Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA (International) Spanish (DN533)

Options
  • 30-01-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I was thinking of doing this course next year and I haven't done Spanish in school but I know I can start from scratch next year.

What I was wondering can I do other languages as minors on this course (Portuguese/Italian preferably) or do you only do Spanish for the 4 years the website is a bit unclear.

Thanks for the help.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Just having a quick look at it does appear that you would be able to take minors in both of your preferred subjects (subject to places being available). This course isn't too far different from the General BA, except that you seem to spend a year abroad (3rd year) and there are a few more mandatory subjects on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm pretty sure the idea with that course is to do a BA like through DN500, but you do Spanish as one for definite (i.e. you can't drop it at all) and you spend a year in a Spanish speaking country. I think your other subjects can be anything you want, or languages only if you prefer that. So that'd mean you can do French, Spanish, German or Italian as a major, or do those as a minor and Portuguese is an option as a minor too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Think the only thing that can't be taken with Spanish is German, as they are in the same group, but some electives may be possible later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Maldesu wrote: »
    Think the only thing that can't be taken with Spanish is German, as they are in the same group, but some electives may be possible later on.
    I don't know about the OP's course, but I had the option of doing both, and lots of my friends are doing both in International Languages - it appears they changed the timetable for Spanish, because while German and maths are on at 9am often, Spanish never is. It might have been a change for everyone in arts, not sure though, but it's definitely possible in some ways.

Advertisement