Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom threatening to take legal action

Options
  • 30-01-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

I'll try keep this civil but I am beyond livid right now with Eircom.

My family have been with Eircom now since the start and a broadband user since about 2005/2006 roughly.
    Back in November we decided to change to UPC. Cancelled Eircom and swapped over with it all being no bother.

Forward on a month and Eircom ring to say we were under contract and owe them the remaining balance. Now for 1 we were in no way whatsoever under a contract as a matter of fact I was offered a new contract over the summer period when I complained about the drop in speed as it was apparently my router. To which I told them no I was not prepared to enter into a new contract.

The contract would have been in my fathers name. Who in no way agreed to any type of a new contract ever as eircom claimed.

Forward on another phone call and thinking it was all sorted to today when I've been told a letter came in the door to threaten my parents with legal action..  or as it was so lovely put to publish details publicly... yeah nice one eircom!

This is not on and is an absolute disgrace. There was no contract and eircom are not owed any money.
    In the many years we have been with Eircom I've never had any issue with them.. Honestly a bit shocked with all this going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I would not worry, if you didn't ask for a new contract then there isn't much Eircom can do to you!

There going to lose lot more customers in the coming months to Sky too and Eircom have only themselves to blame for that.

Thinking people would forever tolerate speeds at 8meg and pay a high price for that, was their mistake. It can only get worse from here on out for Eircom. Eircom should have looked after rural exchanges when they had a chance and upgraded those to better broadband speeds.

Eircom previously have been living in the past, but the last couple of years there slowly catching on they have to upgrade their networks, for their very survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I would agree but they were told on the very first contact with us back in November that there could be no contract as we had been with eircom and on the same bundle since the first time we took out the broadband. A new contract would be impossible and I'm sure in order to enter us into a new contract the person named on the bill who pays it would need to accept.

One of the last times we rang to sort it out we couldnt be helped apparently as we are no longer a customer.
    I'd hope someone working for eircom on here can sort this out as talking to people on the phone lines seems to be a complete waste of time. You get told one thing and you never hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

You have to give them 30 days notice of cancellation though. You have to ring them first and they give you a postal or email address to send in your notification of cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I was told that was not needed by UPC as they have a deal with eircom. I specifically asked before changing.

anyways I didn't know the eircom phone lines were open so late(till 8pm) so we gave them a quick call. Finally with the 3rd time we got someone helpful. She couldn't understand how the two previous members of staff(on 2 separate occasions)  didn't transfer the call to the complaints department. Lodged everything and asked us to ring back tomorrow and get in contact with complaints.

Hopefully this can now be sorted once and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

Similar thing happened to me recently. I rang up to query a bill and was told I was being overcharged as the bundle discount was never applied properly when I signed up. They gave me some credit for it which was nice then I receive a letter saying I'm now in a new 12 month contract. I wasn't told about it and never agreed a new contract because I want nothing more than to get rid of them ( €60 p/m for 6Mb BB in 2013 O_O )

I had to open a complaint with calls being reviewed and everything seems to be sorted. I have to say the person I dealt with in complaints was very nice and helpful but I know for a fact that when I do go to cancel (tomorrow) they are going to say I have to pay the full 12 months subscription so I'll have to go through the whole process again. 

Eircom know the only way they can keep customers is by binding them into contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I was told that was not needed by UPC as they have a deal with eircom. I specifically asked before changing.

anyways I didn't know the eircom phone lines were open so late(till 8pm) so we gave them a quick call. Finally with the 3rd time we got someone helpful. She couldn't understand how the two previous members of staff(on 2 separate occasions)  didn't transfer the call to the complaints department. Lodged everything and asked us to ring back tomorrow and get in contact with complaints.

Hopefully this can now be sorted once and for all

Yup we switched to UPC from eircom. We still had to give eircom written confirmation either by post or email after ringing them to get them to note our request to cancel. UPCs deal with eircom is the fact that they'll handle the number porting without having to hassle eircom about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Am I Evil?

Apologies for the inconvenience caused here. Customer complaints have a 10 working day lead time for investigation but should you need any further assistance please let me know.

Regards

Al

Advertisement