Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation fee

Options
  • 30-01-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hello,

Not sure if anybody can help with this.
    I was living in UK, was due to buy a car in Scotland, had put down a £100 deposit on car to hold it until end of January when my finance came through, just lost my job at end of last week, so rang garage today to say won't be taking the car, not expecting my deposit back to be fair, and now I've been told that theres a cancellation fee of £500 becuase I'm not taking the car, and they have held the car for 3 weeks.
    I never signed any contract. And when I said this to the garage, they said the telephone payment was contract enough, despite them never telling me there was a cancellation fee. today is the first i heard of it.
    Is this legal ? What can I do ?
    Helo :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Tell them to sod off, and reject any charges on your credit card.

If they're going on a verbal contract, the details of which they never mentioned to you, then it's not much of a contract at all really.

Have you received any paperwork, emails etc. that may mention it? Is it mentioned anywhere on their website?

It's very, very unusual practice tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

They said they sent me an invoice, which i have not receieved. I got an email saying as they couldn't get in touch the car was going back up for sale. no mention of contract, cancellation fee etc in that.
    already cancelled the credit card much to my annoyance. but i dont trust them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You're asking on an Irish forum about a contract made in England possibly under Scots law. Just sayin...

Advertisement