Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Dublinfan wrote: »
    Does anyone know How the rights to brodcast the games are split? it seems to be one match setanta the next tg4 ect

As far as i know Setanta have all the Saturday night games...TG4 have the Sunday games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well damm ! :eek:

That was easy. :D

I'd post more, but my hand are still numb. :o

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Kildare players trying to wind Connolly up early on. Two hands to face incidents in a couple of seconds. No action taken.

Bolton threw a number of punches at him, looked like it was the usual plan to provoke a reaction then hit the deck. Connolly did well not to fall for it, but when someone throws punches right in front of a linesman and the ref you would like to think they would do something about it. It's only encouraging diving when if you don't go down the ref does nothing at all.

Generally Kildare played a dirty niggling fouling game, but we did well to rise above it more often that not.
    corny wrote: »
    Really excellent win for Dublin today. They made Kildare look stupid at times and they're normally very solid.

Our attack looks fluid and very functional. A big difference to the team under Gilroy is our half backs are at the centre of most moves forward now. The inter play is top notch too.

Individually? McCaffrey got MOTM but i thought Daly and especially Cooper were the pick of the backs. At this rate M Fitz, Nolan and McCarthy won't get back into the side! O' Carroll easily dealt with O' Connor too.

In the forwards Flynn was superb. Its hardly noticed (well it is he's an All Star) because he never has a bad game but he contributes in every facet of play. Works so hard, good in the tackle, good link man, takes his scores, extra midfielder etc. Kilkenny put his midweek disappointment behind him and probably touched the ball more than any other player while he was on. He's very clever at finding space.

**** me it was cold though!

Was a cold day, through crowd was dissapointing though, Plenty of Kildare fans though, so gave it a little athmosphere.

I disagree a bit on Kilkenny, he turned it around, but early on he dropped 4 or 5 passes direct into Kildare hands looking for the forward ball. Very poor awareness of the covering line of players. Then he missed two point chances, one hard one easy. Very rocky start and made me doubt if he has the awareness to be the playmaker.

His 100ft in the air solo to himself was a moment of magic though and from about there on he turned it around and had a great second half.

I thought McCaffrey well deserved motm, he has been good so far this year but today he upped it slightly and used his pace with more of a cutting edge. Waltzed by Flanagan every time as if he wasn't there and took goal well also.

Overall it was a good win, but should really have been triple scores or more, let them off in first half with poor passing and then in second missed a lot of goal chances. On another day that or the poor ref could have been costly, today it was just a humorous aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Great performance from the Dubs today. Really impressed with the league campaign so far. Playing so fluidly considering we're only into March. 6-63 is a fantastic tally after only 4 games and to score 2 20 with the wind that was blowing in Croke Park today was great. Roll on next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Absolutely fantastic display from the Dubs today, work rate in particularly in the 2nd half was something else. HOWEVER this was just a league game on a cold (Very) day in March. It may be a different story come the summer but so far it’s looking good. Here’s hoping anyway
    UP the DUBS

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Thrilled with the Dubs performance today

Very dissapointed with Kildare, thought before hand they had a lot more to offer (got progressively more dirty as the game wore on)

My abiding memory from the game ? ........Dont think it's ever been as cold on The Hill :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Anyone on here from Sylvesters GAA club? Eugene Keating from Cavan has just transferred there.

He's one of Cavan's up and coming talents. Scored 0-5 on McGee against Donegal last year and came on yesterday for the last 15 minutes against Sligo and got the equalising goal. He's just back from injury.

Word has it he was given a full time job with the club in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Great win yesterday, Brogan has got the bit between his teeth again, but more impressed with Flynn,Daly and Mccaffrey. The interplay between half backs/midfield was great to see. Pity we gave away two soft goals but overall nobody would have saw a 13pt win.

Hopefully were not peaking to soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Lemlin wrote: »
    Word has it he was given a full time job with the club in some capacity.
    Sligo's Kenneth Sweeney has also tranferred to Syls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

dcr22B wrote: »
    Sligo's Kenneth Sweeney has also tranferred to Syls.

