Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - 2013

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Falconno4 wrote: »
    Not sure where 6 or 4 is coming from

3 years, didn't renew.

Well among other things, I can count. They have already been sponsors for over 3 years, by end of championship it will be 4 and when it was announced at end of 2009 it was widely reported it was a 6 year deal.

As it turns out it was a 6 year deal, but years 4,5 and 6 were yearly options and they took year 4 but they aren't renewing 5 or 6.

Dublinfan wrote: »
    same team as last week for tomorrow, really hoped we would have cluxton this week but nope another week for supple

Cluxton appears to be back in side? I'd prefer him to keep mixing it up and give players a run. Including in the forwards.

Edit - now Dubmatchtracker listed cluxton, hogan stand list supple. Dunno what is going on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

copacetic wrote: »
    Well among other things, I can count. They have already been sponsors for over 3 years, by end of championship it will be 4 and when it was announced at end of 2009 it was widely reported it was a 6 year deal.

As it turns out it was a 6 year deal, but years 4,5 and 6 were yearly options and they took year 4 but they aren't renewing 5 or 6.

Was promptly corrected about that myself off the forum yesterday!

Was unaware myself it was a 6 year deal with 3 years optional. Always was under the impression it was a 3 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Does anyone actually think the team will start as named tomorrow?

Match tracker have Supple in goal too from what i seen this morning.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Does anyone actually think the team will start as named tomorrow?

Match tracker have Supple in goal too from what i seen this morning.

He has deleted the tweet listing Cluxton, it was in same format/at same time as kickhams tweet. Now lists Supple.

From looking at the team, it looks like forwards won't line up that way to me, but who can say..

He has deleted the tweet listing Cluxton, it was in same format/at same time as kickhams tweet. Now lists Supple.

From looking at the team, it looks like forwards won't line up that way to me, but who can say..

There will definitely be a couple of changes I would say. Will probably give Supple another run out but id say a couple of lads named wont start.

Will probably rest a couple of the championship starters and give others a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

Dummy team gents.

Falconno4 wrote: »
    Dummy team gents.

No change at all screams dummy team.

Anyone care to call some changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I can't see any reason the team wont start as named. From a confidence point of view I think it was important that Supple be given a run out. I thought DC might've been rested in light of recent media coverage. Personally I feel that Ciaran Reddin needs a big game to keep him in the mix further down the line, he hasn't done anything wrong just feel he needs to do a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Can anyone confirm whether this is the team named for the hurling game tomorrow?

Alan Nolan; Peter Kelly, Paul Schutte, Ruairí Trainor; Michael Carton, Liam Rushe, Simon Lambert; Joey Boland, Kevin Byrne; Conal Keaney, Johnny McCaffrey, Danny Sutcliffe; Paul Ryan, Conor McCormack, David O’Callaghan

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether this is the team named for the hurling game tomorrow?

Alan Nolan; Peter Kelly, Paul Schutte, Ruairí Trainor; Michael Carton, Liam Rushe, Simon Lambert; Joey Boland, Kevin Byrne; Conal Keaney, Johnny McCaffrey, Danny Sutcliffe; Paul Ryan, Conor McCormack, David O’Callaghan

Looks right to me yeah.

Nolan getting a run out in nets and Lambert who started last week instead of a sick Durkin starts again at Durkins expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Disappointing result, defence was awful and the ref didnt help , Huge loss without bernard tonight but resting him might be a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

We really missed O'Carroll, especially in the first half tonight. O'Sullivan done well when he went back there in second half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

A pity Kilkenny went off - it's a game would have suited him.
    I would have expected Paddy Andrews to have made a bigger impact tonight.
    O'Sullivan did a good job on O'Neill when switched, but Tyrone were getting quality scores from all quarters.

Looks like the Tyrone of old, numbers in defensive system, ferocious tackling and workrate. They'll be there at the finish this summer.

Pity to lose, but right decision to rest 4 or 5 to see how we cope.

It was a good example of the kind of game we could lose in the summer, hard tackling team with some good finishers and constant cynical fouling along with a weak poor ref. we have to be able to move the ball on quicker to not get bogged down by it.

