 minute pace with that explosive power.

Great game, they missed alot of good point chances in the first 10 minutes though trying for the goals, joe mcquilan was a brutal ref though never seen one as bad

iv been saying mcmanamon should be starting since 2011 but it seems there keeping him as the super sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Great win by the Dubs,totally dominated most of the game especially the 2nd half,Should have had a few more goals.kildare players stated to loose there cool towards the end as where a few of there supporters sitting around us ;-)Suppose tempers can flare when your getting beaten so convincingly.

The Dubs are playing great football so far in the league,hopefully won't burn themselves out. Up the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

realies wrote: »
    Great win by the Dubs,totally dominated most of the game especially the 2nd half,Should have had a few more goals.kildare players stated to loose there cool towards the end as where a few of there supporters sitting around us ;-)Suppose tempers can flare when your getting beaten so convincingly.

The Dubs are playing great football so far in the league,hopefully won't burn themselves out. Up the Dubs.

You talking about those two lads in 406? Drinking beforehand, drinking at half time and they just got a bit cranky. We all have to take our medicine from time to time, we took ours from Mayo last year and Kerry in 2009, Kildare got theirs today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Another immensely encouraging day for the Dubs. I thought initially the wind was gonna ruin the spectacle with the early play dotted with overhit passes etc. But in fairness they adapted quickly and the pattern of play from previous games was established. The young lads exelled again Daly McCaffrey O'Brien and CK was back to his best after the upset midweek and a few illjudged passes early on. Other positives were Cian O'S doing Gers job aswell as Ger could hope to do. I have a feelin O'Sullivan can have a big bearing on Dublin over the next 6 months or so. Midfield strong again with OMahony showing well and Bastick when he came on looking fit and claiming great ball. Forwards were lively and industrious defending exemplified by both Andrews and DC who showed a very positive attitude as captain. Bernard imperious other than the yip free from 20 yards out.

I did expect a bit more from Kildare 2nd half for a number of reasons it didn't happen.

Really excellent win for Dublin today. They made Kildare look stupid at times and they're normally very solid.

Our attack looks fluid and very functional. A big difference to the team under Gilroy is our half backs are at the centre of most moves forward now. The inter play is top notch too.

Individually? McCaffrey got MOTM but i thought Daly and especially Cooper were the pick of the backs. At this rate M Fitz, Nolan and McCarthy won't get back into the side! O' Carroll easily dealt with O' Connor too.

In the forwards Flynn was superb. Its hardly noticed (well it is he's an All Star) because he never has a bad game but he contributes in every facet of play. Works so hard, good in the tackle, good link man, takes his scores, extra midfielder etc. Kilkenny put his midweek disappointment behind him and probably touched the ball more than any other player while he was on. He's very clever at finding space.

**** me it was cold though!

Does anyone know How the rights to brodcast the games are split? it seems to be one match setanta the next tg4 ect

• Advertisement
Advertisement