Could be a link in that Keating went to college in Sligo IT and played Sigerson for them.

Keating did a sports, recreation and fitness degree in Sligo AFAIK so could be working developing teams with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

For anyone interested the Dublin Club Championship Draws are on at 8pm this evening in Parnell Pk.

@Dubmatchtracker on Twitter are covering it live here: www.tinyurl.com/cru3y7n

https://twitter.com/dubmatchtracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

realies wrote: »
    Great win by the Dubs,totally dominated most of the game especially the 2nd half,Should have had a few more goals.kildare players stated to loose there cool towards the end as where a few of there supporters sitting around us ;-)Suppose tempers can flare when your getting beaten so convincingly.

The Dubs are playing great football so far in the league,hopefully won't burn themselves out. Up the Dubs.

Hey realies, can I ask what happened with Kildare fans getting ****ty etc was there a row or were they starting something?

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Great win yesterday, Brogan has got the bit between his teeth again, but more impressed with Flynn,Daly and Mccaffrey. The interplay between half backs/midfield was great to see. Pity we gave away two soft goals but overall nobody would have saw a 13pt win.

Hopefully were not peaking to soon.

Had a punt on Bernard today for footballer of the year. 7/1 a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Billy Mays wrote: »

Not bad at all.

corny wrote: »
    Not bad at all.

Asked for a price on McCaffrey for young player of the year. They told me 15/8:eek:
    Possibly the worst odds I've ever been quoted on a bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hey realies, can I ask what happened with Kildare fans getting ****ty etc was there a row or were they starting something?

In our section it was two fans who had a bit too much to drink and were getting sore after the second half thrashing. McQuillan had (another) awful game as referee and a Dub was giving him some stick over it.

One of the Kildare fans stood up, turned around and had a go, telling your man to stop mouthing off, mimicking him moaning with some hand gestures and generally being a bit of an arsehole. The whole section started shouting at him to sit down, stewards came up and told the pair to sit down (the other lad was up at this stage). Dublin kept putting in scores, he kept getting up and turning around to us all trying to start something but was vastly outnumbered by us all. All handbags really

In our section it was two fans who had a bit too much to drink and were getting sore after the second half thrashing. McQuillan had (another) awful game as referee and a Dub was giving him some stick over it.

One of the Kildare fans stood up, turned around and had a go, telling your man to stop mouthing off, mimicking him moaning with some hand gestures and generally being a bit of an arsehole. The whole section started shouting at him to sit down, stewards came up and told the pair to sit down (the other lad was up at this stage). Dublin kept putting in scores, he kept getting up and turning around to us all trying to start something but was vastly outnumbered by us all. All handbags really

Ah the sort of fans that use matches as a reason to booze.. Lovely...

Sorry ye had to deal with ***** like them.. Really is no place for people like that at a gaa match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If this league form can be translated over into the Championship... my god... Dare we dream??? I know it's very early in the season, but looking at it, the forwards are all scoring, all moving freely. Brogan is just unstoppable on his day. They're all scoring, all setting each other up. Just unreal at the moment. The back line is so tight, so disciplined and coordinated and they give very little away.

Dare we dream of Sam again this year? The only team I could see stopping this Dublin team in this form is Donegal. That would be some cracker of a final.

I know it's early days yet in the season, but looking at it, they just look so hungry and determined. The lessons of the mediocre performances of 2012 have been learned. That said, despite how poor Dublin were throughout 2012, they got to the semi-final and were one kick away from taking it to a replay. Had that last effort been scrambled into the back of the Mayo goal, it was a replay and god knows what would have happened. Then into the final... I find it hard to believe that any team would have beaten Donegal that day, but you never know.

This is definitely a season where Dublin could look to a League and Championship Double with a great deal of realism. Here's hoping. If the form can be kept up, it would be very sweet.

