Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any GOOD alternative to Gillette blades ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Solair wrote: »
    Yup..

Straight razors, electric shavers (spent a stupid amount of money on that Philips thing with the 3D movement on the head. Made no difference and it will not cut my stubble in one pass. Ends up taking ages to get a proper shave with it. Tried wet/dry/with gel/without gel. No difference.
    When you say "straight razor", do you mean one of these: http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Straight-Razors/

Because they look a lot scarier than a safety razor to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Joined the DE revolution myself just a couple of weeks ago. Bought a cheap Boots DE razor, pack of blades, and shaving soap (had the badger brush).

Shaving takes a little bit longer, and I've had a few nicks, but there's something very urrrrhhh-MAN about shaving with a DE.

Highly recommended. Spend €25-€50 at the start, then blades are as cheap as chips. Gonna upgrade the razor to a Merkur when finances permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

stevenmu wrote: »
    When you say "straight razor", do you mean one of these: http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Straight-Razors/

Because they look a lot scarier than a safety razor to me :)

Yes.

I cut myself far more often with a "safety" razor than a straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

MadsL wrote: »
    Yes.

I cut myself far more often with a "safety" razor than a straight.

That's interesting. Do you think it has something to do with the bigger surface area?

I would have through the opposite that a small blade was better adapted to keeping to the contours of your face.

Boy, those years of Gillette advertising with "moveable heads" really paid off, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I think I have more visual and tactile awareness of where the straight's edge is. Plus I probably have a tendency to be a bit more careless with a DE - and I usually use the DE when I'm late and rushing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Unsure whether to post this here or in Ranting and Raving

Just sent this to Proctor & Gamble

I have to say Im not one of lifes complainers, very much an easy attitude to life, dont make waves. I buy Gillette Fusion because they give me the best shave, cheap? no. Expensive actually. But then you know that. But at 6am when I look blearily into the mirror I know I can rely upon a Fusion to give me a smooth shave before I head out to work or on the weekend when Ive missed a day it will cut smoothly through the extra bristle. As products go, Im usually pretty happy.

You sense there is a "but" coming dont you?

Well done, very astute.

I bought 10 blades for £20 at my local Asda. I have shaved with the first blade out of the carton a total of 4 times and on the 5th occasion I looked at the blade to discover that the lubrication strip was completely gone on one side and badly faded on the other. I know they arent supposed to last for ever, but come on, at least attempt to play fair here or lets forget the whole charade and I'll just send you a cheque twice a year for a bit of sandpaper. Im not impressed P&G, not in the least. Im a man, if thats the best I can get then I pity half the population. If the rest of the carton performs this badly then I dont think you and I will be meeting at 6am much longer. To coin a phrase, its not me, its you!

sincerely
    BBDBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Let us know what response, if any, you get from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

will do

one thing I would add is that they certainly dont make it easy to receive customer complaints on their website. There "Contact Us" is actually a link to a list of FAQ questions which then ask for feedback if the answer was useful. Poor PR from a major global company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

cgarrad wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP-O-B-Razor-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B004W2UMDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359573347&sr=8-1

Product Features
    RazorPit removes the residues of hair and skin that make your razor blade feel dull
    RazorPit makes your razor blade last for up to 150 shaves
    RazorPit is made of recyclable materials that are also approved for use in the food industry
    RazorPit razor blade sharpener works with all razor blades
    Save up to 90 per cent on buying new razor blades and reduce polution

I bought this last week from Amazon - it is totally useless and a fraud imho. The reason is that the blades on Mach3 heads cannot actually make contact with the surface of this device because the guide-protectors at the sides and the pads on top and bottom are slightly raised - thus preventing any contact !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Piliger wrote: »
    I bought this last week from Amazon - it is totally useless and a fraud imho. The reason is that the blades on Mach3 heads cannot actually make contact with the surface of this device because the guide-protectors at the sides and the pads on top and bottom are slightly raised - thus preventing any contact !!!!

I put the side of the razor over the edge of the razor pit using downward pressure,seems to work.You can also use a pair of jeans (look up youtube)though I havn't tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I was gonna pick up a DE and try it as im gettin sick of mach blades, Has anyone ever used a DE with shaving oil, i just dont like foam or gel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

funkyouup wrote: »
    I was gonna pick up a DE and try it as im gettin sick of mach blades, Has anyone ever used a DE with shaving oil, i just dont like foam or gel

Have you tried proper shaving cream or shaving soap lathered and applied with a brush?
    I wouldn't recommend oil on its own - will not provide enough protection.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

funkyouup wrote: »

Haven't tried a shaving oil yet.

Try a soap. You can get a Palmolive soap stick in Tesco for about 70 cent. It's great stuff. You'd pick up a decent brush for a good enough price in Boots as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

To be fair lads i havent tried a proper foam, just been using oil for years with a mach3 and a razorpit, i was thinking about just getting a cheap DE one and seeing how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Piliger, do what everyone is saying, get a DE razor. I was in the same boat as you (as were everyone that changed) - DE razors looked a bit scary. I had one bought for me and had it for about 2 months before I used it! But it's great, actually look forward to shaving now which is weird.

Just an update ..
    I am very reluctant to go the DE route :) though never say never ... It will be the last resort :P

So .. I have delved into the world of Boots. I bought a 'Blade3' Boots branded hand razor in Boots last week for about 5 quid (with two blades) and have been using it on and off. I often don't shave for two or three days at a time btw.

I have to say the Blade3 are not bad. NOT as good as Gillette. But not too bad. I need to press far more lightly to avoid cuts, and I also take care to shave slowly. I do end up sometimes with a few spots of blood on my face, but it's manageable. As with all blades I always have to shave my moustache with an electric .... no blade ever does that job for me.

When I am shaving after only one day, I have now reverted to an electronic razor, followed by a gentle glide over with a blade. The combination is very quick and easy and does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Your fear and reluctance towards DE razors is totally unfounded.

If you really want to stick with cartridge razors try the twin blade Gillette Sensor - the model that was out before the Mach 3. Probably the last decent razor from gillette.

I get you. It's still on my mind :P
    If you really want to stick with cartridge razors try the twin blade Gillette Sensor - the model that was out before the Mach 3. Probably the last decent razor from gillette.
    I'll check that one too.

Great avatar btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Just do it.

I got the boots DE razor about 5 months ago and while I ruined my face the first few times I got used to it and found it a much better shave. No ingrown hairs and far less irritation. Tried a few different blades and settled on one which got rid of irritation completely.

I got a new badger brush, cream and Edwin Jagger razor a month ago and the difference again on the boots razor is amazing.

I actually enjoy shaving now and haven't nicked myself or got any irritation since I got the new razor.

Just do it, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've heard on another shaving obsessed site that the twin blade is the best disposable razor. Back when I used mach3 I used them weeks at a time.

A big benefit of DE shaving is that even the best blades are cheap. That means you can afford to change your blade twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I find the BIC disposable razors very good -
    re gillette blades, they are a rip off here, they are cheaper to buy abroad, so I stock up when i go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

newkie wrote: »

I've heard on another shaving obsessed site that the twin blade is the best disposable razor. Back when I used mach3 I used them weeks at a time.

A big benefit of DE shaving is that even the best blades are cheap. That means you can afford to change your blade twice a week.

Check out the starter sets on shaving.ie, everything you need to get started.

Advertisement