Mayo and Kildare were at it a bit, but the number of blatant jersey drag down tackles today by Tyrone was crazy, they just took turns doing it and getting yellow carded. The back 8 must have each got one?
    Each time breaking up a decent attack. It's exactly what the rule change was supposed to do something about if brought in. If they don't bring in different rules then what can the ref do? As terrible as the ref was with crazily inconsistent and just plain blindness he isn't at fault for cynical play.

Connolly did well again after anotjer few attempts to get a reaction by throwing digs, kept his cool and let the ref deal with it, although Duffy chickened out and just gave a yellow. Whatever about missing the later red, only giving a yellow for something that happens a yard in front of you is cowardly.

Pity to lose, but right decision to rest 4 or 5 to see how we cope.

It was a good example of the kind of game we could lose in the summer, hard tackling team with some good finishers and constant cynical fouling along with a weak poor ref. we have to be able to move the ball on quicker to not get bogged down by it.

Mayo and Kildare were at it a bit, but the number of blatant jersey drag down tackles today by Tyrone was crazy, they just took turns doing it and getting yellow carded. The back 8 must have each got one?
    Each time breaking up a decent attack. It's exactly what the rule change was supposed to do something about if brought in. If they don't bring in different rules then what can the ref do? As terrible as the ref was with crazily inconsistent and just plain blindness he isn't at fault for cynical play.

Connolly did well again after anotjer few attempts to get a reaction by throwing digs, kept his cool and let the ref deal with it, although Duffy chickened out and just gave a yellow. Whatever about missing the later red, only giving a yellow for something that happens a yard in front of you is cowardly.

im wondering if the system for the ref is outdated, surely video playback and someone who sees blatant foul should talk in to the refs ear ect he could miss it but if there was someone looking at for it it be hard to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not too disappointed with the result but the performance highlighted a couple of things Dublin have to improve on if they have aspirations in the summer.

I know the backs aren't exactly an experienced unit but i worry how easily we were dragged out of shape. We are conceding too many soft scores in front of the posts. They had a load of wides from kickable positions too. We can't be expecting to score 2-15 against the likes of Donegal in the summer and if you allow them such easy scores on the counter you haven't a hope.

McManamon showed well for the ball and kicked some nice scores, as did Connolly (never let him kick from the ground again though). Bastick and O' Sullivan had good games too. Supple was assured in goal but he needs to recognise whats happening with his kick outs. It took him ages to realise Flynn wasn't winning anything in the air.

I think the cynical fouling infuriates the crowd and part of the reason the Tyrone boys were at it was to try and knock the concentration of the players. I'm glad that didn't happen but the GAA simply have to address this. The result completely justifies the cheating as it did with Dublin and Mayo last year and i'm sure god knows how many other games. Its awful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Fully deserved win for Tyrone - Cork showed earlier the problems in Dublins defence when they run at them, Tyrone gave a glaring example of the weakness last night. Way too much room in the space between 45 and halfway line. I like Tyrone tbh, but they showed much like Mayo last year, that cynicism and time wasting were the way to slow down the fast breaking Dublin attack. Marty Duffy brings out the worst in me, I don't rate him whatsoever - he was on the line last week and still managed to fudge his way thru the game. I'd agree with most of the the sentiments regards the players performance last night, I think CK was a big loss as the game was set up for him to link the play but hopefully the chap recovers soon. Another big thumbs up for the very little recognised Darren Daly, he coped as well as any with the marauding Tyrone forwards - was disappointed with the contribution of Dias.

Finally it was glaringly obvious that without Cluxton we're stuffed for a place kicker - DC reminded me of Joe Sheridan a few years back barely getting the ball of the ground - contrast with young Morgans kicking for Tyrone

watching jim gavins setanta interview quite worried by what he said, he mention we will see brogan and ocarrol back in action in a 'couple' of weeks.. too very strong players might we not see them again till the semis or even final?

• Advertisement

watching jim gavins setanta interview quite worried by what he said, he mention we will see brogan and ocarrol back in action in a 'couple' of weeks.. too very strong players might we not see them again till the semis or even final?

Both lads have played a lot of games on heavy ground to be fair to them. No harm giving them a break. O'Carroll was playing O'Byrne Cup, Walsh Cup, Fitzgibbon Cup and Sigerson Cup with UCD and for Dublin in the league.

