Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure

Options
  • 30-01-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey folks I have found myself in a real unsure place at the moment with regards to applying to the CAO.

My Issues is that I have the qualifications to attend a level 8 course, but the course that I have my heart set on doing is a level 7 science course but there are only 5 places nationwide for mature students. Now I can deal with not getting the course due to stiff competition but the other course that would be ideal backups all appear to be level 8 and so I am wondering if there is any way to ensure that your level 7 is your first priority and not the level 8?!?

I believe the current system is very confusing and out of touch with how some people wish to pursue their careers!

Thanks for any help or information anyone can provide on this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have the level 7 course as your number one choice. The level 7 and level 8 choice list are seperate. You then choose one from either list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I find it interesting how they devoted such a large section to explaining how important it is to list the courses in order of preference: multiple case study examples, the same things written multiple times in different ways.... I mean, we get it. :o I guess maybe people were making (or claiming to make) mistakes with an older edition and they were determined to be as absolutely clear as possible on this point.

On the other hand in things like exactly what you must send in and the OP's question, it can be quite difficult to find the information you want, you also have to check the HEI you're looking at, and unless you recheck everything many times, there are accidents waiting to happen. A simple checklist with clauses in it would be helpful. It would help also if the CAO handbook was in pdf format rather than having to scroll and click next/previous all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

That's great news to me, thanks for the quick and helpful reply Larianne, it is much appreciated.

And I completely agree with you SuperInfinity.

On the other hand in things like exactly what you must send in and the OP's question, it can be quite difficult to find the information you want, you also have to check the HEI you're looking at, and unless you recheck everything many times, there are accidents waiting to happen. A simple checklist with clauses in it would be helpful. It would help also if the CAO handbook was in pdf format rather than having to scroll and click next/previous all the time.

Well, if people checked my tips in the thread stickied in this forum a lot would be answered for them! :pac:

Nah, I know its quite complicated. I applied twice (well 4 times if you include when I finished school) so I've had a bit of experience. It did take me a few emails to the CAO and colleges to figure out what to do when applying. I don't think there's much thought put into explaining how the mature student application works. Hence my tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The reason they go into such detail re order of preference is down to the 100's of people who list the courses any old way and don't get it that you get offered your highest preference that you have points for. This automatically removes you from consideration from everything below that choice. I've lost count of the number of people both on boards and in real life who think that if they refuse their offer of choice number two that they might be offered choice number three.

Also its states explicitly a number of times in the literature that if you are a non standard applicant you MUST contact the HEI for specific details relating to your own application. Lots of things can modify it, mature student status, whether you have ever lived outside of Ireland, residency, nationality, previous education, previous employment. All can mean different things for an application. If CAO were to cover every eventuality in the handbook it would be the size of the book of Kells :D

Having it as a PDF is a good idea. One that Carlow AEGI took on board here: http://www.carlowadultguidance.ie/sites/files/CAO_Handbook_2013.pdf

Pages 12 and 13 give details of the docs required.

Oh and I dont work for CAO ;)

Sorry if I seem snippy. Its the time of year. :D

Oh and ditto to everything Larianne said.

• Advertisement

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Oh and I dont work for CAO ;)

Sorry if I seem snippy. Its the time of year. :D

Oh and ditto to everything Larianne said.

Oh, I agree. I had to find things out the hard way! :)

Advertisement