Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any GOOD alternative to Gillette blades ?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Superquinn charge €10.59 for FOUR Mach 3 Gillette blades !! FFS ........ Wikipedia says they cost ca 6c to make .....

Has anyone moved to another cheaper make ?

I tried the blades sold in Lidl ... but they cut me all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

i was the same a few weeks back piliger...so i bought myself a shaving pack..with a stainless steel razor,7 packs of blades of different types,shaving cream and brush and it cost me under 50 euros..i reckon it will last me at least 12 months.I havent looked back after using gilette rip off blades for yrs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hey Piliger, the people of facial hair + hats are better placed to answer you here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP-O-B-Razor-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B004W2UMDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359573347&sr=8-1

Product Features
    RazorPit removes the residues of hair and skin that make your razor blade feel dull
    RazorPit makes your razor blade last for up to 150 shaves
    RazorPit is made of recyclable materials that are also approved for use in the food industry
    RazorPit razor blade sharpener works with all razor blades
    Save up to 90 per cent on buying new razor blades and reduce polution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How does 100 blades for 10 euro sound plus a superior shave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i can shave with a blank white canvas?

• Advertisement

i can shave with a blank white canvas?

You can try, but I'd recommend a DE or straight razor instead. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Piliger, you have just woken up out of the Gillette Marketing Matrix. You will be weak at first, but you will grow stronger, and you will learn the ways of the blade and fight the lie "The Best a Man can get".

What if I told you everything you were taught about shaving is wrong?

Welcome to Facial Hair and Hats. Come over to the sharp side, pick up a DE or straight and join the revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I have tried a few different blade types and they all seem to cause me skin irritation / in-grown hairs except for Gillette.

I then gave a fairly high end Philips shaver a try for a while and that didn't really cut my stubble.

So, I ended up back with Gillette Mach 3 again.

I find the blades last ages though. Some people probably change them too frequently.

Solair wrote: »
    I have tried a few different blade types and they all seem to cause me skin irritation / in-grown hairs except for Gillette.

I then gave a fairly high end Philips shaver a try for a while and that didn't really cut my stubble.

I find the blades last ages though. Some people probably change them too frequently.

Did you mean traditional double edge or straights? Or other disposables?

MadsL wrote: »

Did you mean traditional double edge or straights? Or other disposables?

Wilkinson Sword cartridges
    Boots Own Brand cartridges
    Straight edge
    And BIC and a few other types of fully disposable. They all gave me skin problems!

The Philips shaver just left me with permanent designer stubble. Other than that it was ok.

I'd generally have serious stubble within 12h of saving. Two days gets me a bit of a designer stubble beard. Five days is an actual beard!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

cgarrad wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP-O-B-Razor-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B004W2UMDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359573347&sr=8-1

Product Features
    RazorPit removes the residues of hair and skin that make your razor blade feel dull
    RazorPit is made of recyclable materials that are also approved for use in the food industry

Are you using the razor pit and how is it working for you?I bought one a while ago and am currently in the process of testing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    i was the same a few weeks back piliger...so i bought myself a shaving pack..with a stainless steel razor,7 packs of blades of different types,shaving cream and brush and it cost me under 50 euros..i reckon it will last me at least 12 months.I havent looked back after using gilette rip off blades for yrs.

Can you expand on that ? A 'shaving pack' ?

awec wrote: »
    Hey Piliger, the people of facial hair + hats are better placed to answer you here. :)

Hi ... I am concerned that only people who don't shave mainly frequent this forum ? .... I was hoping to raise the topic with people who shave :)

Piliger wrote: »
    Can you expand on that ? A 'shaving pack' ?

Something like this
    http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Safety-Razors/Safety-Razor-Starter-Kits/

cgarrad wrote: »

Product Features

Are you saying you use this ? Do you sharpen Mach 3 type blades ? other blades ?

I try to get some time out of them but they start to cut m after a week or so.

I guess those 'safety razors' scare me a bit :)

By the way I do sometimes electric shave ... but I always have to finish with a blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I try to get some time out of them but they start to cut m after a week or so.

If your growth is as thick as you say you'll need to change the blade more often than someone with less growth.

Try a DE razor, initial outlay can be steep but it's way cheaper in the long term (100 blades for €20). It'll also give you a much better shave once you find the blade that works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I guess those 'safety razors' scare me a bit :)

By the way I do sometimes electric shave ... but I always have to finish with a blade.

Nothing to be scared of, I cut myself more in one shave with a mach 3 than I have in a few years shaving with a safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Shpongler

Gibellini Shark 5 Blade razors from Lidl are pretty good, the refills are much cheaper than Gillette and they are as good if not better.

72387485_1_644x461_gibellini-shark-2-stanok-2kartr-5-ti-lezviynyy-analog-fyuzhen-zaporozhe_rev001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

kneemos wrote: »
    Are you using the razor pit and how is it working for you?I bought one a while ago and am currently in the process of testing it.
    Are you saying you use this ? Do you sharpen Mach 3 type blades ? other blades ?

I shave once a week so I just get Fusion cartridges the odd time, the reviews on Amazon are really good though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I am concerned that only people who don't shave mainly frequent this forum ?
    Read a few threads - you'll quickly realise that the place is full of shaving nerds. :)

Wilkinson Sword cartridges
    Boots Own Brand cartridges
    Straight edge
    And BIC and a few other types of fully disposable. They all gave me skin problems!

The Philips shaver just left me with permanent designer stubble. Other than that it was ok.

I'd generally have serious stubble within 12h of saving. Two days gets me a bit of a designer stubble beard. Five days is an actual beard!!

A straight razor gave you skin problems? - I'm surprised, haven't had an ingrown hair since I switched to a straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It seems to be horses for courses as regards razors,Gillette cartridges are like sandpaper on my skin yet Wilkinson cartridges give me the best shave I've ever had,weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I find the tescos ones fairly ok (the one where you replace the heads “triple blade") once you buy the stick you can buy packs of 3 (think its 6 in every pack..for something like 3 euro fiddy... About every three months they are on special offer so I stock up..
    I get about two goes out of them... Mine's a five o clock shadow so it depends on yer mug..
    But ya gilette can kiss my ass goodbye.

MadsL wrote: »
    A straight razor gave you skin problems? - I'm surprised, haven't had an ingrown hair since I switched to a straight.

Yup..

Straight razors, electric shavers (spent a stupid amount of money on that Philips thing with the 3D movement on the head. Made no difference and it will not cut my stubble in one pass. Ends up taking ages to get a proper shave with it. Tried wet/dry/with gel/without gel. No difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This thread had a pretty good conversation on cartridge alternatives to mach3. It's also the thread that convinced me to give a DE razor a try. I'm very glad I did.

Lots of good suggestions in there, have a read: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701377

I use Feathers with an Edwin Jagger DE89L safety razor with Proraso soap and after shave.

Once you use a DE razor, I think you will never go back to using mach3's, etc.

While I am looking at alternatives .... does anyone have any info on the best prices available around Dublin for Mach 3 blades ?

Superquinn is €2.65 each for 4.

• Advertisement

While I am looking at alternatives .... does anyone have any info on the best prices available around Dublin for Mach 3 blades ?

Superquinn is €2.65 each for 4.

Unlikely, posters in this forum have abandoned the Mach3 shtick.

Advertisement