Bernard played 5 O'Byrne Cup games and squeezed two Inter Pro games in while playing in the league too so a lot of gametime on heavy pitches. Couple of weeks off will do them no harm. Plus in Bernards case its no harm to see who can step up in his absence.

There are bigger challenges ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is that interview available online? I have looked on the Setanta website and I can't find it.Ta.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is that interview available online? I have looked on the Setanta website and I can't find it.Ta.

nope afraid not yet, it might be up sometime in the week, nervous about his tatics while i agree its good to give them a break ect bernard really has won us alot of these matches and i have no doubt he would of yesterday

Oh no doubt about it, if either Cluxton or BB played yesterday, we won have won the game, no doubt about it.

Did Gavin give any clarification as to whether BB was injured or just rested? The Sindo says the former, the Irish Times says the latter.

I am all for giving BB a break. He has had a very busy Spring, but do it in a game that doesn't mean anything, such as Down, and not a team that we may meet in the summer, such as Tyrone.

Oh no doubt about it, if either Cluxton or BB played yesterday, we won have won the game, no doubt about it.

Did Gavin give any clarification as to whether BB was injured or just rested? The Sindo says the former, the Irish Times says the latter.

I am all for giving BB a break. He has had a very busy Spring, but do it in a game that doesn't mean anything, such as Down, and not a team that we may meet in the summer, such as Tyrone.

it was unclear, he mentioned fatigue but then went on to say that brogan and ocarroll are on rest and will be back in action in a couple of weeks

seems very unlikely judging by the interview we will see them next week unless he changes his mind

Thanks Dublinfan, as long as BB is not out due to injury, I am happy to leave it to Jim Gavin to decide when he plays.

• Advertisement

Agreed. With Cluxton and Brogan we definitley would have won.

Can't see O'Carroll or Brogan even being part of the squad for the Down game.

In other bad news it looks like Flynns gone for the rest of the league.

Yep, pity to hear flynns news, but 'rest of league' is only 6 weeks so should have plenty of time to recover from hamstring and get in shape before championship.

hopefully kilkenny will be back saturday and it was only a minor injury was quite a big blow saturday, i can see alan brogan back for the final if we make it unless gavin decides to leave him till the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Has Alan Brogan played for his club this season. I would be very worried about him regaining his form after such a period out injured.

Has Alan Brogan played for his club this season. I would be very worried about him regaining his form after such a period out injured.

not too sure, Flynn said a week or two ago he was in training full time now and should be back soon though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They really need to sort something out for the 45s, Connolly couldn't get them off the ground at all and it's crazy to drag the keeper halfway up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

Not yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD_-vbCvxsI towards the end of this brogan seems to quite happy to be playing as much as possible and wanting to do the full league

the only thing i can think of is a minor injury and gavin didnt wanna risk it getting worse.. if its just for a break seems ridiculous Bernard has showed no signs of slowing down and should be given the chance if hes up for it

I'm all for giving BB as much game time as he needs to come roaring into the Champo come June. But 7 league games, 5 O'Byrne Cup games and 2 Railway Cup games is by my crappy maths, 14 games. It will be 16 games if the Dubs make the League final. That is nearly as many games as he has played in the last 3 years Champo games combined.

The odds of him playing 16 games, and not picking up a knock here and there are between slim and none imo. In fact, I am surprised that he has played as many games as he has ( 11 so far I think? ) without picking one up already. So now that he has his confidence back and his shooting boots are on fire, I am leaning more towards resting him more, not to give him needed game time, but to prevent him picking up any more knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'm all for giving BB as much game time as he needs to come roaring into the Champo come June. But 7 league games, 5 O'Byrne Cup games and 2 Railway Cup games is by my crappy maths, 14 games. It will be 16 games if the Dubs make the League final. That is nearly as many games as he has played in the last 3 years Champo games combined.

The odds of him playing 16 games, and not picking up a knock here and there are between slim and none imo. In fact, I am surprised that he has played as many games as he has ( 11 so far I think? ) without picking one up already. So now that he has his confidence back and his shooting boots are on fire, I am leaning more towards resting him more, not to give him needed game time, but to prevent him picking up any more knocks.

