Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 claim usage but modem switched off

• 30-01-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20

Hi,

My question is: can there be usage on a broadband SIM if modem is switched off??

I have been having a lot of trouble with 3 mobile broadband and finally switched back to eircom landline broadband just before Christmas. Issue was that I was getting very unreliable speed of approx 0.4mb at best most of the day (and no signal every 10min for couple mins then back to 0.3mb ish). Rang tech support endless times and their answer was to switch off modem when not use(impractical for me) along with keep it beside laptop. I specifically bought the Huawei b260a so it could be used throughout the house. Anyway first month was ok. Delighted with more the 1mb I had for years but it was hit and miss so I put it down to location in house and moved it around to different places. Upshot is that I kept on to tech support and they kept telling me I had 'adequate service' based on the total download for the month.
    Quote: According to diagnostics performed by our Technical Support Team in December, 2012, the speed that you’re getting is adequate. Therefore, they are unable to escalate it further.

On 23rd December I got eircom up and running so plugged out the 3 mobile modem and put it away.. Now 3 saying there is usage on my sim until 11th January 2013. Can anyone tell me how this is possible???

I have asked on every email since December to for them to cancel my account and waive the cancelation fee! They still haven't cancelled it saying my account must be cleared before they will close it. I have refused to pay them and by email I told them I won't answer 'UNKNOWN' phone numbers.. I want email records if they take it further. Anyway their staff are very unhelpful and try to be intimidating. Water off a ducks back here but they try.

Anyone have similar situations and how did it end?? I'm 6 months into the 12month contract by the way.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You bought midband, any speed is acceptable. Once it can connect thats "working" in their eyes.

Chances are the activity up to the 11th was the 30day billing period ending then, once you used it for the first day of the month thats a whole month locked in.

You're liable to pay the cancellation fee, you signed the contract. If I were you I'd try and do a deal for say 50% cancellation, not paying isnt going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Assuming its a bill pay, just because you don't use it doesn't mean they don't charge you. I would have thought going through a cancellation process would be the way to go rather than stopping using it and being surprised that they've billed you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

search boards for "3 Ireland formal complaint procedure" and deal with them that way by email, cc comreg at all times.

Advertisement