DazMarz wrote: »
    If this league form can be translated over into the Championship... my god... Dare we dream??? I know it's very early in the season, but looking at it, the forwards are all scoring, all moving freely. Brogan is just unstoppable on his day. They're all scoring, all setting each other up. Just unreal at the moment. The back line is so tight, so disciplined and coordinated and they give very little away.

Dare we dream of Sam again this year? The only team I could see stopping this Dublin team in this form is Donegal. That would be some cracker of a final.

I know it's early days yet in the season, but looking at it, they just look so hungry and determined. The lessons of the mediocre performances of 2012 have been learned. That said, despite how poor Dublin were throughout 2012, they got to the semi-final and were one kick away from taking it to a replay. Had that last effort been scrambled into the back of the Mayo goal, it was a replay and god knows what would have happened. Then into the final... I find it hard to believe that any team would have beaten Donegal that day, but you never know.

This is definitely a season where Dublin could look to a League and Championship Double with a great deal of realism. Here's hoping. If the form can be kept up, it would be very sweet.
    I think this post is premature tbh. It's the league hugely different than championship teams will go he'll for leather in championship..

I can see you are excited but calm down put yourself on a pedestal and its a long fall down if you fall.

Dublin playing good football though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Yeah, jumped on that last week including a free bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Any talk beyond making the knockout stages of the league is premature.

Playing good football, winning games & looking likewe have a few options around the field but talk of All-Irelands & doubles at this time if year is madness.

People have short memories. The U21s were clear favs for the All-Ireland & 1/9 on to beat Longford and we all know how that went.

Relax and settle down. Enjoy the games as they come and see where it takes us. 3 northern teams left in the league. That will show us more in terms of how we are shaping up.

Mun lads to come back in too. Wonder how many will come in. Bar McCarthy I think the rest will struggle to push for starting place come championship.

Enjoying things so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think this post is premature tbh. It's the league hugely different than championship teams will go he'll for leather in championship..

I can see you are excited but calm down put yourself on a pedestal and its a long fall down if you fall.

I don't get all this we have to keep a lid on expectation. Granted i haven't even thought about the championship but only because September is ****ing ages away.

Winners in 2011 and semi finalists last year in a game where they were clearly capable of better. Dublin will be a serious proposition for any side in the country and it'll take an excellent performance to knock them out. No harm in acknowledging that or getting excited because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Que a serious injury v Tyrone. He's in great form and its good to see but the championship is a different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Hence why I used phrases like "dare we dream" and emphasised how early it was.

I realise how early it is yet. My point of the was was IF this form can carry on, it's looking good. Only IF.

I never at all stated Dublin WILL win the All Ireland. That would have been premature. I would still fancy them to get to the business end of things, as they have done every season since 2010, but as to who will actually lift Sam in September... that's still up in the air. Very much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Question for you ( if you read the star today dont ruin it)

since 1967, Dublin have just used 5 keepers in championship football

Answer
    cullen,olearly,davy burme, bryan murphy and cluxton. murphy just 1 game in 04

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

what are everyones views on shane supple? while i agree its good to have a back up keeper is he good enough for the championship or do we need someone more experienced as the sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

what are everyones views on shane supple? while i agree its good to have a back up keeper is he good enough for the championship or do we need someone more experienced as the sub?

I'd prefer Savage to be honest, not a Supple fan at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Very good keeper. Normally extremely reliable under the high ball (small blip on Sunday) and a fantastic shot stopper. Also very good at commanding his area.

If Cluxton wasn't so good he would be a shoe in for the number 1 Dubs jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'd prefer Savage to be honest, not a Supple fan at all.