Yeah i'd agree with that.

Doesn't do the others any harm either. In Brogans absence i thought McManamon stepped up and showed for the ball far more often, for example. Doesn't hurt to test our options.

seems like it wasn't just a rest as he stated in the setanta interview...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/crocked-brogan-may-be-fit-for-down-29137206.html

Bernard Injured his leg during kildare game , Hopefully fit to be back this weekend unsure
    Rory OCarroll seems to have a had a serious injury to his ankle requiring surgery not due back till championship

Kilkenny has a minor knee injury ice up no news on return, it says will know next week although the interview was published yesterday is possible it was done sunday otherwise might not see him back this week

Update: Reports coming in about ciaran kilkenny seems like its more serious then thought and he will be out of action for 4-6 weeks with a high chance of return in june

Brogan and Flynn most likely back for Saturday it seems

Brogan and Flynn most likely back for Saturday it seems

Wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

Wouldn't bet on it.
    Flynn won't be playing

new team news out , Cluxton will return to goals tomorrow after a two week break while brogan is in doubt

Alan Brogan, Eoghan O’Gara and Michael Fitzsimons are all back in training but wont be returning for some weeks yet, while the ballymun players are getting a two week break before there return

• Advertisement

anyone know if the match is still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Disappointing result, defence was awful and the ref didnt help , Huge loss without bernard tonight but resting him might be a good idea

This is quickly becoming a major problem in Dublin fixtures :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Any news on a team named for tomorrow night, or for the hurling on Sunday?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Any news on a team named for tomorrow night, or for the hurling on Sunday?

Dublin Senior Football Team to play Down: Cluxton, Daly, Cooper, O'Brien, McCaffery, Brennan, Devereux, O'Sullivan, Bastick, Dias, Andrews, Cullen, McManamon, Connolly, Mannion

Good to have cluxton back but it seems another week of rest for brogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This is quickly becoming a major problem in Dublin fixtures :mad:

Unfortunately refs are getting worse across the board..

Well one good thing from the Tyrone game is that their wholesale cynical fouling in last 10 mins caught the eye of delegates and probably pushed the black card over the line.

A certain number of teams won't be thanking them for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Anyone sick of these croke pk fixtures.....? I have to say it's a pain in the arse going to croke pk on fri/sat nights especially with small kids in the freezing cold.....the last match i'd say the crowd would barely fill parnell pk.

What was wrong with sun afternoon in parnell pk, i know the place was getting pretty full, but i think with the recession alot of that extra crowd has fizzled out.

I have to say i think if they go for another winter night season in croke pk, i will be pulling out of the season ticket scheme next year.

Anyone sick of these croke pk fixtures.....? I have to say it's a pain in the arse going to croke pk on fri/sat nights especially with small kids in the freezing cold.....the last match i'd say the crowd would barely fill parnell pk.

What was wrong with sun afternoon in parnell pk, i know the place was getting pretty full, but i think with the recession alot of that extra crowd has fizzled out.

I have to say i think if they go for another winter night season in croke pk, i will be pulling out of the season ticket scheme next year.

What Friday night games have you been going to exactly?

Every single crowd this year would be 5 or 6 thousand too big for Parnell park and it's no warmer or more comfrotable there on a Sunday than in Croker on a Saturday. Croker is also easier to get to from most of Dublin and more comfortable and easy for most people with kids.

It's capacity is what is wrong with Parnell Park. It can only hold 9 or 10 thousand or thereabouts, due to new health and safety regulations...the same ones that got Kildares county ground into trouble. The DCB can make more money by having the games in Croke Park. Even if only 20,000 show up, that's still double what PP can hold. Agree it is pretty Baltic these days, but PP is no warmer than Croker really. Plus Croker has heated indoor areas ( oh ok, bars :D ) that you can watch the game from, and stay warm in. You can't do that in PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Well one good thing from the Tyrone game is that their wholesale cynical fouling in last 10 mins caught the eye of delegates and probably pushed the black card over the line.

A certain number of teams won't be thanking them for that!

That has been an issue the whole way through the gaa all teams won't thank Tyrone for it not just a certain few

Advertisement