Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child proofing presses

Options
  • 30-01-2013 10:07pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭

What do you use to childproof your cupboards and drawers? My young one has just started to go for the lower drawers. Not much in them, but if he notices the ones a little higher, it's where the sandwich bags are. I need to child proof them asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I just moved plastic bags, glass ware, knives/sharps, and especially all cleaning products up to high presses

I never used child locks, kids have great fun with saucepans . Have also lost a few boxes cereal/pasta but that not too bad

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's all the glass bowls I'm worried about. Cleaning products are in another room. Will move the plastic bags to the utility room tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We have these and find them great. No fiddling around with little catches inside the presses. We have a few of the 'keys' scattered around the kitchen so there's always one to hand and so far our little one hasn't managed to get them open!

http://inhealth.ie/Products/BabyDan-Magnetic-Lock-(Magnetic-Lock-and-Key)__40765.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I've just moved everything up, and resigned myself to pasta being poured over the floor now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Clippasafe-Cupboard-Locks-6-Pack/15163/3.17[/URL]

I used the clips in the link above. I have a lot of single door cupboards so Hesse fit on the inside and you simply press down to release - too tricky for small fingers though :-)

Just measure them correctly as otherwise you'll be locked as well :-D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

sillysocks wrote: »
    We have these and find them great. No fiddling around with little catches inside the presses. We have a few of the 'keys' scattered around the kitchen so there's always one to hand and so far our little one hasn't managed to get them open!

http://inhealth.ie/Products/BabyDan-Magnetic-Lock-(Magnetic-Lock-and-Key)__40765.aspx

We use these too.

You can't see them from the outside and once the kids are old enough, you just flick a switch to disable them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

We use the clips but leave them one press of their own to divert attention...put in innocuous stuff bibs tea towels etc..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I think we might mix it up a bit. There are presses where we can use a lasoo type thing, use string to tie 2 doors beside each other shut. There are corner units and drawers that we can put the magnetic lock on. I might have 1 drawer, with the tea towels, unlocked. Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

So far I have gotten away with not having to put locks on the presses. My little girl is nearly 14 months and stands in front of the presses wagging her finger and saying 'ah ah'.......just like I did everytime she tried to open them. Hopefully it will continue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We got away without having them for 16 months but gave in then!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We've got the clippasafe ones linked above on a few cupboards and drawers. It's more the bins our little guy is obsessed with. We had to do a bit of a mc gyver job with a few of those multi purpose locks and he's still managed to get one of them open...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Aldi or Lidl or both do a version of those clippasafe locks and they're great. We let the kids have one press for themselves and leave the saucepan and plastic container press unlocked. Never bothered with locks on the drawers either, just stocked the bottom two with harmless items like teatowels.

Advertisement