St Vincents man here and I prefer Supple over Savage.Whatever about Supple being suspect under the high ball, Savage is much less reliable in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I think Supple was a little unlucky with the goal on Sunday, although I think he should have left it to O'Carroll to deal with it. O'Conner fell into him and definitely impeded him, probably unintentionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

If there is any keeper that looks capable of being the next number 1 its St Judes' John Carthy. Great for the Dubs in u21s last year , dont know why he didnt start this year !!! Genuinely one of the best shot stoppers iv seen and great under the high ball

If there is any keeper that looks capable of being the next number 1 its St Judes' John Carthy. Great for the Dubs in u21s last year , dont know why he didnt start this year !!! Genuinely one of the best shot stoppers iv seen and great under the high ball

maybe next year, the team is huge as it is especially with alan brogan and the ballymum players due back it makes me wonder will there be anymore cuts i agree we need a good selection but there is too much i think and its gonna leave players either always on the bench or a constant chance every week which isnt good either

The ultimate headache every manager wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jim & selectors have to trim the panel to 26 for championship ... tough job as there were very few makeweights from what I've seen of them this year. The best 15 of them, wow wouldn't know where to start - well Cluxton, O'Carroll, Flynn & BB and 11 others :rolleyes: ...everyone of which will be a positive in my eyes

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Jim & selectors have to trim the panel to 26 for championship ... tough job as there were very few makeweights from what I've seen of them this year. The best 15 of them, wow wouldn't know where to start - well Cluxton, O'Carroll, Flynn & BB and 11 others :rolleyes: ...everyone of which will be a positive in my eyes

plus andrews, connelly , alan brogan (will most likely be back) ,macauley, caffery

those will all nearly 100 percent be in the final line up

i would like to see kevin mcmanamon it but i think they will keep him as the super sub

So Vodafone sponsorship coming to an end, wonder who will replace them.
    Someone without a red logo hopefully!

Good to have a bit of a heads up for jersey buyers etc.

copacetic wrote: »
    So Vodafone sponsorship coming to an end, wonder who will replace them.
    Someone without a red logo hopefully!

Good to have a bit of a heads up for jersey buyers etc.

where did you hear that:eek: didnt a new jersey only come out a few months ago:confused:

where did you hear that:eek: didnt a new jersey only come out a few months ago:confused:

New jersey design is independent of sponsor. They will see out this year then end the 6 year deal after only 4 years apparently. Will be in Herald later by all accounts.

New jersey design is independent of sponsor. They will see out this year then end the 6 year deal after only 4 years apparently. Will be in Herald later by all accounts.

ah i see, seems they have also decided to the end there sponsorship with McLaren

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

Expect a new jersey design again next year. A new jersey came out for the 2009 season but was replaced after a year when Arnott's pulled out.

It was a 3 year deal. Started in 2010. Worth €4.65m. Not being renewed at the end of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

Not sure where 6 or 4 is coming from

3 years, didn't renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Not sure how they could continue to justify paying the money seen as they felt the need to sack a load of their staff in Leopardstown and Dundalk and outsource their jobs abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

iDave wrote: »
    Not sure how they could continue to justify paying the money seen as they felt the need to sack a load of their staff in Leopardstown and Dundalk and outsource their jobs abroad
    .. personally O2/Vodafone doesn't sit well with me in a GAA context but for the sponsorship sums involved they're the only likely candidates. Phone wise buy Irish its Meteor for me :D

• Advertisement

Tyrone team for saturday

Tyrone: N Morgan; A McCrory, C Gormley, C McCarron; Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon, R McNamee; C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh; Mattie Donnelly, P Harte, C McGinley; K Coney, S O'Neill, Mark Donnelly. Subs: P McConnell, A Cassidy, K Gallagher, P Kane, J Lafferty, C McAliskey, D McBride, R McKenna, P McNiece, M Murphy, M Penrose

No sign of Dublin line up yet if its not up by 10 i say we will get it tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Any news on the hurlers?

Fancy your chances against us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Any news on the hurlers?

Fancy your chances against us?

We haven't hurled well, need a much better performance then last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Rochey18 wrote: »
    We haven't hurled well, need a much better performance then last week.

What a coincidence, so do we :o

same team as last week for tomorrow, really hoped we would have cluxton this week but nope another week for supple

• Advertisement
Advertisement