Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Road Deaths Fall 53%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The speed cameras have probably made a big difference too.
    On the stretch of road of the N76 (Callan Road) between Hotel Kilkenny and Cuffesgrange, there has been one fatality every year from '07-'10 (inclusive).
    Most of that section of road has been improved in the last couple of years and there is regularly a van/speed camera there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The speed cameras have probably made a big difference too.
    On the stretch of road of the N76 (Callan Road) between Hotel Kilkenny and Cuffesgrange, there has been one fatality every year from '07-'10 (inclusive).
    Most of that section of road has been improved in the last couple of years and there is regularly a van/speed camera there.

I wonder...yea I agree on certain stretches it has made a difference. But not as much as the improved roads have in my view.
    That stretch is awful, one of worst in Kilkenny. Ballyragget/Durrow to KK road is another biggy but not too bad on collisions. The N77 Ballysnaslee section (hilly crap bit on KK/Laois border) has been given more funding this year I read. Not sure if it will actually make it to construction this year but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Fewer cars on the road these days and most of the high risk group (M 17-25) either can't afford a car or have emigrated.

Good news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sky King wrote: »
    Fewer cars on the road these days and most of the high risk group (M 17-25) either can't afford a car or have emigrated.

Good news though.

I don't think traffic has dropped in proportion to the road deaths (which is a good thing indeed). I reiterate though, it's the roads. The motorways are infinitely safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

it would be fantastic news if no one was killed on our roads, no families grieving for a lost loved one, maybe one day we will achieve this goal.
    However the analysis of accidents suggest driver error is one of the main causes, the comment on the cuffesgrange part of the Callan road is correct it is beyond belief in this day and age, I think plans have been mooted for the last twenty years to straighten the road.
    The council and the NRA should be ashamed of themselves, someone said it has a nice road surface, that took long enough.
    The camera van, does it help on that stretch, doubt it but if it stops one accident then it is, but for years we had an old lad who drove a tractor into town on a regular basis, if he got up to 10mph you were lucky, he was having a good day, would he pull over to let the twenty or thirty cars pass him, not bloody likely, RIP.
    However we now have another old fella who might be a re-incarnation of the original, what do you do with double white lines, pass or travel at 10 or 15km's an hour.
    thank goodness we do not get many cyclists on the bends, at least the camera van will not bother them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement